All reviews zing zing the indian river private beach villa attendant zabuco honeymoon villa the cliff coconut beach trafalgar falls granola tibay beach lobster infinity pool lion fish champagne reef natural beauty rum punch plantain chips
Reviewed February 19, 2012

My husband and I stayed in the Ti-Fey bungalow for 5 nights in early February. We have visited several other Caribbean Islands and were looking for a destination that was a little more remote with some great hiking. The reviews on trip advisor led us to Secret Bay and we were not disappointed. You will not find your typical all inclusive scene of pool bars, music blasting, kids screaming in the pool and crowded beaches. What you will find is a beautiful secluded place tucked away in the trees. If you enjoy hiking, kayaking and snorkeling you will find that Dominica has plenty to offer and with virtually no one else around. We did two hikes that took us into the rainforest high atop the mountains that led to a beautiful lake and waterfall. Pristine views and a really great hike. The kayaking at the beach just below our bungalow was excellent. You can be out there for hours and not see another person. Anastasia and the entire staff at Secret Bay go above and beyond to make you feel comfortable and accommodate your every need. The Ti-Fey bungalow was perfect for a couple. The pictures on their website were accurate and the views were better than we expected. The first floor has a small couch and full kitchen with a large deck with a table and two comfortable lounge chairs. The views of the bay from the deck were breathtaking and we enjoyed eating breakfast on the deck each morning. Upstairs was the bedroom and bathroom, again all with open views of the bay below. Anna will contact you prior to your arrival to stock the kitchen with food items. We got some snacks and breakfast items along with bottled water and beer. They restocked any items we needed and bottled water was available at all times which was a huge plus for us. There is an outside kitchen called the Sous Shack which will prepare any meals you request. We had lunch and dinner most days and eat either in our bungalow or at the table alongside the Sous Shack. The food was the best we have eaten of all of our many travels. The meals were fresh, organic and just delicious. I am a vegan and had no trouble. Lots of grilled vegetables, pumpkin rice, lentils and beans all seasoned with local flavor. We highly recommend having dinner one evening at a local restaurant call Iguana Cafe. Just tell Anna and she will make the reservation and arrange for a taxi. The eclectic couple that own Iguana Cafe prepare some amazing food in a tiny two table restaurant that will be an enjoyable experience that you will be sure to remember. We had such a nice dinner, my husband had a full lobster that was caught a day earlier, and I had a creole vegetable and rice dish that i wish I had the recipe to duplicate. The food prices in Dominica overall were inexpensive that was a huge plus considering what they charge in other places for lesser quality. We live in NY and getting to Dominica was easy. We flew into San Juan on American Airlines and then had a connecting flight to Dominica. Secret Bay includes airport transfers in their room price and they were there waiting for us upon our arrival with nice cold bottled water. There is no need to rent a car during your stay, the roads are very windy and narrow so leave the driving up to the taxis. Anna will arrange any transportation you need and we found the drivers to be good tour guides. The island is very casual so pack light. I brought several summer dresses that I never wore and did not need. Shorts, t shirts, bathing suits, and some casual skirts and tops are all you need and Keens and hiking shoes are essential.
We hope to visit Dominica again and stay at Secret Bay it truly is a gem.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Tracy C
Reviewed February 16, 2012

Secret Bay is as unique and special as the island of Dominica and to experience both in one trip is magical. My husband and I visited three different caribbean islands and Dominica was both our favorites, in large part due to Secret Bay. We stayed in the Mapou bungalow, which is small but has everything a couple needs. Walking in to the bungalow for the first time and seeing the amazing view out the living room windows, I knew this place was for me. Then, after a quick walk up a spiral staircase I was thrilled to discover the same amazing view out the bedroom as well. The bed, by the way, is fabulous - looking at pictures on the web site I worried it might be a hard mattress, but it was the most comfortable bed (and pillow) I've ever slept on - and to lay with your head on your pillow and look out a wall of windows to tree tops, ocean, beach and cliffs was heavenly.

I should note that the only bathroom in the unit is upstairs and the spiral stairs are not the easiest to manoever so I would not recommend this bungalow (or Secret Bay at all) to those who have difficulty walking.

I could have spent the entire time in the bungalow, but my husband and I like to explore so we were off everyday hiking, swimming, kayaking or driving around the island. We were affectionately named by the staff as the "busy bodies" because we were up and out each day. Dominica is a beautiful island and this is our second trip to this island, so believe me I don't mean anything negative when I say it is not as developed as some islands. They have made great strides in the road conditions, but driving is challenging and takes a bit of getting used to. Also, there are not many new, luxurious places to stay on the island - I would venture to guess Secret Bay is the nicest place to stay on the entire island.

Quality places to eat are harder to find on Dominica than other caribbean islands and it is a big island so driving around the island to sample different restaurants is not very practical, which makes the cooking service offered at Secret Bay that much more attractive. To clarify, as I didn't understand this prior to arriving at Secret Bay, the resort offers cooking services either in your place or in a separate building. If they cook your meal in the separate building, you then have the choice of the food being delivered to your place or you can eat it at the outdoor seating near the beach where they prepare the food. If you stay 5 or more nights, there is a one time shopping/delivery fee which at the time we stayed there was $18.00, then the cook prepares the meal(s) for free - charging you only the cost of groceries. They do need at least a days notice so they can get the shopping done - but with that one time fee they will run to the store for you as many times as you need - whether they are cooking for you or you simply run out of bread and need a loaf delivered to your place!

The staff, especially Anastasia, go out of their way to help with anything you need. There is a washer/dryer combo in the unit and they offered to do our laundry for free. I personally did not take them up on this and did the laundry myself, but I thought that was an amazing offer that I haven't found in any other travels we've done. They even provide you with a cell phone so you can call them anytime, whether in the unit or out exploring the island.

After we left Dominica we went to Anguilla, and though Anguilla is a beautiful island, I greatly missed my evenings on the deck at Secret Bay, watching dozens of large birds find their sleeping place on the nearby cliffs as the sun was setting. We slept with the sliding doors open so we could hear the ocean and feel the breezes all night. We never even needed the air conditioning! We have traveled the caribbean extensively, and seldom go back to the same place more than once. I do believe, however, that a third visit to Dominica and Secret Bay is in our future.

Thanks Secret Bay, and Anastasia, for all you did to make our trip memorable. We can't wait to see you again.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank islandtraveler41
Reviewed February 13, 2012

Secret Bay raises the bar for luxurious places. The arthitectuural detail and setting are unbelievably fabulous and the attention to detail was first rate and amazing. This place will blow you away!. I will dream, hope, and pray to return.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Tierney D
Reviewed February 7, 2012

Mix one part Swiss Family Robinson, two parts Wallpaper Magazine and a good dose of Brazil ’66 (think Oscar Niemeyer and his ability to make concrete sexy) and you might be getting close. We spent a week at Secret Bay this past January and we were wishing it were more like a year. It was our first trip with our 3 month-old, and it felt like we were on holiday with ten sets of grandparents, instead of two. The staff were unbelievably kind, and seemed to have everything figured out before I knew to ask. If I thought “coconut” in my head, one would somehow magically appear (I actually think they have ESP). Choosing among the highlights of Secret Bay is a futile task; unlimited snorkeling in toothpaste coloured water, the organic food box delivery, Rose…Rose’s cooking, breastfeeding at sunrise nestled among the treetops in TiFey, the architecture that made me feel like I was stepping off the pages of Vogue – even in my flip-flops…

This place is what you imagine when you are asked to go to your happy place. Congratulations to Gregor, Sandra, Anna and the incredible staff who make this place so unique.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank EmilyMcInnes
Reviewed February 1, 2012

Seecret Bay is truly a secret, romantic haven. The staff are incredibly helpful, always attentive to your every need, always smiling and kind, it makes such a big difference when you are miles away from home and from your comfort zone. Whatever is required, the staff at secret bay take care of every last detail, from treks, to sightseeing, to romantic dinners in local restaurants. And when opting to eat in, the food is simply delicious! All homecooked, and it definitely shows. Zabuco is definitely worth every penny, it is, simply put, one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen. It's not easy to get to from Europe, but definitely worth it!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple