Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
Lovecaraibes
Sherbrooke

Second visit in 6 months!

4.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed Dec 4, 2014
After visiting this resort last May by myself, I liked it so much that I couldn't wait to go back and share it with my husband! The amazing beach, the wonderful staff, the quiet and cozy resort...we were both very happy with our stay! Thank you Mayelena. Edel, Ariel at the buffet, aA nd the others whose names I unfortunately forgot: the nice ladies at the lobby bar who made our cappuccinos and espressos in the morning, the pepos who served us at the repeat guests dinner...We felt so welcome by everybody!
We enjoyed the food, especially the fish at lunch at the Ranchon, the fresh omelets and pastas at the buffet...
The resort was less than 50% full so no problem getting a good spot on the beach!
The only reasons I can't give 5 stars: the rooms are in need of some renos (planned for next year I'm told), the public washrooms are frequently missing toilet paper and hand towels, the toaster at the buffet is exceedingly slow...
But we were very happy with our room (1328): quiet and well located, and loved the mojitos with fresh mint! (Grown on site). I have not enjoyed that in other resorts in Cuba, and it's not that hard to grow a patch of mint!
It's no wonder we met so many returning guests (papa Stan! Adorable!). Another frequent guest (Ian) told us it's the best kept secret in Cuba And he's right!
As I said to friends: you go for the sun and the beach. You come back for the people! And I can't wait for my next visit! Thanks to all the staff for our great vacation!
Date of stay: November 2014
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Jesus T, Director General at Hotel Camino del Mar, responded to this review
Responded Dec 11, 2014
Hello Lovecaraibes

Thank you very much for a nice review about our hotel. You are right regarding the rooms, we will be updaiting them as soon as possible without disturbing the clients, it will be done step by step. As for the public toilettes, i am happy to say that we already created a system to maintain them stocked and cleaned 24 hours.

We will be happy to pass on your regards to Edel, Mayelena, Ariel and the rest of the staff. I can also tell you that Papa Stan is coming back soon and Ian is planning for a next visit too. It is true that our greatest strenghts are the staff and the beach.

I am sure we will be seeing you agian in no time too. It seems the best kept secret in Cuba is beginning to stopped being so secret after all as our family of repeat guests is always growing of which we are very proud.

Once again, tahnk you very much for writing about us in this site, we wish you Merry Christmas and Happy new year!

C$95
    Pool
    53.8 km from Hotel Camino del Mar
    View more hotels in Cayo Guillermo
    5,829 results
    See what travellers are saying:
    Selected filters
    Reviewed December 4, 2014

I have stayed at this hotel 4 times now, It has to be said that the season has not really started yet so there is still a bit of work going on to get it ready but I knew this going out.
    It was as I expected that includes the food the grounds and the facilities available but the thing that makes this hotel for me is the staff, cant do enough for you, they know things sometimes go a little bit haywire or not to plan but to their credit it is fixed straight away.
    If you want a holiday with all the razzamataz of the big city if you want all whistles and bells then this is not the resort for you, however if you want a calm relaxing holiday where if you want you don't have to do anything, but there are plenty of trips and events you can go for then this is the place.
    As Arnie said "Ill be back" Thanks to Judith Alfonso Guilarte for her help pre holiday and a special thanks to all the guys at the bar.

1  Thank derekbarbara
    Jesus T, Director General at Hotel Camino del Mar, responded to this reviewResponded December 10, 2014

Hello derekbarb

Thank you very much for your comments in this site and for in your very own personal way, recommend us to other people, wanting a relaxing and nice holidays.
    I will personaly pass your regards to Judith, our Booking Manager, and i am sure that she will be very happy for it. Also to the guys at the bar.

You are certainly right that our staff is the best asset we have and we are very proud of them.

We are sure that we will be seeing you a 5th time very soon indeed and that makes us very happy.

We want to send you a special Merry Christmas and a wonderful and successful 2015!

See you soon,

Reviewed December 4, 2014

I returned from staying at the Melia Cayo Guillermo last week - this hotel is not star the rating given by Thomas Cook in their brochure

when we arrived at the hotel, only some of the rooms had air conditioning & half of the hotel was shut due to this, the room we were given was old fashioned & one evening we had water pouring through the ceiling and some days no hot water, the food in the buffet was poor and was sometimes cold and the service was not good, the staff could only be bothered with you if you they knew they would get a tip
    Also there were not many staff working in the hotel, so when we wanted to do the water activities included on the beach in the hotel,such as hobie cats and pedalos there was no one there on several days to help us

Also, there is a cigar smoking room in the hotel and this was out of action, my partner asked for this to be opened several time so he could buy a Cuban cigars & have a Rum , we were given several excuses by the hotel, there was no staff or they did not have a licence to open this room.

