See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed October 10, 2016

A really good experience here, arrived at 8am, and was able to take an early check-in. Rooms very comfortable, with good fast Wi-fi connection. Breakfast was good, my only complaint was that the breakfast room was very hot!
Staff all very helpful, especially when I needed by hotel bill to have my company name and address listed in English text. Priced on the high side for the area, but well worth the money. Also to note there is no lift for guests, only luggage. The Bell boy was very helpful with the bags for my group.

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled on business
Reviewed September 23, 2015 via mobile

We stayed here for two nights. Rooms, facilities, beds and staff are quite okay. Hotel has nice historic atmosphere. Breakfast is served, no buffet, but with eggs and broad choice. It's served in the special restaurant Parmezan. If you sleep at front sight, it can be a bit noisy, because of traffic and other noises. Prices for the rooms are at the higher levels for Tomsk.

Stayed: September 2015, travelled on business
1  Thank Ron v
Reviewed September 15, 2014

I really liked this hotel, I had a good time and a good room, and it is the premier hotel in Tomsk, but even though it is **** and thus doesn't have provide five-star features (in parts it does), it is "only" 4 out of 5 points for me. My room was large, very well furnished, and pleasant, but there a few features that just do not allow a higher rating. No elevator is fine with me (I was on the top floor) because is so quirky, and they have both very good and prompt bellboys and a luggage lift. But a few small negatives:
- I know that east of Warsaw, wedding parties need to be really loud, and they did finish one when I was there at 11pm, and hotels need those to make money, but droning pop music from the ground floor that made the walls shiver on the 3rd floor for maybe 8 hours is just not nice.
- On departure day, I ordered room service breakfast because it was early; I checked whether this would work with hanging the menu card outside on the doorknob; I did; the breakfast never came.
- The hotel has neither gym nor pool; it doesn't have to, but I just like some place for exercise.
- The TV has only one non-Russian channel, BBC News (especially odd in the current political situation). And this is a hotel that is explicitly bilingual and targets the English-speaking guest.
The bed however was excellent and the linen great; temperature (AC/heat) was good (key for Siberia); the location is simply the best in town; I enjoyed the breakfast (limited "spread" but generally fine quality); I had an expensive but excellent dinner in the restaurant as well (one waiter spoke extremely little English, but that I think is my problem, not his); wifi was free as it should be, and so on. The maintenance staff was outstanding; the only reason for 4/5 points for cleanliness is the partially soiled and (cigarette?-)damaged soft furniture in the room.

Practical hint: If you go out of the hotel, turn left, cross the square's corner in front of the orange-white Cathedral, and walk now that side of the square (the hotel is in your back, Lenin on your left, where he probably belongs), you will get to one of the better shopping streets in Tomsk, with a very good supermarket on the other side of the street after some meters (in a historic brick house with a green-domed turret), souvenir shops, and the like.

There are two competitor hotels in town (Bon Apart and Gogol?), where many of my conference colleagues stayed; comparing stories, I would choose Magistrat again.

• Stayed: September 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Aethelred
Reviewed September 26, 2013

This hotel was recommended by someone I was visiting, and it turned out to be a great choice. The service was impeccable, the room - clean and comfortable, the breakfast - filling, enjoable and promptly served.

One thing I would say is that they could do with providing at least some powdered milk (in sachets) for those who take milk in their drinks - for the time when you want to make a drink in your room. Toothpaste would also be welcome - some hotels in the 4-star category provide it.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank 627helena
Reviewed September 18, 2013

I drove a detour on the Transsiberian Highway just to see the Magistrat Hotel, as it is one of the very few Russian Hotels with a history and building from before communist times. And it looks good on the internet. Unfortunately my expectations were not met:

- There is no elevator. Our room was on the highest 3rd floor.

- Our deluxe room had no windows, no view, only two roof openings.

- There is no wellness area.

- The breakfast is very limited à la carte.

- There is not Diet Coke in the hotel (however in the supermarket / petrol station down the road)

- All of the above and the service quality didn't correspond with the RUB 9.000 / USD 300 price per night.

On the positive side, the clientele is interesting, receptionists are very friendly and the interior design is high-level for Russian standards. From an aesthetical point of view, the Magistrat Tomsk is certainly one of the nicest hotels in Russia.

Note: the Hotel Toyan next door came as a pleasant surprise. A boutique / designhotel with extravagant, dark, young interior decoration of high international standard. May be worth a test.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends