Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
Tryxxie
Hamilton Ontario Canada

Average vacation for a great price

3.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed Feb 23, 2007
4 of us stayed at the Melia cayo Guillermo for 10 days. Our first time to Cuba. Its was average at best and certinley not a five star. I tipically stay at Riu's, the service is first class.
I have been to Mexico Mayan coast 4 times, Jamaica 2 times, St. Martin, Los Cabos, Manzinillo, Puerto Vallarta, Nicaragua, Cuba. By far Cuba is the most average hotel ive stayed in.

Staff- friendly and hard working and are interested in hearing about you. Any extras you can squeeze in your siutcase, shampoos & toiletries (best to bring toothpaste & brushes) hair brushes, kids cloths and shoes) these people can use anything and are very grateful. we brought baseball gloves and balls, went over very well.

Food was better than i expected although the first night we landed late and were very hungry, pizzeria was out of pizza dough.
I think the best place to eat was lunch at the pizzeria. Try the antipasto bred.( YUM)Overall food was ok.

Bars & drinks- never used the swimup bar much as it smelled like rotten garbage when the wind blew. Lobby bar was great, good drinks. Disco was fun .They let m e D.J for 2 nights. The sports bar is great as well although we did not find it for 3-4 days
They make toasted sanwiches there, as well as around the pool. Good afternnon snack.

Entertainment-We were there for halloween so they put on a good show all day for it. And had a night show as well. As the stage was under cunstructon the shows were held in the front lobby,a nd when finished I dont think people realized there was a disco. So the disco was a little empty but we had fun anyway.(Bathrooms outside disco yucky-shame on you girls-not very lady like)

We aslo participated in daily events like dance class, archery, riffle shooting, volleyball, bingo, mini golf. You can always take a long walk to the next resort as well Sol Melia(not as nice) Theres also paddle boats and kayaks to use for free.

The grounds are matured well maicured and clean. Off the beatten path the gardeners make palm hats and other little things like grasshoppers etc. We gave them a few bucks for the hats. The pool is a good size and is clean as well, check out the upper level where the jaccuzi is great spot to tan, and the resident hawk gets fed there PHOTO OP. Our room :( hard beds/pillows, bed bugs, bathroom in need of repair. Brown outs and water loss happen frquently. The beach is very nice soft white sand, photo ops everywhere Hemmingway peir, hut in water, low tide you can walk out along the sand bars.

BUGS- i was bitten so badly that i had to pay the doctor a visit. He gave me a cocktail intravenis to relieve my itch & swelling as i had an allergic reaction to the bites. Cost $112.00.CND.

Tours- Cuba has some of the best,speed boats awsome, el baga nature park fantastic-got to feed turtles, touch and told the animals. Jeep tour was a whole day, drive your own jeeps, made several stops at different locals, city of Moron, horse farm, mountains, riverboat, alligator farm. Lunch included.

My tips- at Cuba airport pay the extra $20.00 for the V.I.P room its worth every penny. drinks food included, they have soft comfty sofas play movies, smoking room. Make a visit for a couple hours to Pillar beach very nice. there is a hut there to get some drinks, good spot for photos.
All though the resort was just average,we had a great time, afterall it is better than snow & work, and a cold drink on a hot beach is always relaxing. Make the best of it.
Check out the disco photos. YIPPIE. Thaks to all the folks we met form the UK & Canada, had a blast..

Trip type: Travelled with friends
3.0 of 5 bubblesValue
1.0 of 5 bubblesRooms
3.0 of 5 bubblesLocation
2.0 of 5 bubblesCleanliness
3.0 of 5 bubblesCheck-in / front desk
4.0 of 5 bubblesService
3.0 of 5 bubblesBusiness service (e.g., internet access)
    79.8 km from Hotel Camino del Mar
    Free parking
    Bar/Lounge
    View more hotels in Cayo Guillermo
    5,829 results
    See what travellers are saying:
    Selected filters
    Reviewed February 22, 2007

my boyfriend and i just returned from a fabulous vacation at the melia cayo guillermo on february 21/07 .i can honestly say this place is exceptional, from the food to the service everything was outstanding. upon reading some of the reviews i was a little leary, but from the moment we stepped of the plane and on to the bus i knew that the hotel would be beyond my expectations and it was. the landscaping is like the garden of eden, the food plentiful and the fish and pastas were incredible.(just to mention i am a banquet director for a major hotel). the service throught the hotel is first rate, the rooms comfortale. the beach breathtaking. i am in my forties and i have travelled quite a bit, but for rest ,relaxation and pampering there is no better place. please tip your staff as these nice people work 15 hour days and always have a smile on their faces. gifts and money are greatly ,appreciated not one day went by where i did not give out gifts that i had purchased before going to cuba. it was my first time there and i am planning to go back in april....bon voyage

13  Thank cher41
    Reviewed February 14, 2007

Stayed here with my boyfriend and our friends (another couple) from Feb 1 to 8th,2007. I was a little worried after reading the reviews but once I got there ........ I started to think that some people just are just miserable with their lives. This Resort is great! The staff is friendly and respectful. They treat you like Royalty. The beach here is by far the best beach I have ever seen in my life. They have Playa Pilar down the road you should take a ride to see it but I don't consider it the nicest beach there.

