All reviewsvilla staffthe main hotelhalf moonamazing villabedroom villarum punchwelcome homebreakfast and dinnergirls tripcommon areasjerk chickensugar millshrimpcommissaryderrickhousekeepergolf
Reviewed March 22, 2018

A wonderful vacation with friends. There were eight of us. There were 5 bedrooms and we had a cook, Carmen, Nigel the butler, and Patricia the housekeeper. They were all very accommodating and made us feel quite at home. The meals Carmen prepared were fantastic and Nigel waited on us "hand and foot" Patricia kept our rooms made up and provided clean towels everyday.

Room Tip: villas with an ocean view or ocean front
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed March 20, 2018

I went to Half Moon with my entire family for Spring Break and it was amazing! The house was great, tons of room for the 10 of us. Our butler, Cassel, made sure that we had everything we needed always, he made sure we were always happy and went above and beyond to cater to our small children. Our maid, Lucille, made sure our rooms were clean, fresh sheets and towels everyday, and took care of our laundry! Lastly, our cook, Janet, made the most amazing food every night. We let her decide dinner most nights and she did not disappoint! Everything was so yummy! Overall, it was an awesome trip with so many memories our family will cherish for years!

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed March 6, 2018

Our trip was fun. The level of privacy, seclusion, and family togetherness was hard to beat at any price. Having said that, the accommodations are FAR more tired than the photos would indicate. The 7 bedroom villas are large and spacious and not luxurious in any way. There is a single 3 person couch, the villas are not air conditioned other than the bedrooms, the small showers have soft pressure and no doors (curtains only), the beds are not close to the quality you would find in a Starwood property (for example) and everything feels very old and in need of an update.

Joy, our cook, was world class awesome. Her kind spirit, flexibility, and delicious cooking was the most enjoyable part of the experience. This place has many hidden costs: food from the commissary is nearly all frozen or shelf stable (rather than fresh), and very expensive. The alcohol mark-up is higher than retail, and the prices at the bar (pool and beach) are akin to staying at a 5Star resort, without the 5Star luxury accommodations or service. Also, occupancy is down because of construction, and the staff, as a result, focuses more on receiving tips than on providing fast and efficient service.

Joy is awesome. My family had a fin time. I know far better value can be found across Mexico and the Caribbean, in terms of luxury and service and high-quality food for the spend.

Stayed: February 2018
1  Thank sethdarmstadter
Reviewed March 5, 2018

We went to Half Moon with 5 other couples for 5 nights. The Villas were good - many parts were in need of renovation but if you keep in mind you are in the caribbean - maybe you can love lower standards? I decided to do just that. The maid, butler, cook made me overlook the outdated bathroom and bedroom. It was so nice living in a villa having someone take wonderful care of you. Keep in mind - you will need to take wonderful care of them and give nice gratuities - they deserve it. this is how they make a living. The bed was 'ok' not great, not horrible. We were about a mile from the main hotel down an pretty rustic road on the property but that didn't matter. If you want to be right by the main things in the hotel - this might not be for you. But our crew enjoyed our dinners, cocktail hour, time by the pool and just hanging out. It was wonderful. Not the most modern or luxurious in the Caribbean. They definately need to dump some money into this resort but I would be back just to relax and be pampered and share the villa with friends. would work really well for extended family too. Everyone has a 'main' bedroom. Work out facility in the main hotel was excellent. Spa - overpriced. I think they need to get realistic with the prices on that one.

Room Tip: We chose a villa that was not ocean view to save money = was just fine for us.
  • Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed February 9, 2018

It was just what I needed...was married there in 2002 and I lost my husband to Cancer on September 4, 2017. Five of my girl friends joined me to celebrate my first birthday without him. Upon walking into the villa Carlene, Edward and Sonja said welcome home. And that was exactly what I felt for 7 nights. All of the rooms were the same 3 on the first floor and 4 upstairs, they were spacious and well appointed. This was the 12th time I been back to half moon except this time it was with my husband. Carlene after learning about my husband set out to feed away my grief. She cooked real Jamaican dishes for us. Oxtail,rice and pea, jerk chicken, brown stew chicken, stew peas, coconut rice, ackee and salt fish, fried dumplings, boil green bananas, omg the pineapple upside down cake melted in your mouth. Edward our butler was the most professional butler I have had to date. He truly was a gentle giant and every thing was done at the pleasure of Edward. They decorated the villa for my birthday it was amazing. Just go there and experience it for yourselves.

Room Tip: Ask for Carlene and Edward if you are staying at the villas
  • Stayed: January 2018, travelled with friends