New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

GreenLeadersGold level
Amherstburg, Ontario
“Best Staff Imaginable....”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2012

We had an ocean front room which was beautiful, quiet and cozy. in the afternoon we could hear a lot of furniture moving overhead which could distract from an afternoon nap. The bed was wonderful as was the swing on the balcony. The TV was very old.

The food at the buffets was OK - pretty well what I expected. The food at the Italian restaurant was very good and the service first rate. We also had a very good steak at Toni's. The Japanese restaurant was average. Service at the buffets and restaurants was excellent and we never waited more than a minute for someone to take care of us. Special thanks to Patterson who worked the buffets and Caesar at the Italian restaurant. We had room service for breakfast a few days and it was good.

If you wanted a beachfront chair you had to get up early to reserve one. I find this ridiculous. Also the chairs were old and many had no padding or very thin padding which I found very uncomfortable. We loved the quiet pool although some of the guests ignored the 'quiet' sign. None of the many hot tubs were working properly which was a huge disappointment. Some of the bottom jets were working but none of the side jets.

I lost a pair of very expensive sunglasses and filled out a report assuming I would never see them again. The next day a staffer found them and they were returned to me - a miracle. This is the kind of service you can expect at this place.

Our concierge and butler - Raul and Alberto - were just wonderful. They made my husband's birthday extra special.

Unfortunately my husband became ill on this trip (nothing to do with his stay at the resort). The staff went out of their way to help my husband get to the clinic, wait there for him, etc.

There are always areas that could be improved, as outlined above, but the staff make this place exceptional. We stayed at Le Blanc last year and while it was very nice we liked it here better. The staff were so genuine, helpful and friendly that you never want to leave.

Any questions feel free to contact me.

Room Tip: An ocean front room is pure heaven
3 Thank nanbik

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,328)
  • Polish first
Rome, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2012

Our travel agent (Todd Russell, Always About Travel, Big Canoe Ga.) recommended the Iberostar to us a couple of years ago for our annual anniversary trip to warmer climates. This was our 1st experience with an all inclusive resort. It turned out to be a GREAT experience. So much so, we returned the following year.

Upon arrival, you are greeted by one of the hotel staff who takes care of obtaining the room keys, loads you luggage onto an electric cart and escorts you to your room. All check in is done by your butler who does this in the comfort of your room. They also ask you what you would like in your room refrigerator, which is replenished daily, and any other special requests. There is also a concierge for the building that will coordinate reservations at the specialty restaurants and any other request you may have.

The Iberostar Grand is an adults only hotel and offers a variety of activities. There is a tranquility pool that looks like the garden of Eden. It is surrounded by covered cabanas and offers a nice quiet place to relax and unwind. There is always some sort of activity going on at the mail pool and there is also a spa, with a heated indoor pool, exercise room and massage facilities. Staying at the Grand entitles you to partake of any of the restaurants or facilities of the other family hotels in the complex.

I would highly recommend this resort to anyone looking to get away from it all and wanting to be waited on hand and foot for the entire time you are there. Everyone we met on the resort staff, from guest services to ground maintenance personnel, were friendly and always greeted you with a smile.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are excellent but we prefer the ocean side rooms. For a little extra, you can get...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Lees46
IberostarMexico, Quality manager - Iberostar Mexico. at Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso, responded to this review, 4 March 2012
Dear Guest:

Thank you so much for choosing our resort as your destination of choice for your Annual Anniversary stay. It was a pleasure to have had you and be able to share in such a special occasion. It is indeed rewarding to see your positive reviews of our services, facilities, activities and staff in general. Please do not hesitate in returning soon as we would be grateful for the opportunity to welcome you again.

Kindest Regards,

Quality manager - Iberostar Mexico.
Brandon, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2012

I have visited the Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso three times in just over 12 months. January 2011, November 2011, and this visit, January 2012. This number of visits does not make me an expert on the resort but has provided me with the opportunity to see the resort over a number of months and make some valued judgements.

I must thank Andrea (aka Actran and Shoediva fame) for provided me with a wealth of information over the last year and a half to take a leap of faith and visit the Grand for the first and succeeding times. It was sure a pleasure to have met Andrea in person (an "Ibero" Rock Star event) on our last day at the resort. She comes across as genuine, friendly and caring as the Grand!!!

