“Still pretty great...”

GreenLeadersGold level
Nova Scotia
“Still pretty great...”
Reviewed 9 April 2012

This was our 2nd visit to the Grand. We first visited a few years ago and loved the place then, and still do.The buildings and grounds are quite spectacular! The things we liked most was the property and service. The place really is beautiful. I wouldn't be able to guess how much such opulence cost, but the level of high end finishing is staggering.
We stayed in an oceanfront room and loved being right on the ocean with a beautiful view from our balcony. The room was very comfortable, although a little too warm for me at their lowest automatic setting for air conditioning. On our way to dinner that night I stopped at the concierge and asked if they could lower the A/C setting and she asked how low i wanted it. It was adjusted by the time we returned from dinner, no problem.
Speaking of dinner... I thought the food was ok. They try so hard with presentation (white gloves, ladling soup out of a bigger bowls table-side, food/sauce smears, etc.) and not enough on the flavour side of the equation. The food is better than most for an all inclusive but i get tired of the blandness quickly. If they read these reviews and want to cater to serious foodies the management might consider adding an independent restaurant for a marginal add'l fee, similar to what goes on in cruise ships nowadays. I know there are very good restaurants in Playa del carmen so it is possible. This concept must be popular since our cruising experience is most nights the extra charge cruise ship restaurants are full.
They already do this sort of thing with wine. You can purchase a better wine or stick with the included wines which are ok. Although I find the mark up on add'l cost wine crazy! Unless the included stuff costs them $5/bottle how come their cheaper extra $ wines Start around 900 peso($75 CDN)? On my previous visit i reviewed that the red wines were served warm and on this trip i happily noticed they now offer red wine slightly chilled or if you prefer, at room temperature, which in Mexico is too warm for me. Red wine is meant to be served around 65 degrees F.
We really enjoyed our stay and the Grand is one of our favourites in Riviera Maya. The only current competition in the all-inclusive category might be Secrets Maroma. In my opinion the food was better at Secrets but the Grand was better in most other categories.
Happy Travels!

8 Thank steve247
IberostarMexico, Quality manager - Iberostar Mexico at Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso, responded to this review, 14 April 2012
Dear Guests,

First and foremost, thank you for taking the time to communicate to us your comments about your second experience at Grand Paraiso and we also appreciate your kind words and suggestions, we are going to share them with our managers.
We are glad to know you had wonderful vacations and we look forward to welcome you in a future.

Warm regards,

Quality manager - Iberostar Mexico

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,462)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Leuven, Belgium
Reviewed 9 April 2012

This was my 6th solo visit to this wonderful resort. Have stayed previously in Secrets Maroma, Secrets Capri, Iberostar Grand Bavaro (3 x), Iberostar Grand Rose Hall.
This time I stayed between March 9th till 24th.
During this period the weather was warm and sunny and the resort was 60% occupied.

Room

The oceanfront rooms look the same as the standard or ocean view rooms but the view is awesome. Very useful in the room is the separate door that you can close between the hall and the entrance door so that you can sleep without any noise.

Room has all standard needs including a safe, separate shower, a bubble bath, a large balcony with a swing and table and sofa.

The food is probably the best you can get at an AI resort, from breakfast till dinner there are lots of choices. For breakfast you can choose from the large buffet or order something from the cart. For lunch you can opt for the buffet or pick something from the carte. In case you do not want to eat in the restaurant there are also options to eat something of the food that they prepare at the patio of the restaurant. This varies from lobster, beef, cesar salad, … For dinner you can go to the buffet or to one of the 4 a la carte restaurants. Note that the a la carte restaurants require upfront reservation.

Off course you can also opt for 24h room service.

Drinks are very good and are served with premium brands, in case you want a specific brand just say it and they will get it for you.

Beach

The beach looks quite nice, it is not the best beach in the area due to the rocks and the heavy waves. So beware if you want to swim a lot in the ocean the red flag will be out there almost every day. During my 2 weeks time, the green flag was only out for 2 days.

There are a lot of loungers on the beach to use and also some beds for your use. Do note that the front row gets taken quite early, if you are not out by 7am you will need to be happy with the 2nd row.

Pool

The large pool contains salt water and has a nice view on the ocean, the temperature of the pool was quite refreshing even in the morning you could easily take a swim. Around the large pool there are 4 bubble baths but not all of these bubble baths are working properly. During my stay only 2 bubble baths were hot. Around the pool you have loungers that are standing in the water or around the pool, also a decent amount of loungers are placed under a 'tent' for shade.
In the quite area you have a smaller pool with 2 bubble baths that were both working also here are lots of loungers.
In the spa building you also have a pool with 2 bubble baths, here only 1 was working. As part of the pool you have different water massage buttons at the side but some of these stopped working during previous visits and are still broken.

