“Fabulous birthday stay!”

Ranked #1 of 2 Cranleigh B&B and Inns
Woking, United Kingdom
“Fabulous birthday stay!”
Reviewed 31 January 2012

I booked a one night stay (13/01/12) for my husbands birthday. On arrival we were greeted in a friendly and professional manner by John, who checked us in and showed us to our room in the new buildings.
It looked like a Barrett home from the outside, but as soon as John opened the door, we were really surprised. A spacious suite, with a king sized bed, sofa, quality furniture, lcd tv, kettle with huge cups, enough tea and coffee to last three days, yummy hot chocolate and cookies and the world's most comfortable armchair (of which I wanted to take home!). All this for just £50 for the night, including breakfast.
We went to the main building for dinner and we could not fault a single thing. I was recommended the wine of the month, which was lovely, and there were four real ales for my husband to chose from. We had a deli board to share, with the most scrummy cheese for starter, my husband had venison and I had fishcakes for main, both of which were divine and we had crème brulee for pudding, which was absolute heaven. The bill was very reasonable. Once we had finished our meal, the main pub was packed, however the restaurant staff said that we were welcome to stay at our table for as long as we wanted to.
After a good night's sleep and a revitalizing power shower, we went for breakfast. The 'snug' was open (had been closed off for a private party the night before). We sat next to a beautiful fire and had one of the nicest full english breakfasts we have ever had. The sausage and bacon were high quality, and the black pudding was very tasty and spicy. The eggs were poached to perfection. There was a good selection of cereals and toast, and pastries from the local bakery.
On checkout, we were wished a safe journey by John and his team.
The staff are friendly, professional and interested, without being intrusive. We would highly recommend a stay here.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Surrey
Reviewed 20 January 2012

My wife & I both work in Cranleigh but we wanted to stay overnight locally because of a friends birthday celebrations. I frequent the Richard Onslow quite regularly for lunch or after-work drinks.
At first, because I didn't want to spend a lot, I didn't even bother looking into the Richard Onslow because I thought it would be too expensive as I had heard that the owners had done a very good job on the rooms, just as they had with pub/restaurant. However, after searching the local area the cheapest b&b I could find was £70. I was about to tell my wife she was going to have to drive us home after the party ;) when I thought I might as well check the Onslow.
Lucky I did! £50 for b&b!!!! I booked immediately knowing that the room must be small but also knowing that we would be too drunk to care!
Upon arrival we were taken up to the room by a nice guy who explained it was only his 2nd day and hadn't really been round the rooms yet. He opened our allocated room and immediately closed it saying "this rooms too small - I'm not putting you in there. Please wait a second & I'll get another key". A couple of minutes later we were getting dressed in our huge room!
Anyway, we had a great sleep that night, lovely shower in the morning and a delicious breakfast (the food is always excellent) and thoroughly enjoyed our stay.
The lesson I learnt: don't judge a book by its cover. The new owners have refurbished the pub to a very high spec and turned it from the worst pub in the village to the best. Therefore I assumed the price would be extortionate - how wrong could I be.
We will be back!
Another nice touch was the iPhone dock in the alarm clock - an indication of their attention to detail.

• Stayed January 2012
london
Reviewed 16 December 2011

I was upgraded on arrival to a very comfortable room with all usual amenities, including tea coffee, biscuits etc. Warm and cosy on a cold night. Staff were very friendly and the breakfast excellent. A good base for a couple of nights to visit the scenic countryside of surrey and some beautiful pubs and retaurants.

Room Tip: I had room 3 - has a small hallway beyond the door with shower room on your right before a small sta...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
Arles, France
Reviewed 30 November 2011

We came over for a birthday party and stayed for 2 nights. We arrived after a long trip from France on a dark cold Friday afternoon having got lost across most of London's motorways. We stepped from this noisy hell into the Richard Onslow and immediately all was well. Within seconds we were being warmly greeted by name, our bags taken from our weary arms and we entered our beautiful character room to soothing classical music...ahhh bliss. Our excellent first impressions continued throughout our stay. The rooms are pretty and the bathrooms spotless. We chose the delicious cooked breakfast one morning and then continental the next. Unfortunately we were invited out every evening and missed dining at the pub ..we will come back ..!! When we were there it was Santa's breakfast morning...all the local kids came in for their presents. A lovely idea and we really got the impression that The Richard Onslow is very important to Cranleigh life and its community..respected and enjoyed by locals and those passing through.

An extremely well managed elegant and vibrant establishment. We took a shine to Cranleigh 'biggest village in England'" ( as the locals told us about 200 times) and would not stop by with out paying a visit to the Richard Onslow. Cheers to John and all the staff !

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank eloise g
Lihfield
Reviewed 27 November 2011

The whole Onslow experience is superb. The ambiance is trendy but welcoming. The food is special, the rooms are interesting, inviting and welcoming. The staff are extremely friendly and nothing is too much trouble.

We look forward to returning to the Richard Onslow sometimes soon.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
London
Reviewed 9 October 2011

We went down to this venue for a slightly more grown up hens do, and had a wonderful time. Food was great, staff were lovely, and the venue worked really well for a fun and lively night.

Accommodation: We were 8 people and stayed across 6 of the rooms. The largest room is the oldest with the wattle and daub walls. Very cute with a low door that you step up into the bedroom, and fabulous big bathroom with a freestanding clawfooted bath. Very good quality renovation which keeps the feeling of the old building, but everything you expect from a lovely hotel. Somewhat slopey floors, so be a little aware as you enter the room.

The other rooms were all very clean, well renovated and what you would hope for in a boutique hotel. Charming, without being too cutsey, or too generic, and all really good sizes. There is one tiny room that has a low roof over a bed, and a very tiny door into a full size bathroom. Definitely a 'small' room, but really cute for a couple, or as a second room. I loved it, and again it was really in keeping with the venue, but there wasn't really any space to move around in the room. I think it is clearly sold as a 'box' room, and if you don't book it, at least ask to have a quick look!

Food and Pub: We ate dinner in the private room. This has a curtain across which makes it nice and cosy, but at the same time getting the atmosphere from the pub. Excellent food, good wine and we were treated very well from start to finish.

The rest of the bar/restaurant is also very nice, with a good menu. On the second night we ate outside in the garden (in the October heatwave) and there was a quiz night. Good service, relaxed and fun staff, which made it very enjoyable.

Staff: The staff were friendly and helpful. I don't really like over-the-top attention, so they struck the right balance of being friendly without being intrusive. Special mention goes to the lovely bartender who carefully wrote out road by road directions for us to go walking up at Pitch hill.

The pub overall is a good mix of tradition and boutique hotel. We had a fabulous time, and would recommend to anyone.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank wanderer76London
Reviewed 12 September 2011

Lovely location, rooms, food. Staff are incredibly friendly, helpful and accommodating! Definitely be back.

• Stayed September 2011
1 Thank Sophielouisegerrie
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cranleigh
7.1 km away
13.2 km away
Holiday Inn Guildford
Holiday Inn Guildford
#3 of 11 in Guildford

Been to The Richard Onslow? Share your experiences!