El Dorado Casitas Royale, by Karisma
The Royal Playa del Carmen(Playa del Carmen)
US$385
US$293
Bookit.com
US$650
US$303
US$430
US$318
Agoda.com
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda(Playa del Carmen)
US$583
US$258
Melia.com
US$605
US$455
Fairmont Mayakoba(Playa del Carmen)
US$486
US$344
Orbitz.com
  • Beachfront
Grand Velas Riviera Maya(Playa del Carmen)
US$15,600
US$562
Iberostar.com
  • Breakfast included
Valentin Imperial Riviera Maya(Playa del Secreto)(Great Value!)
US$448
US$362
Cancelon
US$551
TripAdvisor
5,623 results
All reviewsbeach butleroutdoor showercasitas sectionhealth barpersonal conciergesanta fe grillour honeymoonbellini barbeach bum vacationscandlelight dinner on the beachwine pairingroom servicegourmet inclusiveartificial reefcasita suitepool bartenderbeach beds
Reviewed February 24, 2012

This was a great place to get away from the cold. My wife and I loved it. Would highly recommend it. We wanted to especially thank our conceirge, Leise. She was very fun and helpful. The food was great. Small portions but many courses, so overall amount is more than enough.
We would definitely go again

• Stayed: February 2012
5  Thank Anthony32865
Reviewed February 22, 2012

another well run Karisma hotel resort. my wife and I had a very nice time. next time you go stop by casitas concierge and say hi to Allen Mason.
Food, service, facilty all to drawer. Our second visit there.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank m c
Reviewed February 22, 2012

This is the first resort that my wife and I would return to. We have stayed at a number of nice resorts, but this is the first time that we said that we could come back.

We were in the individual Casitas (2602 to be exact). The room was large, double vanity bathroom, king size bed with awesome pillows, clean, no bugs, separate deck bed. Highly recommended. I would recommend a ground-level Casita. The Casita experience was great; each set of Casitas has its own pool and swim up bar. Poolside/bar was never over crowded while we were there. As a small group of the same people showed up everyday, it is more social (and fun) than the huge pool experience. It was a short walk to the beach (downside - if you are beach people, the beach may be disappointing. It was hit hard by the hurricane in 2005).

Al a carte restaurants for lunch and dinner, and combination buffet/al a cartre for breakfast (as it should be). The restaurants reliably got what you order to your table hot. (I have had other experiences in different places). While seasoned for everyone, the food was tasty. House wine was okay; a Wine Spectator high-rated wine list was available at extra cost. Let me make this clear - food is better than average. Karisma (who the El Dorado resorts are part of) market their resorts as not "All Inclusive", but rather "Gourmet Inclusive".

Staff is incredible. Never met one that wouldn't bend over backwards for you. Most (all?) staff that you will interact with are fully fluent in English.

Demographics - an older crowd. It is an adult-only resort, so that bumps the age up a bit typically; and it is a higher end (but not necessarily high end) resort. Bottom line, tends towards the 40+ crowd (with some 30's, and fewer 20's).

This is definitely a resort you should look at. We have stayed at another Karisma Resort (Eldorado Seaside Suites on the Mayan), and like that one was well.

Room Tip: A ground-floor Casita is the way to go. Stay away from the jacuzzi, unless you are going to be a major user of it.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
7  Thank brucea
Reviewed February 20, 2012

We have been to Secrets Maroma, Excellence Playa Mujeres, and Excellence Riviera Cancun and a few other all-inclusive resorts that aren't worth mentioning. Hands down: Excellence Riviera Wins (we have been there 4 times). This time, we wanted to try something new so we checked out El Dorado Royale Casitas. I can't say we were disappointed (some things at El Dorado Royale Casitas were even better) but for your money, I'd do Excellence over and over again.

Pros for the Casita's: Rooms were awesome. Loved the outdoor shower. Beach was beautiful despite the large concrete geotextiles (beach whales). Food was good (not really any better than Excellence or Secrets). Nice lush jungle feel. Weather was great even at this time of year (nothing to do with resort really). Some of the waiters were really awesome. Other's just fine/nothing special. Really liked Gucaymaya's at night. Lots of fun and alot going on.

Average: Room location 2700's (see below), entertainment, Nothing special about Conceirge. They made our dinner reservations and that's it. Maid service spotty. Water and ice pop boys nice.

