“Excellent beginner course”
Review of Apnea Total Gili - CLOSED

Apnea Total Gili
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Try a different kind of diving! Ever wondered what it's like to dive 20 metres beneath the surface on a single breath of air? Join our Apnea Total freediving instructors and in just 2 days you can learn diving and breathing techniques that will allow you to reach depths you previously thought impossible on a single breath! Experience new sensations and learn to explore the ocean on a single breath! Apnea freediving or breath-hold diving is the sport of diving underwater without the aid of breathing equipment. Freediving forms the basis of many underwater sports ranging from spearfishing to underwater photography and competitive freediving. Apnea Total Gili is run by experienced Apnea Total instructor, Shane, in the beautiful island of Gili Air. Apnea Total is an independent freediving organisation established in 2004 by Monica Ganame and Eusebio Saenz de Santamaria. Having already certified hundreds of students as part of the Apnea Total team, Shane's teaching experience and dedication to his students, combined with the local knowledge of the staff and crew, makes Apnea Total Gili the perfect place to learn how to freedive in the most fun and safe way possible. The Apnea Total Gili Team promotes freediving education and safety from beginner to instructor level. To date, over 7000 students have successfully completed Apnea Total freediving courses. We believe freediving can be learned and enjoyed by everyone and pride ourselves on introducing those with little or no experience, to the freedom and serenity of diving beneath the surface on a single breath! Join a course and let us help you to unlock your natural aquatic potential.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed November 18, 2015 via mobile

I didn't know much about freediving when I signed up for the 2-day-beginner course with Jacqui and have been fascinated with freediving ever since. Jacqui is an eloquent instructor, and I felt I was in very good hands during my dives. The breathing exercises and techniques she taught me have proved useful since. I feel more comfortable underwater now and was able to freedive with the manta rays the week after in Komodo. Highly recommended.

Reviewed November 17, 2015 via mobile

I booked the two beginner's course based on the great ratings and I was not disappointed. Knowledgeable and friendly staff, good equipment and organisation made this a very fun and relaxed experience. I'm planning to come back in a few weeks to do some more training or even the advanced course with them.

1  Thank Frank Z
Reviewed November 17, 2015

I always though that freediving was too hard for me, and that going to 20m in one breath was impossible. But with the proper trainning in the right environment, with Jacqui and shane, I made it, and it was really satisfying!
I defenitly recommend everyone to try it, I know I can't wait to go again!

2  Thank SylvainDMarty
Reviewed November 16, 2015 via mobile

I've always been interested in free-living but never had a chance to properly learn it. To my surprise, there was Apnea Total in Gili Air and I knew that I had to give it a try.

I had a great two days with Jacqui, Shane and my instructor, Morgan. I managed to reach 20m in one single breath using the proper breathing techniques we learn through the course.

If you're looking to be amazed at the physical capabilities of your own body, free-diving with Apnea Total is a must have on your to-do list while on Gili Air.

1  Thank Yacoob Y
See more reviews
Reviewed November 15, 2015

I wasn't sure what to expect with the freediving course, as I was unsure what a good standard would be to start with. The class was widely varied, ranging from some people not being good in the water, to experienced divers. I have to say that our tutor Jackie was fantastic. She was very patient, and did an excellent job giving every student their own time, a personal challenge and enabling them to reach their targets.

The short version of the course is that each day you do a lesson on land in the classroom, which focuses on breathing techniques and why they are used, and followed by exercises. After this part of the day, you head out on the boat in groups of 3 where you try these exercises out in the water, and try to achieve that days target depth. Day 1 it is 12 meters, and day 2 it is 20 meters. You dive down in two different ways (dive and rope), and the teacher comes with you the whole way. I have to say I found Jackie's presence amazingly soothing and it helped to drive me to trust the teaching more and more, and become very at peace with the limits I was testing.

I would 100% recommend the course. I chose it myself after seeing all the reviews, even though there were other schools nearer and apparently a little cheaper - and I was not disappointed. It's going to be my first stop the next time I go to the island, for the second stage of training.

1  Thank WayfairingStranger