Also the 24 hr pool bar, there was no menu and all they served was toasted sandwiches & ice cream and on our 2nd week they began to serve french fries, also they did not serve any hot drinks or hot water, this is poor as not everyone wants beer or spirits or fizzy drinks all the time and the staff were not helpful

The Cuban Rancho Restaurant, the food was awful and the menu was the same everyday with no other choice & service very poor

The Italian a la carte restaurant was also very poor quality of food & most people left theirs & the service was poor

Also, the beach bar, only opened from 10am - 4pm and they did a bbq lunch of pork most days which was fatty & again service very poor

Also, its seems like we were on rations for the drinks in our fridge in our room - we had to ask customer services several times for drinks to be put into the fridge

My partner went on a fishing trip & asked the hotel for a packed lunch, the lunch they provided was awful and not edible & he could not eat it

Also the Thomas Cook Rep - Ivan was pretty useless & was only interested in selling excursions & not with the problems we were having in the hotel

myself & my partner were not the only people having issues with the hotel & Melia

i would not recommend this hotel at all & would never return to this hotel

I have been to Cuba several times but this has been my worst experience!!!!!

do not book this hotel!!!!

5  Thank michele c
    Jesus T, Director General at Hotel Camino del Mar, responded to this reviewResponded December 12, 2014

Hello Michelle

First of all we would like to thank you for this review as the feedback from our clients is the best way to improve our services, after all we work for your comfort.
    We are sorry to know that your experiences didn't fullfill your expectations and that you had problems during your stay.

We can tell you, however that we have now a new Chef in the hotel and we have changed all the menus, with a high rate of acceptance. You could realized there have been a good change regrading the offers, services and temperature of the food. Also, we have reached the staff once more and remind everybody that our goal is the satisfaction of the expectations of our clients ate any cost, it has never be a policy of our company to link the good service with the tips and we will be even stricter in the following of this rule.

It is tru that we had sevral days with bad weather and even in days when people cannot notice beforehand that the sea is in bad condition, we are facing the old channel of Bahamas and the current can be very dangerous when ther is some strong wind, in days like those, even if it is hot and sunny, all nautical sports are forbidden by the Marina for safety reasons and that is why we do not offer hobbie cats or pedaloes or similar.

About the Cigar Bar, we had some technical issues there for a couple of weeks which is already solved now and we couldn't open it. This is a new added service we started in the hotel veyr recently, however, we do have a Habano House in the hotel, opened from 9 am till 9 pm in which we sell all kind of brands of cigar so you can buy them there, near the lobby bar and either smoke it in their smoking room or take the cigar to the lobby bar and smoke it there.

The services at the snack bar have been updated, they have now sandwiches, salads, icecream, drinks, frech fries and tea, hot chocolate, coffee and similars.

The menu at the Ranchon includes chicken, squids, frsh fried fish, fish filet, beffe and pork ribs, soups, salads and desserts, among other options, as for the BBQ, we have pork ribs and sausages, hamburgers....

There is a new menu in the Italian and the International Resturant that we are sure would be of your liking.

We would like to ask you to reconsider coming back for a visit again, with all this changes and improvements, the whole hotel without any air conditioning problem and all bars opened. I am sure that if you give of an oportunity we will be able to earn your trust again.

We would like to send you and your family a Merry Christmas wish and happy new year!

Regards,

Reviewed December 3, 2014

My husband and I stayed at the MCG November 21-28 2014 and had a wonderful time. We have previously travelled to Mexico, but this was our first trip to Cuba. We chose MCG because of it's ranking on TripAdvisor as #1 hotel on Cayo Guillermo. We were a bit nervous prior to the trip as friends and family kept saying "you go to Cuba for the beach, not for the food" and "you go to Cuba for the beach, not for the entertainment". I am happy to report that MCG exceeded our expectations. I can honestly say that photos of the resort don't do it justice. It is absolutely beautiful. The landscaping, pathways, resort layout, pier, and low-rise buildings are designed for those wishing to relax in a friendly, pleasant place. We are glad that we went before high-season as we did not have problems finding sun lounges around the pool or on the beach during our visit; but suspect it could get quite crowded quickly (especially around pool).