My Wife and I began our visit to Mexico this January by staying 10 days at Secrets Maroma Beach ( my review just posted). We had set aside 14 days for this trip to Mexico but when I attempted to book the Grand back in April 2011 the resort was already book full for the week of Janauary 16 to 23, 2011. I had walked down the beach from SMB one day in our first week in Mexico and saw a number of children on the property of the Grand. I asked one of the Star Friends, Augustin why the children were at the Grand, and he said the whole resort was occupied by a family group that reserved all rooms at the Grand. As educators we are always on a tight schedule of vacation time so we looked elsewhere for this period. We finally arrived at the Grand on Janauary 23, 2011 anticipating 4 days of paradise!! We had requested a standard junior suite in or around building 72 ( our favorite for being centrally located not to far from any of the resort amenities). We had booked with Dayna Smith of Sunset Travel Inc. that provided us with not only a great rate but also very friendly service. We also had private airport transfers arranged through Dayna with Olympus. First rate operation.

To our surprise when we arrived a rather large group had arrived the day before our arrival and had virtually taken all of the standard suites in the resort. As the girl at the front desk was checking us in, she asked me to confirm all personal details were accurate on the information card I noted that one of the Ocean front rooms was listed as our room 7137. She went on to tell us that she had bad news and good news. She informed us of the upgrade and occupancy rate that week. It was very high with the group in attendance. I found this rather strange a little while later at the pool. The "bracelets" we're fitted on our wrists and away we went. So many comments have been made regarding the bracelets at Iberostars but I think they are like a badge of honour not something that is a deal breaker. I just remembered I had mine still on a full 7 days after we arrived home to Canada.

We went for lunch at Le Brisa while awaiting our room to be prepared and by 1:30 we were all unpacked and ready for a drink around the pool. It was mid afternoon when usually things are hopping and busy but This afternoon saw a total of about 20 people around the pool all afternoon. I swore Daniel and his gang at the swim up bar were taking turns napping it was so quiet. This was quite a surprise as I had mention the occupancy was so high. What I didn't realize was that the large working group from all over Latin America was working all day from 8:30am to 6:00 pm daily. Sitting I my lounger on the first afternoon and it being so quiet started me thinking that maybe the "magic" of the Grand had begun to wear off. Oh I was so wrong! This was kind of nice as it felt as if we had the whole resort to ourselves as the week wore on. This was one special day. An upgrade and the whole resort virtually to ourselves. As the week wore on though the couples were beginning to arrive and make the after noons busier poolside. A comment on the clientele of the resort: mostly respectful quiet and personal but for a few. On Thursday a group of about 10 couples from the northern US arrived and changed the atmosphere a bit. Throwing footballs across the pool into the swim up bar, yelling at each other across the pool in the late afternoon and one unfortunate sole of the group was trying to show off like one of the pool serving girls with a few too many under his belt and a rather large tray of alcohol drinks stepped on one of the edge pool grates as it broke and messed up his leg pretty bad. The hotel staff were Johnny on the spot attending to his injuries. It sure quieted the crowd though!!

The Grand really was the same as I had imagined and remembered and as the days flew by it was like a pair of of good shoes. The Grand fit perfect!! We had made our dinner reservations prior to leaving Canada ( almost three weeks in advance ) so we knew each night where and when we we eating. I really like the reservation system at the Iberostars. Our stay at SMB was marred by having to wait due to the restaurants being too full. I was happy to be back at the Grand!!

We ate Gourmet, Surf and Turf, and Italian during our four day stay. We chose the American Buffett night on Thursday our last evening. Meals at each of the alacartes was fantastic with a special shout out to Rene for his care and friendship during our meal at Toni's. He is a master at his craft!! The finishing touches he provided to the meal were second to none. Mayan coffee and desert were phenomenal!!

The Grand provides a feel of service second to none no matter who you are. If I didn't know better I thought my name was Antonio!! The staff at the Grand almost read your mind when it comes to service. Just think it and it happens. I just hope in the near future we can experience the pleasure of the Grand again!! It was such a pleasure to have met again Eder, Eduardo, Augustin, Paulina,and all the new StarFriends. They make your stay so much fun, not that you could ever be bored sitting on your lounger in Mexico watching the days fly by. I really enjoy my Tai Chi practice with Eder in the late afternoons although this visit was hampered with my sore back that slowed me down.

