All reviews crocodile meat one night swamp sunrise villa life cuc
Reviewed February 10, 2018

It was an amazing experience to eat lunch at a restaurant located in the middle of tropical forest and swamps. The menu, however, was not very rich and the prices were very high. However, you do not have the opportunity to try crocodile meat and drink rum with coconut milk straight from the fresh coconut.

Date of stay: November 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed October 28, 2017

I wrote this review in my diary while we were in Villa Guama last year, so is accurate for that time. Important fact as it was clear the hotel was starting to receive the major overhaul it was crying out for.

When we visited there were few other customers, so we received great attention. The staff couldn't do enough.

The hotel has 40+ bungalows on stilts with thatched roofs in varying states of repair. There are around 6 main islands which are linked by wooden footbridges and walkways, also in variable state of repair. Health and Safety aware people perhaps ought to give it a wide birth, but the scenery and surroundings are fantastic. The hotel was built in 1972 and some areas looked if they hadn't been touched since then!

The aerial photos of the hotel are old. There is no longer a swimming pool (or there wasn't when we were there). It was even difficult to work out where it was.

Restaurant was quiet when we were there, the food was fine but nothing special. There is no option.....

There were lots of mossi's in the evening, so cover up....

The boat trip to the hotel was about 8km ws good, but amazed you had to pay for it, given it was the only way to get there. 7 CUC return. The other thing was that the boat goes when they want, not when you want. They seemed to want to double up with getting staff there at shift changes. The boat is not operated by the hotel, so I expect that is the issue.

The Indian village is an interesting walk, not sure I would recommend a special trip out to see it, but is was over a few rickety bridges and boardwalks from the hotel. There was a nice little bar serving some lovely speciality cocktails (served in coconuts). I think the cocktail was called 'Soures' or similar, which we had several of. Tricky considering the walk back to our bungalow.

We can definitely recommend the dawn boat trip. Just in a row boat, silence as the lagoons come to life as the sun rises colours fantastic. Loads of birdlife. Cost was 5 CUC each. Bargain of the trip. Only drawback is you have to get up early! No avoiding that bit for the sunrise.

I really hope this hotel gets a good overhaul. The location is fantastic, but sadly when we were there, could only be stars. But with a bit of investment, could be 5 stars. Even in its state during our visit, I would recommend (for one night!)

Date of stay: November 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed March 28, 2017

This was a total contrast to the hectic pace of Havana with which we'd started our trip - from the moment you arrive a the shore of the Laguna and discover that your hotel is actually an 8km speedboat ride away in the centre of the lake, to arriving at the scattering of small huts and array of wooden walkways connecting them, surrounded by beautiful nature and birds and utter peace; spectacular sunset across the lake and sunrise, and such a clear star-filled sky at night.
The huts were simple, but had all the comforts we needed for this escape - nice beds, modern bathroom and toilet, clean, and it was sealed, so there weren't any problems with bugs or mosquitoes inside the hut (which had been a concern of ours after reading other reviews).
The staff were really friendly and helpful, and it was quite charming to have our luggage delivered by rowboat direct to our hut.
We travelled through Cuba with our 2 year old son, and he had a great time exploring the wilderness. We enjoyed our stay so much that we even extended it for an additional night, and would certainly return here again.

Date of stay: March 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed May 16, 2016

One thing is undisputed - the views and the surroundings. Exceptionally romantic and beautiful and a welcome respite. Close to great snorkelling at bay of pigs, if you have a car - cueva de los peces is incredible and is not far. Arguably a taxy would take you. So many fish, though further down to Trinidad coral reefs are bigger and beaches are less populated. The concentration of fish to see at the Cueva is astounding! The restaurant serves fantastic mojitos at the standard prices across Cuba. Food is good, though if you have paid for breakfast and dinner, choice is limited. Quality is high though. The only let down for the hotel is the hygiene, which is at a low level. The pool not working and you only being able to be transported to the mainland by boat. Great in the morning, but in the afternoon, if you do not take the boat by 3.30pm, you pay 12CUC, which is over double the standard one way price and is extortionate for Cuba. We paid the same amount for a 40 mins drive to Havana airport through traffic. It is limiting if you want to do a day trip, visit a beach etc. We also considered it unreasonable, given it was quite an expensive hotel for Cuba. They should have a boat every hour or even only one after 3.30pm, say at 6pm. However, if you are happy to chill for a day or two in beautiful, tranquil surroundings, then do.

Date of stay: April 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Fleur B
Reviewed April 21, 2016 via mobile

So, be PREPARED! I absolutely LOVED Villa Guama, but I realize I might be in the minority! Yes, it's rustic, and yes, the bungalows need some refurbishment, BUT, overall, it IS an utterly charming place. We were on a Kayak trip, and we stopped here for one night, after taking a boat over from Boca de Guama after exploring the Crocodile farm, ***shudders*** which I could have done without, since the creatures freak me out, but it was interesting nevertheless. Anyway, it's a charming place, crisscrossed by a network of bridges over Islands.

Unfortunately, while we were there, the main bridge that leads from where our bungalows were to the restaurant was out of service, so we had to crisscross the Lagoon via boat. It was like being in Venice, whilst in Cuba. I found it to be a neat experience boarding a boat to go to dinner, but many on our group were less than thrilled with the rustic nature and character of the place. I ABSOLUTELY loved it, I was in Bungalow #1, which sits kind of by itself, out near the entrance to the Lagoon. My bungalow had AC that worked, and after the technical clean up of my bathroom floor from a large flood of water, my bungalow was perfectly habitable.

It IS rustic, it's NOT fancy, there are bugs, and it is REMOTE. But, if you give it a chance, the staff are INCREDIBLY sweet & friendly, the food at the restaurant IS basic, but GOOD, and the Sunsets and Sunrises there are JUST INCREDIBLE! Can't speak for the pool area, as we were there just one night, BUT, I do plan on returning. This place requires better infrastructure to support it, but what an AMAZING PLACE!

Give it a shot, if you are adventurous, you will REALLY find A LOT to like about this place. If you want a four star resort, you'll ABSOLUTELY HATE this place! That's the kind of experience this place is.

Date of stay: April 2016