All reviews a small boutique hotel every meal other guests road noise catch of the day all inclusive hotel special mention small beach fish dishes reggae buses south coast deluxe room rum punch special thanks a la carte lounge chairs catamaran trip
Reviewed October 28, 2016

My family, my mother and father enjoyed staying at the Soco Hotel. I am not into going to very large hotels. I like small intimate and relaxing places to stay. If you want to stay at a hotel that is not only relaxing, it is charming, elegant, with great chef style cuisine and most of all friendly and personnel who take pride in giving you a great vacation experience, then you need to go to the Soco Hotel. We had a cocktail party and met the proprietor of the hotel and he was simply amazing. The staff is amazing. Shout out to Michelle Herbert, the hostess with the mostess, the chefs Anne, all of the wait staff , Sanureta Rollins who kept our room beautiful and clean, the groundskeepers, main office staff, bartenders, everyone that helped to make our experience very special. I will be back and definitely recommend to anyone who want to visit Barbados. My mother is disabled and uses a walker and they accomodated us by giving us a room on the ground floor near the pool. facing the beach. Breathless.

Room Tip: I chose the room on the ground floor near the bar, dining, the pool and the beach. Great boardwalk that goes for one mile.
  • Stayed: October 2016, travelled with family
3  Thank tlove66
Sharen R, Sales and Marketing Manager at The SoCo Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 9, 2016

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for recommending Soco as a place to relax, all of our staff here ensure that are guests are relaxed and as happy as possible.

We would that we can welcome you back in the near future.

Warm Regards,

Sharen

Reviewed October 26, 2016 via mobile

My husband and I just returned from a wonderful vacation at SoCo. We found it on TravelZoo and it was exactly as advertised. All rooms had a beach view but there was noise from the traffic on the other side of the room. We were in room 306. The beach is small but the hotel only had 20+ rooms so the beach was big enough. The food was great! We were only there 3 nights so unfortunately we only got to eat from 2 of the menus; I wish we could have been able to order from one of the other menus but there was always several choices. Michelle was great; she took care of anything we needed, from beach towels to bottled water. I would definitely return.

Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Cheryl F

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for staying with us at The Soco Hotel and taking the time to write a review, we are happy to learn that you had a wonderful vacation.

Sunny Regards,

Sharen

Reviewed October 25, 2016

My wife and I found a deal on Travelzoo for a stay at the Soco Hotel. After considerable research and reading lots of wonderful reviews from other guests who have stayed there we decided to try it out. What a great decision. We stayed for 5 nights between 10/15-10/20. Long flight from San Antonio, TX to Barbados but well worth it once we arrived. We prearranged our taxi from the airport and the right was approximately a 20 minute ride. Upon arrival we were warmly greeted in the hotel reception area by Delores, Leah, and Natasha with a refreshing rum punch which was very good after a long flight from the states. Check-in took approximately 20 minutes and we were escorted to our beautiful room on the 3rd floor. Our room was well appointed, clean, and what a breathtaking view of the Caribbean. What we liked the most about the Soco Hotel is that it is a small intimate boutique hotel with only 24 room, all with outstanding views of the water. Staying there was almost like having your own home right on the water since most days there were very few other guests around the pool and in the restaurant for lunch. Speaking of the restaurant I must say that all meals for breakfast, lunch, and dinner were individually prepared after we ordered off a menu and arrived at our table hot and well presented. Thank you to Michelle the Activities Manager and Host at the hotel for always being there during the day to answer questions, set-up excursions, and of course, do the famous Rum Tasting at the hotel pool bar. This activity was lots of fun, where we tried over 7 different rums from the island to include the famous Mount Gay which is know worldwide as one of the best of the best when it comes to rum. Thanks Michelle for your contagious smile, warm and friendly attitude, and professional demeanor. We loved being around you. Other members of the staff we want to recognize are Ria our room attendant. Thanks Ria for always making sure our room was tidy, clean, and ready to go each day. It's obvious you love your job and we surely appreciated your "Can Do" attitude. Then there was Shana, Sheldon, and Karen who worked the pool bar. Let me say that these professionals were always on top of their game making sure our beverages glasses were full. Thank you to the three of you for making our stay at the Soco Hotel one to remember for a long time. We will definitely be back to see you in the future. Keep doing what you do and that is to make sure your guests are well taken care of at the bar and even in the restaurant when there is a need for you to fill in there. I would be remiss if I didn't mention the hard-working gals in the restaurant kitchen who prepared each and every meal for all of their guests. Thanks to Lana and company for doing an outstanding job preparing some great dishes for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Your apple pancakes were some of the best I have ever had. Overall, my wife and I were pleasantly surprised with the Soco Hotel. If I had one recommendation to be made I would suggest management install outdoor ceiling fans in the outdoor patio area above the dining area and also in the pool bar area to circulate the air when there is no breeze. It can get really hot and steamy in Barbados as was the case while we were there and fans would be a great addition to help alleviate those particular areas from getting stuffy and uncomfortable for both the guests while enjoying their meals and employees who are out there on the front line taking care of all of us guests. Thanks again for a wonderful stay. We really enjoyed the 5 days while there. Mr. Ralph Taylor (Owner), you should be very proud to have the staff you have working for you at the Soco Hotel. They represent you and the hotel well along with being great ambassadors for the proud island of Barbados. Keep up the great work and continue doing what you do by taking care of all the guests who opt to spend their vacations or holidays at the Soco Hotel. We will be back; see you real soon. Lee and Shelley Tompkins, Room #307.

