“Our time at cricket” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Chard
Totnes, United Kingdom
“Our time at cricket”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2012

We had a visit in November, concierge members only, what a fantastic visit, we felt like we were really valued and special, one of the best visits ever, they pulled out all the stops! Would not hesitate In going again!
Recently, what a great week, celebrating a birthday, I felt I really mattered, everyone could not do enough to make my stay special, not only would I come back but so would the friends that came with me! Cricket is the friendliest and the most wonderful setting I have come across! Will definitely be there later in he year! Try it you won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: Go for signature, mat be mor but worth it!
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
cricketstthomas, General Manager at Warner Cricket St. Thomas Hotel, responded to this review, 8 June 2012
Hello,

Thank you for you lovely review, I could not sum up what we try to offer better than you have. An opportunity to do as much or little as you wish is exactly what we try and provide.

I was pleased you enjoyed the Concierge service we offer for our loyal guests to make things that little bit more special. I look forward to seeing you again this year.

Ian and the team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (660)
Kenty
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2012

On arrival, the setting of this hotel is enchanting, it was a lovely day in Somerset. We had arrived for our first break together since the kids arrived. No KIDS on the website, great we thought !

At the entrance there was a line-up of mobility scooters and zimmer frames with wheels. Then as we walked to our room an aroma that took me back...to Great Aunt Agnes and her OAP's home !

When booking this break I asked what age groups stayed in the hotel, I was informed a wide variety, not a lie, the variety was 75-90's. At dinner we were the only martians, no oxygen mask, zimmer, walker or scooter, sandals and white socks 'le rigeur'. I wanted out after the first night following the cheesy entertainment, cha-cha-cha and quiz.

The second night was 70's night, I was totally confused, was this music from the 70's or the minimum age of the attendees?

Whilst drinking a latte the following day in the delightful patio garden, over the singing birds, I could hear the rattles of someone with breathing difficulties, then paramedics going to assist another combatant that had fallen over came tearing past. Luckily we had only booked for two night(mare)s.

There are positives, the food is very good, the gardens and buildings are a dream, the staff are very polite and helpful, and will tell you that there is normally people of all ages staying at the hotel.

I am still in shock ! Why did I think it would be any different ?

Room Tip: If you have a mobility scooter go for the ground floor !
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Algi67
cricketstthomas, General Manager at Warner Cricket St. Thomas Hotel, responded to this review, 5 June 2012
Hello,

I was sorry to read that your recent break was not what you had hoped for. Whilst it is true we do appeal mostly to the 55+ age group we do welcome guests of all ages. Although you have highlighted in detail your thoughts on what you experienced I was pleased to see you balanced this with a fair reflection of some of the great qualities we have at the Hotel.

Thank you for this and please accept my apologies we were not for you.

Ian Gyte
fareham
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2012

I couldn't really fault the (A) Entertainment (B) Food (CThe standard of accommodation (D) Facilities .(E) Grounds and settings. (F)(Politeness of staff .
All in all I had a very nice peaceful weekend. I would recommend that if you have severe walking difficulties that you ask for a room near Reception. I am not a great walker but I didn't mind the 350 yards from my room to the dining room as I considered it mild exercise ! The swimming pool was good. The hotel is mainly on one level so I had no problem with stairs.
The entertainments team are first class...The shows would not be out of place in the West End . The resident band is also very good.
The grounds are a delight and are mainly wheelchair friendly.
The peace and quiet is exceptional..If you want to be alone ,no problem. Or you can join in although there is no pressure to do so ..
I will be going again...the sooner the better..

Room Tip: The walled garden is first class but a bit of a walk to meals etc. Although to compensate it is near...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank neddy703
cricketstthomas, General Manager at Warner Cricket St. Thomas Hotel, responded to this review, 26 May 2012
Hello,

Thank you for your comments on your recent stay. I was so pleased to read you enjoyed your stay and embraced the facilities, entertainment and restaurants we have at Cricket St Thomas.

I will pass your kind words on to the entertainments team and we look forward to seeing you as you put it " sooner the better"

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2012

Just spent three nights at this great hotel in a lovely location. Very efficiently organised, with extremely friendly, helpful staff, and good food, Everything in the room worked as it should from the hairdryer to the shower and was spotlessly clean. Would highly recommend.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank ipetesut
Hello,

Thank you for your lovely concise review on your recent stay with us. I was delighted to hear we met all the standards of friendliness and high standards of room and food as well.

