“Playa Paraiso is a must see family resort for all ages!”

Iberostar Paraiso Lindo
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
GreenLeadersGold level
Columbia, MO
“Playa Paraiso is a must see family resort for all ages!”
Reviewed 28 December 2009

We just returned from a week-long stay Paraiso Lindo and cannot wait to get back. Everyone from my 88 year-old grandmother to my two kids (4 & 2) had a great time. The resort was very clean, staff are welcoming and more than willing to help, and the food was awesome. Make your reservations for dinner as soon as you arrive, especially with big groups or you will be eating late each night. Don't waste your time at the shopping center, it is nothing more than local vendors with merchandise that is overpriced. If you want to shop I would suggest taking the shuttle to Playa del Carmen or Cancun. The PD Dye course on the resort is in great shape. A little pricey for hotel guests but worth a couple of rounds. If you play, make sure you find Arturo driving the beverage cart....he will take great care of you. The weekly beach party is a must and make sure to participate with the Star Friends activities. All the fountains around the lobby and restaurants are beautiful but can be a bit dangerous if you are not careful. We witnessed two people falling in and one of them actually injured a knee on the fall. All in all I would say this is a must see for the entire family.

1 Thank ballgame13

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,072)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Toronto
Reviewed 28 December 2009

We visited over Christmas - 19-26 Dec 2009 and the place was pretty full most of the time with high 90%'s occupancy. Read the other reviews for highlights like gorgeous grounds, cold pools, wonderful and warm staff. Food overall was just ok. Buffets for brkfst and lunch were passable with some great fresh fruit and really great salsa. Specialty restaurants varied a lot. Steak place was a 7/10 while the Seafood place was better. Mexican was ok and Japanese was poor in our opinion in a food sense -great presentation though. The concierge in every building is a great touch, and very helpful for all kinds of things. We had "Sandra" most of the time and she was hugely helpful for everything from dinner reservations to mtce issues.

When we were there, the beach was heaving and crowded and there didn't seem to be enough facilities for all - chairs or kayaks and the like. Drinks were watered down in general, unless you spent time in the lobby bar, where the two best bartenders were - Jili and Juan. They take care of you and it's the nicest setting for the time before an evening meal, or between the structured evenings. My biggest complaint would be the lack of flexibility in the evenings - the shows were full of staff enthusiasm and effort, but they were the only things to do from 8-10:30. Ideally they might open the club up earlier for anyone wanting to dance before 11:00pm. By that I mean anyone over 30 as the club seemed to overrun by younger "kids" from 12-3am. The "teen-club" was a blow-out with literally no one in there most of the time which was a shame, as it had been a drawing feature for us with teenagers not yet 18.

Iberostar seem to have a good formula for the resort, but a decided lack of flexibility and repetitiveness overall that seemed "canned". I got tired of watching the same DVD for example every single morning in the gym. Many of the staff there are wonderful - I've mentioned a few stand-outs here - but let them loose to help the guests a little, and the place will move to a 5 star. The facilities and investment is there to make it really nice.

1 Thank NeedingTheHeat
St. Louis, MO
Reviewed 28 December 2009

First off, my boyfriend and I (both 23 years old) visited Iberostar Paraiso Lindo from December 17th-21st, 2009 for leisure. The following review includes our unanimous thoughts of the resort.

LOCATION- Iberostar Paraiso Lindo is situated roughly halfway between the airport and downtown Playa Del Carmen. [[It is recommended that you book through an agency (FunJet, Apple, Lomas, whatever); they provide shuttles to and from the airport to your resort. It is pretty evident that the taxi drivers at the airport can be quite shady.]] Five of the Iberostar resorts are situated on this property (including Paraiso Lindo). Guests of Paraiso Lindo have privileges at all of the resorts, but it didn't seem like anybody follows any strict guidelines pertaining to where you should or shouldn't be ;).

STAFF- The staff of Paraiso Lindo were stellar from beginning to end. The bell boys watch your luggage while you check in and drive you to your building once you check in. Each hotel building has its own concierge, who helps you make restaurant reservations (which is best to do on your first day) and assists with any room problems or directions. The bartenders were very friendly and all of the restaurant staff was friendly and attentive as well.

BEACH- My pictures will give a better description than I can, but the beach was AMAZING. The resort provides comfortable loungers and umbrellas. It appears that the resort does an amazing job of maintaining the beauty of the beach; workers were cleaning up seaweed and other ocean junk beginning at sunrise. There is a walk-up bar right on the beach as well as a food bar (with burgers, hot dogs, and fries) between noon-6ish.

