“Perfect Vacation”

Ranked #6 of 16 Hotels in Bayahibe
Kincardine, Canada
“Perfect Vacation”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2012

Vacationed from Mar 2 to March 16, 2012.
The Palace and Beach resrots are so close together, it's hard to say where one stops, and the other starts. It's basically one huge resort. Concrete walkways allow you to stroll through the entire complex. Each resort has a Buffet, and several A-La-Carte restaurants; you can go to any of them. We were at the Italian, Mexican, Asian, and Mediteranian. Our favourate was the Mexican. The Mediteranian (Vava Cafe) was OK but the food was not hot. Viva Cafe is on the waterfront, so can get pretty breezy.

We had no issues with service. We always found people very friendly, and only too happy to look after you. It is true that most staff are Spanish or Italian, but there is usually someone around who also speaks English. We had no trouble being understood.

Since my mother was coming along (82), we had requested to have a room close to the pool. Our request was more that fulfilled. We were given ground floor, ocean view, close to the pool; we could not have been more pleased.

The beach is nice, but has some rocky areas. Because of the close proximety of the corral area, it's great to snokel, and see plenty of fish. We saw as much here as we have seen on many excursions during other holidays. There were many chairs always available in sun or shade. No need to reserve chairs at any time. Same thing in the pool area.

The rooms were clean, and our maid was very pleasant, and made towell art several times during our stay. A few days after we got there, the air conditioner started making noise one morning. By afternoon, it was worse, so we reported it. Later that evening it stopped totally. we reported it the next morning, and by 2 pm, there was a new unit installed. Great work!

Room Tip: We sent an email to identify our room request a couple of weeks before we went. We would go back to...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Dan R
VivaDominicusPalace, Guest Relations Manager at Viva Wyndham Dominicus Palace, responded to this review, 5 June 2012
Dear Guest:

We appreciate your time by posting all of your good reviews and tips for future visitors to our facilities and thank you for choosing us to spent your holiday.

It is our pleasure to know that our service provide, our staff friendliness and the comfort of our facilities meet all of your expectations, and we hope to have you again into our facilities.

Best regards.

Viva Wyndham Dominicus Beach & Palace

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2012

We stayed at Viva Wyndham Dominicus Palace from March 3 to 10, 2012. Our all-inclusive vacation was booked online via Expedia and Sunwing. We easily found the Sunwing representative at the Punta Cana airport, who indicated our transfer bus. The ride was smooth, about 1h 40 min to the resort. Friendly staff at the reception desk, the check-in was a breeze. Our room was clean and comfortable, you even get two bottles of water every day. The next day we met the Sunwing orientation guy Enrique, who was very helpful, explaining all availabilities in the resort and recommending the wonderful catamaran excursion to the island of Saona, that we took three days later. The resort itself is a paradise, with mostly European clientele, Italian and French. The all-inclusive programme is worry-free, all you have to do is relax. The beach is wonderful, plenty of shade under the palm trees. It was never a problem to find two beach chairs, whenever we came. The sea is warm, turquoise colour. The staff in bars and restaurants is extremely friendly and helpful, they understand whatever language you speak, but they try to teach you a few Spanish words. The animation team is Italian, they would invite you to plenty of activities: volley ball, darts, bocce, pool aerobic, dance lessons. You can even play tennis and basketball. The food is amazing everywhere, in the buffet style restaurant la Yuca, where we had breakfast and lunch every day, and in la Roca, Viva Mexico, Il Palco and Viva Café, à la carte restaurants, where you have to book your table for dinner in the morning. La Yuca has a different theme night every evening for dinner - Italian, French, Dominican... Plenty of choices! I would recommend this resort to everyone and will most probably go back again.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
9 Thank dunavriver
Dear Guest:

Thank you very much for choosing us as a destiny to spent your family vacations, we are very glad to read that our staff, service and facilities meet your expectations, hoping that this good memories will be in the near future the reason why, you choose us once again.

Thank you very much for sharing your comments with us.

Best regards.

Hamden, Connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2012

I have to admit, after reading the many negative reviews,my wife and I were hesitant to vacation here.However, after spending a week here, were came away very pleased.Yes,there was a communication problem,most staff members,especially housekeeping,do not speak english.They will do whatever you ask once you figure out how to get them to understand.We had a problem with our shower on day one,it was fixed immediately.The room was comfortable and roomy.The bed was more than adaquate.The food was not impressive,but it was certainly edible and there was quite a good variety.Having the ability to used the facilities at next door Dominicus Beach was also a no=ice option,with different dining options and food variety.The beach was beautiful,everything you need is within walking distance.We did not have any problems with obtaining beach towels,like some have complained about.The front dest staff was very helpful,check-in was fast and easy,as was check out.Overall, very happy with our stay,and plan to return soon.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank James M
VivaDominicusPalace, Guest Relations Manager at Viva Wyndham Dominicus Palace, responded to this review, 7 March 2012
Dear Visitor

It is really a pleasure for us to know that we were up to your expectations and even more pleasant to know that we were at the level of giving you a great vacations for you and your family with our products and service.
Know that some actions have been taken in order strengthen all the languages.

Once again thanks for your such positives comments, we hope to have the opportunity to receive you as our mutual guest in the next future and offer you our best attentions.

