Apnea Total Gili - CLOSED
Review Highlights
Wow....this was amazing!!!

What a wonderful experience!!! Shane and Jacqui's passion for Freediving encouraged me to sign up... read more

Reviewed January 7, 2016
Elizabeth_Pugh
London, United Kingdom
Must Do - Great Underwater Challenge

Dithch your tanks and be free! I have just done the beginner Freediver course through Blue Marine... read more

Reviewed December 14, 2015
SacMan1
Cape Town, South Africa
via mobile

See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed November 18, 2015 via mobile

I didn't know much about freediving when I signed up for the 2-day-beginner course with Jacqui and have been fascinated with freediving ever since. Jacqui is an eloquent instructor, and I felt I was in very good hands during my dives. The breathing exercises and techniques she taught me have proved useful since. I feel more comfortable underwater now and was able to freedive with the manta rays the week after in Komodo. Highly recommended.

Date of experience: October 2015
Reviewed November 17, 2015 via mobile

I booked the two beginner's course based on the great ratings and I was not disappointed. Knowledgeable and friendly staff, good equipment and organisation made this a very fun and relaxed experience. I'm planning to come back in a few weeks to do some more training or even the advanced course with them.

Date of experience: November 2015
1  Thank Frank Z
Reviewed November 17, 2015

I always though that freediving was too hard for me, and that going to 20m in one breath was impossible. But with the proper trainning in the right environment, with Jacqui and shane, I made it, and it was really satisfying!
I defenitly recommend everyone to try it, I know I can't wait to go again!

Date of experience: November 2015
2  Thank SylvainDMarty
Reviewed November 16, 2015 via mobile

I've always been interested in free-living but never had a chance to properly learn it. To my surprise, there was Apnea Total in Gili Air and I knew that I had to give it a try.

I had a great two days with Jacqui, Shane and my instructor, Morgan. I managed to reach 20m in one single breath using the proper breathing techniques we learn through the course.

If you're looking to be amazed at the physical capabilities of your own body, free-diving with Apnea Total is a must have on your to-do list while on Gili Air.

Date of experience: July 2015
1  Thank Yacoob Y
Reviewed November 15, 2015

I wasn't sure what to expect with the freediving course, as I was unsure what a good standard would be to start with. The class was widely varied, ranging from some people not being good in the water, to experienced divers. I have to say that our tutor Jackie was fantastic. She was very patient, and did an excellent job giving every student their own time, a personal challenge and enabling them to reach their targets.

The short version of the course is that each day you do a lesson on land in the classroom, which focuses on breathing techniques and why they are used, and followed by exercises. After this part of the day, you head out on the boat in groups of 3 where you try these exercises out in the water, and try to achieve that days target depth. Day 1 it is 12 meters, and day 2 it is 20 meters. You dive down in two different ways (dive and rope), and the teacher comes with you the whole way. I have to say I found Jackie's presence amazingly soothing and it helped to drive me to trust the teaching more and more, and become very at peace with the limits I was testing.

I would 100% recommend the course. I chose it myself after seeing all the reviews, even though there were other schools nearer and apparently a little cheaper - and I was not disappointed. It's going to be my first stop the next time I go to the island, for the second stage of training.

Date of experience: October 2015