All reviews omelette orange juice cold meats southern france relaxing stay william jam butter countryside setting patio cereal beds owner
Reviewed June 2, 2018

I stayed at this hotel for 2 weeks in May 2018 for a work trip. I am a consultant and travel regularly and we have a facility at Fos-sur-mer that I was working at for 2 weeks. Previously I have stayed at different hotels around the region and never found an acceptable hotel. This is the first hotel I would go back to for another stay.

The hotel is a little out of the way, in the countryside so it is for people who like staying in places like Centerparcs or who really want a relaxing stay in the country.

The hotel rooms are not huge but the beds are very comfortable and the pillows were just right for me - one of the only hotels I have ever been at where I didn't want to complain about the pillows being far too soft. There is air conditioning in each room and the rooms are not huge so the air conditioning works very well. Shower and bathroom worked well and were clean. Free toiletries were basic but most people bring their own so it didn't bother me. There is a fridge in the room with a couple of free bottles of water to start you off and I used it to keep drinks etc. Wardrobe etc. was there in the room but I tend to live out of my suitcase. I got a good night's sleep every single night with no problems.

Wifi was adequate but not exceptional. There are a few routers around the place and occasionally one can lose signal and you need to switch to another. It tended to happen two or three times a night but wasn't too annoying. For a hotel in the middle of a national park, it was better than I expected.

The real quality of the hotel comes in the food and service. Breakfast is a little more personal than at most hotels. When I checked in, it was very relaxed - didn't want to see my passport of take a deposit of my credit card. I was handed my keys and directed to my room but I was asked what time I would want breakfast. It is a strange question to be asked. Usually I get told what time breakfast is. Anyway, I turned up for breakfast the next morning and MY table was set for one and it was just for me. Having your own table set for you at a hotel is a surprisingly 'personal' experience and a very nice touch. Breakfast was a feast brought to your table - bread, butter, jam etc., cold meats, yoghurts, fruit, tea/coffee, orange juice, cereal and milk and then you are asked if you'd like some scrambled eggs or an omelette. The breakfast is more than adequate and very civilised.

The restaurant is open every evening except Monday and is also open Sunday lunchtimes. The food is superb and very low priced. I generally had fillet steak most nights with pepper sauce and fries and it cost ~35 Euros and was superb quality. The steaks are cooked on an open wood fired hob in the restaurant itself. A full 3 course meal of exceptional quality would usually be ~50 Euros which is probably the best bang-for-buck restaurant I have ever been in. The service is generally superb in the restaurant as well.

All the staff always give you the impression that they are very keen to make your stay pleasant. They take every opportunity to talk to you and get to know you personally.

The whole hotel is joined to neighbouring property and generally the dogs from the adjoining properties tend to roam about and are very friendly and not intrusive. We have dogs at home so being able to scratch one behind the ear on a morning on the way to breakfast was not unpleasant.

I have stayed in Martigues, Carry Le Rouet, Arles in the area and this hotel is the best value for money. Arles has some nice hotels but they are more expensive and fill up in summer. Martigues and Carry Le Rouet hotels were especially poor quality. Le Vallon de Gayet was superb and only cost 110 Euros per night compared to more than double that in Arles.

You do need a car to get to the hotel and to get around the region so I wouldn't try to get around on taxis if you are visitting this region. The hotel has ample parking and some of it is right outside your room. Very handy for those with a heavy case.

I am going back to Southern France for work again at the end of August. I have already booked to go back to this hotel.

Room tip: Room 26/27/28 have a little stream running by at the edge of the property and the sound of running water can be very relaxing and soothing.
Date of stay: May 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed October 26, 2017

If you want to escape and unplug for a time this is the place to go! Great rooms, quiet, peaceful location. Spacious rooms by european standards, every room has a patio and private bath. The owners and their family have lived here for generations. The restaurant is outstanding with a great local wine selection. Can't wait to come back!

Room tip: All of the rooms here are excellent
Date of stay: May 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed June 10, 2016 via mobile

The meat is very good. Cooked over a wooden fire. From small to large to extremely large! You will not leave the table hungry. If you are vegetarian then try out the Pizzas. They are very good. I personally don't like Pizza, but this time I eat half of my girlfriends Pizza!

Date of stay: June 2016
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed February 9, 2016

My husband and I have stayed in this wonderful family-owned and operated country hotel with restaurant several times. The proprietor, William, is a delight! He is very helpful with information about great places to visit, including directing us to the best local wineries and olive oil sources...all with a smile and a little joking. His lovely wife will serve a nice breakfast on your private patio or in the hotel breakfast room in front of a roaring fire. We were there on my birthday, and when my husband mentioned it to our waitress at dinner (on the restaurant patio), they dimmed the lights and everyone sang Happy Birthday to me...a lovely and unforgettable gesture. I cannot recommend Le Vallon de Gayet more enthusiastically! You will love it!

Date of stay: August 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed December 17, 2015

We had a near perfect stay in this hotel during March 2015. Log fires at both dinner and breakfast, good food (probably one of the best breakfasts in our fifty years of travelling in France) and friendly staff - with an owner who wanted to tell us of his affection for England and in particular Bath Rugby Club. Easy to park although slightly less easy to find this hotel is laid out in motel style with several parking places and the whole area protected by electric gates. The rooms are large, the beds are comfortable - what more could we want? We will be back.

Room tip: All seem equally accessible. Would be excellent for wheel-chair and pram users.
Date of stay: March 2015