ROOMS- We enjoyed our room. It had a decent size closet, a safe, a refrigerator (stocked daily with bottled water, 2 types of beer, and a variety of soda), a beautiful bathroom with a nice shower and big bathtub, and a big bedroom (with a door separating it from the foyer/bathroom). Also, the balcony was great. We had a corner room, so our balcony was enormous. It was great to relax on in the evenings. My only complaint (which my boyfriend would disagree!!) was the mattress was HARD!!

FOOD- This is the time when our review starts going downhill :(. I'm going to write separate paragraphs for each restaurant we visited. [[And a side note: although not all of the restaurants are listed here (I think they changed the locations of some of them; for example, the steakhouse is now on Paraiso Maya's property), this website gives some of the menus(we found this very helpful to decide where we wanted to eat): http://www.iberodise.com/index_main.php ]].

LA LAGUNA- We visited La Laguna each morning for a breakfast buffet. Quite honestly, this is the only food that I really enjoyed. They had a large selection of food- from fresh fruit to fresh pastries, pancakes, waffles, french toast, bacon, sausage, cereal, a variety of potatoes, omelettes, and eggs. All of the food was quite fresh and the variety could appeal to anyone.

EL FOGON- (This restaurant is a breakfast/lunch buffet during the day, but is now the Italian restaurant at night).

Lunch Buffet- This is the first meal we had when we arrived at the resort. It was AWFUL. The hamburger buns were stale. Many of their dishes were very bland and seemed to be sitting out for quite some time. Perhaps it was the time of day, but we were both highly unimpressed.

Italian- First off, we are from St. Louis, which has some of the best Italian food on the planet, so our opinion of Italian may be a bit biased :). I ordered Spaghetti Bolonesa and my boyfriend ordered a Cheese Ravioli dish. We both thought that the food was extremely average and not very flavorful. The service was amazing, but the food did not leave us satisfied.

EL RANCHO- As mentioned before, the steakhouse is located on Paraiso Maya's property. We both ordered the Tenderloin and unanimously agreed that they (unsuccessfully) tried to pass off a sirloin as a tenderloin. Our meal also came with a plate of spicy grilled shrimp that were excellent, but the "tenderloins" were very average.

EL TAPATIO- This is the Mexican restaurant, which is technically located on Paraiso Maya's property. Meal-wise, this was the biggest disappointment of all. First off, we had a reservation for 7:30, came at 7:15 and was turned away for 15 minutes because we were "too early". Looking at the menu, we noticed that most of the menu items didn't resemble anything like Mexican food. I ordered beef and pork tacos, which were decent, but again very average with bland flavor (average is definitely a trend with their restaurants!!). My boyfriend ordered a lobster, which he ate less than a bite and refused to eat it because the taste was so foul.

JAMBALAYA- Both my boyfriend and I ordered rib eye. My boyfriend thought it was spectacular and seasoned perfectly. We also had some coconut shrimp that were delicious. This was probably our favorite meal.

**NOTE- Each restaurant offers an appetizer buffet. I give them credit for trying to accommodate guests from all over the world, but their salads were pathetic (they offered a large plate of iceberg lettuce and a large plate of carrots with your choice of dressing) and many of the other appetizers (AGAIN!!) were very average and boring. Each restaurant has different offerings, so perhaps you will find something to suit your tastes.

BARS- I think I mentioned this before, but all of the bar staff was AMAZING!! The bars appear to be equipped with a full variety of liquor, but this particular resort only has Dos Equis beer (which is delicious) and some type of Amber beer (I'm not sure of the name). Frozen drinks were average (the frozen drink mix had a very strange taste to us), but definitely packed a punch. Our favorite bar was Paraiso Maya's lobby bar (we called it the Snake Bar; if you visit it, you'll know why!).

POOLS- We didn't spend much time at the pools because the weather wasn't in our favor, but the main pool has an awesome swim-up bar. Also, the jacuzzis are cool water, which wasn't fun with the weather we experienced :(. The pools were very clean and well-maintained.

ACTIVITIES/ENTERTAINMENT- Again, due to the weather, we were unable to participate in many activities. It appears that there are many activities for kids (ping pong, beachside soccer, archery, etc). There are also dance classes, water aerobics, card tables, and pool tables. We sat in on a few of the entertainment shows at night and they appeared to be very cheesy/loud/annoying, but this may appeal to some people. They have a different show each night at the theater.

A FEW SIDE NOTES-

-MAKE SURE TO BRING BUG SPRAY!! There are mosquitoes everywhere. The gift shop sells bug spray for 125 pesos, but I'm sure you can purchase it for cheaper at home.
-IF YOU AREN'T KID FRIENDLY (LIKE US!!), THIS RESORT ISN'T FOR YOU!! This resort would be fabulous for a family, but NOT for a young couple. Screaming children everywhere isn't part of my definition of a relaxing vacation.
-IF YOU WANT TO VENTURE INTO DOWNTOWN PLAYA DEL CARMEN, there is a shuttle (for $4/person each way) that leaves the shopping center (right outside the Paraiso Lindo property) multiple times per day. Ask your concierge for more information!!

