Murphy's Farmhouse
US$168
Agoda.com
TripAdvisor
TripAdvisor
All reviewsdingle peninsulasconesring of kerrylarge double bedb beach morningfamily pubfull irish breakfastroom was very clean and comfortablesalmonfront of the housecontinental breakfastwithin walking distanceon arrivalstayed one nightfresh fruitnext morning
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 13 June 2010

My wife and I just returned from a self-drive trip to Ireland. Our first stay was at Murphy's Farmhouse in Boolteen's Village just outside Castlemaine in County Kerry. You will be hard put to find a more delightful place to stay. We arrived about 3:00 in the afternoon and were greeted by Mary Murphy who welcomed us, showed us our room and then asked if we would like tea. We accepted and it was the best tea we have ever had. The farmhouse is located 100 yards off a road perhaps 300 yards from the village. In the background are mountains. Mary's house is partially covered with ivy and she has roses and other flowers to welcome you. An easy and pleasant walk of 10 minutes takes you to the village where there is a choice of two pubs for sandwiches and a Guiness. The room was very large with a queen size bed which was very comfortable. The shower was great, a lot of power. The room was very comfortable. We had our first Irish breakfast with Mary Murphy. You will not go hungry. Mary served eggs, sausages, bacon (which is more like our ham) and black and white pudding. There was also fresh juice, cereals, breads. And Mary served tomatoes and mushrooms with breakfast. The puddings are different for Americans, but it was a great meal. We stayed two nights and Mary's hospitality was incredible. The farmhouse is also centrally located for going to Dingle or getting over to Killarney to tour the Ring of Kerry. Dingle is less than an hour even when you don't know how to drive on the left. Take your time, relish the oppotunity to meet and have interaction with the wonderful Irish people. And don't stay in hotels. Stay in wonderful places such as Mary Murphy's Farmhouse.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank prabedky
Reviewed 21 June 2009

Murphy's Farmhouse was an excellent location for touring Dingle Peninsula, Ring of Kerry, Tralee and other areas in the southwest of Ireland. Enormous breakfast with many choices, comfortable rooms, powerful showers, room straightened and fresh towels every day. Mary Murphy's beautiful flowers in front of the house added to the beauty of the area.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 September 2008

I booked my stay at Murphy's farmhouse based on reviews I had read. My room was lovely, very comfortable and roomy. The bathroom was tiny. Sitting on the toilet my knees touched the wall. Could not be claustrophobic and use that bathroom.
I could not get anyone to answer the door when I arrived. I rang the bell and knocked numerous times. Finally, I called on my cell phone and told her I was standing in her hallway.
The owner furnished tea and cookies when I arrived. That was a nice treat on a rainy day.
The breakfast was standard and the service was pleasant. I did not see the owner again after I checked in.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 January 2008

Murphy's Farmhouse is so called because it is a huge old farmhouse that has been converted into a B&B with loads of rooms.

The rooms are comfortable with showers ensuite. As the building is old, the floors and staircase creak but that adds to the charm.

The menu for breakfast was vast as were the delicious breakfasts themselves.

Booltens is a small village - if you blink, you might miss it. But it does have 2 pubs - one, the Anvil Bar is very quaint and has delicous pub food. We didn't go into the other called Murphy's.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled with family
1  Thank LeeBZA
Reviewed 9 October 2007

When we first pulled up to this beautiful, large farmhouse, we saw a big bus in front of it and thought we had no chance of getting the 3 rooms we needed, but decided to ask anyway. We were so thrilled that they had 3 ensuite rooms available for the 6 of us. They said the bus was actually a school bus that Mrs. Murphy's son drives and not a tour bus at all even though it looked like a tourbus. Mrs. Murphy gave us tea and cookies right away. We were so excited later that evening when her adult son let us watch him put the cows and bull up for the evening and showed us where they were milked twice a day and told us interesting stories about the cows. We all slept well and appreciated that each room had so many extras.
The breakfast was great! We loved staying here and have decided that farmhouse B & B's are the best!

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled with family