I hope you will return to see us in the near future.

Truro, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2012

My husband and I were very excited about staying at this listed house and very much looking forward to relaxing in the grounds and sampling the food at the Italian restaurant. I chose this hotel due to the fact that it was adults only and I wanted to celebrate my wedding anniversary in style. It became quite apparent when arriving that we were not go g to fit in! The looks, tuts and general rudeness of the other guests was nothing like I have ever experienced before! Ok we were the youngest guests by about 40 years (no exaggeration), and ok we're are not of conservative appearance, but the judgemental and down right rudeness was so humiliating, and insulting, that when actually eating in the restaurants we asked to be seated discretely away from the other guests as I just couldn't accept this behaviour any longer. Credit where credit is due, the staff were amazing and when I was close to tears on the second evening, the staff accommodated us and sat us on our own away from the hostile and judgemental guests. It came to a head when my husband and I were called "disgusting scruffs" by a man in his 70's within our earshot and without any attempt to hide his contempt for us. I returned to my room and decided not to come out, as this was one step to far! This must be a one off, surely.... No it is not! We witnessed rudeness from a number of guests towards the staff who were so obliging and simply did not deserve this sort of behaviour at all!
I had such high expectations of this venue, but I will NEVER set foot in another Warner Hotel, I left this morning in tears, despite the kind check out manager reassuring me that this had never happened before!
I work hard for a living and for once spent my money on what was meant to be a romantic and relaxing break, if I had wanted to spend the weekend locked in my room I could have stayed at home! We didn't experience any of the entertainment the hotel had to offer and would sincerely suggest that any people who are 70 and under and have a little bit of alternative style do not use this hotel!
This is not the fault of the staff at all, just the type of cliental who frequent this particular venue!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Sarah B
Hello,

Whilst I was delighted to read that the hotel and team delivered great standards of accommodation, food and entertainment for you it was disappointing to read of the experience you encountered with a few fellow guests.

I can assure you that this is something I have never heard before, the majority of our guests are aged 55+ but all ages are welcome and many of our guests strike up friendships with other guests and the team in a great atmosphere.

I do hope this isolated incident will not stop you trying one of our properties sometime in the future.

Devon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2012

The worse weather in Somerset for over 100 years couldn't spoil our recent stay at Cricket. We have been many times and the management are improving those things that need to be done and keeping the things which are outstanding as they are. All the staff are friendly and professional and the Entertainment Team go out of their way to ensure everyone has a good time. Their West End style show is up there with the best and late nights with Neil Graham are not to be missed - this is one talented guy and one of Cricket's biggest assets.
We upgraded again to an Historic Room - the additional benefits are well worth it plus of course the individual welcome and assistance of the ever charming Betty. If you can't stretch to a room in the Manor House go for a Courtyard Room as the rooms in the walled garden are a bit of a walk but close to the leisure centre / pool / gym etc if that is more you type of thing.
The grounds are now maturing nicely and each stay has got better and better.

Room Tip: Manor House for decadence, Courtyard for location and Walled Garden if you are going to use the leis...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Hello,

Thank you for your lovely review and I am glad you have noticed the progression in our standards, grounds and entertainment over recent years.

It was nice to hear you treated yourself to an upgraded room for that extra luxury and that Betty looked after you on arrival, We all look forward to seeing you back again very soon.

Ian
Kilmarnock, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2012

This was our second visit to Cricket St Thomas and overall it was excellent. We had a Contemporary Royale room which was spacious and very quiet. The staff are superb, very friendly and helpful. I would prefer the Italian resturant to improve the menu choices as it was the same as last year. Breakfast is very crowded and not relaxing. I feel that when you pay for an upgraded room you should have a decent table at breakfast with some room to move and not have to listen to other conversations. I also feel that the sequence and linedancing should be confined to the time before the live entertainment. These 'dancers' have an hour, plus time during the day to use the floor, let's have some ordinary dance/disco time from 9.00 p.m.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank undian
Hello,

Thank you for your review on your recent stay, I was glad to hear you enjoyed an upgraded room in one of our Royale rooms. To answer your comments on Fenocchi's Italian restaurant we always look to change our menu 3 times a year so hopefully when you next visit it will offer you some new choices.

I will pass your comments on to the relevant department heads and I hope we see you again soon.

Ian
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chard
5.0 km away
18.8 km away
Dower House Hotel
Dower House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Rousdon

Been to Warner Cricket St. Thomas Hotel? Share your experiences!