“a good hotel, The spa area is top”

Sorell Hotel Sonnental
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Dubendorf
Geneva, Switzerland
“a good hotel, The spa area is top”
Reviewed 23 February 2012

Hello,

This is a good hotel very quiet, the spa area (swimsuit vorbiden).
The wifi is free but very limited in time.
The restaurant is very very expensive and the service not very pleasant.

bonne hotel les chambres sont bien et entretien impeccable. Le centre spa et superbe avec une partie exterieur superbe.
Le restaurant est tres cher et le service pas tres aimable.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank tekal

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Turkish first
Christchurch
Reviewed 14 January 2012

I stayed at the Hotel Sonnental for several nights while visiting a nearby research centre. I think that the Hotel Sonnental was perfect for this purpose. It was about a 15 minute walk to EMPA which is located nearby. The number 12 tram runs direct from the airport to a stop about 100m from the hotel. Therefore, getting from the airport to the Hotel Sonnental is incredibly easy. The same tram can be used to get from the hotel to a nearby rail station to catch trains into Zurich. Alternatively, the rail station is about a 15 minutes walk.

My room was on the second floor overlooking the parking lot located near the front entrance. The room was bright, clean and comfortable. There was a closet to hang my clothes, a desk and the bed. The bed was comfortable. Yes, as other reviewers have noted, the pillows are a bit slim, but I didnt mind. And there were two pillows on the bed so if I wanted a thicker pillow, I could combine them.

The hotel offers free wifi. I had no trouble getting a good signal from the router in the hall using either my laptop or my phone. However, others in my group complained that they had trouble connecting. However, this may have been due to the age of their laptop.

The breakfast buffet has a lot to offer and I was very satisfied with the selection. There options include cereals, rolls with spreads, meats and cheeses as well as beverages. The hotel restaurant also offers meals. I ate there one night and the price was reasonable and the food was good. Alternatively, there is a shop down the street at a petrol station if you would rather self cater. There are no other restaurants immediately near the hotel, but you will find some selection within a 15 minute walk.

The staff were efficient and checkin and checkout were easy.

Overall, I would not hesitate to stay at the Hotel Sonnental again when I visit the area.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
4 Thank mhnstr
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 January 2012

My company booked me into the hotel as it was close to their office. Despite the weather being poor, it was a good choice as I also had to get into Zurich and the location of the station and the fact that it was only two stops to Zurich HB was easy to navigate.

The room is clean and basic. The bed was comfortable and I used both pillows as they were rather fluffy and thin.

As the weather was poor I couldn't run (sleet - too dangerous underfoot) so I used the gym, which really appeared to be an afterthought. Its in the garden in a wooden structure and contains four machines only (step, cross trainer, rowing and cycle). Although there is a cross trainer there is no running machine and there are no resistance machines or weights. Compared to the spa facilities, this was a disappointment.

However, saying this, it wouldn't stop me from staying here again as the hotel serves a purpose when you're on a business trip.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
Lausanne, Switzerland
Reviewed 20 November 2011

Came for business
No car (so I was dependent on the tram)- so so....but doable
The room was basic- bed was hard as a rock and the mattress thin
Not enough blankets in the room and it was cold
bathroom was super basic too
BUT it was clean and for a night...ok....manageable
Would rather spend more and stay elsewhere...
That said....there are two restaurants....one that is 'meat oriented' and the other that is classic- I went to the normal one and ordered a great and affordably priced tartare...
Service was nice as was breakfast.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 August 2011

I stayed here on August 9th 2011 for the second time. Since my first visit the rooms have been renovated and are now sober, clean, if not a little bland. You could tell that budget was an important factor in the renovation as the old wallpaper in the room entrance was simply painted over to clean it up and the garbage bin in the bathroom no longer had a lid so the pedal had become a useless appendage. But both these points are certainly not critical. The rest of the room was spotless. I liked that the floors were wooden and the bathroom was tiled. Sometimes carpeted hotel rooms can get stuffy. This was not the case.

Our major gripe is with the pillows! They are so thin that they are nearly useless. You have no choice but to fold them over and spend the night making sure they don't move. I had noticed others on this site mentioning the pillow issue and so I brought it up to the receptionists at checkout time. I asked one of them if they had read the comments on Trip Advisor and she replied that they didn't have time to read comments on such sites! You would think that a privately owned hotel would be more than eager to read feedback from guests....

In stark contrast to the plain rooms, the restaurant is fun, and super- creatively decorated. Modern Swiss Quirky is how I would define it. I
loved it! The terrace in summer is like an oasis.

One final beef before I go. Although the hotel rooms are all nonsmoking, my husband and I were both woken up at 7 am by cigarette smoke wafting into the room. We couldn't figure out where it was coming from. This was probably just a fluke occurrence. It was followed by the smell of coffee which is far more agreeable.

• Stayed August 2011
Monaco-Ville, Monaco
Reviewed 4 August 2011

The room was nice and very clean but at our big surprise it was in the underground floor, like a cellar!!! So we had only 2 windows up on the wall and we realized that our room was under the street, closed with a grid...a mix of a cellar and a prison. So ask in which room are you going to be accommodated before booking! The other problem we had was with internet connection. The connection works very well but nobody in the hotel knew the name of the outgoing server (SMTP), even their provider, so we couldn't send e-mails !
I agree with the other guests that wrote that the pillows are not so comfortable.
The restaurant is nice.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
West Sussex UK
Reviewed 28 May 2011

I stayed here recently as I was meeting people for a business dinner in the restaurant, rooms are not huge but clean and tidy, staff are really nice, the only downside and the only reason why I cannot recommend the hotel is that they must have the thinnest pillow (yes pillow not plural) I travel globaly and they really are the worst I have come across, think economy class airline pillows, for that reason I would not stay there again as many people have mentioned this issue and they clearly take no notice, which ios a real shame as its lovely other than that.

Room Tip: ask for a second pillow!