1,081 results
All reviews reef restaurant steak restaurant collins bar signature room swim up bar japanese restaurant specialty restaurants girl band sushi white company products main bar paddle boards bar staff ocean front beach bag plenty of sunbeds an umbrella
Reviewed May 23, 2017

I will start with the good. We did enjoy our time there especially the second week for reasons I will come to later. The accommadation was better than I thought as we only booked the basic room when everyone was saying to book a sea view. The food was pretty good and varied ,there was always something you could have. The service was average as the bar area was always very busy one day for example I gave up waiting for a drink after 20 minutes and that was in the morning !! Now for the bad there was a large party there for a wedding around 20 of them and the behaviour of some of the adults was nothing short of disgraceful !! When we first arrived at the hotel our first impression will always be of a young boy being dragged through reception by his mother and her screaming at him, I am afraid to say that this just set the tone for the next 6 days !! During the first week we were there the pool was closed on 3 occasions due to children fouling in the pool there after I never went near the pool. I could go on but no point , but the biggest disappointment for me was that management did absolutely nothing about it !!

Room Tip: Nothing wrong with the basic rooms apart from the view.
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tomjulie16
Toni S, Property Representative at Sugar Bay Barbados, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2017

Hello,
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We have taken note of your concerns and have assessed how best we can avoid a similar situation in the future. We are pleased to know that ultimately you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope you will consider staying with us again.

Reviewed May 22, 2017

OK so lets start with the positives, we had a fantastic room, an Oceanfront Family Suite right on the beach - the décor of the room and the hotel is really very nice and no expense has been spared to get it "just right". The hotel is located in a nice area of Hastings and it's perfectly safe to walk around and there are several shops close by. So the important part, the food - we enjoyed two really great meals in Umi, the quality of the food was excellent and the service very very good, we liked it so much that we paid to eat there on the second visit - Jamie, our waitress was lovey and attentive.
The entertainment was pretty good and unobtrusive. Do not miss the opportunity to see Virgo, they are simply utterly brilliant.

OK so here are the things that were not so great:

First of all, we too, experienced the dreadful family that were at the hotel for a wedding. I agree with all of the previous comments, the Staff should have intervened far more on the swearing, drinking and general disrespectful behaviour that the family showed to other guests who were trying to enjoy a relaxing , drama free holiday.

Food - We really disliked "Reef" restaurant, the food quality was disappointing and not at all appetising. The condiments used to serve the food in the buffet were not changed which resulted in several layers of cold, congealed food on all of the serving spoons - really quite disgusting. Some of the food was not refrigerated which meant that it got hot, I distinctly remembering the cheese selection cooking and subsequently melting in the sun.
Service - I not sure whether it was the fact that we were two women n holiday (I was with my mum) but we didn't receive particularly good service, the reception team were not at all proactive and if you asked a question, you pretty much had to work out the answer by yourself as their responses were both abrupt and slightly mysterious. The Staff in Reef were also inconsistent, some of the staff were really attentive, some were just plan rude. We generally had to wait an average 10 minutes to order a refreshment and woe betide if you requested a drinks menu - that really was a step too far for them.

So despite the fact the hotel is beautiful and in a great location, we would definitely not return for the reasons stated above.

BTW, If you are travelling n Virgin Upper Class also bear in mind that it's the smallest cabin I have ever seen and there is very little space to move around.

Room Tip: Our Beachfront Family Suite was very very nice.
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled with family
6  Thank ShaunaBerksire
Toni S, Property Representative at Sugar Bay Barbados, responded to this reviewResponded August 24, 2017

Hello ShaunaBerksire,
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We have taken note of your concerns and steps have been implemented to ensure a similar situation can be avoided in the future.
We are happy to know that you were pleased with the location of our resort and that you were especially pleased with your room. We hope you will continue to visit Barbados and consider staying with us again sometime in the future.

Reviewed May 22, 2017 via mobile

We went to Sugar Bay as part of a significant birthday celebration. We had a standard room, which was spacious spotlessly clean and had a great shower/washroom. The staff from reception, housekeeping, guest services, restaurant, bar staff and the folks who distribute the parasols were fantastic. Nothing is too much trouble. We had two meals at Sizzle, amazing. I can wholly recommend the crab and avocado starter. Colin's bar is good for lunches but has limited choice, we had some delicious Mahi Mahi here and great macaroni pie. The Reef restaurant has great breakfast, and good salads at lunchtime. We were also pleased and happy with the evening choices. Great choice of meats beautifully cooked. And wonderful fruit crumbles. Thoroughly enjoyable stay and we will return.

Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed May 20, 2017

Before travelling to Barbados my wife and I did a lot of homework on the internet including reading 100’s of reviews on Tripadvisor. We picked Sugar Bay as it appeared to offer what we wanted.
We stayed for a week and would say there were many positives about the resort however also some negatives.
Upon arriving at the hotel we were greeted by very friendly staff who checked us in quickly and efficiently before taking us to our room. We stayed in a Deluxe Ocean front room and the room itself was great. It was spacious, clean and comfortable with a balcony that looked out over the beach. We had plenty of hanging space for clothes, a safe in the room and free wifi.
The staff are probably the biggest asset of the resort. In particular Roland and Sam at the pool bar and Petol who manned the egg station at breakfast time.
The beach at the resort is for resort guests only. The beach is only small and became quite crowded during the day once all the hotel guests had finished breakfast and came out for a swim or sunbake. Also we found the beach to be a little rocky and would recommend reef shoes. We did on a couple of occasions walk along the beach towards Bridgetown and found the public beach which is not far past the Hilton Hotel to be more to our liking. The sand there was whiter and finer, the water crystal clear and it wasn’t rocky.
I note many of the reviewers on Tripadvisor comment about how wonderful the food at this resort is. We found this to be true with the two specialty restaurants Umi and Sizzle, where we had 2 really enjoyable meals but did not find the buffet at lunch and dinner to be anything special. In actual fact we found the buffet only gave a small variety of choice. Also we had 2 lunches at Colins Beach Bar but did not enjoy these meals at all.
Unfortunately we did not realise before travelling to Barbados, the time we were going to be there would be school holiday time in the UK. The resort was full of families with young children and we did find this spoilt the holiday a little. We would go to the pool bar for a drink to find kids sitting at the bar drinking sodas and milkshakes. The pool constantly had kids swimming in it with their inflatable toys playing games and screaming and shouting. I was one day hit hard in the side of the face while having a swim at the beach by a soccer ball 3 kids were playing with on the sand. Now I note it is not the hotels fault we holidayed there at a time where there were lots of young children, I am merely warning people who are thinking of staying here if you do not want to share your time with lots of young children do check before booking that it’s not school holiday time in England.
If I could have I would have rated the hotel at 3 and a half stars, it would be fair to say it was better than average but did not quite live upto 4 stars in our eyes.
Overall we were fairly happy with our stay at Sugar Bay. After seeing many of the other resorts around Barbados I would suggest Sugar Bay is one of the better places to stay at in Barbados. I would simply recommend if you are travelling as a couple looking for a peaceful holiday for two make sure you go outside of school holiday time.

Room Tip: Would recommend paying extra for an ocean view.
  • Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
3  Thank jnkSydney

Hello,
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. As part of our efforts to maintain high standards, we have taken note of your concerns and will assess how best we can address them.
We are happy to know that overall you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope you will consider staying with us again in the future.

Reviewed May 20, 2017

We arrived on 18 april after a long flight on arrival the main entrance to the hotel looked great with the hotel set away from the road in lovely grounds. The reception area was very impresive, well furnished, bright and clean. The reception staff were very welcoming and polite. Check in was easy. Our room was stunning, very well furnished and spotlessly clean the bed linen and towels were brilliant white. The main resturant which was called the reef was excellent the food wonerfull, every day there was a good choice of food cooked perfectly . Chef Paul and his team do a fantastic job. Petal is a superstar she always greets people with a smile. Sizzle steak house is also extremely good, but Umi the Japanese restaurant was our favourite, not having Japanese food before we loved it. Now for the staff every single member of staff were wonderful, my grandaughter Olivia 14 had never been abroad before and the staff made our holiday special, Vicky in the resturant, Ted and Pedro, and of course Petal thank you. There is also a young lad who works behind the scenes who I noticed works very very hard his name is Loyd. And not forgeting Roman what a charming young man, always smiling and polite. We had the pleasure of meeting Morgan the general manager, thank you Morgan for a great holiday in your wonderful hotel, please pass our thanks on to all of your staff .

Room Tip: We stayed in room 119. It is a 50 feet from the beach
  • Stayed: April 2017, travelled with family