Many fond memories of the Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso lasting a lifetime. Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Tim.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank thecometranch
IberostarMexico, Quality manager - Iberostar Mexico at Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso, responded to this review, 4 March 2012
Dear Tim:

Thank you for continuing to give your preference to the Iberostar Grand Paraiso. Your recommendation of our property means a lot to us, especially since you were with us three times in just over 12 months. It therefore means that we continue to uphold the services and attention to detail that we know you appreciate.

We appreciate that you also made special mention of all the staff who made your vacation even more memorable.

We remain at your entire disposal and are looking forward to your return visits!

With warm regards,

Yarmouth, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 February 2012

We stayed at the Iberostar Grand in February 2012. It was by far the nicest resort and best service we have encountered (5th trip to Mexico, 8 trips to Dominician Republic and 3 trips to Cuba). We were on the fence about spending the extra to stay at the Grand compared to the Lindo or Maya. I can tell you it was worth every penney and we will return next year. We met so many great people who are regulars and repeat guests. The staff were amazing and went that extra mile to ensure your vacation was perfect. I can't wait to go back next year. Thanks Iberostar Grand for an amazing dream vacation.

4 Thank Lori H
IberostarMexico, Quality manager - Iberostar Mexico. at Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso, responded to this review, 1 March 2012
Thank you for your generous review about Iberostar Grand Paraiso. We are indeed grateful to have the caliber of staff that we do as they are what make our resort so special. Our personal attention and emphasis in creating perfect vacation memories are just some of the qualities that set us apart. We are always mindful of the fact that there are a myriad of other resorts worldwide which you could have gone to, but the fact that you opted to spend your vacation with us, means we have to ensure that you have an exceptionally grand time. Reviews such as yours are motivating the Iberostar team as it reiterates that we have created one of the best All-Inclusive packages in the world. Please do not hesitate to contact us when planning your next vacation as we would be honored to serve you again.
Newcastle, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2012

This was our 5th holiday at this resort we started with the Del Mar and moved up each time
to the hotel next in the chain
When we first visited this superb complex the Grand was being built and you could tell then
it was something special & promised ourselves we would one day holiday there.
To say the place takes your breath away is an understatement the pools are wonderful
the food first class the rooms immaculate and the staff could not be more attentive if they tried.
Although we think the Lindo is probably the best value the Grand is just outstanding in every way......There are holidays then theres the Grand.
John & Bernie.....England

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank johneo38
IberostarMexico, Quality manager - Iberostar Mexico at Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso, responded to this review, 1 March 2012
Dear Guest,

First of all we would like to thank for being part of Iberostar family!

Allow us to thank you for the privilege of serving you on your recent vacation at our resort. We appreciate that you took the time to remember us on your way home and decided to share your review with other travelers.

It is our pleasure to have provided fine accommodations and offered our usual exceptional service. We look forward to welcoming you again. Should you need any further assistance with your reservations, please do not hesitate to contact our reservations team.

Kindest regards,

Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2012

Our first experience at an Iberostar Adult Only All Inclusive hotel and we were not disappointed. We chose the oceanfront suite and loved it! We received a 3rd story suite, where we enjoyed the crashing waves of the sea each night. Included with suite was a butler (Alberto) and dedicated concierge (Melissa). They really made our trip quite special.

Our first visit to the Caribbean Sea side of Mexico and we loved the Grand white beach and turquoise blue sea. The Grand always had beach front chaise lounge chairs available. Staff very attentive with drinks, sun lotion, magazines.

Restaurants all took great care of us. We lunched on the sea, breakfasted by the pool and each night dined at either the Surf and Turf, Italian, Japanese and Gourmet.

Exceptional weather, plus very attentive and warm staff made for a wonderful winter break for a couple that our parents the other 51 weeks of the year!

Thank you Iberostar Grand!

Room Tip: If you can afford the upgrade, go for the oceanfront and all your worries will be over!
3 Thank makarska1997
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your generous review about your visit to Iberostar Grand Paraiso. We appreciate the fact that you decided to give us the opportunity to show you our usual warmth and hospitality. We thank you for mentioning two of our staff members Alberto and Melissa. and will make sure to share your kind comments with all our team.

