“Lived up to the Number One Ranking”
Review of Pousada de Mong-Ha

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Macau
Pousada de Mong-Ha
Ranked #24 of 94 Hotels in Macau
Reviewed 9 June 2011

I have been a member of Trip Advisor for a long time and apart from one post have not been motivated to post again. Our stay at the Pousada was very enjoyable and I feel obliged to add to the already many complimentary posts. I confirmed for myself the excellent value and the good service offered, in particular by the supervisory staff. I asked for a room on a higher floor because the ground level room was damp and had a musty odour. Contrary to other posts I did not find the Pousada to be out of the way, we took the shuttle bus and returned by taxi. Sometimes we would take the shuttle from the various casinos to the ferry and take the taxi from there. The hotel restaurant represents excellent value in a very modern setting. While we had one or two meals in the neighbourhood we found dining at the casinos to be superior and also representing better value. To our surprise we found the best restaurants to be at the old and the new Lisboa. The French restaurant there was okay but the Chinese Restaurant Eight and the Noodle Restaurant at the Grand Lisboa was sensational. I did go up the hill to try to do some tai-chi; unfortunately almost all the good spaces were spoken for. That's when I realised the hotel has it's own private herbal garden and a location there to do tai-chi without disturbing anyone. Breakfast at the Pousada was wonderful as well. Not much else to add except to book in advance to ensure you have a room.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms at the lowest level
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Etienne8

Reviewed 6 June 2011

Huge rooms, nice view, great service with a smile and a lot of care. You even have a pc and a free wifi in the room.
Breakfast included with nice variety and mada to order eggs.
Well worth staying eventhough out of the turistic zones ( it's an advantage in Macau )
Let go the amazing restaurant they have, and the 10% off you get there as the hotel guests.
Highly recommended.

• Stayed: June 2011
3  Thank Molcodr
Reviewed 1 June 2011

I love this hotel! It is the small things that make it wonderful, such as a free gift of cookies in the evening and the fact that the rooms are tidied in the evenings as well as in the mornings. The service is brilliant- highly professional, warm and enthusiastic. I love the portugese architectural touches in the hotel, like the blue and white tiles. The hotel even has its own herb garden!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank moscavolpone
Reviewed 24 May 2011

My husband and I stayed here for 3 nights in early May. We had read several reviews so were looking forward to our stay. We were certainly not disappointed; we loved the place! The staff were courteous, friendly and very helpful. The decor was lovely - charming colours, restful designs and tasteful rooms. The breakfast room, in the hotel, and the dining room, in the institute, were amazing - great food, beautiful dishes, super staff. We loved meeting the students who were being trained there. The grounds and surrounding park both provided a quiet oasis. In the evening, we thoroughly enjoyed sitting out on the deck and sipping a glass of wine!

Room Tip: book early as this place is popular
Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dianne0113
Reviewed 22 May 2011

Just returned from a trip to Macau, where we stayed for two nights at Pousada de Mong-Ha.

The hotel itself is a gem, the design is a mix of Portuguese and chinese style and the entire place exudes a cosy charm.

Our room is very clean and well decorated, there were thoughtful little details all over. Everything was provided, from a desktop pc to an ironing board.

It was a perfect stay, the staff are friendly, helpful and most of all, very sincere. We were always greeted by lovely smiles and sincere greetings, be it at the lobby or the breakfast hall.

We would definitely recommend Pousada de Mong-Ha to anyone visiting Macau:)

• Stayed: May 2011
Reviewed 4 May 2011

I was a bit sceptical when I read the reviews here, as no hotel could be so perfect. However, I was pleasantly surprised with my stay.

The first surprise was during booking. I was trying to book a stay over the Easter weekend, however the reservation staff informed me that the hotel was (predictably) fully booked. However, they happened to get a cancellation the next day and I was able to confirm my booking. I was extremely pleased that the reservation staff took the trouble to check for a cancellation for me, no other hotel has done this to date.

The second surprise was the property & rooms. When I heard it was attached to an institute for tourism studies, I was under the impression that the property would be run down and not well maintained. This is not the case at all. The property is beautifully maintained with traditional Portuguese architecture & interiors. The hotel is not too far from town (approximately MOP 30-40 from the ferry terminal) and they have a shuttle bus that drops you off at the major sights 4 times a day.

The room & bathroom, while a bit small, are beautifully furnished with antiques & porcelain fittings. Every room also has a desktop computer with free wi fi & broadband, which is a nice touch.

The third surprise was the service. If you're expecting sloppy service from trainee staff, think again. The staff are extremely professional and this is some of the best service I have had at any hotel. The staff make sure that your every need is met and go the extra mile to make sure your stay is pleasant. Whichever hotels the trainees move on to will be very lucky.

Unfortunately we were not able to try the food at the restaurant as it's closed on weekends and public holidays.

In short, this is the perfect hotel if you want to get away from the strip & casinos and see another side of Macau without breaking the bank. Ask the staff for local recommendations for restaurants, one that comes to mind is Flor Bella which is a 5 minute walk from the hotel and serves excellent traditional Macanese food.

Room Tip: Pay extra for a suite, it's worth it.
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank radvani
Reviewed 28 April 2011

From the heading readers of this site will know that we are going to write a fairly positive review which presents us with a dilemma. We do intend to come back & if it becomes too popular we may not be able to get in because of excessive bookings as it is a fairly small establishment.

The Pousada which is part of the adjacent Institute of Tourism Studies is located on a hilltop away from the shops & the hustle of the casinos so you must either use their shuttle bus or a taxi for coming & going. While we were there we received over 8 patacas for the A$ & a taxi to Sands was MOP 32 i.e. about $4 Aust. TIP Always carry a print out of the instructions on how to get there that is posted on the Pousada’s website. Not all Cantonese speaking taxi drivers understand English but all of the ones we used immediately knew where to go once they were given written advice. This location on a hilltop means the location is extremely quiet which may be important if you are light sleeper. It also has some good views. If you want to be in walking distance of all the shops & sights the Pousada may not be for you.

As far as the layout & quality of the rooms, service, enthusiasm of the students, it would have to rank among the best we have stayed in anywhere in the world. The buffet breakfast was served in a dining room with a garden setting & included delicious jams made by the students themselves. They also put a cookie in the bedroom as a sample of their cooking.

As the Pousada is atop a hill it was very difficult to get a photo with a good aspect of the roof top garden, as you are always pointing upwards. Maybe the more enthusiastic students could do this & post them on the website together with some floor plans of the sleeping quarters.

Well done Pousada de Mong Ha and may all of your students have successful prosperous careers in the tourism & hospitality industry.

Room Tip: Consider paying the extra for a suite.
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple