“Great resort for families” 5 of 5 bubbles

Iberostar Paraiso Maya
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
GreenLeadersGold level
Plainsboro, NJ
“Great resort for families”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2012

We just returned on the 17th from a one week stay here. Had a great room in Building 63, overlooking the quiet side. Kids (ages 6 and 8) loved all the pools, particularly the wave pool. The Tapatio restaurant was our favorite. Jairo and Bogar at Olympus Tours gave us great advice on side trips.

7 Thank LMGinNJ

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (861)
  • Polish first
Kitchener, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2012

I have been to many all inclusive resorts. This one was different in that I found it to more "attractive", I guess you could say. The food was good and resort and rooms were clean. We were there as a family group of 10 over X-mas 2011. Ages 5 - 80. There was something for every age group and Santa parachuted in on X-mas day.
Nice holiday.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank wrxcat
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2012

Just a great week all round, wonderful food - buffet excellent, also Steak House and Japanese amazing, Mexican a bit disappointing, would've expected more fajitas, tacos etc but hey we still all ate too much!!
Superior Junior suite in building 63, overlooking private pool. Huge room, king size bed and double sofa bed for kids, twin sinks in bathroom, shower and jacuzzi bath, loads of towels and bath robes too.
Numerous pools - wave pool, lazy river, swim up bar, kids pool and play area. My daughter slipped whilst playing on the Pirate ship and scrapped her toes badly, within 5 mins of my informing staff nearby, a security man with first aid was there to patch her up, and the next day our Concierge called to check how she was doing.
Beach great, and shallow for a good way out, so the kids could go in easily.....and swim with the fish!! My 5 year old thought this was incredible:) Beach food also great. You do need to play the very early morning towel game to get a chair with shade/palapas at beach or main pools......the sunrise at 6am almost makes up for the early rising!
Grounds beautifully kept, a lush paradise. The Paraiso Lindo right next door also has gorgeous areas, and you can use the pools there too. We didnt wander that way until the last day, wish we had done so sooner, there were some serenely quiet areas and yet more pools!
Service at all times fantastic, no waiting to check in or out, no waiting to be seated at buffet, just superb staff all round.... Gabriella at the buffet, greets you with a warm and friendly smile.
Ice cream bar, wonderful; hidden Taco shop at the Shopping centre great for alternative lunch.
Shows, only managed to stay awake for two, but they were very good, the Star Friends work so hard all the time, day and night.
We hope to return again soon.....for longer!!

Room Tip: If you are in building 60, closest to the beach, ask for top floor, ground floor rooms are dark due...
9 Thank Barky66
Edmonton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2012

We have been at this hotel for four years in a row. This place is absolutely everything you would want in a hotel. We go at the same time every year which is last week of SDeptember and first week of October. We are going again in 2012 and we think we will stay at the Grand which is the fifth hotel out of five hotels. Hard to imangine we are looking at the Grand which is nicer than the Maya. We are so spoiled.

Room Tip: All rooms are excellent. May require longer or shorter walks to the beach.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank EdmontonJimmy
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2012

Just got back for Iberostar Paraiso Maya, just want to say it was a wonderful experience. Great hotel, nice staff, fine service, good food, especially the specialty restaurants. Magnificent grounds, with pools galore.Would recommend it highly, feels like you are in paradise. Very family friendly with lots of activities for all. A terrific place to stay.

Room Tip: Our room was on the first floor which I feel is the most convenient.
5 Thank NewCityBabs
Rocky View
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2012

We stayed at the Iberostar Maya from March 25-April 8, 2012 – family of four with two boys ages 14 and 10. It’s a long review, but hopefully helpful!

Check in – very quick check in with no lineups while luggage was on its way to our room with the bell service.

Room – We were very lucky to get room 6372 which was on the top floor facing the private pool for that building. Two beds as requested, yes beds hard as expected but on day two asked maid to put foamies in and after that it was just perfect. In my room request sent in a week before our arrival, I had asked for pool-facing, top floor and two beds in building 61. Got everything but the building, but was pleased anyway as 63 was my second choice. What I didn’t realize until I got there and could really see the layout, was that only about 6 rooms on the top floor of building 61 face the main pool, all others would have an obstructed view or face the other way anyway. In our room facing the private pool was very beautiful and we used the private pool quite a few times at the end of the day to get away from the crowds and music and chill out.