GREAT. The butlers (Victor and Rene) are always asking if you need something or that they can assist you in whatever way. Service in the restaurant and the bar is also quite good. Need to say that it happened once during lunch that I was sitting at a table and did not see a waiter for 20 minutes so there is still room for improvement.

Must admit that you see a difference in the butler service when you are staying in the ocean front part vs the standard or ocean view part. In the ocean front part this service is consistent, there when you stay in the other parts it happens that you only see the butler on your first day and then he disappears during your stay.

Improvements

There I find this place very great there are still some things that could make the stay better.
- Try to make a change in the dinner menus. Currently the menus are the same since the hotel has opened in 2007 event the other Grands in Jamaica and Dominican Republic are using these same menus.
- Add WIFI access in the rooms and the pool areas. Currently the WIFI is only available in the lobby area. The wired access is a bit outdated in the rooms there today mobile devices are using only WIFI.
- Noticed that especially the balconies on the oceanfront rooms are suffering from weather or age damage and can use some repairing to restore them to their original condition.
- Replace the old fashion TV with flat screens.

To conclude, I had a really nice time and look forward to my next visit.

Room Tip: All rooms look the same, if you can affort it go for the oceanfront as the view is incredible. High...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
11 Thank MyHolidayTime
Dear Guest,

First of all we thank you for your loyalty, and we appreciate your reviews about your recent stay with us. Your comments are very encouraging as we are intent on being the leading hotel in the Caribbean, with the promise of exceptional customer service to our guests.

We strive to do so through the genuine warmth, professionalism of our staff, and highly personalized service so it is always rewarding to know the suggestions and comments from our guests which help us to be stronger and better and also help to guide us in knowing what areas we need to improve.

We look forward to welcoming you again soon, we will do our best to make your stay a memorable one.

Warmest Regards,

Orford, Canada
Reviewed 8 April 2012

Such a beautiful resort! The service was perfect, we were told few times by the employees "Welcome home" and trust me it was. The food was excellent at the buffet and perfect in the "a la carte" restaurants. The rooms were beautiful and spacious. So far, this is the best resort we've stayed in.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MelissaF2012
Dear guest,

Thank you for your gentle comments, as you can appreciate we take very seriously our faithful guests and make them feel at home. Now we will make our best to overreach your past experience and enhance them.
We do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you again in the very near future.

Winnipeg
Reviewed 4 April 2012

Happy again !
(our family will travel an average of 3 trips a year and so for about 20 years in a row)
We stayed January 23-30th/2012
It was our second time at the Grand Hotel Iberostar.
I usually don’t want to go back in the same hotel when I travel international. I like to explore… We were welcome with such a surprise and pleasant attitude. The majority of the staff remembered us from last year. They are so happy when you come back. They give you all kind of little gifts. It makes us feel very welcome.
The concierge staffs were very professional. Thanks for all the team for the super bubble rose petal bath and champagne after my husband dinner birthday. Room very clean all the time. Bar replenished with our special request every day. Pillow menu available which solve my sleeping problem the following night.
The pools were comfortable temperature. I usually don’t swim and I did this year.
The restaurants were very good. But this year I was very disappointed with the beach front. We went for lunch and believe it or not nobody came to serve us. It was so unusual for this hotel. I really did not like that restaurant this year. Last year we had lunch there every day and I ate lobster every single lunch but this year was another story. Anyway it was not a big deal because we love the other one. We tried 2 sister properties from Iberostar restaurant, hoping it will be the same but it is absolutely not. You pay more at the Grand and you really get way more quality food, drinks and a really high professional service. It does not compare at all.
Shopping is now so easy. I must tell you about this gentleman at the beach, right in front of the Hotel. He sells jewelry. His name is Abel, like in the Bible. He was such a polite and great Mexican. His English was so good. I bought a lot of pieces of silver (12) from him. Tell him hello from the French woman and tell him to give you a good deal and he will. Those are the people you want to help and buy from. By the way, every silver is real and still look good.

Anyway, if your budget is in this category: go for it! I highly recommend this resort we went twice and we will go again. I don’t understand people who complaints in a hotel like this one.

You are welcome to contact me if you want to know more. I could write so much but if you are like me when the reviews are long ,

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
8 Thank LOOKJOHN316
IberostarMexico, Quality manager - Iberostar Mexico at Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso, responded to this review, 13 April 2012
Dear Guest:

Thank you for sharing your review on this website. We are thrilled to know your second time it has been even better than the first. That is a good sign we are doing things well. Your endorsement of our property will go a far way in motivating our Management and Staff, who are dedicated to ensuring that we exceed your expectations.

We regret and we are really concerned about your experience at the beach front Restaurant. The lobster is still at the menu and we have a variety of food every day. As responsible we are disappointed to hear this. We would have loved to hear from you while in-house and see what we could do for you to get what you deserve.

We hope that when planning your next vacation get-away, you will have no hesitation in giving us the honor to serve you and restore all your confidence in Iberostar.

