All reviewsgili airoutdoor bathroomplunge pool roomgili tprivate gardenseafood bbqblue water expressmini barwelcome drinkocean viewopen airthe main stripfast boatpancakesstayed here for nightshired bikesamazing place
Reviewed December 3, 2011

This was the first hotel of four my wife and I booked for our honeymoon. The Scallywags website printed a picture of exactly what we wanted on the island. And let me tell you this. What you see is what you get. Totally cool. It is in the higher price bracket for sure. But for those of you going to Gili T it is a place that we see only spending 3-4 days. If you are into the Scuba then add a few more.

The same people we emailed back and forth with prior to departure are the same ones we meet at check in. These people could not do enough for you. The rooms were awesome as teh pictures show. Do note that I believe Scallywags is only one of three hotels with fresh water shower and a fresh water pool.

Those big brown chairs that you see in the pictures. They are there and they are waiting for you. Try their apps sampler and the Sangria.

Food. I don't know why all the travel books and tour guides talk about other restaurants. In our opinion Scallywags had the best food. Just sitting in those big brown chairs and watch as they spend two to three hours prepping the beach for their BBQ was exciting. On our first night we toured the beach looking for a restaurant. We finally settled back at Scallywags.

What was really cool was that the hotel actually puts 5-6 individual tables right on the beach for that extra romance. When the restaurant manager saw our intrigue he grabbed a table and set ups up. With wine bucket and all. You can't beat service like that.

the Lonely Planet named Ko Ko Mo the number one restaurant on the island. It is a two minute walk from Scallywags. A little more formal perhaps but nothing in comparison on the quality of food and or service. We didn't try enough restaurants on the island to be sure Scallywags was the best. But if we were to go back again we would eat every meal there.

So overall... service amazing, vibe cool but really nice, accomodations excellence meats pazzaz, food likely the best on the island.

We live in Canada so likely we will never make it back again. But if we did this is the place we would go, eat, relax, and enjoy. Aside from that we will just cherish the memories.

Good travels everyone.
J and G

Take the Gili Cat high speed boat. Night and day difference to the other speed boat companies. Check out Lonely Planet. There have been some concerns...

Room Tip: I think all rooms are the same. Try the apps and the Sangria. There are free movies for guests. Wifi works well. Can't think of anything else. Just ask...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JasonandGenta
Reviewed November 28, 2011

Our family of four booked three rooms at Scallywags for two nights this month. Overall impression of the resort is good nice beach restaurant out the front with the pool and rooms behind the reception. Rooms are nice and fresh and cleaned very well each day. We had lunch and dinner at the hotel both were reasonably priced and tasty. On the night that we had dinner we chose to have the beach BBQ, the fish was on ice but the chicken and other meat was not, this did concern me when the next day we saw them putting the meat out at 4.30 in the afternoon. The pool is really hot there is no shade other than from the beach umbrellas and Gili T is extremely hot, the management need to erected a couple of shade sails across the pool to try to cool it down. The power also goes out alot but the resort has there own genset so it isnt a problem, but keep this in mind if booking somewhere cheap on the island. We walked around half the island and took a cidomo the rest of the way Scallywags is one of the more upmarket places to stay. Gili T wasn't for me if we returned to the Gili Islands I would probably chose to stay on Gili T.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed November 23, 2011

I stayed here with my wife on our honeymoon. Scallywags is situated near the heart of the town but it is far enough off the main road that you dont hear any of the party music that tends to run all night. The rooms are very very nice and in particular the bathrooms are open air and I thought they were great. The staff are friendly and the pool is also very nice. We also stayed at Luce Dalma and this place is alot nicer and in a better location. highly recommend staying at Scallywags

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed November 16, 2011

My husband and I stayed at Scallywags on Gili Trawangan for 4 nights in October 2011 and we absolutely loved it. Their pool area is great, and what is especially nice about it is that it is quiet and private, a little hidden away in the inner courtyard behind the restaurant, as opposed to most other places where pools look on the main busy street.
The rooms are lovely – not big, but very well appointed, with a little private front patio and a great garden bathroom. There are frequent power cuts there but Scallywags has a very good back-up generator, which ensures you always have air-co in your room (and most of the time you really need it there). I have stayed in another place on a previous visit to Gili Trawangan and I know this is not true for all accommodation on the island. Also, the rooms are located quite at the back – so despite being on the main strip where everything is within reach, you never hear any noise from it.
The staff are super friendly and very efficient for Indonesian standards.
The restaurant is amazing – they most likely have the best food on the island. We tried eating elsewhere out of curiosity, but we always wished we didn´t. And the service is really excellent – incredibly fast and friendly. An additional thing we really appreciated about Scallywags is that all the prices they publish are nett – so you know exactly what you pay (almost everywhere else 21% government tax and service charge is added to your bill at the end, which makes some places look cheaper at first , but then end up costing the same but deliver less quality).
We would definitely come again!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TjasaB
Reviewed November 13, 2011

We stayed here in April and we had an amazing time. The staff were lovely...especially on Gili Air. We took the boat over almost every day because the beach and the staff were just amazing at the Beach Club. We travelled with our 2 year old and they were just amazing with him. The room is exactly what you need...clean and well taken care of. The outdoor bathrooms were great too....it is so nice to have a freshwater shower after a long day of snorkelling. The pool is wonderful too...we did not think we would use it much considering the lovely beaches but surprisingly in the evenings we would hop in after dinner and have a cocktail which was the perfect end to the day.

We stayed 10 nights in total at Scallywags and we plan on going back soon. The only problem we had was we wanted to extend our stay halfway through our time here. We asked if they had any room available for an extra few nights. The girl at the desk confirmed it. So we thought everything was ok. But on the day the day that the extension would have started a staff member came to us at breakfast and asked if we needed help checking out. We were completely blindsided by this because we were told it was all ok. Let's just say all the relaxing we did the previous 10 days turned to stress as we had changed flights, transfers back to our home country based on the extended booking being confirmed a week before. We have travelled heaps so we remembered to just take a breath and believe that everything would be ok...and well at this point (which was about two hours later) a staff member who is a young guy that had been incredibly helpful the whole time had just started work for the day and saw us distressed...he stepped in and took over and fixed the entire problem. He is an amazing staff member and I wish I could remember his name because he is one guy that takes care of the guests perfectly. And he always does it with a smile. If you are wondering how he fixed it...they moved us to another resort that had room and moved our bags, treated us to lunch and a drink and this guy made sure our last few nights were just as good as the first 10. This guy was amazing! I wish the few girls that were working that morning would take his attitude on board.

But in hindsight I would not fault this hotel in anyway. I just think next time I will double check that the extension is confirmed before changing other arrangements. If you are looking for a fabulous holiday with great service then book here. Also, spend heaps of time on Gili Air...its great over on that island. I know Scallywags just opened their new villas over there so maybe it is a good idea to split your time between the two islands. The only reason I would go back and stay some time on Gili T is because some of the restaurants there are FABULOUS for seafood and sushi. Kokomos was the best for their sushi platters....we ate them over half the nights we were there. Also, check out the outdoor movie theatre...we loved this in the evenings before heading out to dance!

I have been to the Gili's several times and I really hope the locals protect it from becoming too big like a lot of places do. It is a magical place that we will return to soon!

Thanks to the staff of Scallywags...especially the Gili Air staff!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family