New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Lutwidge Arms Hotel

Lutwidge Arms Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Holmrook
Caithness, Scotland
“Family run hotel that makes you feel at home”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2011

I've stayed at this hotel many times now whilst travelling on business. It's family atmosphere is very relaxing at night, and you always get a warm welcome. The food is very good - There is a large menu which caters for all tastes and the standard is excellent. I would highly recommend the hotel for business and leisure travellers.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Stellenbosch, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2011

The hotel is charming and has character. I stayed in single room, which was really comfortable with a nice view.

Dinner and breakfast was excellent.

Most importantly, the owners were friendly and helpful. I felt at home.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
Blackpool, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2011

This large Victorian inn converted into a 15 bedroom hotel is a perfect location for a relaxing stay in a quiet part of the Lake District. Myself and wife stayed here in early October for a relaxing weekend to catch the last of the summer sun and was not disappointed.

The Lutwidge Arms is located in the very quiet village of Holmrook in the eastern lakes. This is a perfect location for visiting both the Easter lakes and also the quiet seaside resorts such as the nearby Ravenglass.

The proprietors Mike and Elena are the perfect hosts being friendly, knowledgeable of the local area and keen to make our stay enjoyable.

Our bedroom was furnished in a contemporary plain style and looked like it had only recently been refurbished. The room being relatively large with a large bathroom. The view from the window overlooking the river (across the road from the hotel) and the Lake District fells was stunning.

The room was equipped with a flat screen TV, tea and coffee making facilities and hairdryer.

The public areas of the Hotel are full of Victorian character although slightly faded. There is some work going on the refresh the bar area but this wasn’t obtrusive.

Breakfast was freshly cooked and tasty although choice was limited (Cereals, Toast, Full English, Kipper fillets or Porridge). It could probably do with some choice of fresh uncooked fare for those who are not keen on the Full English.

Meals in the evening can be taken either in the separate dining room or in the Bar. The choice was extensive and varied and food very tasty. All the ingredients seem to be fresh and well cooked.

The bar area is open from 6pm and is a public bar attracting both locals (it’s the only bar in the village) and tourists. The atmosphere in the bar was great.

I would highly recommend this hotel for that quiet stay in the lakes.

Room Tip: First floor rooms have best views
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Birmingham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2011

Recently stayed at this hotel for 2 nights. Had room in annexe, very good size, extremely comfortable and owners very helpful & accommodating. Spacious car park. Lovely food - we ate there on our first night and would certainly recommend you try their food, either in the comfy bar or restaurant. Very filling breakfasts, set you up nicely for the day ahead. Would return to stay again.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2011

Stayed here for two nights as part of a tour of the Lake District, we had fantastic weather which help!!! We stayed in Windermere for three nights, then moved North we chanced upon this place and it didn't disappoint. The owners are incredibly friendly and went out of their way to may our stay a great one. The room was really spacious and immaculate with everything we needed. We ate both nights in the bar which was really really good. They have a fantastic range of real ales too. All in all great visit to the area, and allowed us to tour a bit of an overlooked area, it's really beautiful.

Room Tip: Visit Muncaster Castle
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
Lincoln, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2011

I originally selected this hotel on the basis of its proximity to where I was working and booked in for two weeks. It's within striking distance of Wasdale for walking / sightseeing as well as being only a few miles from Whitehaven for shopping and recreation.
The welcome was efficient and cordial. Nothing was too much trouble for Mike and Elena.
During my stay all of the staff went out of their way to help and I really felt like one of the family.
The evening menu is most comprehensive, the service, quality and presentation of the food was wonderful. Due note was taken of my dietary requirements (I have an allergy).
The rooms (for I took the opportunity to stay in several) were all clean and comfortable and included tea and coffee making facilities and complimentary biscuits.
The bar is especially well stocked and the selection of hand-pulled real ale well-kept and certainly agreeable.
There is a pool table and a television, neither of these intrudes into the convivial atmosphere in the main bar.
The car park is quite ample for the hotel.
A WiFi service is provided free of charge - ideal for keeping in touch when the mobile phone service disappears (mast stuck by lightning!).
The room tariffs, meals and bar prices are very competitive
Did I enjoy my stay? Oh yes. Would I stay again? Most definitely. This is a wonderful little hotel; great value for money and thoroughly enjoyable. Whether you're having a holiday or, like me, staying on business, I really can recommend it.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank PyroDave
Manchester
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2011

I stayed at this hotel for a wedding. I just want to warn people not to stay here. I signed up for trip advisor especially to warn people about this hotel. Me, my partner and a group of friends came back after the wedding, yes, we were talking as we walked to one of the rooms which we were told not to do by the man who owned the hotel, so when we went to the room we whispered (and I mean honestly) and the woman came knocking on the door and told us all to go to our rooms and go to bed. I was discusted at her firm tone with us as we are all adults and were not even talking at normal level. She then proceeded to tell us she will wait outside the room until we went to bed which she insisted we did. Every time we left the room, she spat requests for us to go to bed and made our night a misery. I am extremely hard to annoy but I felt scared and abused by this woman. I have never felt so discusted with the way I was treated and hope that people who read this will avoid this hotel at every cost.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank sooz44
mickychipps, Owner at Lutwidge Arms Hotel, responded to this review, 31 May 2011
It is the policy of the Hotel to challenge noisy guests who are disturbing the sleep of other guests. In this particular case the group returned to the Hotel at 0145 hrs and despite being informed of complaints from other guests, tried to continue their festivities until 0330 when they were eventually persuaded to retire to bed. Tripadvisor readers will have to come to their own conclusion regarding the motives of this reviewer.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Holmrook
3.7 km away
6.0 km away
The Strands Hotel
The Strands Hotel
#1 of 1 in Nether Wasdale

Been to Lutwidge Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!