All reviewslarge sitting roomfisherman's wharfenjoyed my staymarble bathroomferry terminalspacious suiteluxurious staycotai stripbusiness tripsized bedfree shuttle buseschinese foodroom servicecasinotaipataxilobby
Reviewed October 5, 2011

I stayed here for 3 nights a week ago for the first time. It is not my first time to Macau and thought I would give the Sands a go. I travel to Macau regularly for the casinos and entertainment.

Firstly, I found the staff to be very helpful. I arrived early for check-in after a long haul flight and the front desk attendant arranged for a rush job on my room (at 11am) which was very much appreciated. The room was ready an hour later, but with free wifi in the lobby and the help with the sim card. The concierge/bell hop attendants were fantastic with organising a local simm card for me and had them ready to go (second plus). Finally, on my last day there my flights were delayed due to a typhoon that was skirting Macau and HKG. The hotel were excellent in keeping tabs on what was happening at the airport and giving me the room to rest well past the check-out time.

I thought the food in the hotel/casino was disappointing. I tried the Golden Court restaurant for lunch and was bitterly disappointed with the quality of the chinese food, to the point I had to send some dishes back (I can't remember if I have ever done this previously). The chicken dish came out cold and after sending it back, it came back not much better. I had a look at the buffet one day before buying and had to walk away. Room service was not much better and I gather the food came from Golden Court.

The Casino was welcoming and I thought the russian dancers doing their cabaret show in the afternoon was great!

In terms of the rooms the rooms were an excellent size, with seperate lounge and two flat screen TVs. The decor I thought was a cross between Asian and classy 60's which I liked. My only gripe was the design of the room with the minor things. You tend to take things like power points and "do not disturb" signs for granted, but here it was search. Lets just say they aren't in the places you would expect. The maid one day didn't notice the the batteries on the remote were dead and she manually turned off the TV (I wouldn't liked to have arrived at the hotel with no TV).

One attraction of the hotel is the Playboy club, although things were very quiet during the week.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank Jesterinoz
Reviewed May 23, 2011

My husband and I stayed here for a weekend break. We usually go lower-end on accommodation, so this was a real treat. Beautiful room (deluxe king suite) with great views of the ocean and bridge to Taipa. The blackout curtains are fantastic - no light getting through those suckers - when we woke up it was like it was the middle of the night! Gorgeous bathroom with rainfall showerhead.

Checking in and out were super easy, front desk staff were extremely nice and helpful. We ordered the American-style breakfast from room service - so much food and all very tasty (we should have ordered one breakfast for the two of us).

The only niggles were that the breakfast dishes were not cleared and we had to ask TWO times for someone to come clear them (once at 4pm and again at 8pm). The other niggle was that we didn't receive the SCMP (newspaper) that we asked for, on either day.

Hotel is well located, 5 min free shuttle from the ferry terminal though a bit further away for walking to the old town or other casinos. They also have a free shuttle to the Venetian on the Cotai Strip.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bossythecow
Reviewed April 4, 2011

My stay at Sands Hotel was totally ruined by just one Hotel Lobby Security Staff.
We will never return to this hotel because of his unwelcoming attitude.
While my husband and his extended family gambled at the Sands Casino, I opted to wait for them in the lobby inorder to escape the smoke in the casino.
I had my eyes shut briefly, shortly after I sat down on one of their couches. The on duty security came over to me and told me I was not allowed to sleep at their lobby. I informed him that I was not sleeping, I was their hotel guest, and I was just waiting for my family while they were gambling. He didn't believe me, and decided to stare me down. He tried to intimidate me by standing anywhere from 3 feet to 15 feet away from me and kept starring the whole time. It was then and there that I decided that I would not let him intimidate me into moving. I stayed sitting in the lobby until my family texted me to join them at the hotel restaurant. This attitude of his just lost our business (a total of 9 of us) - both hotel stay and gambling at their casino FOREVER.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
7  Thank troublecomingthrough
Reviewed October 16, 2010

Room with nice decoration, well appointed. Free wifi in the room. The staff was accomodating and helpful. I stayed here four nights and felt comfortable, cozy and enjoyable. I'll be back next time.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled solo
2  Thank Wang45
Reviewed February 24, 2010

I love the look and feel of The Sands Hotel and was sorry that we only had one night here.
Although at the price of $510au/nt it was understandable. I find both Macau and Hong Kong very expensive cities for a nice hotel.

The rooms had a dark wood and cream colour finish, the bedroom part was separated by a wooden partition than the slightly sunken sitting room looked out over the harbour, our room sat right next to the neon red sands logo which you can see from the boat when you come into Macau ferry terminal at Fishermans Wharf.

We had just booked the standalone room so didn’t have breakfast included, there was however a nice fruit platter on the table in the lounge.

The rooms were comfortable and cozy.

The hotel had Bvlgari bath products which to this day my partner is still trying to find again!

We had one night here in the old part of town before heading to the sister hotel – The Venetian over on the Cotai Strip.
Concierge arranged for a minivan to transport us over to the Venetian which was brand new and clean.

The only bad thing we could say about the hotel was the size of the courtesy bus from the ferry to sands, many of the other hotels had big buses to take you to your hotel, we were informed that our bigger suitcases (there were four of us) wouldn’t fit on the bus so we would have to walk as four people couldn’t fit in a taxi either!

Personally I felt the room should have been around the $400 mark as $510 was a little too much to pay for a hotel room, for $510 I expect to have an “experience” its hard to say what I mean with the statement “experience” but there are lots of lovely hotels out there which are great to stay in but lack the experience or atmosphere!

If the pricetag was right I would stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with friends