Warm Regards,

Rochester, Michigan
Reviewed 2 April 2012

My wife and her best friend had gone to this place in February 2011 and they wanted to go back. This time the best friends sister and myself came along as the wife and I celebrated an anniversary. From the moment we arrived, they congratulated us on our anniversary and repeat business, we were surprised and appreciated the upgrade to an oceanview room in Building 74 top floor, overlooking the tranquility pool. But it got better, out butler brought champagne before dinner, and when we came back the first night, they had laid rose petals in the room and drawn a bubble bath for us. All of this was not requested, but made for an amazing start to the experience. I will not ramble about the amenties and food, they were all top notch, I did not have a bad meal. Toni's Surf and Turf was my favorite, the Italian was amazing and the Japanese Habachi was very good as well. Be sure to book your dinners upon arrival as the slots fill up fast. The staff was amazing and friendly in every corner of the property. I was surprised at how many of the staff remembered my wife from the previous year. Also for the divers reading this, the Dressel Drivers staff is top notch. I did my pool check and then dove three times during my stay. They did an awesome job and the dives were all different and wonderful. Next trip I want to go to the Cozumel trip for the day. Also, don't be afraid to take a taxi to Playa Del Carmen. It is $25 each way for a taxi, or $5 per person for the bus on a schedule, taxi is much better. Bottom line, amazing experience, didn't stay long enough and can't wait to go again. Many many thanks to the staff of the Grand...until next time....

Room Tip: We were in Building 74 overlooking the quiet pool and it was delightful, having spent a lot of time...
11 Thank Michael C
Dear Guest:

Thank you for your delightful review. We are proud of our team of hardworking and friendly staff, who continue to help us reach our goal of being resort of choice in the Caribbean. Your review shows that we are on the right path to achieve this goal. Your kind words about the food will also encourage the culinary team. We remind you that we are here to serve you and look forward to welcoming you again.

Ontario
Reviewed 2 April 2012

Our 2nd visit to the Grand and loved it! We booked an oceanfront room (highly recommend it--worth the extra cash) and were given the corner suite, top floor of Bldg #70--it was fabulous with an outdoor jacuzzi. Upon our arrival, the butler noted that my birthday was coming up; on my birthday after dinner, we returned to the room to find a bottle of champagne on ice . A very nice surprise.

We particularly enjoyed the Gourmet restaurant. The outdoor grill at lunch served up fantastic lobster. We spent all our time at the beach and had no difficulty finding palapas. Word of caution--the ocean though beautiful can be very treacherous--while we were there, the lifeguards had to rescue a number of people from the surf (even though the red flags were up).

The service at the Grand was as attentive as ever. All of the staff were friendly and efficient. That being said--honourable mention to "Perfecto", the bartender at the lobby bar. His drinks were like his name "perfecto" as were his manner and service. Iberostar should be proud to have such an ambassador!!.

Once you have been to the Grand, it is impossible to go anywhere else. We'll be back!!!!

9 Thank Ontariocanadians
Dear Guest:

Thank you for kind review of your recent stay at the Iberostar Grand Paraiso. It was our pleasure to learn that you had an enjoyable vacation for second time and that you enjoyed your Birthday and the warm of our staff. We are proud of employees like Perfecto who exemplify the quality of personal service which we strive to offer. We have no doubt that your words will be motivating not just him but all of them.

We trust that as you reminisce on your visit you will remember us fondly as being your Mexican Family and not hesitate to make plans to visit with us again. It would be our pleasure to serve you again.

Warmest,

Boston
Reviewed 1 April 2012

This was my sixth visit to the grande and it still feels like a piece of heaven..Since my last visit I went to the Grande in Jamacia, Serects Maroma and Excellence Cancun...All were nice and in the same price range, however none compared to the food and service of the Grand Paraiso...I have decided to just keep coming back...The employees are so kind and will do whatever it takes to make your stay enjoyable!! Go for the oceanfront room..It will take your breathe away..Usually visit with my family but this time went with my cousin.. Only stayed three nights, bit of a tease but will return in may for longer.

Room Tip: oceanfront building 70
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
8 Thank AddictedToTravel01
Dear Guest:

Thank you for your delightful review. We are thrilled to have heard about the fantastic vacation you recently enjoyed with us here at the Iberostar Grand Paraiso and it is even more important when is from a repeat guest, because that it means we really are in the right path. Your specific mention of our food, service and staff is also deeply appreciated.

We are proud of the hard work and dedication that our team continues to display, but hearing from you reminds us how fortunate we are to have them. If you need any assistance for your reservations in May please let us know via email and we will assure we have everything ready for your stay with us at the Iberostar Grand Paraiso!

Best Regards,

Valentin Imperial Maya
#1 of 1 in Playa del Secreto
15.5 km away
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Pe...
#22 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
0.3 km away
Iberostar Paraiso Maya
Iberostar Paraiso Maya
#4 of 11 in Playa Paraiso

Been to Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso? Share your experiences!