“March 27 2012 returned Iberostar”

Iberostar Paraiso Beach
Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
GreenLeadersGold level
Calgary
“March 27 2012 returned Iberostar”
Reviewed 28 March 2012

Iberostar Paraiso Beach hotel, outside Cancun.
5 hotels in the resort but we were not allowed in two of them.

We just returned last night from the Iberostar Paraiso Beach resort. It was OK. I would not rate it a 4 star, more a 3 star hotel.
Staff friendly, most spoke pretty good english

Food was routine, many times we went to the buffet only to find it closed
food that should have been hot, was luke warm
burgers were pink inside
Food that should have been cold was room temperature.

We had infestation of ants in our room, had to vacate the room.
We asked for two double beds, got a king bed, I had to sleep with my adult son, which was not great, so changed rooms
One night the lights and power went out so had to change rooms again.

entertainment was good
they had a magician at night in the buffet he was amazingly talented,

bars friendly

distance from our unit 33 to the buffet was a long walk, walked it about 10 times a day, as no transportation came, feet were sore and blistered so it was a painful walk.
At night it's not well lit along the pathways, and even the golf carts most of them didn't have headlights on.

grounds beautiful and well maintained

Star Friends were amazing, best part of our trip was talking to them every day.

lets face it, food was repetitive and unless you went when it opened, food was cold or luke warm
best part was breakfast where I had them make an omlette for me while I waited.

The butter was disgusting seemed rotten to me.
Fruit was over ripe all the time, so could not eat that.
Beef was absolutely tough as shoe leather impossible to eat.
Food was a problem there.

Coffee was fantastic.

Room Tip: Get a room in the 4000 series or somewhere in the middle, we were down near the pool and the walk 10...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank linda m
IberostarMexico, Quality manager - Iberostar Mexico at Iberostar Paraiso Beach, responded to this review, 4 April 2012
Dear Guest:

Thank you so much for choosing our property for your recent stay in Mexico!

I am very concerned to read that your experience with us did not live up to our usual level of service concerning the restaurant. We have already shared it with our chef and restaurant manager in order to improve and enhance quality. Indeed, your well being and your entire satisfaction is our primary goal,

We do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you again in the very near future and all remain at your disposal.

Quality manager - Iberostar Mexico

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (837)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Milan, Italy
Reviewed 28 March 2012

Travelled here for Xmas 2011 for one week from Dec. 21. I'll go backwards in this review. Overall I'd give it an 8 on 10 scale. A lovely resort and fully decorated for xmas with style and not over-the -top like some resorts. The whole structure was clean and staff friendly. Restaurants were good, the best, we believe was the buffet main restaurant at the Beach, to not be confused with the buffet at the Del Mare which is the sister and connected hotel. The only thing that divides them is the huge, fantastic pool in the middle of the two resorts and the two separate check-in receptions. Aside those 2 points, they are the SAME hotel so don't freak if they move you at checkin to the DelMare. Acutally they told us at checkin it was an upgrade and rooms were larger. I'm still not sure, but did see some smaller rooms at the Beach hotel so could be true.
Room (del Mare hotel) - we were in block 11 and thus almost on the beach (10 is beachfront). The advantage is that obviously you a very close to the beach, close to a part of the pool and right by our block was a restaurant for breakfast and lunch and therefore didn't have to trek to the main buffet restaurant. This said, YES IT IS A LONG WALK..I adore walking but after a day in the sun and swimming, etc, go back and forth is a long haul. Do keep this in mind when booking your rooms. If you want to be near the main restaurants where you eat each evening, say so when you book. Likewise is you prefer the pool or the beach. The room was fine, normal and accomadating. Cleaning fine too. It has a nice balcony with table and chairs.
Restaurants - At iberstar you always have access to main buffet restaurants for all meals and you also have the option of booking 3 speciality restaurants. We enjoyed the Steakhouse and thought it was the best. Mexican and French ok too. You get more waiter attention at specialty restaurants but less choice of food.
Xmas Gala - You had to book in advance for the hour and then went to the great meal. Had tons of choices and was very nice. Would love to see other guests dressed up as, hello folks, it's xmas so at least one nite, dress up. I think it would be nice if this was enforced for the special events as that too adds festivity to the meal. Some people were in tshirts and baseball hats....
BEACH - Of all the iberostar hotels (5 I believe) in this complex, the BEACH hotel has the BEST beach area..larger, more chairs, more service and near the sub school. Unfortunately the sea WAS ALWAYS red flag and so therefore could get in, fight with the waves and get out. almost impossbile to swim. A nice picnic type grill restaurant right on beach so no need to change or use coverup..
ACTIVITIES - not overwhelming but present. My 14 yr old liked the activity pool games each day and dance lessons. Nice animators and not pushy.
Families - I think this would be an ideal resort for big families, or reunions as it's big so you're not on top of each other and loads of choices so you can be together or be apart without causing friction. A lot of groups for Xmas and seemed to love love love it.
COMPARISON - Altho' an excellent resort, we went to Iberostar in Dom. Republic, Bayihibe, and must say we preferred it to this one. The reason: it's smaller and thus can get around easier and not so tiring but will all the perks. The structure and design IS IDENTICAL!! Even the xmas decorations the same. The Bayahibe was just a bit more select and international and since smaller, the teens and kids got to meet other kids easier. Interesting to see all the different cultures as that was fun too, whereas at Beach it was 90% americans and canadians.
If you go, you'll have a great time. Be aware that golf and anything outside of the resort is EXPENSIVE, even the transfer to Playa Carmen. You'll probably end up spending 90 percent time at the resort as it's quite a way from other areas.
Have fun.

