“100% honest review”

GreenLeadersGold level
london
“100% honest review”
Reviewed 10 April 2012

Myself, husband daughter 20 months and my parents stayed here in march 2012 for 2 weeks. and from start to finish we have a wonderful time. The staff are all so friendly and helpful, great variety of food, spotlessly clean, beautiful beach, cannot fault it! We will be booking again for next year!!!
The weather was perfect, it really was a very relaxing holiday.
Men, take a pair of trousers as some restaurants require you to wear them, slightly annoying.
No where really for the kids to play, (no play ground, swings slides etc) unless they are over 3 and you dont mind them going to the hotel run kids club - which i have to say looked very professionally run!
No problem what so ever getting sunbeds around the pool or at the beach. We went for breakfast at 830 and got down to the beach/pool at 930 and never once had trouble sitting where we wanted.
Hotel shop sells most things you could need but quite pricey, double the price of back home. Oh and for the parents taking little ones in nappies, take enough nappies as the shop only sells upto size 3 and no wipes.
You will honestly love this place!!!!

2 Thank stella22London

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,225)
  • Czech first
  • Slovak first
  • Thai first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 9 April 2012

I have been living in DR for about 2 years and before going back to the USA, I have made it a point to visit AMResorts Hotels becuase I know its a sure thing with guaranteed service. This time I went to Dreams La Romana located on the Bayahibe Beach. I was truely impressed with this property its quite large but they literally have activities for all ages. I stayed in a partial ocean view with preferred club service. The rooms are newly renovated with a nice rain shower and a comfy bed and very modern. The preferred club was additional but it was so worth it you have access to a preferred club section and supierior drinks and VIP treatment. they had nice infinity pools on the property and fun areas. This time i didnt travel with kids but the core zone looked really fun and gave you sports bar feeling. They had a basketball hoop and different games for kids and teens. My favorite part were all of the romanitc spots with amazing views!!! there was even a section where couples could purchase a package to pamper themselves for an entire day infornt of that amazing view. The food for lunch and dinner was very gourmet. they even had cute stores for shopping by the enterace and a nice disco. however my favorite part is there dock so nice a very romantic. I was lucky enough to see an amazing sunset on one side and an amazing moon rise on the other. To top it all off I saw my first shotting star!! So i would definately recommend this hotel to anyone thinking about la Romana or a nice getaway.

Room Tip: Ocean view room and the Preffered club service is a must
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank melissa a
London
Reviewed 8 April 2012

After spending two weeks at the Dreams La Romana as a party of eight with family and friends I felt I needed to write my very first review.
This hotel is excellent I couldn't fault it on anything. The room was very comfy with all amenities you could want and it was kept very clean by an exceptional team of housekeepers. The towel art, dressing gown and slippers were a nice touch for when we arrived.
The beach and pool areas were very clean. We never had trouble getting sunbeds at anytime of the day. If there was a problem you only had to ask one of the staff and they would fetch you one.
The food was outstanding. The choice in the World Cafe was amazing, even the pickiest person would find something to eat. The Al a Carte restaurants were all included and you didn't need to book. If it was busy when you arrived they gave you a buzzer and you could go to the bar until your table was ready, which was a very good idea. The drinks were all fine. If you wanted branded drink then you only had to ask for it, so don't ask for vodka ask for Smirnoff and you will get it. I liked the idea of the Cocktail of the day as they did an acholic one and non alcholic one. Of course I had to try the alcholic variety everyday!
All the staff including those we don't acknowledge as much (gardeners, maintenance, housekeepers etc) were outstanding, nothing was ever too much bother for them.
If you are going to book trips I would recommend Seavis Tours. We booked four trips with them and everyone of them was fantastic. They looked after us the whole day made everything enjoyable. We even hired our own boat for the day and ended up on an island beach all too ourselves there wasn't another person in sight, paradise.
The Seavis Tours office is located in Bayahibe on the beach. It's about a 15 minute walk along the beach from the hotel. These are the people to book your trips with as they are a lot cheaper than the Tour Companies and their parties are smaller so you don't end up waiting around for other people.
All in all I would recommend this Hotel and Resort to everyone. In one word, Paradise.