PRO: The customer service can't be beat. The staff in all areas of the operation are unfailingly friendly and go out of their way to assist you. The pool area is great; having the children's area separated from the rest of the pool is ideal. The Aquatic Ballet show was great entertainment. The snorkeling around the pier was wonderful, and the kite surfers provided an ongoing source of entertainment. Our room (1225) was large, clean, and had plenty of storage space. The musical entertainment in the lobby bar in afternoons/evenings added a lot of ambience. The scotch and cigars in the cigar lounge were a great way to end an evening. The food in the restaurants, especially the buffet, exceeded our expectations. In particular the pasta station, pizza station, and plantain flambe station were favourites. The resort's ponds, private gardens, patios and landscaping are the nicest and best maintained on the island compared to all other resorts.

CON: The week we were there was windier than usual. As a result, there were more jellyfish than is normal and sometimes the beach was too windy to be comfortable for sun bathing. The lobby bathrooms (toilets did not flush properly) and the bathroom in our room (shower rod fell down every day) need some work; but nothing major. The a la carte seafood restaurant was not open the week we were there, and the cigar lounge in the lobby only opened on our last night at MCG (these were disappointments as they were factors in our selection of a resort).

Overall, we feel that we received good value and (more importantly) we had a wonderful time. We will recommend the MCG to friends and family. As noted in so many other reviews, the staff are what make this resort really stand out (wandering peacocks don't hurt either-so pretty!). Special mention to gardener Ireno, buffet staff Edel, Carlos, Marile, and waiter Jesus.

Room tip: Room 1225 is spacious, beds are comfortable, located close to pool and buffet. Good location for early to bed/early to rise people as it is far enough fron bars that you can't hear them at night. The balcony overlooks a very pretty private garden area. Only concern is that shower curtain rod tends to fall down :)
    3  Thank shannon b
    Jesus T, Director General at Hotel Camino del Mar, responded to this reviewResponded December 4, 2014

Hello Shannon

Thank you on behlaf of our staff for such a nice report. I am sorry it was so windy when you were here, but Cuba weather can be very umpredictable.

We are sorry that you had some little issues (as you said) in your room and we will take note and review it in order to solve them immediately.

We have two a la carte restaurant: The Italian, Bonasí, and the International, La laguna. We would appreciate if you can contact us and let us know which one you refered to in your review, that was not opened while you were here. We would appreciate it if you can email us directly.

We also express our apologies about the Cigar Bar. Right now, it is opened reguraly from 4 pm to 11 pm.

We are very happy that in general you had a great time while you were here and hope that this first visit won't be the last.
    We will pass your regards to the friends you already made here: Ireno, Edel, Carlos, Marile, and Jesus.

Let us know when you come again and we will do our best to make your next visit an even better one.

Merry Christmas and Happy 2015!

Reviewed November 29, 2014

I feel I am a little bias when writing of our experiences each time my wife and I travel here. We have travelled the Carribean extensively in the past and feel very at home here.
    We feel if you have an air conditioned room, clean sheets, hot running water, amazing food,beautiful beach and the most hospitable staff in the world.......what more do you need !!
    Yes, the resort is 15 plus years old and dated by North American standards, but it is Cuba.The staff continue to outdo themselves each and every time. Carmen, you are the best!! Maryusky, Mary and Michel in Customer service,Maria and the staff at the front desk, Edel in the buffet. Jesus at the Italian Restaurant. Kiki and the team at the Rancheon, Luis, Arlent, Roberto, Wilmer and all the bartenders at the Lobby Bar, Anna, Jose and the folks at the Pool Bar. All of the cooks and support staff in kitchens. Rocky, taking care of the clients at the beach and our chambermaid Niunka.........all of the staff, continue to work hard for all the clients!!!
    Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions about this amazing secret in the Carribean!!

5  Thank Ontheroadagain96
    Jesus T, Director General at Hotel Camino del Mar, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2014

Hello ontheroadagain96

Thank you very much for an outstanding review. We will take you to your word and be expecting you next february for the 10th visit!.

I will make sure to pass your regards on all the people you mention here and thanks for recommending us.

I am sure you will pass our best wihes to your Beautiful Lady.

Merry Christmas and Happy 2015!

Regards

Reviewed November 28, 2014

I was at the MCG for a week, arriving on November 16, 2014. My previous visit there was in June 2002. This time, I was with my 9-year old son. It was my 25th trip to Cuba.

