“Excellent all-inclusive experience”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Evanston
“Excellent all-inclusive experience”
Reviewed 12 April 2012

I just spent nine days here with my wife and teenage son and daughter. It was a wonderful vacation. This was the first time we went to an all-inclusive resort and the freedom it gave us, especially my kids, to just eat when they wanted to (and what they wanted to) was really liberating for all of us. The specialty restaurants are good, not great (I thought the Mexican restaurant was the best-- highly recommend the tacos al pastor) but the buffet offers plentiful, fresh and healthy food choices. They even had gluten free bread for my wife. I personally didn't experience the "towel wars" mentioned in other reviews, though my wife witnessed a towel- and shoe-throwing, sand-kicking screaming match while my son and I were diving. It seemed to me we could always find unreserved chairs on the beach or by the pool when we wanted them. There are enough activities to keep fidgety kids busy while you get plenty of pool or beach time. I also highly recommend the dive shop.

Room Tip: Stay away from Building 1-- too close to the theater, which can be loud in the evenings. We had gro...
2 Thank Matt052
IberostarHotelsRD, Quality Manager Iberostar República Dominicana at Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus, responded to this review, 13 April 2012
Dear Guest Matt052,
In the name of Mr. Amando Pozo, Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus Hotel Manager, and his team, we would like to thank you for your comments about your experience at our hotel and for choosing us for your family vacation.
We would like to express how satisfied we are to acknowledge that you had experienced especially thanks to the beauty of our hotel beach, the variety of our gastronomy and the amount of activities proposed by our Star Friends. Those are very important aspects for us in Iberostar and the key of our success.
We kindly invite you to contact us before your next visit,
With best regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (494)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
  • Slovak first
Brooklyn
Reviewed 11 April 2012

I have visited this Hotel/Restaurant/Resort for the second time. The fact that I keep coming back to this place tells for itself about quality of my vacation there. The pleasant and the important aspect of the situation that returning vacationer faces coming to Iberostar Hacienda in Dominican Republic is the constant improving of the conditions of rooms, food, animations and even the service of reception. To be concrete I would like to mention some names of the people who made me feel there as a member of family - big and thoughtful family of Iberostar Hacienda. It is Sr. Domingo Rijo Medina - Front Desk Manager and his colleagues: Henry, Jose, Rodolfo and others. These people stay on the front position of the Hotel “defending” the honor and the status of the company. The coming people first face their care, attention and thoughtfulness. The initial impression that based on there attitude is very important for the whole vacation. That is why after my first meeting with receptionists I immediately felt that I am a special guest there, the attention and care was solely given to me, everything I asked was carefully listened to and properly addressed in very timely manner. And because I am not different from any other vacationers there, it means that each and every one coming to this Hotel feels the same. Isn’t that an art of hospitality? After reception with a help of a boy you get to your room – the cleanness, freshness and comfort of which makes you feel even better that in your own home(I was assigned to room# 5216 in 2011 and #5210 in 2012). The cleaning lady Celeste both times like an invisible shadow succeeded to make the room during my absence. Even when by mistake I placed the wrong sign on the door “Do not disturb”, she already knowing the pattern of my stay during the day, questioned that and cleaned the room after getting my permission on that and my apologies for this mistake. The special thanks I would like to address to the waiters and waitresses. They all probably outstanding in their desire to make the table quickly, clean and convenient. I would like to mention a couple of them who was most often dished up me and my companion, who very fast remembered ours habits, conditions of the health and tastes, always with a smile, always with care, always with a shine of love. Their names are Deivi and Kenny.
As a conclusion I would like to express my sincere thanks to all the people who made Iberostar Hacienda the way it is now.
My name is David M. I live in Brooklyn, NY 11230. E-mail: flog.dead.horse@gmail.com.