Room Service – only tried this once and our experience wasn’t good so won’t do it again. Ordered at 9:30pm a burger, hotdog, fries and ceasar salad. They said it would be about 45 mins which I thought was reasonable at the time. At 10:45 I called and the kitchen hadn’t received the order. The fellow that took my order came on the phone and apologized upside down and said he would stay overtime to make it right. He called back in 5 mins and said it would arrive in 20min. Well it arrived at 11:30pm and it was stone cold so we couldn’t eat it anyway. The next time the boys wanted to stay in to eat, I just went to the buffet, made up plates to order, covered them in dinner napkins and brought them to the room myself. Room service by Mom :) Needless to say we didn’t order room service again.

Room Maintenance – we only had a couple of issues with the room. In all instances, they were dealt with very quickly. What impressed me the most was that the concierge calls the room to follow-up to ensure the issue was dealt with to our satisfaction. If we weren’t in the room, they left a note on the door to stop by the concierge desk. On about day 12 we had a problem with the room safe where all of a sudden it stopped working – I went down to the concierge and maintenance was in our room within about 10 mins to fix it. Wow, very impressive.

Room Amenities – almost perfect. The only improvements I would recommend is that they stock the room with 2 nice drink glasses for those that like to mix in the room with their own. We ended up just bringing some plastic drink glasses from the bar to keep in the room, but had to hide them in the cupboard or the maid would clean them up and remove them, of course.

Concierge – nice touch for sure to have them available in each building and for such long hours – around 9am – 11pm they were there with the odd break here and there.

Restaraunts for Dinner – We ate at the Steakhouse(x2), Japanese(x2), Brazilian, Italian, Cajun and Mexican. The order was our preference for sure. Unfortunately we couldn’t try the Gourmet because my youngest son was 10, but that was ok. Did the buffet 2-3 times, the tacos in the plaza and Playa del Carmen for dinner one night.

Breakfast – rotated between frequenting the Seafood restaurant (only for Maya guests), the Lindo buffet or the poolside buffet (Italian by night). I preferred the Seafood restaurant and the Lindo buffet as they always had jugs of juices, of which two of the types were banana and mango (my favourites!) which you wouldn’t see at the poolside breakfast buffet. The poolside was nice if we were going directly back to our pool chairs from breakfast as it was close to where we always sat.

Lunch – rotated between poolside buffet (move often) and Lindo buffet and only ate at the beach buffet twice. We preferred to sit inside to eat as a change from being outside, just a little more comfortable.

Pools – Wow! Gorgeous pools, cool and refreshing and always very clean. The pool cleaners are in and working on the pools cleaning well into the night. Total pool chair saving game and I was all in. You had to be if you wanted a chair at all. From what I understand from talking with several staff members, our second week was at 100% capacity so you could just imagine. If you wanted to have chairs poolside, you couldn’t be out any later than 6:00am, seriously. Before leaving, many reviews said 7:00am, but that likely would have been in a lower occupancy rate, because by 7:00am it was completely reserved with towels, magazines/books, pool bags, whatever to hold a chair. We would get two on pool edge and two behind in the shade so we could get out of the shade when needed. Pool games like crazy, more the second week than the first. The music was great, but got very repetitive after two weeks for sure. I thought the “Good morning, good morning!” song was cute at first, but then grew to get a little tired of it each day. On our last day they actually played it 4x in a row, arghhh!

Beach – Beautiful! Beach chairs went early too if you wanted shade under a palapa. Probably by about 6:30-7:00 those would be gone too. Every morning I watched the sun rise and read my book for an hour after the sun came up. Sometimes I napped a little from getting up so early to get the pool chairs :) We noticed they did the Beach Party almost every day, probably because it was busier than ever compared to other times. The ocean was yellow flagged when we arrived, red most of the middle and yellow again on our last full day. But even on red flag there were still several people in the water to hit the waves.

Shows – better than any that I have seen at any other resort. Saw the Magic show, Pre-Hispanic show, Hollywood show. There were many others but we were so tired by then that just couldn’t take them in.

Lobby Bar- great place for the 14 year old to catch up on his facebook and social life with the free wifi but it was a pretty slow connection. Nice to decompress there at the end of the day after dinner as well, with popcorn served with drinks if you wanted. I had a WONDERFUL chocolate martini one night and could have had several more if I wasn’t so darn tired. I didn’t say anything to the bartender but “chocolate martini” and it was perfect.

