“Nice Experience” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersGold level
DALLAS
“Nice Experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2012

The Iberostar Grand is a lovely all inclusive hotel. It is top notch...service, food, pillow service etc. The food down at the beach restaurant got a little boring day after day as it didn't change, but the good news was we could go and eat at any of the other Iberostar properties...which i have stayed at the Lindo and Del Mar as well. The Grand is definitely a step up (and they charge you for it) The beach area is a bit too rocky on one side and sometimes had to beg (tip) to get them to bring us drinks at the beach...I can't give it a 5 star, but am ok with 4 1/2 stars. Have been to other "all inclusive" resorts in Playa that I would give the 5 stars too!

Room Tip: you want to stay in one of the 2 buildings on the beach. the honeymoon suites are fabulous, but I c...
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank FRANCE214EVA
IberostarMexico, Quality manager - Iberostar Mexico at Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso, responded to this review, 11 March 2012
Dear Guest:

It was our pleasure to have hosted you on your recent vacation. We appreciate that you took the time to provide a review of your trip. Your kind compliments about our service, food, pillow service, etc… were also noted.

We have also aptly noted the issue that came up during your stay; your experience in being served. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenienceyou esperienced and assure you that we have already taken action for improvment.

It was however a pleasure to learn that despite the negative that you highlighted, you were able to have an enjoyable stay.
We look forward to hosting you again in the near future, and restore all your confidence in our hotel.

Warm Regards,

Quality manager - Iberostar Mexico

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,359)
  • Polish first
Kamloops, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2012

My husband and I travelled here a few months ago and had a blast. We had been traveling for a while and wanted a place to chill and relax and have no worries during the day other than what we were going to eat, drink and nap...with a swim here and there. This is exactly what we needed. The best Iberostar I've been too. Top brand alcohol, great food and friendly staff made this a fantastic and relaxing trip.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Digit70
Dear Guest:

Thank you for choosing our property for your recent relax & chill vacation. Your kind words are greatly appreciated. We trust that you will return soon and perhaps consider an even longer stay with us.

We look forward to welcoming you again.

Oakville, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2012

We stayed at the Grand Feb 19-26, 2012. We travelled with another couple and had a fantastic time. When we arrived we were upgraded to the villas - much to our surprise. The vacation just got better from there. We loved the resort and the service was top-notch!
The first downside we found was the breakfast and lunch buffets got to be boring throughout the week as the same food was served over and over again.
The second downside was that we tried to book in for the a la carte dinners on the first night and were told they were fully booked. Finally after much complaining we were given a reservation in the Maya seafood restaurant. We were told we had our choice of 6pm of 9pm. We took 6 as 9 is a bit late for dinner and when we got there the restaurant was completely empty. Fully booked - I don't think so. After leaving there we headed to the concierge desk to complain and proceeded to rebook the rest of our dinner reservations. I don't understand how they can say the restaurants are fully booked as every night we were in the restaurants they were barely 25% full.
Aside from that technical difficulty we had a fantastic time. We would highly recommend the Grand to our friends and family. We are even considering trying the other Iberostar Grand in Jamaica.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Cathy A
Dear Guest,

I am very happy to note that you enjoyed your stay among us. Please be assured that I have shared your feedback with the rest of the team who were very proud to hear your compliments.

Furthermore, we all took your suggestions as a learning tool and will keep working to always improve our services and exceed our guest expectations.

We look forward to welcoming you back again the future. Please let us know if we can be of any assistance when you plan your next stay.

Warmest regards,

winnipeg
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2012

I had gotten married here last year. I literally can't imagine it being any better. Top shelf liquor, great food, amazing staff, super clean, great rooms, good location, the grand has it all.
I didn't have one nit pick on my entire trip. We were treated like royalty here. To be honest I took $600 tipping money and used it up in no time. I just felt that everyone was doing such a good job, that they genuinely deserved it.

We are planning to come back in 2 years as we like to try out different places but out of the 15 resorts we've been to, this one so far, FAR exceeds anywhere else we've been.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
6 Thank TheGovernment
IberostarMexico, Quality manager - Iberostar Mexico at Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso, responded to this review, 9 March 2012
Dear Guest:

Thank you for your kind review and for pointing out our staff, clean rooms, restaurants and selection of liquors. We are grateful to read each review as it allows to evaluate our services and determine whether we are meeting your expectations.

We are committed to provide a high quality of service and a relaxing atmosphere.

We also sincerely thank you for also contemplating our property as your destination of choice in the future.

We look forward to your next visits!

Best Regards,

SylvanLake,Alberta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2012

We started our trip at the iberostar maya and upgraded to the grand for the last week of our trip, the maya was excellent but the grand was over the top. We were in building 73 which is close to the indoor pool and a short walk to the main pool. It is fairly quiet and laid back compared to the maya most likely because it`s an adults only hotel. The whole resort is spotless and I thought the food was great.The cook that made the caeser salad at the lunch buffet really stood out for us. The buffets had alot of choices and the specialty restaurants were for the most part were good, I didn`t feel the japanese restaurant had any atmosphere (usually the cook will try and entertain you with his cooking skills). The group we were travelling with thought the seafood was great. We didn`t see to many shows as they started at 10 pm.The waitresses around the pool are always checking on you to make to see if you need something. I thought the beds were very comfortable and the stocked mini fridge was nice after a hot day in the sun.The internet in your room was handy and they also have computers up in the library. We have stayed at quite a few iberostar resorts and they haven`t let us down yet

Room Tip: If you are travelling with some one with limited mobilty,access to elevators is quite easy and they...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank AlbertaSnowball
Dear Guest:

We appreciate that you took the time to provide a review of your trip. We would like to thank you very much for your kind compliments which are encouraging us to keep working hard.

