4,873 results
All reviews rose hall suites mo mo star friends lazy river aunt ruby crazy kenny the mediterranean restaurant montego bay infinity pool swim up bar kids club steak water polo noodles entertainment staff beach resort specialty restaurants
Reviewed July 31, 2011

I just came back from the iberostar rose hall suites. One word- AMAZING!!!! I cannot say enough about this hotel. It was everything that an all-inclusive should and could be and more. The customer service from check-in to check-out was phenominal. The food...... i think I gained 50lbs. Everything that we ate was great. No complaints there whatsoever. The only problem was, where to eat. The grounds were impecible, and the treatment at the pools were great. Someone was always making rounds to make sure that you were taken care of.
I'm already planning my return trip in a couple of months. i would recommend this hotel to everyone. My only issue, would be housekeeping. When they came, they did a great job, but they came usually around 12-1pm, which is kind of late for me. Also to get a washcloth sometimes, was quite a hassle. Overall it was the best vacation i've had in a long time.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank nikki612
Reviewed July 29, 2011

The greatest compliment we can pay to this wonderful resort is that we were saddened to leave and cannot wait to return. All five of us (wife, myself, 25 yr old daugther, her fiance, and my 18 yr old son) agreed that this was the best AI that we had stayed at (that includes multiple stays at Riu Palaces and other 5-star properties in the Caribbean).

The property is immaculate with workers constantly mopping and cleaning the gleaming marble and stone throughout. Upon entering the glorious lobby we looked out into the lush garden and the glistening Caribbean water. We were welcomed at the lobby bar with meticulously made "Bob Marley" shots by one of the many friendly and smiling bartenders. After the quick check-in, we made our way to our spacious suites (we did have to change from one room because of a closed-in musty smell, the second room was perfect). The food at the buffet was absolutely fabulous. I tried some authentic Jamaican fare (oxtail, curried goat, jerk chicken, etc) for the first time and it was very tasty. My personal favourite was the delicious mango served at breakfast and dinner, but without exaggeration, everything my family ate was delicious. The infinity pool was beautiful and lively, and the activity pool a little quieter except for the odd game of water volleyball. Plenty of loungers were available at any time of day (although, as previously noted in reviews, they are kind of flimsy). If there was one part of the stay that was not 5-star, it would be the beach. Although quite nice, it wasn't as beautiful as Punta Cana or Bahamas beaches. For the most part, on the shore the sand was soft and powdery, but in the water there were some tiny rocks. The beach is very secure with security personnel present at all times, and the only peddlars we saw stayed in the water and were only seen in the morning. I spoke with a few and they are delightful people who enjoyed talking to us even though we didn't buy anything.

We did a day tour with KnowJamaicaTours run by Marva Shaw and her trusted driver Avril and were treated to a personal tour of Dunn's River Falls, White River tubing, and Ochos Rios shopping. I booked with Marva from Toronto and worked out the details with her when we arrived, I highly recommend her.

And now, for our favourite and most memorable part of our vacation....the Star Friends. They were absolutely outstanding and made our vacation the best that we could possibly have had. We became very close with a few of them, if not all, and they entertained us at all times. They work extremely long hours and are constantly full of energy and verve. They encouraged us to join in on the many activities planned, and in the evening got all of us up to dance before the shows, which btw were very enjoyable. Special mention has to be given to Lady Renee for her wonderful personality and genuine affection for our entire family. MoMo is an incredily funny entertainer. Krazy Kenny, OMG, Kiki, Happy Feet, and Bruce were all magnificent and unforgettable with special talents.

In conclusion, Jamaica is a beautiful island with beautiful people and we highly recommend the Iberostar Rose Hall Suites to help make your Jamaican stay a memorable one.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank CabanaBoyToronto
Reviewed July 28, 2011

Came back this year with my 17 month old son. Last year, we were at the Rose Hall Beach, and wanted a little change. The hotel, the food, the pool - everything was still as excellent!

A little background: my husband and I are in our early 30s and have travelled extensively pre-baby: carribeans, europe, asia and africa.