Check-in was quick, but that was because we had taken a cab from the airport (30 CUC). Maikel the bellhop showed us to our room. Before my trip, I had sent an email requesting a 3rd floor room in a quiet area, near the kids club if possible. The wonderful Marily told me they’d accommodate my request, and that’s exactly what happened. Coincidentally, I was assigned the same room as 12 years ago (#1306). When we entered, there was a puddle of water on the floor in front of the door and the sink, likely because of the air conditioner that had been fixed. Maikel made a phone call to ask for maid service, and two camareras arrived within 2 minutes. We went to grab a dessert at the buffet before it closed and when we got back, the mess had been cleaned up. The room is spacious and was kept very clean by the wonderful Tamara. The room faced an inner courtyard near the kids club and dive center. A very quiet area, we slept like logs all week. The AC was very effective. Lots of storage throughout the room.

FOOD & DRINKS
    The food was plentiful and of a great variety. Honestly, I don’t understand how anyone can complain about the food there. There were only 200 clients when during our stay, because half the resort was closed due to the fact that the air conditioning was broken in the right wing. Each meal, the buffet was set out as if the resort was full. Dinner included pasta made to order and two grill stations. The lobby bar is open 24-hours (drinks and coffee), as is the pool restaurant (drinks and snacks, no coffee). For lunch, you have four options: the buffet, the pool restaurant, the Ranchon and the beach grill. I only went to the Italian à la carte and I was disappointed with the pasta arrabiata, but my son loved his cheese pizza! The ambiance there was nice, but the service wasn’t the most attentive, and we opted to go to the buffet for dessert. To my son’s delight, ice cream was always available at the buffet and also at the pool restaurant (until 5:00 p.m.). A beer garden is being built near the beach bar.

EMPLOYEES
    The resort’s staff was truly great – and you can imagine my surprise when two of them remembered me from 12 years ago! In fact, I found the staff to be one of the resort’s best assets. I couldn’t possibly name everyone, but among the standouts were Barbara and her colleagues at the pool restaurant – they were just awesome! But honestly, all the employees were great.

Only one employee solicited me to sell me jewellery as I was heading to my room one time. I didn’t appreciate being hassled, but I chose not to report him, as he wasn’t impolite, just a bit persistent. I'm glad it only happened once though!

The reception staff is probably the best I’ve seen in all my trips. Each and every one of them was courteous and professional. Kudos to the entire team. It was very easy to change money whenever I wanted, there was always change, and it was very easy to arrange for late check-out. I paid to keep our room until 5:00 p.m., as we were scheduled to leave for the airport just after 6:00 p.m. We took a cab again. If you want to do that too, it is highly recommended to reserve a cab ahead of time. I arranged this with the customer service department.

Shout out to Sammy the lifeguard, he speaks excellent English and he is the most professional lifeguard I have met in Cuba.

I also had the pleasure of meeting Carmen Yamely who manages the hotel’s Facebook page, she was very friendly.

POOL
    The pool isn’t very big, but one area is fairly deep (1m40, in front of the pool bar). The liner bunches up in places, but the pool is clean. The place is pretty packed as of mid-afternoon. It must be difficult to find a lounger there during high season. It’s a lovely area, there is a great atmosphere, and I love the fact that you can see the ocean from the pool area!

BEACH
    Lots and lots of seaweed, likely because of high winds during the week. During our stay, the seaweed was not raked every day: no clean up on Friday and Saturday, then the noisy and smelly tractor set to work at mid-day on Sunday. I would expect better maintenance from a Melia.

At low tide, beautiful sandbars form, and people take their loungers there. Unfortunately, most clients are not responsible or considerate enough to put the loungers back on the beach when they are done, resulting in loungers floating in the water and covered with seaweed when the tide rises again. On Saturday night, we counted 22 loungers left in the water – and that’s just what we could see from the pier! On Sunday morning, other guests were pulling the chairs out of the water and clearing them of seaweed. Also, many guests leave their plastic cups on the beach even though there are lots of garbage bins all along the beach. Perhaps this doesn’t happen all the time, but if it’s a regular occurrence, the Melia should assign a beach attendant to make up for the inconsiderate behaviour of guests.

The beach area is lovely, but it must get very crowded when the resort is full.

There was also lots of grass in the water, and unfortunately, there was garbage too – I’ve never seen so many plastic bags and plastic debris on any other beach in Cuba... You can’t fault the resort for that though.