Rooms: Are kept clean, they stock your fridge every evening , if you are missing some towels don't panic she passes by twice a day.

The food is good, it is not the best but it is good. I would recommend the Italian restaurant. Jesus (pronounced Hesus ) is just a great waiter/manager there and has a welcoming smile.

Buffet: Breakfast is good, so is Supper they have a little of everything.

Cuban Restaurant: At lunch it is really good, supper I didnt like it that much , the fish was not fresh and i got a little queezy soooo .

Snack Bar: Delicious Ham And Cheese Sandwiches . Yummy!

The bars at the resort are well stocked they have everything from Rum to Dom Perignon.

Make sure you take a little ride with Gilbear and his horse that you may see around the resort . It's 5 CUC worth every peso!

Over all I give this hotel a good 4 star. The only thing that it may be missing is a little more entertainment, They have no music at the pool except for relaxing music like birds chirpping and the sound of waves. It's like that because they have A massage Cabin right next to the pool. By the way if you do go they give amazing massages!

Also, I would like to note that if you do tip you will get treated differently and it's just the same anywhere you might be in the world.

I would recommend this hotel to people looking for a relaxing vacation. Where the days seem long and nothing is rushed. Sit back relax, and just enjoy what nature offers you!

17  Thank Sping03
    Reviewed February 9, 2007

My boyfriend and I wanted to get away for a week and decided upon this resort. It was a first experience for the both of us and were a tad nervous. Needless to say, we worried over nothing! It was an amazing resort. The beach is extremely clean and nice! The water is so clear and warm! The service was more then above average! They are very courteous and friendly and appreciate every little gesture. The food was excellent! A great variety and always fresh and tasty! The deserts were amazing! Try a flambe banana.. you'll be happy you did!! (hmmmm!!!) Every night after supper we went for a walk on the beach and enjoyed the peacefulness of it all! It was all so amazing to be there away from it all! We did a few excursions, the sugar express and the snorkeling! We recommend the both to anyone! The snorkleing was amazing! Got some awesome pics!! Everybody was so friendly it was awesome. We are looking forward to returning this year!! Enjoy your time!!

Date of stay: November 2006
    12  Thank WildCat_34
    Reviewed February 6, 2007

My husband & I just returned from a 1-week stay (Jan 27-Feb 3/07) at the Melia Cayo Guillerma Resort. One word - FABULOUS! It was my 2nd time there - went last year with (3) girlfriends, just to relax! After showing off my photos last year to my husband and friends, I really had no problem returning this year with another couple. It was their first time in Cuba, and our 3rd visit.. We are going back next year!
    The resort is rated a 5* - don't forget - you are in CUBA - this is not the Hilton. If you want to complain, then stay home! These people work extremely hard, long hrs, and are always smiling! they are very happy there - and what do you expect - you're going there for the heat (and let me tell you, we certainly had that), the drinks, eat and be merry!!
    The rooms were cleaned daily, with towels and sheets. Who cares about the stains on the bedspread - you're only there to sleep. Who cares about the furniture in the room - you're only there to sleep. Who cares about the extreme hot water - once in the sun all day, you actually want lukewarm water to shower - it cools you down! But I have to say, we did have really really hot water on some days, and had to turn the tap down a bit because it was too hot and pinching my skin.
    As for the food, I'm the real fussy eater at home, and for me to say I'd return, well doesn't that tell you something. I don't eat fish, but I survived - I certainly didn't starve. Hot dogs, hamburgers, french fries, pasta, beef, chicken, pizza was the best I ever tasted, there was alot of variety. Even the lunches & breakfasts were very good. Their breads, dinner rolls, french sticks, are to die for! Extremely fresh and delicious and the desserts too!
    The beach is breath taking! absolutely fabulous - even at Pilar beach - a MUST see!
    As it was my second visit there, even the nightly shows were completely different - it was all new shows, which was pleasant.
    The staff are extremely friendly - always, always smiling, talking, giving me flowers everytime I saw someone.
    There were improvements compared to last year - a second computer was installed in the lobby, an outdoor patio just outside the lobby bar, also we were able to reserve at the Grill restaurant (The Rancho) for another evening dinner.
    The resort is only 7 years old, and it took them 4 years to build - but for Cuba, this is worth a visit. Ten days would be a perfect stay...oh well, I'll take anything!
    You felt extremly safe there - they won't even try to take stuff from your room. Every morning, I would leave a few items on the bed for our made "Yeisy". She would see my husband sometimes during the day, and would always thank him. She would even leave me a sweet note on the bed...they appreciate everything you give them, and they don't expect it either. Don't forget how poor these folks are. If you go, I would suggest bringing some old clothes and other stuff (like running shoes, jeans, t-shirts, nylons, crayons, etc), as it costs them alot of their cuban money to buy just a pair of pants - and shoes, well forget it...they will do without...this is just a small thought, in case anyone should decide to take a trip to Cuba.
    My husband did take a stroll along the beach on (Thursday) and went to the next resort (can't remember the name, but they had a green bracelet), and started talking to a couple (perhaps mid-forties). They live outside Montreal, and the names are Manon & Yves. He was to return the next day, with myself and the couple we were with, but never made it. All that to say, he didn't get their last name, so, Manon & Yves, if you read this email, please send us an email to ps_michaud@hotmail.com
    All & all, the Melia Cayo Guillermo Resort to us is rated 5, all the way! Send us an email, if you want more details - would be happy to share. Can't wait for next Jan!!! VIVA CUBA!!
    PS...I can't imagine anyone complaining about this resort - you people don't know what you're talking about!