2 Thank craftsnoopy61
Reviewed 7 April 2012

This resort, where to start....it is by far my favorite resort I have stayed at ever and I have stayed at several especially in the Dominican Republic. I went with my mom, dad, and younger sister. Normally we stay in Punta Cana, however this year we stayed in La Romana and weren't exactly sure what to expect. Upon arrival at the Dreams La Romana Resort, we were greeted with alcoholic and nonalcoholic beverages and check in went smoothly. My parents decided to upgrade us once we got there to the preferred club which is something g I highly recommend. Being a preferred club guest comes with special treatments. First, preferred club get black hotel cards, a private pool (that is a lot quieter than the two other pools) a private section of the beach roped off and yellow or a soft pink colored towel whereas all other guest get blue or white towels. The staff at this resorts very friendly and obviously work hard to use their English that the resort pays someone to teach them and they also work hard to keep the place clean and meet the needs of eac guest. The food at this resort was also very good. There are several different restaurants throughout the resort and all the ones I tried were great (Italian restaurant, Mexican restaurant, world cafe, and another one right next to the Italian restaurant) being preferred club once you wait through the line to get to the waitress that seats you, you will be seated immediately and do not have to wait. I also went on a buggy tour while I was there. The apple vacations guy we met with on the first day recommended we dnt go with the people on the beach by the towel exchange place but we did and saved $9 per person and got the exact thing. Personally, before I went I read the reviews and some were negative, however my overall experience of this hotel was great and I highly recommend it for anyone. I plan on going back in the future

• Stayed April 2012
6 Thank Dominicanrepubliclover
NY
Reviewed 7 April 2012

I just came back yesterday night from a five-days vacation at Dreams La Romana. I went there with my teenage daugthers and we had a great time bonding. However, I must admit that I was disappointed by the resort. Based on the lavish reviews, the website of the resort, the Unlimited Luxury motto, I thought it would be way better. In this review, you will find my opinion based on my personal experience.
One thing that struck me was that the chairs by the pool that you see in the pictures at the web site (wood frame, white fabric, with a blue cushion), are not there. The current lounge chairs are plastic white with bright blue fabric. The overall effect is tacky.
Our room was nice, large and clean. The bed was great, the sheets were soft, but the walls were very thin. We could even follow word by word the conversations of the next room. Also, there are activities until 11.00 PM or even late by the main pool and the sound system was so loud that it was very unpleasant to hear Latin music or people shouting on a microphone.
I asked to see one of the Preferred Room and it was almost the same as mine, except that the painting was fresher, so I decided against it.
The staff is friendly, in most cases, and helpful, but we got a few slight disappointments. For instance, two staff mocked our Spanish accents (we are native Spanish speakers), and the girls at the World Cafe were very pushy as to give us a table in a section that was dark and full of people, while we wanted to have a sunnier table that was available in a less crowded section. We took it cheerfully, since we were there to have fun, so I did not want to complain, but management should keep an eye on these girls because they were quite arrogant.
The cleaning lady was a doll and she always left us little surprises, as flowers, towels shaped in the form of a heart, etc. (we tipped her 100 to 200 pesos per day).
The main disappointment was the beach. It was full of chairs and the sea was beautiful in color, but it was not totally transparent, as in other places of Dominican Republic. The water was clean, but the sand turned the water somehow milky. It was not totally unpleaseant but based on my previous experiences in the Caribbean, I thought the beach would be better. Also, the beach is made of concrete and covered with sand, so it is not totally nice to walk on it. I had to wake up at 7.00 AM to get a sun umbrella by the pool or the beach, because by 8.00 AM there was no chance to have a shaded place available. Even at 7.00 AM it was hard to get a place because some people saved their spots even earlier.
As for the food, you should stick to beer, sparkling wine or sodas. The cocktails are nicely presented but they have almost no alcohol and are way too sweet.
There is a bartender at the Infinity Pool bar that is kind of inappropriate, as he was joking with some young women and asking them to eat a banana in a sexy way. However, some people seemed to enjoy his constant jokes. I must admit that he tried to behave more classier when we were around.
The food is average and below average. Never above average. Breakfast is better than lunch or dinner. You can wait up to one hour to get a table in some restaurants at night, plus a long time to get served. The decoration of the restaurants is nice, the appetizers are almost always very good and come quickly, but the entrees are just Ok. There are no good dessert options (which in a way was a blessing so we did not overeat). I must say that we eat fruits, uncooked fish and seafood without getting sick, so food safety seems good.
We also had room service, which is included in the all-inclusive rate, but the food was always disappointing (the presentation was very nice, it was just that the food was super bland). The club sandwich was terrible. How can you get a sandwich wrong?
The little cafe is very nice and they serve very very very good coffee, especially some ice coffee and frozen chocolate with caramel. They have sugar cookies which are the only sweet food that you can eat with pleasure. As I said, all desserts and cakes are really bad.
So, overall, Dreams is just fine for a resort. Do no expect anythingt classy or elegant at all. Do not expect luxury as I did based on the reviews and website. It is Ok for the price. I guess that I was expecting too much.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the forth floor. You need to climb the stairs, but the ceilings are really high, s...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
8 Thank TravellerMomNY
Reviewed 6 April 2012

