“Terrific Instructors”
Review of Apnea Total Gili - CLOSED

Apnea Total Gili
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Try a different kind of diving! Ever wondered what it's like to dive 20 metres beneath the surface on a single breath of air? Join our Apnea Total freediving instructors and in just 2 days you can learn diving and breathing techniques that will allow you to reach depths you previously thought impossible on a single breath! Experience new sensations and learn to explore the ocean on a single breath! Apnea freediving or breath-hold diving is the sport of diving underwater without the aid of breathing equipment. Freediving forms the basis of many underwater sports ranging from spearfishing to underwater photography and competitive freediving. Apnea Total Gili is run by experienced Apnea Total instructor, Shane, in the beautiful island of Gili Air. Apnea Total is an independent freediving organisation established in 2004 by Monica Ganame and Eusebio Saenz de Santamaria. Having already certified hundreds of students as part of the Apnea Total team, Shane's teaching experience and dedication to his students, combined with the local knowledge of the staff and crew, makes Apnea Total Gili the perfect place to learn how to freedive in the most fun and safe way possible. The Apnea Total Gili Team promotes freediving education and safety from beginner to instructor level. To date, over 7000 students have successfully completed Apnea Total freediving courses. We believe freediving can be learned and enjoyed by everyone and pride ourselves on introducing those with little or no experience, to the freedom and serenity of diving beneath the surface on a single breath! Join a course and let us help you to unlock your natural aquatic potential.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed November 15, 2015

I wasn't sure what to expect with the freediving course, as I was unsure what a good standard would be to start with. The class was widely varied, ranging from some people not being good in the water, to experienced divers. I have to say that our tutor Jackie was fantastic. She was very patient, and did an excellent job giving every student their own time, a personal challenge and enabling them to reach their targets.

The short version of the course is that each day you do a lesson on land in the classroom, which focuses on breathing techniques and why they are used, and followed by exercises. After this part of the day, you head out on the boat in groups of 3 where you try these exercises out in the water, and try to achieve that days target depth. Day 1 it is 12 meters, and day 2 it is 20 meters. You dive down in two different ways (dive and rope), and the teacher comes with you the whole way. I have to say I found Jackie's presence amazingly soothing and it helped to drive me to trust the teaching more and more, and become very at peace with the limits I was testing.

I would 100% recommend the course. I chose it myself after seeing all the reviews, even though there were other schools nearer and apparently a little cheaper - and I was not disappointed. It's going to be my first stop the next time I go to the island, for the second stage of training.

1  Thank WayfairingStranger

Reviewed November 12, 2015 via mobile

Had a day of diving on the reference line w instructor Christian (speaks excellent Spanish and English). Worked on my form and depth. Hit 38.9m Free Immersion and 36.4m Constant Weight. Safe and friendly experience w no pressure to perform, but time and space to improve my diving.

The boat was nice, shaded and easy to get in and out of.

Reviewed November 11, 2015 via mobile

Duck down in the infinity of blue that is the ocean on one breath. I think a lot of people that start the beginner course think they will never be able to do it. But with the professional guidance, reassurance and patience of a good instructor depths know no limit. And with Jacqui you get that all rolled into one with a beautiful smile on top. All the equipment is new and top quality. Also there is never a lack of encouragement and tips for improvement where needed. And calm soothing words when necessary.
It's is located more on the north side of the island close to one of the nicest dive sites on Gili Air. It is also a nice place to chill after the dive. The other part of the magnificent instructor duo is Shane. My friend did her course with him and totally got hooked because of the passion he had for free diving. Same here, will definitely do it again.

1  Thank Mieke B
Reviewed November 11, 2015 via mobile

I took my beginner and advanced courses at Apnea Total Gili with Shane back in June. The courses were very informative and I gained lots of knowledge during the classroom sessions which got me ready for the open water sessions which followed. After just 5 days of training with Shane I was holding my breath in the static session for 3 minutes and 50 seconds and diving to 30 metres on just one breath. Shanes confident and calming instruction helped me to achieve these goals and I always felt safe during the course.
I highly recommend free diving with Shane!

1  Thank Birgit L