“STAR FRIENDS”

Iberostar Rose Hall Suites
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Rose Hall
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 3 January 2010

I went on a trip with my family of five. My wife and I brought our three children to Jamaica for the second time. We have a 22 and 26 year old daughter and a 25 year old son. We have traveled to countless resorts and we felt that the Entertainment staff at the hotel was fantastic!
They were all very friendly but were not overwhelming. They were also very respectful. They always made sure we were having a great time and were really there to help us out. Out of all the places we have traveled this is one place we know for sure we will go back and we can thank the Entertainment staff for this. Blanka, Carlos, Noodle, Monkey, and Ras Slick were fantastic! When you go make sure to find them!

3  Thank Rsarrm
Write a ReviewReviews (4,534)

Reviewed 3 January 2010

I travelled here with my parents, brother and two small kids. I have to say the place was wonderful. It was beautifully set up, the pools were great, especially for the kids and overall, we had a wonderful week. If I had to list out negatives, I would just say the following:

1. They are not suites in the full sense of the word, but are big rooms and very comfortable. I had my kids with me, and they slept in the beds while I was in the "suite" which was a sofa bed. Comfortable non the less and the kids could slep while I watched tv and read

2. The restaurants aren't very good and make you reserve. we went to a cajun place that was empty and they almost ddn't let us in becase we did't have a reservation. We said we would leave if the place suddenly filled (which it didn't)/ The buffets though were fantastc = we went there with the kids each night and they were more than happy. So were we ultimately. it ended up being te best deal

All in all, for an all inclusive resort, this place is terrific

3  Thank citimama
Reviewed 3 January 2010

This was our second trip in 6 months - we were here in July and had a great time so HAD to get back for more good times. As usual the food was delicious and the service was really good too, except I must say the beach service was extremely lacking. During the summer we had Oliver and he was the BEST beach server - always polite and always coming around. This time, we were lucky to get 2 rounds of drinks from the server who would disappear for hours. I really did NOT enjoy getting up to get myself a drink when I wanted one. Yeah you can say lazy, but I am on vacation and bust my butt at home so I want some pampering.

I have to say the Star Friends are the best, most fun team and are the main reason we came back and would return again. Lashana and Monkey and Noodle (definitely my son's favorite) and Carlos and Blanka and Kenny and newbies Tobi, Conrad and Slick. Lots of fun. They go out of their way to make you feel comfortable and when you have fun they have fun with you. The audience participation shows they put on are hysterical. Too bad that Marvin and Georgia are gone. We missed seeing and hanging out with them this time.

Great to see Shenike in the lobby bar again. She is a hardworking cocktail waitress.

Tipping is something that we typically do - and would do whether in an AI or not, but many people do not. Even a buck or two to the servers and bartenders would be a nice show of appreciation now and then. One thing irked me - there was a big group of about 14 people on the beach and they were running the one waitress ragged - she would bring 2 drinks and then other people would order and she would bring another round and then 1 more would order. In a 20 minute period she was serving drinks 6 damn times!!!! back and forth and back and forth and back and forth. Just goes to show the classness nature of some people!!! They were running her ragged without even so much as a dollar tip or a thank you.

If Less or Dave or Greg or Tree see this - hey guys we MUST keep in touch. I will be e-mailing soon. Maybe we can meet back here in June. The kids had such a good time hanging together.

I really cannot add anything to what has already been said - except that we will be back there again in 6 months because that is just how much we love this place.