Room Tip: If you want to be by the beach choose block 11, but it's a good 15 min. walk to reception and re...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank sashacinus
Missouri
Reviewed 27 March 2012

We went with a group of 23 for spring break. The staff was extremely friendly. Grounds were beautiful, and constantly maintained. We marveled at the amount of staff that they must employ. The Star Friends staff tried to get everyone involved and the girls had a great time with the pool and beach games. It was nice having the shopping area nearby as well as the 24 hour medical center staffed by a doctor, which unfortunately, I had to use ( nothing serious, but needed attention). We used the shuttle service to Playa del Carmen ($5 each way), and the staff even adjusted the return time to accomodate us. We had asked to have all of our rooms near each other, and we were somewhat spread out when we arrived. They could not make any adjustments the night of our arrival, but moved us more together the next day. The best: the beach, the pool and the grounds. Food: buffet dinner was so-so, breakfast buffets were good. It was nice to have a buffet on the beach and another close to the beach and pool for lunch. Mexican and Italian restaurants were not great, Steak House and Mediterranean were very good. Many others have commented on the size and amount of walking and that is certainly true - be prepared. However, I had a problem with my foot and had to call several times for a cart to pick me up, and the staff picked me up within minutes each time I called. My one comment is that we wished there was more entertainment at night. The show was at 9:45 each night, and lasted about an hour (one night they had karaoke after the show and it was fun). It would have been nice to have some other options, similar to a cruise, since you really are kind of captive at the resort. All in all, though, we had a great time, and I would love to go back with the rest of my family.

Room Tip: Rooms in buildings 34-32 are closer to the pool, 30-31 closer to the beach, and 39-41 closer to the...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank soccermom51
Dear guest,

I would like to thank you for all your comments and to inform you we really appreciate your recent stay.

We are glad to know that your stay with us was pleasant and nothing went bad even you had to go to the Medical Centre, we have also sent all your comments to the Chef and the other Departments at the Hotel, we are sure they would be glad to hear all your good reviews and also the improves we could make to make your stay completely enjoyable.

I hope to welcome you back at the Hotel to enjoy more vacations with your family.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 25 March 2012

My family of 11 recently visited the Iberostar Paraiso Beach resort during the week of February 21 - 28 and LOVED IT. This was the first time that I had seen my family in over six months, so that alone could've given me a set of rose colour glasses, however I really enjoyed myself and this resort.

Check-In: We had 5 rooms with our group. 4 of the rooms arrived from Toronto midday, so they had to wait a few hours for their room, which is understandable, seeing as the reception was working to ensure that we were all in the same building, which was greatly appreciated. We were in building 35 which was perfectly situated between the lobby, restaurants and pool. It was also quite quiet which was nice.

Rooms: Rooms we clean and simple, just like you would expect in an all inclusive resort. Beds were quite firm, which would be one of my only complaints. I have read on some other reviews that you can ask for a bed cover which makes it softer, so if this is something that really could bother you, that might be a nice solution. Showers were tricky to manoeuvre, but once you figured it out it was fine. I would suggest bringing your own shampoo and hair dryer, some of my family who I travelled with said that the shampoo didn't lather properly and the hair dryer didn't work for me (I have a LOT of hair, if you have fine hair that dries easily, it shouldn't be a problem). Other then that we really enjoyed the luxury of complimentary ROOM SERVICE in an all inclusive. The food is quick and tasty, great for that light snack you might want between pool and dinner time. I had one of the cheese wraps, it was really good!