Pros:
- Location: 15 minutes from the hotel!!! How great is that with a toddler?!?!?!
- Excellent food. With a toddler who usually goes to bed at 6h30, we weren't able to go to any of the restaurants. But, we definitely never tired of the buffet! Always a very diverse selection, we over-ate every night! We didn't need to bring any special food for my son.
- Beach and Pool - chairs with umbrellas were always available. Bar service with the waiters on the beach was great. Obviously, this isn't the place for the biggest beach or necessarily the whitest sand and yes, there is some seaweed, but that's nature. The staff does their best to clean it up, but really, not a big deal. There are 2 great size pools and a lazy river that we used every day.
- Room: the rooms at the suites are definitely bigger than at the beach resort, I would about one and a half times. Lots of room for my son to run around in! There is a great sitting area and the balcony is super private. Double sinks in the bathroom a major plus! They say they fill the fridge every 2 days, but it was filled daily. They even brought us milk for our son! Had room service the first night there because we came in after 10 PM, the menu said a wait time of 45 minutes, but we got everything within 20 minutes. The crib that was brought to us was very useful and safe.
- service: don't expect the same service as in cuba or mexico, where they all over you for tips. The waitresses are much more casual but there is also some more exceptionnal people. We didn't always tip for everything, only if we thought that we had received excessively good and genuine service.
Con:
- There was only one con for us - there was no "kiddie" pool. One of the pools has a shallow side that becomes deep pretty fast for a toddler. A separate pool for younger kids would have been nice, but then again, it is still a pretty small all-inclusive resort, so it would have probably taken away from the charm.

We are definitely planning to go back next year with friends with babies!!!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
6  Thank workhardtravellots
Reviewed July 28, 2011

I came with my mom and sister back in Feb, and this time came back with just my sister. I was a little nervous that it might be different this time, but I was definitely wrong.

We checked in and were, surprisingly, upgraded to the Grand (I reviewed the hotel over on the other page). I wasn't sure if we wanted to accept the upgrade because we loved the Suites, but the gentleman at the front desk said that we only had to sleep there and we could spend our time at the Suites. Since that's what we did, I felt that I should come back here to review as well.

First let me say that everyone here has incredible memories. Not only did the Star Friends remember us immediately (we made quite a scene by the pool when we arrived and saw everyone again!), but so did some of the bartenders and waitresses. I was happy to see that Rose-Ann is still at the buffet and Christopher still at the pool bar (and no longer a trainee!).

The food was just as good as last time - I still love the Mediterranean one, though I've heard the Japanese one is really good as well. The buffet always has plenty available, and lots of variety so it doesn't get boring. Apart from Rose-Ann, Richardo at the buffet was awesome. Even when he wasn't our waiter he would always come over to chat - such a nice guy!

Lots of activity on the pool deck, as usual. My sister did aerobics and darts a few times, and I tried archery twice with Happy Feet and reggae dance once by the pool. My sister also participated in one of the crazy games... see attached picture. Lots of fun. As I mentioned before the Star Friends are amazing. There were a couple new ones (Bruce and Lady Rae) that we didn't know, but by the end of the week they felt like friends. If you get involved, it's so much more fun to be there.

You can try SCUBA in the pool each day. I did it last time with Tristan, and my sister did it this time with Sinan. Good intro, but you can also go further and do a couple dives in the ocean. I will definitely do that next time - the cost isn't too bad. Make sure you go down to the dive shop... you can get snorkel gear, kayaks, etc to take out.

We hung out at the 'popcorn bar' (the bar just off of the lobby that serves the best popcorn) pretty much every night before dinner. Onika is one of the nicest girls I've met - she asked our names once and remembered every night we saw her. So sweet and so helpful. Ricardo at the bar is also great!

The shows are always fun... the audience really makes a difference, so try to participate! The beach party on Saturdays is entertaining, too. We went to the disco quite a bit. Fridays and Saturdays are the busiest nights. We always find that it's more fun when the Star Friends are there; we usually left when they did. Karaoke is on Tuesdays, and that's always entertaining as well.

We didn't do any excursions, but we ventured out to Ocho Rios one day with a friend. I'm not sure I'd recommend doing it alone - go with a local who knows the areas, or with an organized tour. I wouldn't have felt entirely comfortable if we had been alone. Jamaica on the resort is different than Jamaica off the resort. No less amazing, but very different.

I loved it just as much as the first time... maybe more. Be sociable and participate and you will have a great time. Definitely recommend!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank Eatwell_traveloften8
Reviewed July 28, 2011

Was my first all inclusive holiday. My fear that the room/food/bar/beach, one or the other not being good would ruin the trip, never was an issue. The staff, hotel, food, room and drinks were great. I travelled with my 19 year old son. He had a great time with people his age at one of the many bars they could choose from. I enjoyed the quiter times and getting up before noon to read by the pool or beach. The food was great, I found the buffet and steak resturant just fine. If you plan on going to one of the specialty resturants book the dates as sooon as you arrive. The beach on this side of the island is protected so you don't get the great waves. However if travelling with youg kids, you will feel better at the beach. All kinds of day trips you can book right in the lobby. If you don't want to be around younger kids do not book during any school breaks. In my mind we were all kids once so did not bother me much however, some go on holidays to get away from kids/noise. Hotel staff were great, rooms clean and very nice washrooms. I was very happy with the trip.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family