5  Thank Metsfan16
Reviewed 3 January 2010

Our family traveled to Jamaica on Dec 26 and stayed until December 31. We have been to all-inclusive resorts all over the world and this by far was the best. The hotel was clean and every room had a magnificent view if you asked for ocean view. We have come to find that the entertainment staff makes and breaks your trip and this staff was well above any staff we have been with. They were terrific and constantly got everyone involved in all there activities and had people laughing constantly. Whether it was Blanca and Noodle leading the water aerobics, or Carlos leading the volleyball games, the staff was amazing. This hotel would not have been enjoyable without any of these members on the staff. The crazy games were hilarious the countless and unforgettable pictures will last a lifetime.
The shows at night were so professional and the best we have seen at an all-inclusive. The staffs tootie frutie show was a comedy spectacle and that put so much work into it and the crowd was laughing the entire show. The beach was great with soft sand that did not scorch your feet and the pool and lazy pool were terrific.
The bartenders had a smile on their faces everyday and were always ready to serve you. The hotel amenities were at a premium and there was something to do for everyone, jazz bar, disco, slot machines, cigar bar, spa, workout room, basketball courts you name it they had it.
The trip[ was great and i would recommend it to everyone. We would like to thank the entire staff they all did a great job Krazy Kenny was a great leader and dancer and his fellow workers especially Blanca, Noodle, Carlos Raz-slick, to whom we spent our most time with and who were always smiling and treating us with the utmost respect and were always willing to make our stay a better time, Monkey and Conrad were always great as well whenever we had a chance to be with them and share our vacation with them. I can't stress how important a staff makes an all-inclusive vacation but they are at the top of the leader board after being to over 5 all-inclusive prior to the Rose Hall Suites.Thanks for everything. Amazing Hotel!!!!

• Stayed: December 2009
6  Thank shareyoumotto
Reviewed 2 January 2010

We stayed at the Rose Hall Suites from November 29 - December 6, 2009. We were booked to stay at the Beach resort, but we were upgraded to the Suites, as the Beach was closed for renovations. We were impressed by the friendliness of the staff and the resorts beautiful. We found the food to be amazing. The steak and beef we had was similar to anything we've had at home. The room was beautiful and the bed comfortable, which to me is important. The only downfall this resort would have would be its beach. It didn't compare to what we saw in Negril or have had in the past in Punta Cana, D.R. The day trips to Negril and Ochos Rios were amazing. We woudl recommend this resort to anyone.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank marigold1978
Reviewed 31 December 2009

We have stayed at Iberostar Suites Montego Bay at least four times and it just keeps getting better. The hotel staff are amazing and the check in process is extremely quick in comparison to some of these other big named hotels. The restaurants are to die for and I mean all of them. The buffet alone is outstanding - we have two children and for them to have fresh hot donughts made at breakfast started their day off with a smile. The kids camp is so well ran and Meisha is the best!!! They provide plenty of acitivites for the children so there is no need to worry about boredom setting in. The entertainment staff are the best I have ever seen at any hotel. They have multiple games and activities running at one time and each staff is alocated to one area (on a rotation system) and it's tons of fun for all to join into. For those looking for that extra fitness - you can always try the beach aerobics every day at around noon - see if you are the fittest of the fit. Each night they have a prize giving for all that participated in games during the days including the children. There is also a mini disco for the smaller children from around 7.45 to 9pm at the auditorium entertainment area. The nightly entertainment is spectacular as the entertainment staff produce their own shows and they are certainly first class with lots of music and some with very good humour. The spa also has these beautiful pools inside which you can use just to relax after that hard day of lazing in the sun. The nite club is great again the entertainment staff join in with you all there which adds a little extra flavour to the goings on - it's a definite must - don't hesitate book it now.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
8  Thank queenofreef
Reviewed 30 December 2009

We traveled to Iberostar Suites from Dec. 11-18. We went there for our honeymoon. Upon arriving we checked in through the front desk. They were very friendly telling us details about the hotel and offering advice on booking the restaurant reservations. They put a bracelet around your arm that identifies which resort you are staying at. After a few days the bracelet got on our nerves. I do think they should try to come up with a better plan than the bracelets.

We walked to the beaches resort and looked around. It seemed nice. We did notice that there were more singles at the beaches than the suites. The suites was mainly couples and families. And of course the grand is couples only. As a guest of the beaches you cannot get into the grand at all. Guests of the grand can get into the suites and beaches.

Room:We went up to our hotel room and found a beautiful view that was unexpected. We had paid for a junior suite with garden view and surprising to us also had an ocean view. The suite had a kind bed, ceiling fan, separate living room area, big balcony, great closet space, mini bar, safe, and wonderful bathroom. The tub is amazing and the shower has a rain head on it.As honeymooners we received two honeymooners shirts and a bottle of wine.