Regards
Peabody, Massachusetts
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2012

We arrived and were told that the resort was overbooked. We just had a 2 hour taxi ride from the Santo Domingo Airport and were hungry and exhausted. The assistant manager told us he would put us in another 5 star hotel located on a beach. We then found out it was 2 hours away near Punta Cana. I called the other hotel and was told a shuttle ride was required to get to a beach and also required to get to some of the restaurants. We have 2 children and I realized that the other hotel was not oriented to families. It was oriented to golfers and deep sea fishing tourists and the hotel was new and not fully completed. We met 3 other American families in the Wydham resort lobby who told us they ran into the same experience (the previous day) and were forced to stay at a hotel 10 minutes away. They told us the hotel they were staying was very boring. They had to take a shuttle bus everyday for their meals and beach because they did not like the other hotel or food. I then asked the assistant manager to locate us a room at the hotel. The manager said there was nothing he could do and we would not be able to stay. The Wyndham resort I found out later has approximately 1000 rooms. I kept discussing the issue with the assistant manager for over 2 hours. He kept ignoring me. I then noticed tourists checking into the hotel (in separate taxis) and being shown to their rooms. I counted 5 separate families (all non-Americans) within one hour. I then found the general manager of the hotel later who showed up that evening. I discussed with him our dilemma and he said he would look into it. He then basically ignored me and told me that there was nothing he could do. I then asked him why the other people were being shown to their rooms. He did not answer my question and found him to be very aloof. It was of my opinion that the management favored the non-Americans and couldn't care about providing customer service. Now I know why there were very few Americans at this resort. We were told there was a room available across the street from the resort and we would have to stay there for 3 nights and then a room would open up at the resort for our remainder stay of 3 days. We went to the room across the street and it was in very poor condition (alot of things broken in the room). The AC wasn't working and we had no security. The resort is a secure complex but where we stayed had no security. My wife and kids were afraid to stay there but we had no choice. The following day I spent about 3 hours in the lobby discussing my discontent with both the assistant manager and general manager of the complex. I basically told them I was tired of their lying to me and their very poor customer service. I had wore them out and they finally put us in a room on the resort. It is very upsetting to me that we possibly could have had a nice stay there but the resort assistant manager and general manager had zero customer service experience. The Wyndham Company should be ashamed of themselves for letting this happen to my family and other American families during our stay!!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
19 Thank phil s
Olney
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2012

We had a family affair to attend so I planned to have a very good time. I had no problem with the room or the food, and enjoyed everything unti when I returned to my room I found out that my jewerly pouch was GONE! (I must have left it out). When I made the missing item report they suggested that "I might have left it at home". They promised to call/email me with the result of othe investigation and I have YET to hear from them. I called the next day and gave them callback info, and the person that answered said "it would take time". Of course I came home and the items were as I reported it: STOLEN. Maybe the administration is in cohoots with the thief. I am very upset about this because among other things I had a very expensive watch that was taken. DON'T LEAVE ANY VALUABLES OUT - PUT IT IN THE SAFE.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
8 Thank Beverly O
Dear guest,
First of all thank you for having chosen our hotel for your vacations.
We understand your disappointment, but we can assure you that all the investigations have been made, and unfortunately we didn’t found any evidence.
We hope that this inconvenience will not prevent you to come back and visit us again, and give us the possibility to regain your confidence

Best regards

Corpus Christi, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2012

Unlike other all inclusive hotels I have stayed in, the Viva Wyndham was a very good property. It is a beautiful resort and manicured just like a golf course. There were plenty of restaurants to choose from and they did not mind if you ate at the same one over and over. The staff was great and everybody was very friendly. They primarily cater to Europeans, which are mostly Italian. They were some Americans like us and quite a few Canadians. The bar drinks were very tasty. The AC worked great in the room unlike other hotels I have visited recently. We had free parking. They had safes in the room which made us feel more comfortable. You had to pay a little extra for it but it was good for a peace of mind. The beach was very nice. The security was also very good. All in all, I would definitely recommend this place to any traveler. We had no problems whatsoever at the resort. They did whatever they could to answer any questions we had.

Room Tip: If you can get a room looking over the beach like we did, it would be great. If you can pay extra...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Jeff W
Dear Guest:

We appreciate your time by posting this helpful review for other future visitors. It is our pleasure to read all the good points regarding your vacations and we feel more than glad to know that we exceed your expectations.

We hope to have the chance to serve you once again.

Best regards…

Edison, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2012

We were a party of 3 couples.
We have been to many resorts in Dominican, but choose to come back to this one time after time. Considering some other controversial reviews, we wanted to share with you some good and helpful points, which should help you to make decision about choosing this resort for your next vacation. Service level noticeably improved over last few years. Even though many employees do not speak English well, staff is very friendly and you can communicate with them if you put a little effort into it. Considering that you are traveling to a Spanish speaking country, I am usually surprised when some people expect everyone around them to speak English. The grounds were kept very good. Food is good. Facilities and rooms are clean. Gum has brand new LIFE FITNESS treadmills. Simon,the gum instructor was helpful ,polite and potion. Resort is moderately priced comparing to other comparable resorts in area. Drinks are Ok, but do not expect to see a top shelf liqueur. We have been in Dreams and Iberostar, which are nearby. Out of all, this resort has best beach in La Romana area! We like this resort and planning to come beck again

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
8 Thank 8Gera49
Dear Guest
Thank you so much for posting you feedback and for choosing us as destination on your past holidays.
Is really a big pleasure to find out that we meet your expectations.
We sincerely hope that you come back again to visit us in the near future!

Best regards,

Viva Wyndham Dominicus Beach & Palace
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bayahibe
2.0 km away
3.9 km away
Dreams La Romana Resort & Spa
0.3 km away
Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus

Been to Viva Wyndham Dominicus Palace? Share your experiences!