“Truly a dream vacation!”
Review of Ashford Castle

Ranked #2 of 15 things to do in Cong
Reviewed April 4, 2018

Ashford Castle is so incredibly beautiful, and the service is downright amazing! Everyone on site treats the guests like royalty. We had a wonderful time, and we'd go back in a heartbeat! Don't miss the activities - hawk walks, horseback riding, archery, lake cruising - they're all terrific! Oh, and be sure to treat yourself to afternoon tea - those fresh baked scones are heavenly!

All reviews
in 7 reviews
"high tea"
in 10 reviews

Reviewed April 4, 2018 via mobile

I was staying at The Lodge(rated it 5/5) on the grounds of Ashford Castle and we decided I do afternoon tea at The Castle.

The afternoon tea itself was excellent and staff were very good. After we finished our tea we asked our server if we could go to the bar for a drink and they said we could.
We asked the concierge directions to the bar and he said he'd have to ring them to see if they could take us! He rang and informed us it was too busy (Tuesday afternoon at 3:30) so we couldn't go. I informed him our server had told us we could go for a drink and that we were staying at The Lodge but he said that didn't matter. It was raining outside and we weren't offered a lift back to the lodge.

We had also phoned to see if we could move our booking from 13:30 to a later time but were told it was completely booked up. There were spare tables beside us for the duration of our lunch...

I feel after spending almost €200 on afternoon tea and being told it was ok to stay for a drink in the bar by Ashford staff we could at least have been dealt with in a less curt manner.

Overall very disappointed with the service we received at The Castle

3  Thank kswano1
Reviewed April 2, 2018

A place of great beauty & so peaceful. Very Luxurious . The rooms are so comfortable. I spent hours enjoying the walks around the wonderful grounds & gardens. We eat dinner in the Dungeon The service was fantastic. The breakfast was an experience not to be missed. The staff are so friendly so very kind. A memorable experience.

1  Thank Rosemary C
Reviewed April 2, 2018

We just stayed at the Castle for four days with my extended family of 14, and we can not say enough about the experience. It's an amazing, unique property (with recent renovations), to be sure. The food, the rooms, the activities...are all 5-star. What makes this place one of the best hotels in the world is the remarkable staff. Every interaction we had with a member of the staff was warm, genuine, and, I guess the best word would be "caring." Every. Single. One. It started when Anna (I believe) checked us in like we were royalty...and continued through to when their excellent (in every way) driver Ray drove us to Galway in his impeccable 7-series BMW to start the journey back home to LA.

When I asked Tristan at the concierge desk if he could get a guitar for me, it was there that evening. He had such a great spirit...if I ran a service industry business, I would work hard to steal him away.

There were so many great little moments (the wolfhounds, the falconry, the smoked manhattan) that made this stay special. But the truly excellent staff of the Castle made this experience magical. You have to experience this place at least once in your life. It's worth it.