Grounds: The resort is beautiful. Someone is always cleaning something. The only bugs I saw at the resort the entire time were ants. Even then that was outside. The resort is all tile, no carpet what so ever. Be very careful if you have wet shoes or feet. There are two swimming pools and a lazy river. One swimming pool is an activity pool where they do pool vollyball, etc. in it. You can swim when activities are not going on. The other pool is the infinity pool that has the swim up bar. This pool is very big and nice. The only problem we found with it is that it stayed cold all the time. The lazy river is very lazy. It does not move fast at all, but is nice. They provide floats for you to use.

Beach: The beach in front of the hotel is very rocky and it hurts to walk on the rocks. But if you walk down towards the Beaches resort there are no rocks. Take advantage of the free snorkeling. It is amazing! About 10 feet into the water they have put rocks out there where you can snorkle. Some areas you can touch the ground if you are over 5 ft. tall. Other areas may be 6 ft to 7 ft deep. Great place to snorkel with kids since the water is not rough and the water is shallow. When you go to rent the equipment (at Dressel, near the Beaches resort) don't get suckered into paying the possible damage fee. They did not bother us about it but did bother a family that had kids. The equipment is not brand new so don't worry too much about it. The beach is private so you do not have to worry about getting asked to buy things. You can go off the property near the beaches to buy things from the locals.

Food: As soon as you check in go and make reservations for dinner. You can make reservations up to 2 days in advance. Remember that you can eat at the Beaches restaurant also. My favorites were Aunt Ruby's Steakhouse and the Cajun restaurant. I will say that the food could use some improvement. Most things are very bland and need spices. The buffett's have different options but again, things are bland. Also, it seemed that some items that needed to be cold, were not kept that cold. They would lay them on cold trays but the items did not stay cold. We tended to stay away from these items. The beach barbeque was the best food! Definitely try to eat it for lunch when offered. When we stayed it was offered on Monday and Thursday only. We did tip everytime we ate somewhere. Usually $2 in the morning and $4-5 at night. We felt like the people did something for us so we should tip. I will say that most people do not tip that I saw. We did order room service once. It took about 45 minutes to get it but everything was good. Seemed like room service food was fresher than on the buffett.

Bars: We are not big drinkers but did enjoy a few drinks. The bartenders pour heavy on the alcohol. No, they do not have the best of liquor or beer. This is definitely not top shelf stuff. The bartenders are nice and will try to accomodate you on whatever drink you want. The guys at the pool were great. Most people that we saw did not tip the bartenders. We usually tipped $1 every drink or every other drink. We noticed that we tended to get faster service than others. If you want top shelf alcohol, you should go elsewhere because you will not get it on this property. The bar in the lobby tended to make better drinks than most of the restaurants and the pool bar.

Spa: Be aware that as a guest you are free to use the wellness pool and the tub areas. The wellness pool is great and the different types of tubs were also nice. We didn't use the gym but heard that it was nice.

Excursions: We went through Dressel to see the luminous bay. If you pay with American money you get a discount. They took us to Coral City to snorkel and then to the bay to see the water light up. It was worth the money and we enjoyed it.
We did horse back riding with Chukka. It was fun but as you are riding the trail there is not a lot to see. We wished they would ride more on the beach. You ride in the water for about 5 minutes total.
We took a tour and climbed Dunn River Falls. Would recommend this. It is scary and fun at the same time. I'm not in the best of shape but was able to do it. I would not recommend this for pregnant women, children, or older people. The climb is tough and takes a little bit of leg muscle to do it. You also have to be careful to not slip and fall. Bring water shoes or you will have to rent them for $7 or buy for $14.
We shopped in Ochos Rios. Be careful because you will get bothered constantly to buy something or another. Just say no and eventually they will listen.

Overall we had a great stay. We would stay here again. The resort is beautiful and everyone is nice. We would recommend the food being a little better but that was not a big deal to us.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled on business
8.7 km away
Half Moon
Half Moon
#3 of 63 in Montego Bay

Been to Iberostar Rose Hall Suites? Share your experiences!