KITE SURFERS
    Lots of them, mostly near the Cojimar resort. Almost all stayed away from the beach in front of the Melia. They are told they cannot come inside the area delimited by the length of the pier, but one of them did, he came very close to the beach and he was actually laughing as he swerved at the last minute to avoid swimmers and the pier...! He did this several times. The regular lifeguard (the excellent Sammy) was at lunch and the second lifeguard was chatting away with the guys at the catamaran hut, it took him a while to react. Only one other came close a couple of days later, he was closer to the Sol CG. Several kite surfers arrived at the MCG on Friday night and as they were setting up their equipment on the beach on Saturday, the security guard came out and clearly explained to them that they couldn't surf near the beach.

Apparently, kite surfers are told they will have to pay a fine if they hit a swimmer, but that's no consolation to anyone who gets hit by that board!

WI-FI
    Wi-Fi is available in the lobby at the cost of 4.50 CUC per hour. It was a bit tricky to log on the first time (one of the reception employees assisted me), but after that, it was very easy. Make sure to sign out of the session, there are instructions on how to do this taped to the reception desk. Loading and ready email was very quick (I use Gmail), as was Facebook. I tried Facetime, the connection was just too slow.

KIDS CLUB
    The kids club is conveniently located near the beach. The attendant, Noelkis, is just awesome and she speaks English well. She was there as of 10:30 a.m., an activity was organized between 11:00 and 12:30, she was back at the kids club from 2:00 to 4:00 p.m., then there was a final activity (game) at the pool at 4:00 p.m. There is no play structure outside the kids club, I believe the resort is in the process of replacing it.

ANIMATION
    There was animation at the beach and around the pool in the morning. Nothing intrusive. I never went to a show at night, so I can’t comment on that.

CONS: The room I had definitely needs to be renovated, it was not worthy of a Melia. Our room was kept very clean by our wonderful camarera, but the mattresses were very soft; the blankets I found in the closet gave me the impression they hadn’t been washed in a while; the fridge was dirty and dented on the outside and one of the racks was broken inside; the bathroom was in sorry shape (stained and chipped tub, rods falling off the towel rack, very poor shower head, fan on its last legs, very low pressure and no hot water in the sink, toilet needed to be flushed for a long time to be totally emptied...). Small irritants if you are prepared for them, but if I had paid top dollar for the trip (as many people do in high season), I would have been upset.

The garden ponds are beautiful, but they are a prime spot for mosquitoes and jejenes (“no see-ums”). I haven’t been this bitten in years, and I saw many people with lots of mosquito bites during the week. It's worse near the lobby at daybreak and at dusk (including the lobby bar’s outdoors sitting area), but I got bitten at the pool at midday as well.

The washrooms in the lobby were clean, but the toilets often didn’t work well (leaking, clogged).

Would I return again? Maybe, it would depend on the price. I’m not sure I would go in high season though, as space is limited at the beach and the pool, and some areas would probably feel a bit crowded for my taste. If I were to return though, one of the top reasons would be the employees – I enjoy receiving good service during my vacation, and the MCG certainly delivers in that regard.

Trip type: Travelled with family
    7  Thank CayoLargo2

Hello Cayo Largo

First of all, on behalf of the staff we send our thanks for such a lenghty and nice report. It was a pleasure having you back after all these years. We will make sure to pass your regards to Tamara, Alex and the crew at the Reception.

Kite surfers from all around the world have been starting to come, and we welcome them to saty here but NOT practice it. They have two spots to practice: west of Sol Guillermo and east of Cojimar. The marina has marshalls and they have to make them follow the rules. The fine is not if they hit somebody but if they croos the limit area. We are working to make the rules applied as it is strictly forbidden to practice kite surf in Melia Cayo Guillermo.

As for the rooms, we have an updating plan for them for next year and i am sure all our faithful clients will appreciate that. This won't mean we will close the hotel as we will do it gradually and starting with the bathrooms.
    About your concern for the jejenes, in our ponds we have fish and the feed on the larvae, jejenes are bred in the mangroves as it is a semi wild spot here, they are very hard if not impossible to control and they can be more numerous if we had a rainy and humid year as this 2014 has been, that might explain why you feel more of them and they are not domestic, so they don't exist in other parts of Cuba where there is human population nearby.

I am sure we will be able to persuade you to come back to see all of us again and i am sure that everybody will be happy to have you back. We will still be in touch in facebook, right?

Wishing you a merry christmas and happy 2015 and hoping to see you soon,