Room Tip: It depends solely on the taste of the guest: some people like it close to the beach considering the...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank David_from_Midwood
Dear Mr. David,
I would like to thank you for your loyalty towards Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus Hotel and for the time you took to post a review about your stay among us. In the name of Ms Amando Pozo and his team, I would like to express how honored we are to read your lovely comments about our hotel staff members.
We are very satisfied to read that you highlighted out the personal service and friendliness of our staff as well our outstanding cuisine and varied gastronomy, and the cleanness of our beautiful hotel premises and facilities. Those are very important aspects for us and the key to the success of Iberostar Hotels and Resorts. I shared your comments with all those people whom you named in your review (Domingo, Henry, Jose, Rodolfo, Celeste, Deivi, Kenny, among others); I assure you that they are as proud as pleased to have ensured you a memorable stay.
We will be honored to welcome you back again, please write us an email as soon as you get your reservation confirmed.
With best regards,
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 9 April 2012

We travelled with a group of 8 ranging between 18 and 49 years old. We stayed for 7 glorious nights. I'll first review the "bad" points.
1. As others have said, the towels wars are a problem. Even though you receive a package with a letter admonishing the reserving of beach chairs and signs in every palapa, this practise still goes on. I don't know why some people think they are "better" than others???? My solution to this problem would be for the resort to have someone go through at 6:00 am and pick up all the towels and decoy magazines that have been put on the chairs. There are plenty of chairs. I don't understand the need to reserve a spot and then not even come down to the beach. Just plain selfish!!!!
2. The process for booking the alacartes could be tweeked to make it much more efficient.
3. Although not the hotel, the guests at this resort seemed to be very unfriendly. As Canadians, we are a friendly bunch. I don't understand people that can't even say "good morning" or "hola".
4. We tried to use the kayaks, but the first time it was too windy. The second time, all the kayaks had been taken out on a day excursion. Very disappointing. Heads up. If you want to use the wind surfers, they will ask if you have done it before. Say "yes". If you don't, they won't let you unless you take a $40 lesson!
That's it for the "bad".
The GOOD":

1. The resort is gorgeous!! Trees of all kinds with flowers of all colors!! The grounds are emmaculate and well laid out. There are many bird ponds with peacocks and swans and various other species of birds. Clean! I can't tell you how clean!!
2. We had four rooms. The rooms with double beds had a large shower. The rooms with a kingsize bed had a large bathtub with showerhead. There was never a problem getting hot water. Although the rooms were not as modern as some, they were absolutely spotless!! The beds were comfortable and the rooms quiet. (except for mr. peacock who loved to squawk early in the morning!) lol.... Just a note: the plug-ins have the correct ac, but they have an indented circle within a square, meaning that anything other than a regular two-prong plug, does not fit. i.e. camera chargers. There was a recepticle under the desk that does accomodate chargers. Each room had an entrance onto a central courtyard and from the patio, you overlooked the grounds. Just breathtaking!
3. The food was the best I have ever had in ANY restaurant!!!! The buffet changed its menu every night and there are plenty of dishes to choose from. We went to the gourmet which was delicious, the Japanese which was also very good. Friends went to steakhouse which they said was very good to. The beach restaurant was very good to. Do try the stirfry they cook on the beach. MMMMMM.... There is also a 24 hour restaurant next to the Japanese.
4. I can't say enough about how friendly and willing to please the staff was. What awesome people. They always said "hola" with a sincere smile. These people work hard. The entertainment staff did an amazing job! Keep in mind that they are pleasing people from 9 in the morning till after midnight!!! Big thumbs up to all the staff!!!!
5. The beach is awesome. White sand, turquoise water.. it just doesn't get any better!
6. The drinks are not at all watered down. Banana mamma....mmmmmmm.....
7. The pool is massive and clean.
8. There were no bugs to be seen. We saw them spraying the grounds and our room got sprayed once during our stay.
Wishing we were still there........

