Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
Barby C
King's Lynn, United Kingdom

Looking a bit tired, but brilliant overall

4.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed Dec 14, 2014
I think, for the money, this hotel was over-rated, which doesn't mean that we didn't have a brilliant time. We were initially placed in a room which had a ceiling panel hanging down and a hair dryer hanging out of the wall by wires, but we were very quickly moved when we complained and the new room was very nice. The hotel is small and easy to get around and the beach is lovely. However, the board walk out into the sea, which features heavily in all the promotional photos was in need of repair and there was a large hole in it, which was not repaired despite us flagging it up to customer services immediately. This is an accident waiting to happen. The staff at the hotel were absolutely adorable, with one exception. This member of staff was obnoxious to me personally, but I believe he was addressed about this by the catering manager. The entertainment was very good, with the resident dance troupe performing different sets throughout our stay. There were also various bands and individuals performing throughout our stay and these were of high quality. Although there was little variation in the food from day to day, this didn't mean there was no choice, as the variety of food on offer each day was huge. I was extremely impressed with the food hygiene, noting that the grill chefs used different implements for raw and cooked foods and that the chefs insisted on making sure the food on the grill was well cooked. Also, the food on offer was always hot, which is a big difference from other hotels we have stayed in. If you are a wildlife / bird enthusiast, this is certainly the place for you. The variety of different birds we saw, even within the hotel grounds, was astonishing and we felt like David Attenborough, watching a turkey vulture scare a mob of gulls away from a dead fish on the beach, only to be robbed of it by a caracara, which is a bird I hadn't imagined I would see there. There were also flamingos in the lagoon only about a mile away from the hotel. Oh yes, and one last thing - if you don't try a spanish coffee while you are there, you haven't lived!
Date of stay: November 2014
Room Tip: Try to avoid the rooms above reception.
Trip type: Travelled with family
5.0 of 5 bubblesLocation
5.0 of 5 bubblesService
4.0 of 5 bubblesSleep Quality
Jesus T, Director General at Hotel Camino del Mar, responded to this review
Responded Dec 16, 2014
Hello BaribieCantona

First of all, thanks for making this review about our resort. It is nice to see you appreciated the variety of the food and the hygiene of all the restaurants and cooks, we are always very careful regarding our customer's health. About the pier, it will be removed temporarily because we will inject some more sand in the beach and after that, it will be rebuilt from scratch, nevertheless i have asked maintenance that they fix the pier as much as they can to avoid any accident as you said.

I am sure next time you come you won't have any complaint about it. As for the member of the staff you mentioned, we would like you to e mail us and tell us more details because there is no excuse at all for that missbehavior and we won't tolerate it. It is the first time we have a comment like that and we would like to solve this issue, with your help.

I am glad that you enjoy the bird watching as we have so many kind of birds around the hotel. I am sure you will come and visit us again and try once more our coffee.

Hoping to see you soon, Merry Christmas,

Free parking
    Bar/Lounge
    View more hotels in Cayo Guillermo
    5,829 results
    See what travellers are saying:
    Selected filters
    Reviewed December 10, 2014

I have stayed at this hotel for the past 11 years don't grade this Cuban hotel with any other 5 star hotels you will be disappointed it is 5 star by Cuban standards and fantastic value hard working staff keep the place spotless nothing is to much trouble food is excellent catering for all tastes beach is to die for bathrooms need upgrading quickly all in all a fantastic hotel and staff thank you melia cayo guillermo

4  Thank Raymond B
    Jesus T, Director General at Hotel Camino del Mar, responded to this reviewResponded December 11, 2014

Hello Ray

Thank you very much for such a nice and heartfelt review. As you know, we are working towards updating the bathrooms in the rooms as soon as possible and your suggestion won't go unattended.

We are very happy to realize that you keep enjoying our hotel and services after 11 years and we are sure that you will continue to visit us in the years to come as you are one of our faithfull and well loved clients.

We want to take the chance and wish you, your family and Douglas, Merry Christmas and happy New Year.

