My wife and I stayed at the Elgin NorKhill for New Years eve as a treat for ourselves. We arrived after a few days of rough travel in the north of Sikkim so it was heavenly considering what we had been in. This is a great heritage hotel, well maintained with pleasant staff. As we had also stayed in the Elgin Darjeeling and visited the Elgin in Pelling, it unfortunatley isn't comparable as it is in a larger town with a poorer location and views. This is no reflection of the staff or comfort of this hotel. We had a wonderful and comfortable stay.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Elgin Nor-Khill ("the house of jewels")is known for its tradition and ethnic Sikkimese ambiance. It is now a luxury heritage property. The Kanchan garden affords a rich view of the hills with the Mount Kanchenjungha in the background, which inspired the Chogyal (King) of Sikkim to paint for hours. The Elgin Nor-Khill was built by the King of Sikkim in 1932 and is the oldest heritage property in Gangtok, the property has played host to numerous celebrity guests such as his holiness The Dalai Lama, Hollywood stars Sir Richard Gere, Michael Douglas and Shirley Maclaine, the US Ambassador to India His Excellency John Galbraith and many more. The lobby is resplendent in the bright folk Sikkimese art with design motifs depicting dragons and flame symbols to thankas and ornate Sikkimese furniture (bachu, chocsue) and traditional jewelry. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity.ca, Agoda and Cancelon so you can book your The Elgin Nor-Khill, Gangtok reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Elgin Nor-Khill Gangtok Hotel Gangtok
- Nor Khill Gangtok
- The Elgin Nor-Khill, Gangtok Sikkim