Room Tip: This resort is well laid out with 7 buildings, each a different color, helpful for those of us that...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
5 Thank carl091610
Dear Guest carl091610,
In the name of Hotel Manager, Mr. Amando Pozo, I want to thank you for taking time to write a review about your stay at the Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus Hotel. We also thank you for choosing Iberostar again as your destination for your family vacations.
We would like to express you how satisfied we are to read that your family group had a wonderful holiday at our hotel premises and facilities. We are very satisfied to know that you enjoyed our varied and exquisite gastronomy; the friendliness of our staff members and the cleanness and maintenance we give to our grounds. In Iberostar those are parts of our guiding principles and we work hard to be well known for them.
We will be happy to welcome you back again, feel free to contact us to help you in your next visit.
Yours Sincerely,
Poughkeepsie, New York
Reviewed 9 April 2012

Pros: clean, nice staff, reasonable price, wide range of food options, secluded, no vendors on beach, the Spa.

cons: NO FREE INTERNET, check-in was disorganized and annoying (they required physical printer vouchers), rooms smell moldy, beds uncomfortable, vendors selling things in resort hallways, smoking allowed in club and other public areas, $1.00 charge to weight your bags, dinner reservation very odd, it was hard to get reservation and the restaurant was half empty. cleaning staff is very loud in the hallways in the morning.

Dear Guest Leli584,
We would like to thank for writing a comment on Tripadvisor about your experience at Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus Hotel. In the name of Mr. Amando Pozo, Hotel Manager, we thank you for choosing our hotel for your vacations.
We are satisfied to hear that you appreciated the exquisite quality gastronomy offered in our four specialty restaurant and in our nightly themed buffet. Iberostar is well known by providing a delightful wide range of plates to please all kind of palates.
On the other hand, I would like to point out that we always listen to the voice of our beloved guests. I have shared your suggestion with our Management team of all areas in order to prevent future incidences which might discommode the relaxation and enjoyment of our guests.
We are looking forward to welcome you back again, please contact us before arrival to help you to enjoy your next vacations with us,
Kindest regards,
HUDDERSFIELD
Reviewed 6 April 2012

We had a fabulous holiday-really relaxing. The staff were really friendly and couldn't have been more helpful or pleasant. The hotel is well maintained , and our junior suite was lovely. Being close to the sea it was fun watching the "sun beb grabbers" out on the beach from 0630am bagging the beds close to the sea. It was still dark!Plenty of good food - pretty varied in the buffet and for a change you can book one of the speciality restuarants..I have already booked for 2013 - 48 weeks and counting!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank ALAN H
IberostarHotelsRD, Quality Manager Iberostar República Dominicana at Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus, responded to this review, 11 April 2012
Dear Mr. Alan,
I would like to thank you for having chosen Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus as the destination for your vacations, also for taking the time to post a review about your stay among us.
In the name of the Hotel Manager, Mr. Amando Pozo and his team, I would like to express how pleased we are to hear that you had enjoyed a wonderful holiday in our hotel premises and facilities. In Iberostar we are committed to ensure a memorable stay to our beloved guests.
We are looking forward to welcome you back soon, please do not hesitate to contact us in advanced to further assistance in your next visit.
New York City, New York
Reviewed 5 April 2012

My husband, our boys, (13 and 10), and I stayed at this resort for 5 nights. It was our first experience with an "all inclusive" style resort and we truly enjoyed our stay.

The staff is extremely friendly and welcoming from check in, to the bartenders, to the people who led the activities like salsa dancing, water aerobics, ping pong tournaments etc.

The rooms were clean and the complimentary mini-fridge was restocked daily.

We were very cautious about the food based on the reviews from the previous week, but we all remained healthy and full during our visit. The food ranged from absolutely delicious (special beachfront fidua lunch) to adequate (reservations at the Japanese restaurant). The choices were plentiful, and while not always gourmet, the food was good. We are picky foodies from NY and were pleased with the selections.
El Colonial was quite decadent, high end, and great quality. The Japanese was very mediocre....El Goleta, steakhouse, was good...buffet options were absolutely fine.