Hoping to see you again very soon,

Reviewed December 10, 2014

Firstly let me say that I am not one to visit the same resort twice But there is just something about this place that made me want to return. It is peaceful here, the beach, the grounds, the people, all so beautiful.
    We came here the first time Feb. 2012. After almost 3 years away, one can see the decline in the facility itself. The rooms need sprucing up as does the pool liner. Having said that, the room was clean and comfortable.
    There is great improvement in the food. I was pleasantly surprised at the wider variety at the buffet and really enjoyed my meals this time.
    So, what made me want to come back here? It is the staff. Plain and simple. It is receiving a smile and a hug every morning at breakfast from Eidel and Maiyelena as they ready your table and pour your first cup of coffee. It is Ariana and Mileydis, busy at the lobby bar, still making time to have a laugh with you. It is the gardeners Julian and Eduardo. It is the animation staff putting on their nightly shows and listening to music performed in the courtyard. All of these hard working people go out of their way to make you feel welcomed and cared for.
    If you want to relax and forget about your worries for a little while, then Melia Cayo Guillermo is the place to go. It is a diamond in the rough.

Room tip: we stayed in the 1200 block. quiet.
    • Trip type: Travelled with friends
    Jesus T, Director General at Hotel Camino del Mar, responded to this reviewResponded December 10, 2014

Hello Kat004_11

Thank you for your nice comments about our resort. We are happy that you have so many friends here and value the services of our staff. We will pass your compliments to Edel, Mayelena, Misleidys, Ariana, Julian and Eduardo. We are sure they will be very happy to see that you gave credit to their good services and friendlyness.

We will also pass on your good opinions to our New chefs, they are doing a great job with thier staff, specially in the buffet.

We are sure that you will ome back soon and we would like to express our gratitude for recommending our resort to other people in this site.

Have a merry christmas and happy new year! see you soon,

Reviewed December 4, 2014

After visiting this resort last May by myself, I liked it so much that I couldn't wait to go back and share it with my husband! The amazing beach, the wonderful staff, the quiet and cozy resort...we were both very happy with our stay! Thank you Mayelena. Edel, Ariel at the buffet, aA nd the others whose names I unfortunately forgot: the nice ladies at the lobby bar who made our cappuccinos and espressos in the morning, the pepos who served us at the repeat guests dinner...We felt so welcome by everybody!
    We enjoyed the food, especially the fish at lunch at the Ranchon, the fresh omelets and pastas at the buffet...
    The resort was less than 50% full so no problem getting a good spot on the beach!
    The only reasons I can't give 5 stars: the rooms are in need of some renos (planned for next year I'm told), the public washrooms are frequently missing toilet paper and hand towels, the toaster at the buffet is exceedingly slow...
    But we were very happy with our room (1328): quiet and well located, and loved the mojitos with fresh mint! (Grown on site). I have not enjoyed that in other resorts in Cuba, and it's not that hard to grow a patch of mint!
    It's no wonder we met so many returning guests (papa Stan! Adorable!). Another frequent guest (Ian) told us it's the best kept secret in Cuba And he's right!
    As I said to friends: you go for the sun and the beach. You come back for the people! And I can't wait for my next visit! Thanks to all the staff for our great vacation!

Date of stay: November 2014
    Trip type: Travelled as a couple
    1  Thank Lovecaraibes

Hello Lovecaraibes

Thank you very much for a nice review about our hotel. You are right regarding the rooms, we will be updaiting them as soon as possible without disturbing the clients, it will be done step by step. As for the public toilettes, i am happy to say that we already created a system to maintain them stocked and cleaned 24 hours.

We will be happy to pass on your regards to Edel, Mayelena, Ariel and the rest of the staff. I can also tell you that Papa Stan is coming back soon and Ian is planning for a next visit too. It is true that our greatest strenghts are the staff and the beach.

I am sure we will be seeing you agian in no time too. It seems the best kept secret in Cuba is beginning to stopped being so secret after all as our family of repeat guests is always growing of which we are very proud.

Once again, tahnk you very much for writing about us in this site, we wish you Merry Christmas and Happy new year!

Reviewed December 4, 2014

I have stayed at this hotel 4 times now, It has to be said that the season has not really started yet so there is still a bit of work going on to get it ready but I knew this going out.
    It was as I expected that includes the food the grounds and the facilities available but the thing that makes this hotel for me is the staff, cant do enough for you, they know things sometimes go a little bit haywire or not to plan but to their credit it is fixed straight away.
    If you want a holiday with all the razzamataz of the big city if you want all whistles and bells then this is not the resort for you, however if you want a calm relaxing holiday where if you want you don't have to do anything, but there are plenty of trips and events you can go for then this is the place.
    As Arnie said "Ill be back" Thanks to Judith Alfonso Guilarte for her help pre holiday and a special thanks to all the guys at the bar.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
    1  Thank derekbarbara

Hello derekbarb

Thank you very much for your comments in this site and for in your very own personal way, recommend us to other people, wanting a relaxing and nice holidays.
    I will personaly pass your regards to Judith, our Booking Manager, and i am sure that she will be very happy for it. Also to the guys at the bar.