this is from a 16 year old girls point of view and my mum and my dad agree!
we have been to this hotel several times and honestly it is the best.

the food: you have a great selection from
Grill(my fave), Italian, French, Chinese/Asian, Mexican and Dominican now the only thing I would say about the restaurants is i wasn't to fond of the Mexican and Dominican but the rest very good! The French restaurant it says "adults only" but we went when I was fourteen as long as your child is a teenager or something and had table manners that is fine :)

the hotel: the grounds are gorgeous and it's so easy to walk around at night.. you feel safe as there are guards at some ends of the hotel..

other pros:
the rooms are beautiful especially the ones near the spa! great air conditioning for when your are warm and very spacious!

the coffee shop! This is my favourite in the hotel, especially the caramel hot chocolates GREAT! You can sit and relax in this non smoking area! go on the computers which are a little expensive but the Internet quality is great!
another favourite part of mine is define neatly :
the core zone!
and honestly it's not just for kids
there are pool tables
Xboxes
Music
television
basketball court
climbing float for the pool
baseball range
the list is endless
also There is a mini club for the younger children!
and safety for your children don't worry there are two member of staff at each club and by the side of the sea and pool two also!
OH my favourite thing also is the sea trampoline it's great fun for kids but I would recommend an adult going too!

I could write for hours how amazing this hotel is and the staff are amazing! they entertain you for hours! and my mum and dad hate entertainment but they enjoy piccizicato and cocacola (two of the main staff) who are amazing!

lovelovelove this hotel!
xx

• Stayed July 2011
2 Thank katiekatiekatiekatie
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 April 2012

Honest review of this resort - Very clean and great location!! large rooms with lots of storage space. Food great - but a pit picky on the dress code - considering its a holiday !! watch out for that - FAVOURITE STAFF MEMBER - JAMES BOND (Jason) Thank you for such fun and playing games with us you made our holiday - How would the resort function with out you !!!!!!!! Give the guy a pay rise!!!! lol Did not like the fact you could pay more to get into the PREFERED area !!! this makes you feel a bit uncomfortable - we did not upgrade and was glad not to as it all looked a bit overrated for the extra money. Long transfer from airport but worth it - went horseridding into local village - great experience a bit scarey.

Room Tip: we were in block 4 near all amenities great location for room
5 Thank jo O
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bayahibe
12.0 km away
56.8 km away
Now Larimar Punta Cana
57.0 km away
Sunscape Dominican Beach Punta Cana

Been to Dreams La Romana Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!