Room Tip: All rooms have a great view with balconies
  • Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple
3  Thank tejasontheroad
Reviewed October 24, 2016

This is a very small property and actually perfect if you don't want the crowds of people that you get at a large resort. Check in was quick, we were served rum punch and taken to our room. The first night we were upgraded because our regular room was not ready. We stayed on the first floor. The room was a little larger but the air did not work as well as we wanted it too, but not a big deal because we knew we were moving. First floor is very convenient to the bar, pool and restaurant. We were moved to the 3rd floor for the remainder of our vacation - which was great! View was much better and air was super cold! Bed was comfortable, room was clean, bathroom had good storage and water pressure. Drinks - awesome, try the cocktails from their menu. Food was very good. Dinner - the menu was the same two nights that we were there out of our 7 night stay. There was always a chicken, pork, pasta or fish selection and all were very well prepared and tasty. I got the catch of the day most nights and it was delicious! Lunch - most of the dishes were hot, so not a lot of light lunch choices. Would have been nice to have a large salad or sandwich for lunch choice. Breakfast - pancakes, french toast (my favorite), eggs benedict, bacon, sausage, lots of choices. Service for all meals was excellent with friendly staff. Pool and beach were never crowded. If there were not enough loungers on the beach the staff would bring one down for you if you ask. Beach was great, water is just beautiful. We saw turtles several times swimming around us - pretty cool! I don't know that anyone other than myself and my husband even got into the pool! Loud music was not blaring from a PA system and no one was walking around dragging you to dance or do some stupid thing in front of a bunch of people - which I did not miss. I did not see anyone with children, I don't think this would be a good hotel for kids. Great location, walking distance to shops and restaurants. We did hear the buses in the morning but after the 2nd day we tuned them out. If you are going into Bridgetown do take one of the white buses, they run more frequently. We went to Oistins on Friday night - this is a must do! We met some really lovely people and had wonderful food. Overall this was a perfect choice for us.

Room Tip: Upper rooms have the best views
  • Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed October 22, 2016 via mobile

We really wanted to love this hotel. First of all the beach is stunning. Perfection. Great for swimming, snorkeling and wading. Pink flecks in the soft white sand. Its also a quick drive from the airport. We got a taxi upon arrival and it was $20. And we really enjoyed the breakfast and lunch. Dinner not as much. Honestly, the staff was not warm and welcoming... pretty grumpy. However they grew on us (or we grew on them) Actually Shannon and Michelle were always sweet. Overall this was a good value for what we paid.

Our 2 main issues were this

1. Our room was #201. It was directly behind the reception desk. Directly behind. Totally bizarre. It felt tired and in need of an update . There was absolutely no privacy. It was VERY loud. The staff and guests could be heard at all hours. We immediately asked for a room change. And were immediately denied this request. And it seemed as though there were rooms available. That room is completely unacceptable.

2. There was not a drop of Mount Gay Rum to be found. Which was extremely disappointing... as it was one of the resons we came to Barbados in the first place. (Mount Gay is made in Barbados) It would be like going to Puerto Rico and not having Bacardi. Not only was it disappointing they were out, we were lied to at least 4 times... each time given the run around that it was on order. It never came. (And a staff member did end up telling us discreetly the they dont serve it) But why keep telling is it was coming??? And does it save that much money??! There is not one top shelf bottle of liquor to be found here. Not one.

Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple