All reviewsmurder mysterynice groundsross on wyebuffet breakfastmain buildingearly hourscompliments to the chefplenty of parkingground floorbath and showercommunal areasfamily weddingquiet locationroom was largeweekend breakrestaurant menufish cakes
Reviewed September 18, 2017 via mobile

Went to a wedding in Penyard House. It was very nice and the food on the whole weekend was very good. The staff were a bit flustered and were struggling to cope with the number of people, but were doing their best!

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
Adam W, Manager at Penyard House, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2017

Thank you for your review of your visit to Penyard House.

I do apologise for the lack of staff, but are happy to hear they still delivered a high customer service.

We are constantly working to improve all areas of the hotel. I am confident that should you stay with us again you will notice the improvements being made.

Reviewed September 17, 2017

The hotel is set in beautifully kept grounds
Had a problem first night as generator noise was under my room (35) then A giant hornet had got into my room!
The night porter removed the hornet for me in the early hours and I was offered a different room the following day. So thank you to staff.
The room overlooked the gardens and f rom then on I had good night sleeps in a comfy bed and spotless room.
The hotel did not have any entertainment which suited me. A little background music might have been nice as it was so quiet you felt you had to whisper!
Some lovely old fashioned lounge areas which were nicely decorated.
Breakfast was buffet style which was very good. Would have liked to have had Tea/ coffee in pots rather than self service machines.
Evening meal was very mixed as some were very good and others were quite poorly cooked. In fairness the food was good quality but not cooked to my liking e.g rubbery chicken and beef that was almost raw.
I feel if the chef had tried to hard to make it fancy and simple would be best!
Overall I enjoyed my stay and the above is meant as constructive criticism.

Room Tip: Room 56 but on 3rd floor and no lift
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo

Thank you for your review of your visit to Penyard House.

I am delighted you enjoyed our gardens and will be certain to pass on your comments to the grounds department.

I do apologise for the noise from the generator in the early morning, we are constantly working to improve all areas of the hotel. I am confident that should you stay with us again you will notice the improvements being made.

Reviewed September 16, 2017 via mobile

I was impressed!
Tried to book ahead using Hotel Tonight but unsure if I'd been successful and turned out I hadn't.
Arrived after 6pm having driven from Pembrokeshire. Explained my demise to receptionist who offered me a room (at a better price).
It was clean and had view of the attractive grounds. Bed was comfortable with immaculate linen. Bathroom clean with soft white towels.
I felt refreshed after a walk through the well maintained grounds and ready to dine at my appointed time.
A bit of a muddle with my dinner but this sorted by a very embarrassed chef - he was a delight and I provided a small portion of my original order to taste! Both were well presented and tasty.
Breakfast was offered as part of my deal and sustained me as I continued my drive.
Thank you to the helpful and pleasant staff.
I was happy!

Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo

Thank you for your review of your visit to Penyard House.

I was pleased to read that you had an enjoyable stay, and will be certain to pass on your comments to the staff, we always endeavour to give all customers great customer service.

I do apologise for the confusion with your dinner but glad to hear it was rectified quickly and efficiently.

Reviewed September 15, 2017 via mobile

I stayed here as part of a residential leadership programme and have to say I was very disappointed with the hotel itself. The leadership programme was very good as it turned out. This hotel is what I'd best describe as 'tired' and in desperate need of some investment / refurbishment. The exterior and interiors of the general areas are looking shabby and the rooms as what I'd describe as below Travelodge standard, which in my book is let's put it kindly.'basic'
The room itself along with the bathroom sizewise is more than adequate but it's downhill from here. The bed was uncomfortable,moved around on castors, its was all very basic / minimal with probably the only decent thing being a good sized TV. No fridge / minibar, all furnishing very 1980's the bathroom was the worst for me. The handles to the bathroom door and shower rail (curtain) was pitted it's been there that long as was the toilet seat brackets, which were TBH disgusting (I'll attempt to load my pictures) shower was at best a dribble that many an electric shower would put to shame, and we all know how poor these are? Towel rail never got warmer than the proverbial witches t-t and the ceiling light fitting only had one build working and was filthy. I did contact reception to rectify the light fitting during day one, they did actually send someone who kindly left a 'job completed card' in the said bathroom albeit he didn't clean the fitting or replace the bulb. All I'll say it was a good job I was showering at 7am and not late evening as I'd have struggled to see. God knows how my wife would have coped with this level of lighting. Fortunately after moan number two the fitting was cleaned and replaced. I didn't make an issue out of the other bits as I was on my own and just made do. If I'd been staying as part of a break with Mrs L I'd have been asking for another room. This would probably have made no difference as speaking with colleagues on my course a few had similar issues. The food on day one was pretty poor especially at lunchtime. We stood at the range waiting to be served Shepherds pie and mash only to be told "all the mash has been eaten" it was comical as we made do with an excuse for shepherd pie (just the base) which resembled something Dickens workhouse would have served. Thanks goodness it tasted better than it looked. No dessert was on offer either.
The food did improve days two and three to be fair. The hotel did appear to be popular with the blue rinse brigade who were a jolly bunch straight from the cast of the film 'Cocoon' finally the other strange thing was that the residents , well only late bar shut up shop at 11:30 which is unsual? I'd happily admit I like my luxury hotels and have been spoilt previously. What's surprising is that the course that I was on was certainly aimed at senior managers etc who I'd guess like me prefer and are used to a far better standard of lodging than Penyard House. Finishing on a positive the staff were on the whole very pleasant and helpful. Due to the cost of the course being inclusive of accommodation I'm unsure what we would have paid per night but looking at the clientel who are known for being thrift it can't be that much. Put it this way I wouldn't be booking this place for a wedding.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank davidmlowe
Reviewed September 13, 2017 via mobile

Have just returned from a "drive yourself" break at this beautiful hotel arranged with Majestic tours.
In stunning surroundings , the hotel is situated just on the outskirts of the historic town of Ross on Wye.
The building did not disappoint, steeped in history it has been refurbished to a very high standard with all the usual factions.
Our bedroom was beautifully kept with high class fittings and exceptional cleanliness.
The food we ate was well prepared, cooked and the menus were what we would have expected to pay much more for,
Staff were delightful, very helpful, nothing was too much trouble. Altogether a lovely weekend which we will endeavor to repeat as soon as we can. All that was missing were the carriages and the crinolines! That's how it made us feel in such a beautiful place!

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Gillian C

Thank you for your review of your visit to Penyard House.

I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your break with Majestic tours and will be certain to pass on your comments to all the staff.