“The best breakfasts I had during my 20 days in Europe, rooms not so good.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Nancy Sud

Hotel Nancy Sud
Seattle, Washington
“The best breakfasts I had during my 20 days in Europe, rooms not so good.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2012

I stayed here for almost a week while on business at the neighboring Faculty of Medicine. I was able to walk there each morning and didn't have to deal with cabs or the tram. The front desk girls are very kind and helpful and speak decent English. We were able to communicate very well. The other reviewers are right about the rooms. The inside and outside of this hotel isn't very nice. I actually rebooked my hotel to another location for my last week here so that my wife wouldn't have to sleep here when she came to France to visit me; however, I found that during my 20 day stay I couldn't find a breakfast as good as Hotel Campanile's and I regretted that my wife and I were having such a difficult time finding a breakfast we liked while she was here.

The breakfast buffet had at least five kinds of breads including baguettes and croissants that were incredible. It was like they had their own gourmet patisserie hiding somewhere in the back. Fresh fruit selection was incredible and I especially loved the gourmet fruit cocktail and the cherry fruit cocktail. I put them in a bowl 50/50 split and added delicious yogurt over the top every morning. There were several kinds of yogurt, including greek style. They had cold cuts and cheese, fresh crepes and marmelade. Way too much stuff to remember, but I do remember how much I loved breakfast each morning.

Dinners there were kind of difficult because my French is limited and the waitress couldn't speak any English at all. She seemed to not like helping me. Not outright rude, but not smiling when she would come over. I somehow ended up with french fries each night, which I don't care for. The food was high quality for a hotel like this and the people are nice, the language barrier was just very intimidating each night. My last night there I actually ordered with the front desk lady and had it made to go so I could just eat in my room. I will say that each dinner I had there was very good. I obviously just need to learn more French if I am going to a non-international city like this.

The bed was semi-comfortable, but not optimal. Sound insulation? Forget about it. I didn't sleep well because there always seemed to be something going on outside in the parking lot. It was raining heavily while I was staying here and frogs would wake me up around 4am almost every night.There was large diesel truck commotion outside each morning around 5:30am, possibly garbage service, and when I would get back to sleep from that someone would go outside and warm up their car for 10-15 minutes because of the heavy frost. My sleep quality wasn't very good while staying here. The convenience to Faculty of Medicine allowed me to sleep in a little since I didn't have to allow time for cab or tram rides.

It was a strange imbalance of incredible breakfast and delicious dinner, but poor exterior and rooms.

Room Tip: I don't think there are any really good room choices. I imagine they are all the same.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
      Sleep Quality
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2010

This hotel looks good in photos but thats about it. The room we were given was a damp, dark, ground floor room which had mild ant infestation. Sound insulation was poor resulting in being woken up by other residents in the car park as rooms open directly outdoors. In addition, the following morning, the receptionist was rude and unfriendly when I needed to use the wi-fi in the main restaurant area, because there was no signal in the room. The default answer was 'No' or rather 'Non' - not a response expected from someone in the service industry. Parking is easy but the hotel is far out of town. If you do have to stay at this hotel, ask for a room on the 1st floor. Overall not recommended as very poor value for money.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Travellers are raving about these Vandoeuvre-les-Nancy hotels

Sofia, Bulgaria
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2009

Stayed there for two nights in March 2009 with my partner and our 10-months old baby.
The place is more like a motel than a hotel and definitely not worth the EUR74 a night for the three of us. (The night before we came here we stayed at a 5-star hotel in Brussels for just EUR85!)
Must say the rooms are not very clean and look shabby. We asked for and were provided a baby crib but we chose to use our baby linen - the hygiene there is not the strong point. The bathroom and the towels were in the same condition - not clean and shabby. We asked the maid to come later to clean up the room and we never saw her again during the whole stay...
There is an LCD TV set in the room - just 10 channels, all in French so we didn't have much use of it. Didn't test the wi-fi they boast so no opinion here.
People at the reception desk were nice but we didn't have any need for them so my opinion there is irrelevant.
The location was OK as we had some business in a place just 100 m away. It is some 6.5 km far from Nancy center but a tram stops near by and if you are with a car you have no problem. Almost no shops nearby - a fast food restaurant at the back of the hotel and not a good one at that. Otherwise the place looks quiet and green but you can clearly hear the highway traffic from about a kilometer away.
Breakfast was EUR8 per person and was nothing special really - continental one with a little choice of food and drinks...
The parking is open and not guarded so beware - keep no valuables in your car at night. We didn't have any problem but we were warned about that.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vandoeuvre-les-Nancy
0.2 km away
4.6 km away
Hotel Revotel
Hotel Revotel
#16 of 40 in Nancy

Been to Hotel Nancy Sud? Share your experiences!