We are delihted to hear that you enjoyed your holidays. It was an honor to have had the pleasure to help creating such goo memories about your vacation.

We look forward to your return visit!

Best Regards,

Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2012

My wife and I enjoyed our 20th anniversary at the Grand and it was great. I am going to repeat a lot of what people have already posted but with my own observations. First, it is fantastic to arrive and check into the hotel in your room. What a plus after a day of travel and the pain of going thru customs....which on Saturaday is a real mess. Based on other reviews which people stated that if there is a particual beverage you enjoy, ask for it and they will stock your room. I am not much of a liquer drinking but like red wine. They brought a bottle of red wine to the room that night as we were having dinner. As we started to standardise on a particular bottle of red wine at dinner, the wine that was delivered dailey to your room reflected what we were enjoying in the restaurants. The service was spectacular. We were at the lunch buffet on day and our waiter asked if we needed anything else...we were just sharing a plate as an appetizer and he noticed what we eating and went back to the buffet for us and filled the plate with exactly what we had previously served ourselves. This happened only the one time but wow, and at a buffet! The grounds, service, food, drinks, beach...alll were great. The place, although we were told was around 90% full, felt like 30%. It is pretty spread out and the staff to guest ratio must be very high indeed. A lot of reviews state that the Gourmet and Italian restaurants are not good. We found them very good with the Lobster Thermador at the Gourmet and Lamb at the Italian being exceptional. The other restaurants were also exceptional. Grilled Lobster at lunch was also a great plus...every day. We had a beachfront room and as other reviewers have written, if you can afford the extra, it is really nice. The beach, especially to the south, is very nice and long. We walked down the beach a few miles a couple of times and never felt that we were in any danger. Another nice thing about the Grand is that it sits just to the south of 4 other Iberostar properties that you can enjoy but they are not allowed at the Grand. We took advantage of the lazy river at the Maya and bars/ appetizers thoughout the resort. We like to walk quite a bit and although it is nice to have the golf carts to shuttle you, we did not take advantage of them much. One time we did was when my wife purchased some jewelry a couple Iberostar resorts down and not having my wallet (you know, a problem at an all inclusive resort...only brought tip money), I had to go back to the room to get some cash. It took me 20 minutes to get to our room...yes, the entire Iberostar complex is huge. I called the butler and they immediately brought a golf cart and shuttled me back. In closing, this resort was very nice and relaxing, it went right to the top of places we have been. I know Iberostar reads these reviews so there are a couple small, picky things I would like to note. Upon reading the reviews online, we made our dinner reservations for the entire week as soon as we got there. The earliest we could get for our reservations was between 8:30-9am. Now I typically like to eat early and go to sleep pretty early. This however was a blessing as we enjoyed a few of the shows that start at 10am that we would have missed otherwise. I do find it odd that even a week out we could not have made a reservation for an earlier time. One good thing is if you are hungry, you can always go to the buffett and grab some large shrimp and crab claws, bring them back to your room to enjoy with wine, and is a great way to tie you over till dinner. The other comment I would have is that when you have such a memorable vacation, it would be nice to come back with keepsakes. They do have an Iberostar store in the shopping area but they did not have anything we were interested.in. The Grand brands so many things, from towels to menus, to stationary...etc... it would have been nice to have been able to purchase some nicely branded items. I especially liked the ceramic tea candle lamps that they lit each night in our room during turn down service. If that is all I can possibly complain about, it should show what a nice trip this was.

14 Thank drmul
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind review. It was a pleasure to hear first hand from you what your impressions of our resort were on your recent visit. We thank you as well, for remembering the good service from the staff.

Your positive review, will certainly help to inform other future guests who are considering our resort. It is our aim to provide a relaxing, enjoyable atmosphere and your review shows that we are on the right path.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back in the near future, and hope that you will not hesitate to book and spend your well deserved vacation at our Iberostar Grand Paraiso again, your home away from home.

Best Regards,

Quality manager - Iberostar Mexico.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa Paraiso
#4 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,537 reviews
16.8 km away
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Pe...
#19 of 213 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 7,365 reviews

Been to Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso? Share your experiences!