Finally, I hope this review helped you a bit. Although we wouldn't stay here again, this resort may fit your needs perfectly!! And enjoy our pictures!! :)

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
4 Thank miss_schrader
Ft.Worth, TX
Reviewed 27 December 2009

My husband, 3 1/2 yr. old & myself stayed 5 nights at the Lindo 12/22-12/27th.
We literally just returned TODAY so everything is very fresh on my mind.
Here is the COMPLETE lowdown & some great tips...

1.)The facilities are stunning as you've probably read over & over.
Yes, they are immaculate & VERY well maintained. It is a "kodak moment" everywhere you look. We were in building 52 on the third floor & did not have an ant problem at all. The water pressure is low in the shower, the toilet flusher is strange & the walls are very thin. You can hear everything right through them. The only "real" issue we had was our refrigerator never worked the entire time we were there, so never any cold drinks in the room (without getting ice). Saw these little racoon-like animals stealing leftover food at night from plates that were left by the guests outside the door (from room service). Very entertaining, actually. My 3 yr. old is still talking about the "racoons". LOL (You'll also see peacocks & iguanas/chameleons- pretty cool.)

2.)You've probably read complaints about the "hard" beds & possibly the food.
The beds were the LEAST of our complaints. We actually slept better than we ever have.

3.) Food wise, the only thing that was really yucky was the watered down orange juice, the weird tasting sprite & the weird tasting lobster tail. The homemade donuts & coconut ice cream were to die for. The buffet (by the theatre) was the best- especially when you have a picky eating 3 1/2 yr. old. We also ate dinner at the Japanese hibachi and seafood restaurants. Liked the Japanese hibachi the best (as far as reservation type places go). They really really do their best to make everyone happy- especially at the hibachi place. PLEASE bring extra dollars for tips. Don't have to, I know, but ya gotta give these folks a HUGE "E" for effort & great service. ESPECIALLY at the Japanese restaurant. They are very happy to even just get a dollar tip. The mariachi band that would come in periodically and play was also a very nice touch.
The only COMPLAINT about the restaurants: If you arrive between 4:30 & 6:30 & are hungry then, there was no place to eat. We found even the snack bar was closed. Also, we do not like the idea of having to make dinner reservations AT ALL. (We're on vacation for pete's sakes! Should be an "open door" policy.) When you get there, make your reservations as far in advance as possible, or you won't get your choice at all, or will have to eat at 9:00pm at night, or be stuck eating the buffet every day. Plan ahead if nothing else for some variety.
Also, there is NO HAND SANITIZER AT ALL in any of the restaurants. YUCK! That's a very cheap thing they could do to prevent sickness/germs but they don't. BRING SOME &/or some hand wipes when you go to eat.

4.)Beautiful beach, but by 9:00am all the chairs are usually taken. Get there as soon as possible! Also, need to have pool AND beach towel check in. The only place you can get towels is at the pool- not by the beach.

5.)All the kids that stayed there were very well behaved. A very laid back atmosphere. Not too inundated with kids at all. That was nice. They also have a "kids club" childcare place on the premises which looked to be nice.

6.)You'll be walking a lot because the property is huge, so bring comfortable walking shoes & insect repellent because the mosquitoes are bad at night. Also, get used to the trolley. It'll make things a LOT easier & is fun to ride. They run nearly constantly.

7.)Make time to see the nightly shows. Even the "mini show" is so cute. They get the kids on stage every night to perform, then follow it up with a very nice, impressive show for the grown ups. Israel is the illustrious show host. Very handsome (resembles actor Benjamin Bratt) & does a FANTASTIC job. Even the shyest people will be singing, dancing, & having a blast. Were pleasantly surprised by the nice costumes/outfits/effort.

8.)If you need to go to WalMart & decide to take a taxi, it is $21 each way and takes about 30 mins.

9.)If you do an excursion, don't waste the time & money on Tulum. You'll spend the whole day getting there & back, for something pretty boring actually. We went to Xcaret & loved it but were not told about ALL the options (by Lomas travel- on the Lindo property)as far as the entry fee goes. It's cheaper if you bring your own towel, own snorkel & pay for the buffet yourself. It's also cheaper if you go after 3:00pm. These are things you don't know until you actually get there.

10.)If you need internet access, the only place they have it is by the front lobby and it is $3.00 per 15 mins. The computers are also in Spanish & there is no "@" sign on the keyboard. I spent a good 14 of my 15 mins just trying to figure things out in spanish (which I don't speak) & to get an "@" sign somehow. If internet is important, invest in one of those things where you can plug it into your computer & get internet anywhere in the world because it is extremely inconvienient if you go through the hotel.