Food: Food here was really nice. Since we are late risers, we had at the breakfast buffet at one of the snack bars by the pool each morning which was open until 11:30. They certainly didn't have as much selection of the breakfast buffet in the Plaza restaurant in the lobby of the hotel, but they had your standard hot breakfast items. The Plaza restaurant had more of a pastry selection, multiple donuts, banana bread, and other things. We still ate well at the snack bar. Lunch was great, typical burgers, pizza, hotdogs, nachos type stuff. They often have a hot pasta dish which was usually good. Dinner buffets were really great. They had a different theme every night (cajun, Brazilian, oriental, wow, SO good!, etc) The à la carte restaurants we tried were Mediterranean, Italian and Japanese, all three were really good. Surf and Turf was well done, and the Almond Chicken was also really nice was well. Be sure to make your way up to the Shopping Centre. They have a taco bar and creperie which were both hidden gems. Its a little bit of a walk, and certainly in the mid-day heat is may seem like a hike, but the food is well worth it. Have a crepe with Vanilla and Chocolate, my mom really liked that one.

Service/Resort Qualities: All of the staff at this resort were extremely polite and kind. Sure, they are looking for tips, but take into consideration what their salary must be, and the tips are necessary. We tipped a few dollars each day to the pool bartender and he made sure you always had a drink. The disco was fun. They have different theme nights and the staff of the resort will join in and dress up. We went for "Boogie Night" and it was all 70s music. All the men had afros and the girls had jumpsuits. It was really fun. We saw a few of the shows. The props in these shows were AMAZING. The props were ones you'd see in a professional performance. The performers were great too. Each day in the pool, they had a couple "crazy pool games" which people love to get involved in. One day they played "crazy volleyball" where they used a yoga ball instead of a beach ball. The entertainment staff are devoted to there job and ensuring you are enjoying yourself, and you really notice that. You also notice that they are there from the moment you get to the pool in the morning, to the end of the show, which is at 11:00pm each day. Now thats hard work! Beach was nice. I'm quite frightened of birds, so I didn't frequent too much, because there were guests who insisted on feeding the darn birds so they would just swarm the beach. DON'T FEED THE ANIMALS. Don't spoil other guests relaxation!

One thing to remember, especially if you are reading other peoples reviews who may be concerned about the "moldy" smell. It is important that you keep your air conditioning on, and your doors closed. If you turn off your air, and open your doors, you will grow mold in your room from the humidity. That could certainly explain some of the "musty" smells.

All in all, I really really enjoyed this resort. Don't listen to the complaints about the size of the resort. We got rides in golf carts and trams at like 5-6 times in our trip. If you really need help, call the bellman or flag them down, they are more then happy to assist you.
I sincerely hope you enjoy your vacation the way me and my family did!

Room Tip: Building 35 was well centralized.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
7 Thank Kelly M
Vernon, Canada
Reviewed 22 March 2012

This all inclusive was a terrific place for couples or families. the entertainment was good, the bars friendly, the buffets quite nice and the rooms nice and clean. The only real downfall would be the distance from the room to certain areas depending on what you need most. So decide if you will be in the pool more than the beach if walking is an issue for you. There are cart/train pick ups but they are not as often as one might like.
The staff working with the teens were terrific. The catamarands are great but you must reserve a spot the day before.
The Brazillian restaurant was our least favorite as far as the food went but the japanese was entertaining and delicious.
The pool was very warm....sometimes a little too warm to feel refreshed but it was nice and clean.
One small issue was that people would put their towel on the lounge chairs early in the day and then never return to them. This made it difficult to find a spot that was not reserved. After a few days we noted that some chairs had towels on them overnight....so we hope the staff will start to clear the chairs regularly.

Overall...pretty good.

Room Tip: Ask if you want to be closest to restaurants, lobby, beach or pool. If stairs are a problem...ask fo...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
6 Thank irishgal161
Penticton, Canada
Reviewed 22 March 2012

We lucked out on the cost of this trip paying $1250. each from Montreal. For years we had wanted to return but the price was always too high so we travelled every year to Cuba or other resorts on the Mayan Riviera. When the price for this resort was lower this year, I was concerned that the standards may have lowered too. But 6 years later, this is still my favorite place for a Caribean holiday. We were in villa number 34 with our balcony facing the pool which was so lovely lit up at night. We enjoyed the beach, the pools, the activities, the restaurants (except maybe the Brazilian), the tropical birds, the room, the service, everything! Friends of ours went to the same resort a week later at our recommendation and also loved it and they are pretty fussy. My husband doesn't want to go anywhere else now. I'm sure there are even fancier resorts in the area now (butlers, etc.) but for the money and even for more money, I love this resort. Note - we met people who were staying in the Delmar and who had stayed in the Playa before and they found little to no difference including location as they are side by side except that the Delmar is a little cheaper.

Room Tip: Best to be between the lobby and the beach for easier walking distance. Ask for a room that faces t...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Lilyaylmer
Dear guest,

First of all I would like to thank you for your recent stay at IBEROSTAR.

We appreciate the loyalty and all the comments you have made of our Hotel.

We are really glad to know that after this 6 years you could come to our Hotel for your vacations and that our service and staff had made your stay enjoyable. All your comments allow us to know that our standards, facilities and staff are on the right track to make everyone’s vacation the best vacation ever.

