“Best Way To Relax in Mexico”

Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
GreenLeadersGold level
Charleston, South Carolina
“Best Way To Relax in Mexico”
Reviewed 23 February 2012

I stayed at the Paraiso in November 2011. It was my first time using Iberostar. The entire trip was a blast and wonderful. This was an all inclusive trip and it truly was just that. Upon arrival, you are greeted with a mimosa and escorted into a grand lobby. The hotel staff are fluent in English and make check in a breeze. My suite was over 700 square feet and immaculate. The Butler, stocked my minibar with my specified cocktails and kept the minibar stocked the entire 6 days. It tripped me out on the second day when I went to get ice to find that the ice bucket was full of ice. I thought at first, wow what an ice bucket to keep the ice cold that long. Then afte the third day and emptying the ice before I left for the day to come back to the room to find more ice that it was being refilled by the Butler. Iberostar treats theirs guest like movie stars. They iron your clothes (for a very small fee. 9 dresses only cost 28 dollars and I got them back in 2 hours). Their on property entertainment is outstanding and varied. I was able to hire a private guide who escorted me into town and interpreted for me with the local shop keepers, carried all my bags and then took me to one of their favorate outside resturants for lunch. I paid for the lunch, but my chicken and rice and vegatables smothered in mexican herbs and their lunch with 3 mexican cocktails only cost $14 us. So it was a bargan. The resort is pristine on the inside and outside. The food ranges from lobster tails to Japanese to Mexican fair etc. One of the waiters/chefs, prepared an esquite coffee drink at my table that had strawberry ice cream in it. It was marvelous. I highly recommend Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso for single women traveling alone, couples and just friends who want a great holiday and relaxation with style. The weather was fantastic. I was able to jet ski for just $80 dollars for an hours and atv for $75 with a private guide. We went to some great off road sites that many tourists don't get to explore. I saw an authentic myan underground ruin. There are 6 resturants to choose from and a breakfast buffet. In the afternoons there is always some type of activity going on and usually an outside barbeque.

Room Tip: Iberostar has 5 resorts on this property. If you are a couple or traveling alone and do not want to...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank infoctrl
IberostarMexico, Quality manager - Iberostar Mexico. at Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso, responded to this review, 26 February 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for your generous review. We are pleased to hear that we provided you with all the elements that mak your stayenjoyable and peacefull. We deeply appreciate reviews made by guests and believe in working hard to ensure that we maintain the high standards set by our guests.

We look forward to welcoming you again in the near future and ensuring that you are not disappointed

Warmest regards,

Quality manager - Iberostar Mexico.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,453)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 23 February 2012

We had a very good time at the Iberostar Grand Paraiso. Some of the criticisms we did not find to be an issue - finding chairs by the pool or beach was not a significant problem. The towels in the room are a tight weave and not the plush towels such as at the pool but not a big issue.

The food and service in the a la carte restaurants were excellent. The one issue we had was the reservations. They really only have essentially two seatings such as some cruise ships - 1830 and 1900 or 2030 and 2100. Although we made reservations upon our arrival for the week, we were unable to have a seating other than 2100. The restaurants as reported are at 40% capacity at most. Allowing for more staggered schedules would have allowed us to have reservations at times so that we could partake in the evening shows if we wished.

Nightlife otherwise there is fairly abysmal. There were a couple of lounge lizards playing 70s music with a guitar and electric organ in a small lounge by the lobby. They have a restaurant that they use only for lunches, close to the ocean and accessible to those in the Oceanfront rooms (which is a good number of the clientele), and reconfiguring that so that there is a bar and dancing at night might be a nice touch.

There is very little live entertainment otherwise except what is provided by the Star Friends in terms of some of the sports activities. For the price, they could provide some other music and entertainment by their pool area which is very nice.

Every one was very friendly. Tipping is not required, however, small amounts are very much appreciated. The grounds are very pretty, but not necessarily better than other places we have stayed. They modified the mini-bar to our wants, created a nice bath with rose petals, swans on the bed, etc. We had room service for breakfast on the day we were leaving - it was excellent.

Unfortunately, I booked through the hotel directly, and after speaking with some guests, certainly better values can be had by going through some of the vacation or discount sites and I would suggest that.