The Grand makes the difference and we are grateful to know you notice that.

We look forward to welcoming you again in the near future.

Best Regards,

Indianapolis
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2012

The views, the rooms, the pools, the beach-all wonderful! I felt as though the food though could use some help-no fresh fish, or authentic mexican...very disappointing at a resort of this quality!

Room Tip: Ask for a pool/beach view!
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
4 Thank gess2
South Dakota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2012

We stayed here Feb 21-27, 2012 and loved everything! We stayed at the Iberostar Grand Rose Hall last year in Jamaica and loved that too but this place is bigger and I like the set up better.
Resort and rooms: The resort was very clean and very impressive. Everything is large and grand! You are in Mexico but the resort is built with an Italian theme. The rooms were clean and spacious. We stayed in building 74 and had a view of the jungle. I didn't especially care for this but I didn't want to switch and we were hardly in our room anyway. It is $80 to $120 more to stay in the ocean front rooms (building 70 and 71). If we stay next time, I might ask for a free upgrade. I would have liked to be in building 72 or closer to the tranquility pool in building 74. Building 72 and 73 have a view of the other hotels and the indoor pool. I slept great on these wonderful beds. There is an assortment of pillows to choose from too. They keep the bar fully stocked in your room.
Pools: The main pool is the biggest I have seen! It takes quite an effort to swim the full length without resting. There are 4 large hot tubs surrounding the pool and sometimes they aren't very warn and other times they are so hot it takes awhile to get used to it. We loved playing pool volleyball at 4:00 and then having drinks and getting to know people in the hot tubs. If you don't go with any other couples and want to meet people, this is the way to do it!
I really liked the tranquility pool with the two large hot tubs on either end of it. This is a nice place if you want to sleep and really get away from activity as they do not play loud music or have any noisy activities.
There is a large indoor pool with two hot tubs that we enjoyed in the late afternoon. The exercise room is right off of this pool and the spa area is here too.
Staff: The Star Friends are very friendly and make a point of talking to you and remember your name. We played volleyball and participated in a lot of activities so we were around them a lot. They are amazing kids! Augustine and Eger were especially friendly and I miss them! Waiters and waitresses were great as well and our concierge and butlers! We noticed there were less staff on Saturday and Sunday but there were fewer guests around too. We had to get up and get our own drinks frequently on these days but that was fine because I needed to get my lazy butt up and do something!
Beach: The beach in front of the Grand was large and spacious. There are rocks in the ocean in front of the 71 building. The number 70 building had more activities going on during the day, like volleyball.
Food: I had the best steaks at the Gourmet restaurant! The seasoning was perfect and they were so tender! We ate at the Surf and Turf and I had a great steak here too. I called ahead and made reservations at a restaurant the first night. It was nice to have a sit down meal the first night there. We also ate at the Italian restaurant and I would highly recommend the Minestrone soup! My husband and I ordered off the menu at lunch and loved the chicken and steak fajitas! The buffets had a lot to choose from. Somethings weren't so good but I always found something I liked. You have to try the guacamole and chips! I had it with every noon meal! One day they grilled up by the main buffet and I heard the lobster tails were wonderful! We enjoyed the Mexican buffet and the Mariachi band on Sunday night!
Entertainment: The Rock show was very good. I also enjoyed the Mexican night. I didn't care for the Mayan culture night though. It was kind of boring. We didn't go to any other shows.
Excursion: We did the Extreme Mayan Adventure tour which included zip lining, cenote jumping and 4 wheeling. The zip lining was lame. Jumping into the cenote was awesome. The 4 wheel trip was rough and dirty. I had a great time though. The staff was exceptional on the trip! Very genuine!
I have one complaint. The computer keyboards were messed up! On one of them, the Y and V were mixed up. It was next to impossible to find the @ symbol! I guess you need to push alt 64. Pay the extra money to AT&T and get e-mail on your smart phone!
I would definitely come back to this resort! I can't express what a wonderful trip this was!

Room Tip: Building 70 and 71 are oceanfront but cost $80 to $120 more. Building 72 has a view of the tranquil...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
8 Thank kctherat
IberostarMexico, Quality manager - Iberostar Mexico at Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso, responded to this review, 1 March 2012
Dear Guest:

Thank you for your detailed review which you have shared with other travelers on this site. We appreciate that you took the time to generously comment the Restaurants, and rate your food choices. We are also pleased to learn that you had enjoyable excursions and had been satisfied with our service, staff, nightly live entertainment and daily activities.

Please do not hesitate to return, we look forward to welcoming you again in the near future.

With warm regards,

#4 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,605 reviews
16.8 km away
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Pe...
#19 of 213 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 7,588 reviews

Been to Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso? Share your experiences!