Bars/Drinks – We were VERY pleased to find out that at EVERY bar we frequented whether it was at the pool, the beach, restaurants or lobby there was ALWAYS Captain Morgan’s Spiced Rum to be found. That was my husband’s biggest worry about the trip and he was pleasantly surprised. Because we always sat in the same place at the pool, we made good friends with our poolside barmaid (with good tips) and she was by our chair about every 30-45 mins to check on us. She knew our preferences and even knew what we liked in the late morning vs afternoon! Always a good thing to make friends with your bartender :)

Excursions – Went to Xplor again (went two years ago) and LOVED it again. Highly recommend this if you like ziplining. To save a bit of money and have more flexibility, we cabbed it there ourselves ($40 each way) and paid admission at the gate ($109 adult x3 and $55 for child). Overall saved about $75 than doing it through the tour price at $139 adult x3 and $80 child). They build in $30 per adult for transportation, but by taking a cab as a family we got there when the park opened at 9am and could leave whenever we wanted. We beat the crowd ahead of the tours all the way through the park. This works out cheaper as long as you are 3 adults or more, for only 2 adults it would be cheaper going with the tour. Also did the Bleu Magic Catamaran from Puerto Adventurous to Tulum (included snorkeling at the reef outside of Tulum and lunch on the boat) and then a tour of Tulum. Only about 20% went snorkeling as it was really rough and many were a little green from the trip, including us. We all took Gravol before going, but it was rougher than usual and me and the kids all had problems. We had done a Catamaran before (Fat Cat Catamarans) and the boys loved it so thought this would be great, this was HIGHLY recommended by the Air Canada rep. Well we did it, but I wouldn’t recommend it if you haven’t seen Tulum and this was an important part of your expectations. We didn’t get to Tulum until about 3:00pm, had to do the tour with one guide and everyone on the catamaran (probably about 60), had to listen to both English and French (instead of a guided tour in your only language only) and probably only saw half of what I know is there from being there before. The tour talk ended at the stairs at 4:40 that go down to the beach but we could go down there because the stairs close at the same time for people wanting to go down so we couldn’t. THIS is what I wanted to show my kids the most so I was very disappointed. We had NO time to do any exploring on our own to see the rest of what was there. We had to meet at the vans for 4:50 and the bathrooms were already closed to the public so couldn’t go. With an hour van ride back ahead of us, this was not a good thing. I actually paid the van driver to stop at a gas station in Playa del Carmen so I could go, at first he wasn’t impressed but when I told him it would be worth his while he stopped for me – there was no way I would have made it.

If anyone has any questions, I would be happy to try and help out.

19 Thank jemm
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2012

I just loved every minute of my vacation! Staff was courteous, always available and ready to serve you. Water features everywhere. Ice cream bar at the main pool, lots of chairs at the pools and beach. Food was exquisite but not the restaurants buffet turned a la carte at night...Beach was perfect, you can snorkel right at the beach or take a snorkeling excursion from the beach with the Dressel divers 90 min- 40$ US! Can't beat that! Jet ski on site, 80$US-30 min. Dive center on site. There is nothing bad to say about Iberostar...nothing! The Maya resort is for adults only and it's very quiet. The Maya is also suites only which is very nice...The called us the first night to let us know that they are available 24/7 if we need anything...wow. The second day we needed one of the sinks repaired and by the time we got back to the beach, it was...plus they called us to make sure we were satisfied! Made all the reservations for the restaurants by phone, it took only 5 min. Reviews for the restaurants: L'Étoile(French gourmet) 5*, La Marina (sea food) 3*, Italian 2*(buffet during the day), Japanese 5*(very good show), El Rancho(Steak house) 5*, Mexican(buffet during the day) 3*, El Muse(French gourmet) 5*. The grounds are very large but there is always a staff member on a golf cart ready to take you anywhere and there is a shopping express train for the shopping mall a few minutes away on the resort. I really felt like a star...The buffets are vast especially at Maya buffet...lots to eat. We were in bloc 62, 3rd floor, garden view. No bugs...nice and quiet! The chambermaid was very thorough and left us towel art on our bed and in the bathroom. Right smack in the middle of everything. Not too far not too close. I also took a 30 min massage, I swear she almost broke my ribs...but boy was it worth it!

Room Tip: We were in bloc 62, 3rd floor, garden view. No bugs...nice and quiet! Right smack in the middle of e...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Moon Palace Cancun
Moon Palace Cancun
#23 of 182 in Cancun
4.5 of 5 bubbles 19,674 reviews

Been to Iberostar Paraiso Maya? Share your experiences!