See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed September 13, 2016

The hotel is right across from the train station, so easy to get to! One weird thing...it's up a long, cobblestone driveway, poorly marked. Felt deserted! But, it is a beautiful, old building, well maintained. The young woman who greeted us was very friendly and helpful and spoke perfect English. The place is filled with antiques, paintings, and the hallways have many odd taxidermic heads! (Boar, elk or deer, chamois, fox!) Our room, on 2nd floor was great! Very large, divided into entry room, shower/toilet, bedroom, large bath, balcony. All modern fixtures as well as antique wardrobe and shelves! The hotel sits up on a hill but is very close to walking to everything around town. Breakfast, included, is a fantastic buffet of yogurts, cereals, fruit salad, meats, cheeses, many breads/rolls, several homemade jams, boiled eggs...probably more! The place is a bit odd, but we highly recommend it! Very comfortable!

Date of stay: September 2016
1  Thank Elizabeth B
Reviewed August 21, 2016

We stayed in this hotel for two days to see the Kaiser birthday celebrations and it could not have been more well placed. The ease of access to all Bad Ischl has to offer.
The breakfast is fabulous and has a lot of choice, which is well presented.
Our bedroom was immaculately clean and the bath was extravagant! Super stay in a piece of history

Room tip: All rooms are done to a very high standard.
Date of stay: August 2016
1  Thank Tievie
Reviewed July 3, 2016 via mobile

This hotel is in a 500 year building. We had a great time here. We were travelling with kids and the host kindly changed our room to a larger one. The hotel is filled with antique furniture which was very interesting.

We enjoyed the free wifi, great location - right next to the station and about 100 metres to the town centre.

Date of stay: June 2016
Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Saurabh K
Reviewed July 29, 2015

If you are arriving by train this hotel / b&b is as convenient as it gets as its just a stone's throw away from Bad Ischll's train station. However, if you have lots of luggage and lack a car, the walk up the long and very steep driveway will leave you wondering if you could have done better. Anyways, we arrived at reception barely able to catch our breath and it looked like the hotel was closed for business, until an adolescent boy turns up out of nowhere and starts taking care of our check in. He had a reasonable working knowledge of English which made the checking in process smooth. Then out of the deep shadows of the rather gloomy reception (we arrived in the middle of the afternoon and the sun was bright and hot outside) a man turns up and oversees the adolescent. I just assumed the kid was under training. The man makes a few clever comments about the walk up being good for exercise and we can skip the gym for a few days. If I wasnt weary from travel I might have appreciated his quirky sense of humour but I certainly did not appreciate it then but I chose not to make an issue. They helped us with a map and a few helpful tips of what to see and do around this lovely Austrian town which we were already beginning to fall in love with. As mentioned previously, the decor of this hotel is eclectic with heads of game animals lining the walls and various other strange pieces of furnishing and decoration. Im big on wooden furnishing and finishing so I totally loved the ambience of this hotel. The fact that it was nestled within a well kept garden and hidden from the rest of the town with awesome views of the surrounding hills made this a very cosy and warm place to stay. The layout of the room was odd and the lack of air conditioning in the midst of summer made it very uncomfortable. Sadly, the staff, including the management of the hotel, lacked the warmth and welcome the hotel itself possessed which robbed it for me. The folks of this town were generally pleasant and welcoming which makes me wonder if the folks from this hotel were from Vienna or some other place where they lack the requisite graces to make a visitor feel welcome. The souring of our experience at this hotel, began with my brief chat with said adolescent cum reception manager regarding our check out time for the following day and he was kind enough to let us know that even though the sign at the reception said check out was at 11am it was not an issue if we wanted to check out half an hour later. If you are going to place someone to manage the reception of your hotel its safe for a guest to presume that he has the authority to make such representations. Relying upon this we planned our following morning accordingly since our train ride was only due well past noon. We were rudely interrupted by a pounding on our door at 10.50am and a gruff female voice announcing loudly that we need to vacate by 11am. We scrambled to pack and head down with our luggage in 10mins. When I informed the grumpy and miserable looking lady at the front desk what we were informed the day before I was told in a very rude tone and manner that I should not rely on what a teenager tells me and that she did not care (her exact words) what other hotels have accommodated and that 11am departure means 11am departure. Frankly, and quite unfortunately my experience at this hotel leaves alot to be desired and this is largely premised on the rude and arrogant attitude of those who run this place. The only reason I have avoided giving this place a terrible/1 star rating is because the location and the property itself are great but both of those are marred by the poor and miserable attitude of the folks that manage this hotel. They have a lot to learn about what hospitality actually entails! Perhaps a trip to any Asian city could serve as a useful crash course.

Date of stay: July 2015
3  Thank gypsyesprit
Reviewed June 10, 2015

We wanted to explore Salzkammergut area and since we did not have a car, we chose Bad ischl as our base. This hotel was perfect for our purpose. Right next to the bus stop(buses from salzburg stop here), the hotel has its own garden. It is very nice and quiet. Wooden flooring gave a nice old feel. We had a room on the 3rd floor, and the views were nice. I loved the fact that you could lie in your bathtub, and see the sky(there is window sort of thing on the ceiling) . The decor is a nice- ecclectic mix with lot of Sri lankan/Asian influence. You can pretty much walk anywhere you want in Bad Ischl from this place. The train station is right opposite. The thermal spa ( we did not use, because this hotel had steam room and sauna) is also opposite the hotel. I would surely recommend this place.
One thing I would suggest - you can easily skip the breakfast here ( at Euro 10, it felt steep for what you get, especially if you are not a meat eater). At the train station, which is just opposite the hotel, there is a very nice bakery, and 2 people can have breakfast for 10 euros. Please do remember that Thursdays are public holidays in Austria, and many places remain shut, including the bakery i mentioned.

Date of stay: May 2015