“Fantastic fishing and food”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Club Grand Slam

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Punta Allen
Club Grand Slam
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Punta Allen
Providence, Rhode Island
“Fantastic fishing and food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2012

This was a return trip--last year made us certain to return. Changes we found had mostly to do with the upgraded accommodations: larger rooms (now 4 in total) and a second floor eating area. Lupita's food was again to die for, with the best molle of my life by far. Only problem: none of it was resistable and I gained a few pounds.

The fishing was terrific even though the weather conditions were not. We caught lots of bonefish, had shots at permit, lost a HUGE snook at the boat and had a fantastic time catching "baby" tarpon in remote backcountry. Our knowledgeable and personable guides steadily put us on fish and were totally into it all day.

Club Grand Slam continues to top my list, and it's a bargain to boot.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2012

I could use this review to tell you about the great folks that run this place or I could tell you about the great food or the coffee waiting for us when we awoke and the margaritas waiting when we finished fishing. I could tell you about the great conversations with Captain Greg and all the bonefish, snook and good shots at permit. it is all good as they say but let me tell you about my last day fishing with Francisco and Jesus.

We saved the last day for a tarpon trip as it is a long ride (1.5 hours) to get to the tarpon promise land. I had never fished for tarpon but my fishing buddy has quite a bit of tarpon fishing under his belt. I was pretty excited to say the least. Once we got to bays and channels that hold tarpon we were on fish. I had the first shot at two rolling fish but they wouldn't eat. In fact the next 20 fish wouldn't eat or even follow our flies which we were rapidly changing to try and find the ONE. After lunch we were getting pretty frustrated but poled into a small lagoon and spotted two huge tarpon. I launched a popper and one of the fish exploded on my fly. Had no idea they would strike like that. Needless to say, I jerked the rod and failed to set the hook. As the day started to wind down we found a long stretch of mangroves with rolling tarpon. we took turns throwing at them and missed a few but nothing to the boat. Our guides really wanted to put a fish in the boat and kept us at this spot a good hour after we sh haouldve to left to be back at the lodge on time. That is above and beyond in my book and only the best guides go the extra mile like this but we are just getting started! After leaving a hour late we are cruising through the mangroves when my buddy spots a tarpon. Francisco immediately shuts off the motor, grab his pole and says lets catch that fish. I grab my rod make two cast and hook my first tarpon and bring it to the boat. I was absolutely thrilled and very thankful to two guides for going to extra mile so I could have the experience. But that’s not even the end - we spend another 30 minutes chasing another fish so my buddy can have another shot. we didn't find that fish but talk about effort on the part of our guides to get us fish.

I don't fish with guides often but I have done enough to know how rare this level of service is. Great guides that loves to fish. I had the back seat in the boat and on more than one occasion could hear soft singing from back of the boat as we headed out to fish in the mornings. Great trip made great by great people!

Room Tip: all rooms are the same simple and clean
1 Thank Travelerhaslanded
Weeki Wachee, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2012

having fished many lodges in bahamas and south america i can honestly say this is one great value. greg and lupida are natural hoast. the guides are very professional. food and lodging are superb.
warren parker

Eagle, Idaho
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2012

A week with Lupita and Greg is the best value in Mexico for fly fishing. The guides, food, and accomidations are all excellant. our group of 4 all have only the best to say about our week. We had excellant weather and fishing. many fish were caught and released, including many bone fish, a large Tarpon and a huge Snook. One of our group got a grand slam. We will be back in the future to spend time with Lupita and Greg.

1 Thank Harry W
San Diego
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2012

Very peasant week. Super friendly, first rate establishment. Safe and clean. I've been fishing at Pt Allen for over 15 years, clearly things have evolved a lot. The entire experience was great!!!

weeki wachee fl
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2012

Great week. Missed the slam, but had multiple mult-fish days even with high winds. Guides are total pros.
Greg and Lupita treat you like long-time friends.

Food and post-fishing Margaritas outstanding!

Jon57fishing

Homosassa, Florida, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2012

Thank Lupita and Greg for being such great hosts. If you go ask for Antonino, he is a very dedicated guide and love to fish!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Punta Allen
Sol Caribe
#1 of 13 in Punta Allen
0.6 km away
GrandSlam Fly Fishing Lodge

Been to Club Grand Slam? Share your experiences!