All reviews family run minute walk residential area late check paella tops balcony portions cycle castell
Reviewed September 25, 2017

I went there with my girlfriend.

We choose the menu, consisting of 2 starters & 1 main course, drinks not included in the price.

Drinks arrived, all good as expected.
Gazpacho (first starter) was really good, tasty. They gave us also some nice toppings to add on the gazpacho. So far so good.

Second starter, I ordered a Paella and my girlfriend the 'Avocado & Salmon salad', but what she got was a lot of lettuce with oil on top as a seasoning and very few pieces of salmon and even less avocado, maybe even less than a quarter -medium size- avocado.
We were really shocked by the salad and my gf returned the course, because it was not what we ordered. The restaurant manager very kindly asked to add some more avocado and salmon to the salad to fix it but we declined the offer.

Paella took a little longer, but it had a good taste, what surprised us for the second time was the 'shrimp'. Let me explain, for those who do not know Palamós, it is really famous for its shrimps quality...thus we were expecting a big nice red coloured shrimp on the side of the paella, but we did not. Instead we found the opposite.

So far 2 good and 2 bad, out of 4.

For main course we ordered angler fish/rape and cod/bacalao, and sadly they were not good.
The angler fish had a very poor salad on the side and the course was disapointing on its presentation for the nearly 50€ bill we paid (this includes a discount from the owner after we gently complaint on the food).

Cod was also very bad presented although taste was good and I was really hungry.

Desserts were ok, neither bad nor good, average.

We ordered two coffes as we had to drive our way back to Barcelona and both of them had a burned taste.

After reaching out to management and kindly explaining that we were kind of disappointed, they discounted drinks and coffees.

They look like nice people, but maybe we got there on their worst day and worst hour of their service.
I am sorry but we are not going back.
I wish you good luck.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed July 6, 2017

we arrived here by foot, after walking for 5 hours from s'argo, on a self guided walking trek. we were tired and very hot. that was a very long hill up from the city to get here. checking in went well. my husband immediately bought and brought up cold beer from the bar, wonderful. i went round to the back and had a very refreshing swim in the pool, amidst a small lawn area. dinner was a very tough piece of veal for my husband. spinach cannelloni and a potato and onion tart for me. very little atmosphere in the dining room. the bed was hard and the pillows soft and thin. possibly all due to us being part of the 1/2 board package on our walking tour. too isolated for us, we like to walk about a village/town before and/or after dinner. this hotel is situated in a residential area.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jarmwr40
Reviewed June 24, 2017

The Hotel Ancora was my second hotel in the vicinity of Palamos and on first sight I found it a little dated in comparison to the Hotel Trias however, the friendliness of the reception staff when I popped in to have a look make it an obvious choice. There was a dog in the reception, sometimes two, and even the stray cats looked well fed and looked after! Nothing was too much trouble for the staff all throughout the hotel and I found it refreshing to be out of the busy port area in a quiet residential space. The beach was only a couple of streets walk away with a small choice of bars and restaurants should you wish to go out on an evening however there was no need as the food was stunning at the hotel. The menu was only limited by its lack of vegetarian choice but there was a daily set menu which gave a greater array of dishes to supplement the main menu. Breakfast was buffet style and excellent as was lunch. The bar was well serviced by the reception staff and the portions "Spanish style" and reasonably priced. The rooms were clean and tidy if not a little dated, the beds very comfy and the balcony was enough for an evening sit out peacefully overlooking the gardens. The pool was at the back of the hotel and did not have direct access to the facilities - the gardens had tennis courts and mini golf. If you like walking there is a great walk to the next beach over the cliff tops and if you carry on there apparently is a virgin beach. It is about a 30 minute walk into Palamos itself which is quite a hoof if you undertake it through the day, but worth it to find the quaint streets and tapas bars in the old town. Tuesday is market day in Palamos too.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed May 31, 2017

3 pals staying in single rooms for the third year in a row. Hotel is well situated for a nice stroll to the wonderful la fossca beach and even further to castell beach. Nice restaurants along the beach. Breakfast as good as usual even though hotel was full service was still the best.
Pool area excellent,pool cool but clean.
Only issue was air con in the rooms which was only switched on the second night of our stay and then only worked intermittently but didn't ruin the holiday.
No late check out available this year as hotel was full but a courtesy room was supplied instead.
This a lovely relaxed hotel where the staff are both friendly and efficient
Will hopefully return again next year or perhaps before.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed May 4, 2017

Situated in a residential area this hotel is a 5 minute walk from the nearby small beach which has a few bars/restaurants. Family run hotel which is very hospitable, the rooms are small but comfortable. The food was good.

Stayed: April 2017