Date of stay: January 2007
    20  Thank securityottawa
    Reviewed February 5, 2007

My husband and I just returned from a fantastic one-week stay at the Melia Cayo Guillermo. We were there from January 27 - February 3, 2007 and had a wonderful vacation. We are age 29 and 32, and travelled with another couple in their early 30's, all from Ottawa, Canada.

This was my third time to Cuba, but our first time to Cayo Guillermo. If you're looking to experience Cuban culture, to do some shopping or to visit historical buildings - this is not the place for you. The closest city (Moron) is an hour and a half away, and Havana is at least a three hour drive! But as long as you know this in advance, I assure you - you will be disappointed.

The location is beautiful, the colors are amazing and the feel around the resort is in one word: calm. I was skeptical of this at first as I typically do not enjoy being so isolated but I was honestly never bored, despite the fact that there (at first glance) seemed to be nothing to do. Please take advantage of what IS available to you and I'm sure you'll have as much fun as we did.

The staff is worth mentioning as they were truly wonderful. I have always enjoyed the kindess and warmth of the people in Varadero, but noticed an extra notch of friendliness here. Tips were genuinely appreciated and never expected. The bartenders were friendly and took the time to talk to you if you so desired. Our maid, Yeisy - was incredible. The best service we've had anywhere in all our vacations. Even the gardeners and security guards went out of their way to say 'ola'.

The food was surprisingly, good! The buffet had quite a lot of variety, and there were two other restaurants that offered lunch and snacks throughout the day. The resort has three speciality restaurants and you're able to reserve at two of them. We tried the Italian and International restaurants and were pleased with both. The decor at the International was very romantic, and the food there was excellent. Please put on your bug spray well in advance as there were many hungry ankle-biters at this location (it's right next to a swampy lagoon area so it stands to reason).

Excursions: if you enjoy snorkelling, you must visit Pilar Beach. It is a short drive away from the resort, approximately 20 minutes by scooter (which I highly recommend you try!) and well worth the bumpy ride. The beach is breath-taking, the sand is even more powdery and white than at the resort and the water is perfectly clear. If you're comfortable in the water and have flippers, please venture to the far left of the beach next to the cliff. There is a natural coral reef there that is truly amazing. There are small jellyfish in the water and many tall plants that you need to watch out for, so please use caution. If you're not a confident snorkeller, you can easily see small schools of tropical fish and several large starfish within the main waters. My sincere plea to all of you tourists, PLEASE* do not take anything from the ocean particuarly conch shells, sand dollars or pieces of coral. These areas will only remain beautiful for as long as people let the shells and coral be. Feel free to pick up (with caution) and look at anything you see, but always put it back as these items - even though they appear dead and/or uninhabited, can and will be re-used by other creatures in the ocean.

The jetboat excursion was equally fun and well worth the money. If you like being on the water and would like to drive your own boat, this is a must. The boats go quite fast but are extremely safe. Even though you feel like you'll tip over, I gaurantee you won't.

Other than that, please take advantage of all the free activities and areas of the resort that are included with your booking. Take a salsa lesson, play volleyball on the beach or in the pool, play bingo, watch the evening shows (the Cabaret Night was my favorite). There is a bowling alley that is off the resort but only a 2 minute walk and only 2 peso's per game. It's a small alley with only three lanes but very modern with automatic scoring, glow-in-the-dark balls and bottled beer for only 1 peso!

I give this hotel two-thumbs up and would recommend it to anyone. As I mentioned before, as long as you're aware of how isolated and quiet the area is - you'll be certain to have a good time.

Please email me if you have any questions, I'd love to help out!
    kellygregoire@yahoo.com