Cons: booked through Orbitz. The hotel had no record of our stay or that we were in the Casitas. Thank goodness I printed all of it off including my room type. We arrived at 1:00 and room was not ready by 3:00 so they moved us to another room that had no ocean view at all. Room was in building 2700's. Liked location (closer to main area's of hotel) but still far away enough to be quiet. We could walk with no problem. Would not have been happy all the way down in the 3200's-so far away.
Drinks were horrible!!!!!!!!! I mean very bad. It was to the point that I just started drinking water. Cokes were even bad at the bars. I don't know what the deal was or if they use a basic mix for all of their drinks but my husband agreed with me. Bartenders were poor except for only a few. We went one day to the hot tub in the Casita section, pool 31 at 4:50 and Maxamillion the bartender refused to service us a beer from tap. Bars close at 5:00. It's not like we asked him to mix us anything. He looked directly at my husband and said "no senior, bar closed" in a very rude voice. We were shocked. This would never have happened at Excellence. They are so generous at Excellence and go out of their way to make you happy (for example: go get a bucket of canned beers on ice and bring it to you).
Check out: We requested that the bellman show up at 12:00 to pick up our luggage. He showed up 5 till and my husband was not ready. We asked him to come back at 12:00 the requested time or within the next 15 minutes. He did not return. So we left our luggage at the door assuming he would be back to get it and take it to the front while we ate lunch. Shuttle arrives and we have no luggage. The bellman says he has been looking for us because he can't get into our room. Ok, our fault. We should have asked if he had a key or check prior to eating that it was picked up as requested. But we tell him we are in a hurry and we need our luggage asap because our shuttle is here. He says "sorry-can't get in your room now it's past check out and your key won't work" and goes to help another couple unload from a van pulling up. ????? How rude! Finally we find someone that can help us (manager of the bellman I think-super nice and gets it taken care of pronto with only causing about a 15 minute delay). But just so unprofessional because I guess he was angry that he had to come back for our luggage.
Also did not like the size of the resort. Way to big. Golf carts everywhere and always about to run someone over. Necessary for this size of a resort but so annoying and felt like at times we were in the city. Must always look left and right before crossing any path-especially at night.

Summary-I think I would be very happy if I hadn't been to Secrets and Excellence or if I wasn't a big drinker. So, if you booked here don't worry. It's really nice but if you have a reference Favorite in order: 1) Excellence Riviera, Excellence Playa Mujeres, Secrets Maroma (we were here when it first opened so it may be much better now-was just to boring and white at the time-vegatation had not grown yet and alot of people didn't know about it because it was only about 6 months old).
Recommendation: Stay a few days at various resorts if you are on a holiday a week or more. They are so close together it's really not a big deal to switch hotels. Cabs easy to get and safe.

Room Tip: Casitas nice but not sure it's worth it to pay extra unless your really concerned about privacy. I really liked the individual casitas. They are right next to beach and easy to access when you need to go to the restroom since public restrooms are far and few in between in the casita section.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
8  Thank crystalpalmer1
Reviewed February 17, 2012

My husband and I stayed in room 3116 at the Casitas Feb 1 - 8/12 and absolutely loved it. The resort was very well kept, super clean and tidy, service was excellent, the food! - the food was the best we have ever had at a resort. Being from Alberta, we are partial to our Alberta Beef, but I must say the steaks were fantastic! The seafood was great, the casual lunch corners were awesome. The Italian restaurant in the casitas section was particularly good, as was the asian inspired restaurant, Kampai (california rolls - yum!) While the portions of the appetizers seemed small, when you added in the soup, salad, entree and dessert, we were always full by the end! The resort is stretched out over quite a ways along the beach, but the shuttles were always running, and more frequently than the 20 min the little sign says plus the casual stroll was always welcome. The bartenders were very generous - yikes! The sandbags in the ocean were wierd to look at - at first - but when you appreciate the damage that the hurricane did and the resort's ecological approach to fixing the problem - I thought it was nice to see - I appreciate the consideration to the environment made throughout this resort. The fresh salsa was fantastic and if they grew all those tomatoes in the greenhouse on the resort - good for them. The outdoor showers were also great as it reduced the humidity in the room. Be sure to check out the crocodiles in the "wife pool". It was a great vacation - we will definitely go back again and again.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple