“Great Dreams Quality... not my fav of theirs, though.”

Dreams La Romana Resort & Spa
Ranked #3 of 16 Hotels in Bayahibe
GreenLeadersGold level
Toronto
“Great Dreams Quality... not my fav of theirs, though.”
Reviewed 27 February 2012

This is a bit late (Spring 2011 was our stay), but I wanted to share a review of this resort to contrast another Dreams I have visited (and also because I will soon be visiting a Secrets and will be looking forward to offering a comparison review then.)

This resort offers all of the awesome guest service, cleanliness, quality etc of the Dreams chain. For more detail, check out the review I wrote on Dreams Palm Beach. However, Dreams La Romana is huge and I would not likely return if I had other choices. I disliked the cramped beach, and also if you love to swim in the salt water, it is hard to get down to the beach in some places because of the slope of the sand. Also TOO MANY KIDS AND SMOKERS! This resort seems to attract a lot of europeans who smoke everywhere (I am allergic) and allow their children to run free unsupervised. It was hard to relax sometimes without being splashed by kids in the various pools. My boyfriend and I kept saying "next time... secrets" which we had found out was the same chain's adults-only.

The other thing I disliked about Dreams La Romana (which I did not encounter at Dreams Palm Beach) was the salespeople walking around near the pool and beach areas harassing you to try to sign up for time share meetings. They actually follow you around and really bug you.

Also I do not, but if you have mobility issues or do not like to walk, you might not love this place. The resort is very spread out and restaurants are scattered all about and you have to travel along these cobblestone paths for quite a distance to get to different places (tip: ladies don't wear high heeled sandals to dinner! lol)

If you go here, hang out by the pool with the swim-up bar. The bartenders there were awesome and always remembered us and they even pulled a stinger out of a bumblebee's bum (kinda gross but funny I guess) when I was scared of it flying around me. Also order mojitos! I never liked this drink until I went to this resort and they make them sooo good.

We tried most of the restaurants except for the weird jungle one on the beach (it was cute but kinda scary... reminded me of halloween or something). Loved loved LOVED El Patio (mexican restaurant.)

Additionally, make sure to check the airport you are flying into when you book a package. The La Romana airport is wayy closer and saves you the 2.5 hr bus ride from punta cana airport.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank tacobeaster

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,282)
  • Czech first
  • Slovak first
  • Thai first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 27 February 2012

First, let me say that after reading other reviews of this resort, many people on here seem to be grading this resort particularly unfairly. I have never had such wonderful service..not even at the Four Seasons or Ritz Carlton! The servers and bartenders were all so attentive, and I believe this has to do in large part with the hardworking blood of the Dominican people.

My boyfriend and I visited Dreams La Romana at the end of January 2012 and had an awesome time. Before booking our trip through LuxuryLink, I performed some much-needed research on the resort, soon coming to the conclusion that although this hotel was definitely not a Four Seasons or a Sandy Lane, it would still be a lovely place to visit.

For an extra $70-$80/night, we upgraded to the Preferred area, which is a separate side of the hotel. It has its own infinity pool, beach area, and concierge. It was definitely worth it. Also, we rented the "Dreams Corner" for one whole day. The Dreams Corner is a private pool overlooking the ocean with a massage table and private waiter service. We paid for lunch for two (There is a cute table with two chairs set up) and the total cost was $150/per person with lunch included. We did not pay for massages. The Dreams Corner was the highlight of the trip and I don't know why more people don't take advantage of it. It is only available to paying preferred guests. My boyfriend and I were able to have our own private area without people bothering us (view my photos). We got there at 9 am and left at sundown. It was an amazing experience! Victor was our server, and he got us all the drinks, towels, and food we wanted!

The food at most of the restaurants was pretty bland, but the scenery was beautiful, and the lunch that we paid extra for during our day renting out the Dreams Corner was UNBELIEVABLE! We had champagne, shrimp ceviche over mango, and chicken/steak skewers with coconut sticky rice. Victor even brought us some rum smoothies in large pineapples. Paying the extra money definitely goes a long way, especially with tipping.

I do have to say that it seemed as though we were the only Americans at the resort-- about 89% of all guests were European (french, german, spanish). And there are lots of topless women and old fat men in speedos, so if you don't want your children to see any nudity, do not take them to this resort.

The spa treatments are nice, I got the After-sun oatmeal wrap. My masseuse was very nice, but it was hard to ask her to massage me harder because she did not speak good English.

All in all this was a wonderful resort, especially for being all-inclusive. The Preferred Area felt like a completely separate resort from the main section (much quieter and you don't have to wake up early to reserve a chair).

Check out my pictures for a better idea. I would definitely go back.

Room Tip: The Preferred Rooms are very spacious! Ask for a room with a King size bed..the mattresses are so co...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Meredith F
Merrick, New York
Reviewed 25 February 2012

The hotel grounds are very nice but the food is HORRIBLE. My husband and I both got so sick that it ruined most of our trip. I was forced to eat plain pasta for the rest of the trip. Don't waste your money!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
6 Thank Lauren D
MN
Reviewed 25 February 2012

We just got back from our 7th year of vacationing at Dreams La Romana, Dominican Republic. As always it was a great vacation! We reallly enjoy the weather and especially the beach. We met a new worker this year and his name was Eddy Murphy (Freddy). He is just an excellent person and #1 entertainment team member! Thank you again for making our "Dreams" come true!

Room Tip: All rooms seem to be great...especially the beds.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank HD55
Widnes
Reviewed 25 February 2012

I'll be brief. We felt welcome from the minute we got there. Clean rooms, clean grounds, nice pools, lovely sea. Good choice of food, friendly hotel staff. No battle for sunbeds at pools or beach. Some hidden rocks just at the water line on the beach (ouch). Kids club was brilliant for our kids. Good international mix of people there. No one dominant nationality, though we suffered some loutish behaviour from a group of rotund obnoxious American men who took over the infinity pool every day. In the end we didn't use it as they made it unsuitable for the kids. Other than that, top marks.

• Stayed January 2012
Widnes, Cheshire
Reviewed 24 February 2012

We travelled as a family of 4, with 2 young children. Fabulous setting, very clean rooms, staff are always cleaning pathways and gardens. Food at the world cafe was lovely.(ignore the moaners out there!) There's a vast choice of food there, and great for kids too.
Only compliant.... Staff are there to first sanitise your hands with gel ... Great idea to stop spread of germs and the novo virus, then seat you. However rude, ignorant people, usually French and Americans, would just sit down. Staff seemed unable to stop these people. No idea why people wouldn't want to not sanitise hands to prevent spread of diseases.......
Kids club was fabulous, and they really care about your children and making them happy. Many thanks to Joly, Janet & Calrey. My children aged 6 & 4 yrs loved it!
It's a stunning setting, facilities are great, and we'd go back. It's a long transfer, but worth it!

• Stayed February 2012
4 Thank Ruth_Ryan
keza1985
Reviewed 24 February 2012

We stayed at Dreams in building 5 8th-23rd feb 2012 8 Adults and 3 Children.
The room was fab building 5 one of the up to date rooms so was nice to have this. We wanted to pay uPgrade to go in preferred club but unfortunately don't think Paul area would have suited our 3 children so thought seemed pointless to
Pay if would use main feature. If was just us 2 we def would have. The pools were perfect for the kids as have the shallow parts toddlers can play in which I thought was good. We found each restaurant was really nice food and service wise especially Ricardo from mexican he gave 110% service hence why we requested him to be our private waiter for my husbands 30th birthday meal. World cafe had everything you could require breakfast lunch and dinner an te pizzeria and barefoot grill also were great if you didn't fancie sit down meal at lunch. The beach was lovely as right near pool so didbt have to decide if was going pool or beach day can have best of both. Sea gorgeous. We found that everything being included was just great even the water sports, mini bar etc. we will definately be returning sometime soon!! Only slight negatives I would say would be that some staff need to learn the drinks being served as alot of them don't understand an you end up having 5 wrong drinks before getting the one you want. My father in law was pissed 24/7 for this reason lol lucky don't have to pay for drinks eh. We found rendevous bar was brilliant an always knew what drink was required but the one over near the French etc didn't have a clue. Appreciate language barrier but when you ask for the spirit with coke or coca cola and it comes out as lemonade or vodka as Bacardi etc just gets a little frustrating as its on the bottles. Not like was ordering something out the ordinary. Didn't bother me
As didn't drink much but something small to improve on for our return. It's not a moan just an observation!! And the last 3 days of stay was clearly half term for America as resort got alot busier an service suffered. They were short staffed. Surely the hotel knows when holiday terms are so should really ensure enough staff are there to accomodate. As the weeks prior we could not fault the service. Just need to be kept up to date as the last 3 days dining in restaurants was painful appreciate when busy period there will be a wait but staff need to advise how long wait will be and they didn't. Or they would advise a table was being laid for us and took an hour to lay and were about 9 tables empty. Again just stuff for hotel to work on as we had a brilliant stay and would def return However would have been very annoying if this happened throughout our stay for the 2 weeks.

• Stayed February 2012
3 Thank keza1985
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bayahibe
4.5 km away
56.9 km away
Melia Caribe Tropical
4.1 km away
Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus

Been to Dreams La Romana Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!