Some alcohol labels are available upon request like Stoli's, Dewar's, Tanqueray.

If you want to read and relax, this is the place to go. If you like to participate in activities, there are some things to try like daily dance lessons, water aerobics, beach volleyball, tennis, archery, bebe rifle shooting, bingo, boating. The water was beautiful. Bring cards or something to pass the time with the kids....helps in the late afternoon.

The two disappointments were the perceptions of snorkeling that was readily available (there was nothing to see unless you paid for a boat/snorkel tour) and organized activities for kids ages 10-14. They did not exist, but they were permitted to participate in everything that was set up for adults.

It is a two hour drive from the airport, but it is not a big deal.

Something that we would consider for future vacations.

We had adjoining rooms which was a nice touch after spending the whole day as a family unit. Just ask for them.

Room Tip: Unit 3 was quiet, close to the beach and pool.
3 Thank Jen H
Dear Mrs. Jen,
Thank you very much for choosing Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus Hotel for your family vacations and for taking the time to post a review about your nice experience.
In the name of the Hotel Manager, Mr. Amando Pozo and his team, I would like to express how satisfied we are to acknowledge that you had a memorable holiday thanks to the friendliness and good service of our staff members, and the activities offered by our Star Friends, and the excellent gastronomy served in our nightly themed buffet restaurant, our 24 snack bar, our four specialty restaurants and our Room Service. In Iberostar those are aspects of our guiding and we are proud to read that you valued them positively.
We hope to welcome you back again, please contact us before your arrival.
New York City, New York
Reviewed 2 April 2012

My husband and I needed a long weekend getaway to rest & relax, so despite our reservations about all-inclusive resorts, we booked our stay at Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus.
And we were pleasantly surprised how nice and easy our stay was!
We arrived in Santo Domingo airport and took a car service (pre-arranged via Dominican Airport Shuttle, not through the hotel).
The service level at the front desk was rather slow and, the receptionist failed to advise us upon arrival that the dinner reservations at "restaurants" in the complex needed to be made by 2PM. In addition we found out later that you were allowed to eat these restaurants only twice during your stay.
We ate at the buffet restaurant a few times and it was good overall.
The rest of the staff at the resort were helpful and courteous, and we noticed how hard working everyone was!
As for our room it was very clean and had a nice balcony to sit and hang out.
The best part of the resort was of course the beach, which was kept clean and neat.
The water was crystal clear and we snorkeled a couple of time around the man-made reef when the water was calm.
There were several snack/bar areas to hang out and get refreshments so it was very convenient.
The resort had a storage room to leave your bags and a shower room to freshen up, so that you could spend more time at the beach and the pool until your time to leave.
We had a great, relaxing weekend and would definitely recommend Iberostar Hacienda!

Room Tip: Rooms in complexes 5, 6 closer to the beach/pool are quieter
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Yu M
IberostarHotelsRD, Quality Manager Iberostar República Dominicana at Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus, responded to this review, 3 April 2012
Dear Mr. Yu,
Thank you very much for choosing Iberostar hacienda Dominicus Hotel for your weekend getaway and for taking the time to post a review about your stay.
On the behalf of the Hotel Manager, Mr. Amando Pozo and his team, I would like to express how satisfied we are to acknowledge that you had a relaxing and memorable weekend among us thanks to the friendliness and good service of our staff members. In Iberostar one of our guiding principles is to ensure an unforgettable holiday to our beloved guests. On the other hand, we apologize for the misunderstanding related to the lack of information about the restaurant reservation system and numbers. I have shared this situation with the Front desk team to prevent this kind of issue in the future.
We hope to welcome you back again, please contact us before your arrival.
With regards,
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bayahibe
15.7 km away
57.0 km away
Iberostar Bavaro Suites
57.0 km away
Now Larimar Punta Cana

Been to Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus? Share your experiences!