Airport transfer was quite easy. We used USA transfers $80 plus tip round trip - they were reliable and pleasant. As you leave the Cancun airport there are gentlemen that look rather "official" that while they have some tourism pointers, there job apparently is to have you visit certain areas and/or timeshare opportunities. Do not feel obligated to stop and talk to them, it is about 20 minutes before you can detach yourself from them.

6 Thank Agrob
Dear Guest:

Thank you for writing your very kind review of our property. It is an honor to hear that you are satisfied with most of our services and entertainment.

Since you liked the restaurant close to the beach, we would suggest to enquire about Private dining for your next stay. which add a romantic touch to your dining experience.

We hope that when you consider our personalized Butler Service, spacious rooms and scenic views of the Caribbean Sea, you will not hesitate to book your next vacation at the Iberostar Grand Paraiso.

We look forward to hearing how we can assist on your next trip, please feel free to email us!

Kindest Regards,

Providence, Rhode Island
Reviewed 23 February 2012

To say our stay at this hotel was enjoyable would be a vast understatement. The hotel itself looks like something out of a movie. Beautiful marble floors and impeccably cleaned estates. The service is second to none as we were pampered 24/7 with revitalizing breakfasts, themed lunch specials, ending with extravagant dinners. The pool was wonderful with its friendly and entertaining bar staff. We not only sharing drinks, but great conversations and plenty of photo moments. Activities are also plentiful from romantic couples massages, sailing, to romantic moments lying together sipping drinks in a bed on the beach. When there were times we retired to our beautiful room, we were greeted by clean fresh linings creatively decorated in rose petals. Basking in the tree swing or laying back in the Jacuzzi are great options along with a quick call to the butler for a bottle of champagne and any meal you could imagine delivered right to your room. For days we felt like being adventurous and embarking on excursions, we had the absolute pleasure of working with Catalin from Olympus Tours. She sat with us and took the time to outline all the amenities of the area and gave us the guidance and direction to make our vacation that much more enjoyable. Her vast knowledge of activities coupled with a genuine kindness and caring approach to us was really overwhelming.
In closing, its safe to say both Iberostar and Olympus Tours have customers for life along with our recommendation to anyone we meet or know. We are already planning our return. Thanks again for our memorable first visit.

Room Tip: I would suggest going with the ocean "view" vs. a room of the garden.
3 Thank DfrJr
IberostarMexico, Quality manager - Iberostar Mexico at Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso, responded to this review, 26 February 2012
Dear Guest:

Thank to you for sharing your review which highlighted many aspects of our service and facilities.

We have planned a vacation experience for our guests that includes, a warm welcome, a satisfactory stay and lasting memories.
Our staff are all aware of how important your vacation is, and ensure that your needs are anticipated and services are provided in a spirit of warmth and professionalism.

We look forward to your return to our property, and have no hesitation in assuring you, that you will enjoy your future visits even more.

Warmest Regards,

Quality manager - Iberostar Mexico
naperville
Reviewed 22 February 2012

Just back from our second stay at the Grand Hotel and total of four stays at the Iberostar. Have to say, we are even more impressed the second time around! I highly recommend paying for the ocean front suite and upgrading to a corner room when you arrive. It is worth EVERY penny! The staff at the hotel remembered us and we were welcomed with the same room we had last year!
As usual, the food, drinks and entertainment were tremendous! The staff was even more attentive than last year, which in our opinion was hard to beat.
One cool thing that has been added is a higher grade of wine offered at the restaurants. Evidently, Antonio Banderas is now the spokesperson for Iberostar and he owns a vineyard. He was on the property doing publicity shots the week before we arrived. In any event, Iberostar is now serving his wine in the restaurants. We are huge wine people and quite frankly last year we didn't really drink the wine because it was mediocre at best. Which was fine since we really enjoy tequila while in Mexico. However, this year we gave the Malbec a try and it was pretty good.
This is the only time my husband and I get away by ourselves without kids for 5 nights. We love it because we can golf, play tennis, grab some volleyball, hang out and simply enjoy being a couple again. This is the perfect spot for exactly that mission! We'll be back again next year, same weekend!