You are certainly right that our staff is the best asset we have and we are very proud of them.

We are sure that we will be seeing you a 5th time very soon indeed and that makes us very happy.

We want to send you a special Merry Christmas and a wonderful and successful 2015!

See you soon,

Reviewed December 4, 2014

I returned from staying at the Melia Cayo Guillermo last week - this hotel is not star the rating given by Thomas Cook in their brochure

when we arrived at the hotel, only some of the rooms had air conditioning & half of the hotel was shut due to this, the room we were given was old fashioned & one evening we had water pouring through the ceiling and some days no hot water, the food in the buffet was poor and was sometimes cold and the service was not good, the staff could only be bothered with you if you they knew they would get a tip
    Also there were not many staff working in the hotel, so when we wanted to do the water activities included on the beach in the hotel,such as hobie cats and pedalos there was no one there on several days to help us

Also, there is a cigar smoking room in the hotel and this was out of action, my partner asked for this to be opened several time so he could buy a Cuban cigars & have a Rum , we were given several excuses by the hotel, there was no staff or they did not have a licence to open this room.

Also the 24 hr pool bar, there was no menu and all they served was toasted sandwiches & ice cream and on our 2nd week they began to serve french fries, also they did not serve any hot drinks or hot water, this is poor as not everyone wants beer or spirits or fizzy drinks all the time and the staff were not helpful

The Cuban Rancho Restaurant, the food was awful and the menu was the same everyday with no other choice & service very poor

The Italian a la carte restaurant was also very poor quality of food & most people left theirs & the service was poor

Also, the beach bar, only opened from 10am - 4pm and they did a bbq lunch of pork most days which was fatty & again service very poor

Also, its seems like we were on rations for the drinks in our fridge in our room - we had to ask customer services several times for drinks to be put into the fridge

My partner went on a fishing trip & asked the hotel for a packed lunch, the lunch they provided was awful and not edible & he could not eat it

Also the Thomas Cook Rep - Ivan was pretty useless & was only interested in selling excursions & not with the problems we were having in the hotel

myself & my partner were not the only people having issues with the hotel & Melia

i would not recommend this hotel at all & would never return to this hotel

I have been to Cuba several times but this has been my worst experience!!!!!

do not book this hotel!!!!

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
    5  Thank michele c
    Jesus T, Director General at Hotel Camino del Mar, responded to this reviewResponded December 12, 2014

Hello Michelle

First of all we would like to thank you for this review as the feedback from our clients is the best way to improve our services, after all we work for your comfort.
    We are sorry to know that your experiences didn't fullfill your expectations and that you had problems during your stay.

We can tell you, however that we have now a new Chef in the hotel and we have changed all the menus, with a high rate of acceptance. You could realized there have been a good change regrading the offers, services and temperature of the food. Also, we have reached the staff once more and remind everybody that our goal is the satisfaction of the expectations of our clients ate any cost, it has never be a policy of our company to link the good service with the tips and we will be even stricter in the following of this rule.

It is tru that we had sevral days with bad weather and even in days when people cannot notice beforehand that the sea is in bad condition, we are facing the old channel of Bahamas and the current can be very dangerous when ther is some strong wind, in days like those, even if it is hot and sunny, all nautical sports are forbidden by the Marina for safety reasons and that is why we do not offer hobbie cats or pedaloes or similar.

About the Cigar Bar, we had some technical issues there for a couple of weeks which is already solved now and we couldn't open it. This is a new added service we started in the hotel veyr recently, however, we do have a Habano House in the hotel, opened from 9 am till 9 pm in which we sell all kind of brands of cigar so you can buy them there, near the lobby bar and either smoke it in their smoking room or take the cigar to the lobby bar and smoke it there.

The services at the snack bar have been updated, they have now sandwiches, salads, icecream, drinks, frech fries and tea, hot chocolate, coffee and similars.

The menu at the Ranchon includes chicken, squids, frsh fried fish, fish filet, beffe and pork ribs, soups, salads and desserts, among other options, as for the BBQ, we have pork ribs and sausages, hamburgers....

There is a new menu in the Italian and the International Resturant that we are sure would be of your liking.

We would like to ask you to reconsider coming back for a visit again, with all this changes and improvements, the whole hotel without any air conditioning problem and all bars opened. I am sure that if you give of an oportunity we will be able to earn your trust again.

We would like to send you and your family a Merry Christmas wish and happy new year!

Regards,