11.)Last, the "biggie" & huge complaint that we had. The pool/wave pool & lazy river is ICE COLD!!! Iberostar was went out of their way to make sure everything else was awesome, you'd think they would have spent a little extra to make sure the pool stayed a nice, comfortable evenly warm temperature!!!! The ocean was actually warmer & even that was cold. I didn't want to miss out on my son's first trip to the beach, wave pool, etc. so I had to break down and buy a WET SUIT because it was miserable, actually. So if you get cold easy, bring a wet suit to keep you warm in their ice cold pool & bring a little zip up lightweight jacket for the evenings because the evenings got pretty cool as well.

We would definately go back, but due to their ice cold pools, may seriously consider a warmer climate area facility a little closer to the equator.

1 Thank FtWorthTXmommy
Cleveland, OH
Reviewed 23 December 2009

Originally booked at the Iberostar Tucan, we were asked if we wanted to move to the Lindo. Having been at it’s sister resort, right next door this past summer, we jumped at the chance to stay there.
Food was terrific, as always. Great culinary variety, great service from the wait staff even at the buffet’s.
There is a wave pool that ran for about 30 minutes every hour. Kids had a blast.
Beach is beautiful with lounge chairs in good supply and easy access to food and bathrooms.
For families with kids under 12, the kids club has a wealth of activities for them including sand castle building contests, games, crafts and movies.
We would absolutely go back.

4 Thank weakin
Canada
Reviewed 22 December 2009

All that we expected from a higher-end all-inclusive. Clean, beautiful beach, nice pools, ok food. Our 18-months old girl really enjoyed it - and so did we.

2 Thank hala_Ukie
Toronto
Reviewed 21 December 2009

We just got back from the resort, this was the best resort we ever stayed at. We are a couple in late 20s. We have been to Dominican republic a few times and Cuba and this was our first time in Mexico. We always like to try new places but this is the first resort that we might go back later.

Resort: The resort itself is very beautiful. There are 5 Iberostar resorts together. Beach and Del Mar are 4.5 stars and share pools, beach and restaurants. Lindo and Maya are 5 stars and also share pools, beach and restaurants. If you are staying in the last 2 you can use anything in the Beach and Del Mar. And the last one is Grand which is very fancy.
In the resort everything is looked after, very clean.
Every building has it's own concierge where you can book all your restaurants for the whole week, and get any help you need.

Food: Good veriaty of meat and vegetarian dishes. Always have fresh vegetables and fruits. You have to try Gaspacho soup in the lunch buffet by the pool, it is the best. In the morning they always have lots of fresh juices. During the day there is a bar in the pool area where you can get freshly squeezed juice.
There are at least 7 restaurants you can go to. Japanese has good food but you want to go there for the show. They have square tables for 20 people and in the middle the chef is cooking and does a great show. There is fire, joggling.... We liked the food in French and Cajun restaurants. The others were just ok for our taste.

Rooms: pretty standard, but spacious. Very clean. There are no rooms with ocean view.

Beach: very clean with white sand. The water is transparent. There are some rocks in the water, but just a few. And since the water is so clear you can see them.
Always space available in the shadow or sun.

Pool: Different pools and always space available in the shadow or sun.

Entertainment: Lots of activities every day (I think 25). The evening entertainment is very nice. You usually have singers before the show. You have a preshow game. Followed by the show, that is usually very nice (we especially liked the one with couples). After the show there are singers again. Also there is a shopping center in the resort and they have life music a few times a week from 7 - 9 pm.

Tours: We went to Playa Del Carmen for a few hours. The hotel has shuttles for 40 pesos. The town has main street fifth avenue with LOTS of stores especially silver jewellery. There are some nice cafes and bars around there as well. The only organized tour we took was to Coba with kayak, repeling, Mayan village, zip lines and cave with water. The tour was pretty nice. Kayak and zip lines are a bit primitive. But the whole experience was nice. We booked the trip through our representative. But you can probably get much better deals if you buy the trip in Playa del Carmen directly from the company that does the trips.

Service: Generally great. The only improvement we could think of is in the buffets. If you tip they will be very attentive to you. Otherwise most not so much. You also have 24 hour free room service which is very nice when you arrive late or have to eat breakfast early in the morning.

Overall we loved this resort and didn't want to leave. Hope to be back there again.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
Now Jade Riviera Cancun
#8 of 25 in Puerto Morelos
15.6 km away
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Es...
#31 of 210 in Playa del Carmen
29.2 km away
Moon Palace Cancun
Moon Palace Cancun
#24 of 175 in Cancun

Been to Iberostar Paraiso Lindo? Share your experiences!