Room Tip: pay the extra money to upgrade to a corner ocean front suite....worth EVERY penny!
5 Thank GPJillNaperville
IberostarMexico, Quality manager - Iberostar Mexico. at Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso, responded to this review, 24 February 2012
Dear guest,

We are very pleased to note that your second stay at Iberostar Grand Paraiso lived up to your expectations. Thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback.

We are looking forward to your return visit next year, same weekend!

With warm regards,

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed 21 February 2012

My husband and I are just back from 10 days and 9 fabulous nights at the Grand Paraiso. I was our 4th visit to this hotel (6th to this complex, 8th Iberostar overall). Last year we tried a different resort chain in the Riviera Maya area, and though it was lovely, we longed to return to the GRAND.
I will try to keep my review short (yeh right)
Room:
Got to the hotel around noon, the airport was crazy busy when we arrived on 2/10, and the room we had requested was ready. Building 72 , top level, overlooking the tranquility pool.... stunning sunset off your balcony so opt for that side of the builiding.
Now the whole butler thing is kind of glorified room service. We never met or saw our butler but when I called for more Corona, Bucket of ice, or a bottle of champagne, we got it in less than 10 minutes every time.
Maids are amazing, our room was cleaned by noon every day and refresehed each evening while we were at dinner...
One day I left a message asking for some water - in my best spanish, with some tip pesos on the note, the note was gone, water restocked, but the money never touched. I made sure I handed her the money the next day with a big thank you.
Pool/Beach:
We are beach lovers so this property has one of the best beaches in this area and we love it to walk. as for the pool, one day we were by ourselfs there till well after 10:00am odd, since the weather was nothing short of perfect our whole 10 days.
The Star Friends are so fun and friendly, Edar remembered my husband by name and it had been 24 months since our last visit... WOW.
Marilu, our pool waitress was the nicest women, greeting us each morning with an ice cold bottle of water followed by our Drink of the day !!
Food:
I found the food to be 5star all the way, even exceeding the last time we were there. The Lamb Ribs at the Italian restaurant are heavenly as is the wild mushroom risotto.
We did not have a meal we were not 100% happy with, in fact the presentation on some meals was well above par and this is a noticiable improvement we felt. you do eat with your eyes first.
Wines at dinner were very good. Selection on the inclusive wine list is very impressive. We dined next door at one of the Maya property restaurants, and a wine we got at the Grand, was an extra charge over there.
We ate at all the restaurants, Toni and Venecia were our favs.
The wait staff are amazing, be sure to watch for Juan Carlos and Pattison, they are top notch.

We met some wonderful people on our trip, we always do at this place.
Hi to Frank and Julie, and congratulations again! and hi to Patrick and Jane , who are still there :(, so lucky.

We will be back to the Grand in 353 sleeps. I already am counting down.
THis place is my favorite all- inclusive resort, we are extensive travellers so this says alot.

Room Tip: Building 72 , tranquility pool side
6 Thank menhub
Dear Guest,

We express our sincere gratitude for your kind review. It is nice to hear that our rooms, food and staff made your vacations so memorable.

We certainly strive to provide impeccable service throughout all areas of the hotel and I’m happy to hear that you found this to be true.

It would be our greatest pleasure to welcome you again and help in creating new memories.

Kind Regards,

Sainte Agathe des Monts, Canada
Reviewed 21 February 2012

me and my soul mate spent a week in this absolutely wonderfull hotel and beach
the food was like awesome the rooms were perfect all about the hotel was beyond our expectations

but there was something about our trip that really took us into an other dimension
we met awesome people at the dressel divers club and i need to mention that
while we were going back to our room wich had a beach walk out taking my snorkling fins
on the balcony since im a deep water free diver but my wife wasn't into that at all ....

a man called ANDREAS wearing scuba gear suggested we do a try out in pool
he made my wife feel confident we both jumped into the pool........
she found that awesome guess what we both have certifications now
WE HAD THE TIME OF OUR LIVES ...... we discovered a whole new planet together

we have an awesome video of our dives thanks to film maker IRENE

every one should go there and take the course ANREAS was excellent teaching us
we will go back cause we just got born again ...thanks to dressel divers
and to my new friends

Room Tip: beach side were awesome about 100 feet from the sea sunrises are beautifull
1 Thank PatrickSt-andre
Dear Guest,

It is really delightful to hear that you had a great time at the Iberostar Grand Paraiso!