We sincerely hope to host your family again at our Hotel for your future vacations.

Kindest Regards,

KC
Reviewed 22 March 2012

Our dates here were 3/10/12-3/17/12. Firstly I like their policy of no spring breakers. We were greeted with a nice cold beverage and a smile. Check in wasn't terribly long and a golf cart took us to our room and they took in our bags. I was impressed with the attention to detail around the grounds...I saw the staff cleaning, polishing, tidying at all hours. The room was nice with a sofa big enough someone could sleep on. We were on the ground floor so peacocks and partridges would roost on our patio. We wouldn't dry our swimming clothes out there b/c of the droppings but at least the staff cleaned it daily. Water pressure wasn't the greatest in the shower and the button to activate the shower didn't always stick. There were some tiny ants running around the desk by the coffee pot but honestly, we were fine with that and expected it considering we were on the first floor in this kind of climate; we've seen much worse living in Florida. Food was overall very good. We wished there were more authentic Mexican options but understand that their buffet variety was made to appeal to all. And the variety was great and I think it would appeal to anyone. You can be as healthy or unhealthy as you want. The whole all-inclusive thing makes it hard to not indulge. Although we saw some people didn't tip, we always did b/c the staff was nice. I thought the quality of service was better in the dress up restaurants vs the buffets esp. as far as details like drinks always being filled and clearing dirty plates. There are 2 buffet restaurant options and I think they were fairly close in menu b/c after eating at one, we walked to the other to see what we were missing. The open (but covered) air dining areas in the buffets was nice...there was always a nice breeze. The fountains circling the main comples were beautiful and amazingly, hardly any mosquitos. Their private beach was nice- lots of food and drinks. We didn't have a hard time finding seating in the shade either. The portable bull riding contest on the beach was a good time. Big kudos to the chefs who cooked paella on the beach on that huge pan...it was better than in the restaurant! Make sure you get an updated map of the grounds...the fixed structure maps on the grounds were for high-season...the paper maps showed low-season. The difference is the dress up restaurants locations which change based on season. The gym isn't bad...not a lot of equipment as far as weights but a decent assortment of cardio. The dumbells need to be labled! Most didn't show what weight they were so people were guessing what they were lifting. Plus the paint they used on them chipped so if you clanked them a bit, the chips fell on your face. What we thought was hot whirlpools at the gym were actually cool water. The tennis courts are a bit of a joke. I'm a 5.0 USTA player and have never seen that kind of spongy surface before. I felt like my foot would dig into the surface too much and I'd turn an ankle so I didn't push it too much on the movement. The surface definitely affected the bounce. The lights are a joke...if you don't have great night vision, playing at night is tough and the mosquitos on the court area were amazingly high. Kudos that they had water there though. The bike tour was a nice change of pace...the bikes aren't great though (my pedal was bent) but you do go for a nice scenic ride lasting 30 mins. We didn't golf but the putting green was free and our younger son loved it so keep that in mind. Interestingly the other properties adjoining had tennis courts that looked to be nicer than here...I wish we were allowed to use them. I thought it odd that the computers for guests were only on one side of the complex...in the game room with the pool tables. There are no printers and no direct access to the computer (if you're thinking of using a flash drive). One of my biggest complains is that they charge for internet access which is only available in the lobby areas and computer room. For the price we paid, they should AT LEAST give each guest 15 minutes of internet time per day or at least once per stay so guests can check into their flight reservations. Yeah it was only a few bucks but for the price we paid, it seems like a nice service to offer. For the women, be prepared to get hit on by some of the staff. Multiple times my wife was asked (when I wasn't around) if the husband was there with them. One even offered to give my wife a massage in our room. It's easy to get offended by that but we had a good laugh...and I trust my wife so oh well. Sorry for the males...none of the pretty female staff offered that kind of flirtation. Lastly, the shows were fine...not quite like a cruise in quality but not bad overall. The magic show was good and so was the night they had performers dancing to Michael Jackson and Gaga. I appreciated their table vendors not being so push to buy stuff. Kudos to the Star Friends staff for their energy and fun conversation. I think we'd go here again, but just to try a diff. Iberostar property. (3 last notes: the excursions were cheaper getting them out in town. Also a personal shuttle through the airport is the best way to get here...fairly cheap too. Lastly, for you tennis players, you can't carry on your racquets going back to the USA! You have to check them in! That time in the hull of the plan messed up my gut strings but also caused a headache at the airport as we had to juggle around what we packed.)

Room Tip: ground floor rooms are nice and you get the peacocks waking you up in the morning.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
20.1 km away
Iberostar Tucan Hotel
Iberostar Tucan Hotel
#43 of 209 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Iberostar Paraiso Beach? Share your experiences!