For us it is important to know that you valued; food, accommodation and the divers activities.
Therefore we sincerely thank you for taking the time to let us know about them.

At Iberostar Grand Paraiso, we certainly believe in offering world-class facilities and service to enrich your experience, the Management team and Staff take great pride in ensuring that you, our valued guest get always treated with the utmost in personal care.

Many thanks for your review and we look forward to your return visit.

Washington, DC
Reviewed 20 February 2012

This review is long overdue...My Husband and I made arrangements with the Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso Staff to have our wedding Labor Day weekend 2011. Since my husband and I do not have kids we opt for an adult only resort to enjoy this lovely experience. This place is beautiful, every detail is eye catching. We stayed at the Iberostar Aug 31- Sept 4th and enjoyed every minute of it. The service was over and beyond my expectations. Upon arrival the staff upgraded our rooms to an oceanfront suite. The room was gorgeous and so convenient considering our ceremony was held at the steps toward the beach. We were in the 7th building which has an excellent view of the ocean. This resort was so peaceful, clean and relaxing. We had a fun pack couple of days considering we had to finish final plans for the wedding along with enjoy the resort and plan excursions.
This review is to talk about the resort but i cant help mentioning how i felt so accommodated as a Bride, the staff is focus to ensure you experience the best time and enjoy your once in a lifetime (for some) marriage experience. I could not have picked a better resort to host my wedding and spend days to relax while on vacation
-Food
The food was good if you like gourmet food. I am more of a whole meal type person, finger foods are not my favorite but I do not discredit the resort, these are just my preferences. The food was not my priority since I was getting married, it was more of the resort scenery which is why I chose this resort
-Room Service
The breakfast was good, as you can order as much as you want. After a long day of excursions, i just had to remember to place my breakfast tag outside the door with our order before midnight. If you are not a big fan of gourmet food you can order room service which i did quite often.
-Excursion
We visit the El Dorado Maroma for excursions such as Para sailing, jet skiing, ATV, speed boat and snorkeling. We tried to do so much considering the amount of time we had before we departed for another resort to enjoy our honeymoon.
-Room
Upgraded by the staff to an oceanfront, the view was beautiful. The bed was big and comfy, I loved the room decor. The orange and brown went perfect with my wedding colors (Orange, yellow and white) We were staying on the ground floor so I would walked out on the balcony to see the ocean right in front of my eyes. It was beautiful waking up to this view every morning.
My husband and I had the opportunity to visit the other Iberostar resorts (Lindo and del Mar) which was great. I liked the idea of having access to other resorts in which we ate at the restaurants.
There is also a shopping plaza down the road from the Iberostar Grand, the staff has golf carts to take you anywhere you want to go on the resort grounds.
I really think all inclusive is a great benefit as paying for food is the last thing you want to do while on vacation. I enjoyed retreating back to my resort which was peaceful every night.

Overall, I can see myself coming back to this resort as a 5 or 10 year anniversary treat as this place is beautiful. Pictures came out perfect, I would recommend this resort to anyone is loves the finer things in life. This resort captures luxury along with the getaway feel.

Room Tip: If you are able to book a suite building 7th oceanfront suite was beautiful. I really enjoyed being...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank April-Will F
IberostarMexico, ity manager - Iberostar Mexico. at Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso, responded to this review, 24 February 2012
Dear guest,

First of all, Congratulations again! On behalf of the Management and Staff we would like to thank you for sharing your heart-warming review with other travelers on Trip Advisor. Your words have been inspiring and motivate us to continue working hard to exceed our guests expectations.
We are glad to know, you came back home with such an incredible memories.

Please do not hesitate to visit us for your future Wedding Anniversaries, it would be our absolute pleasure to share those memories with you.

Best Regards,

Valentin Imperial Maya
#1 of 1 in Playa del Secreto
15.5 km away
Paradisus by Melia Playa del Carmen La Perla
Paradisus by Melia Playa del Car...
#24 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
0.3 km away
Iberostar Paraiso Maya
Iberostar Paraiso Maya
#5 of 11 in Playa Paraiso

Been to Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso? Share your experiences!