“The best thing about this hotel is the location! The rest is poor!!!”

Papantonia Hotel Apartments
Ranked #36 of 65 Hotels in Protaras
Reviewed 17 September 2011

The location is great, 2 mins from shops, bars and the beach. 15 mins walk into town but a really lovely walk couldn't be in a better location but sadly that's where the story ends because the rest is.. (i am trying desperately to think of putting this nicely) poor. Never ever again!! Actually to be fair the cleaners where lovely ladies who work hard to clean our room daily (although on the first night i found two lower body hairs in my bed) but apart from that the rest of our stay the room was cleaned to perfection. The hotel is dated im guessing at least 30 plus years old and the furniture, beds etc show it. We opted for self catering and with just one ring to cook on there was no option but to eat out which was a blessing for me....The staff were ok. If you have young children i do not recommened you stay here as the entertainment was deafening...I do not mind what time people stay up to and watch whats going on,they should stay up as late as possible,they are on holiday after all, but the volume is so high that it was like going to bed in Wembeley Arena, it was truely that bad and if you dare tell any member of staff about it (hotel manager or entertainers(the woman) they wash their hands with you and blank you or give you horrid looks for the rest of your stay .........Don't ask for anyone to agree with you or tell you they will look into it, or get it resolved they just want a arguement about it...You could close all your windows and put the so called air con on to drown the noise, but it doesn't agree with me i like to have fresh air (was i asking to much?) Seriously if you have worked hard all year, saved your money and looking forward to a nice holiday abroad, run a million miles from this place especially if you have young kids.

Room Tip: a good room can be found away from this place
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
6  Thank lola s
There are newer reviews for Papantonia Hotel Apartments

Reviewed 15 September 2011

Just got back from a 10 night stay at the papantonia and must say it was very good value the rooms were clean and comfortable air con did the job and cooled the whole apartment my 15 year old son didnt suffer from hot sleepless nights in the lounge area.The food was good plenty of choice in the evenings and the breakfasts very good.The staff were freindly and always on hand to help danny and kelly worked hard to get people involved in poolside games evening entertainment was a bit bland but we always went out and about to the bars.We would come again well recomended

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 September 2011

It is really nice place to stay. You have nice pool area with bar, where you can buy food and drinks. Rooms were quite big and were cleaned everyday. Staff was very frinedly and you have few pubs just at the corner, but we felt their were more expensive than those in protaras. I was there with my friends and we felt that the area was very quiet and beach wasn't great, hotel is about 20 min walk from main protaras as it is in paralimni. we have got bus few days and went to nissi beach which is magnificent. Cyprus us great fun and food.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with friends
3  Thank aanneekk
Reviewed 8 September 2011

We have just returned home from a brilliant 2 week stay at the Papantonia! 2 adults and 2 children aged 15 and 6.

I was concerned about only having air con in the bedroom but after no mention in reviews I went ahead and booked. There was no need to worry the air con in the bedroom cooled all of the apartment and made it a comfortable temperature. If anything some nights we were too cold!

The rooms were basic but comfortable. They could do with modernising but they are kept very clean.

The staff were always very helpful and couldn't do enough. If there was ever an issue it was always sorted promptly!

The entertainers worked very hard, Danny and Kelly to keep everybody entertained. They did have to deal with a very abusive holiday maker who moaned about the noise from the bar, but we had a poolside view over the nightly entertainment and we all managed to sleep through when we wanted an early night! The music always finished by midnight and some nights earlier! The person who moaned was ok to have the noise on nights he wanted it!!!!!!

There were always sunbeds available around the poolside! Some people did get up early to reserve but this isn't necessary! For all day sun get the beds opposite the bar, we sat there in the sun until after 6pm most nights!

The pools were always cleaned every morning, some days the water was clearer than others this depended on amount of people using and sun cream!!! Some of our swimwear did turn yellow from chlorine this was due to hotels in Cyprus conserving energy so more chlorine was used this was tested daily and always a safe level..... Be prepared for some discolouration, don't wear White!!!

Craig the holiday rep was really knowledgable about the island and could recommend places to visit and restaurants to eat in!

Overall a brilliant 2 week stay! Excellent value for money, for a 3 star hotel!!!

• Stayed: September 2011
2  Thank Elbrown76
Reviewed 26 August 2011

I am actually writing this from the hotel, and I am so angry that the room I am staying in has very poor air conditioning. It is boiling hot, and so I am having to stay in the room next door with the rest of my family. We booked two rooms back to back, and so we are all squashed in there. Also, the noise from the so called entertainment is deafening. To sum up, a waste of my hard earned money. Never again!!!!!!!

Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 August 2011

We have just arrived back from 11 nights at the Papantonia (10th ~ 21st August 2011).

Yes the hotel is a bit dated but it is a 3 star but more importantly it was clean and in a great location between Pernera and Protaras.

On arrival we were given our keys to room 325 which is the top floor with a pool and sea view - I had emailed the hotel a week before arriving which seemed to do the trick so I would recommend you do this if this is what you'd prefer.

The room was a little disappointing as air / con only in bedroom and not in lounge - my wife and two daughters slept in the bedroom and I slept in the room but had hired a huge fan from reception which helped (14 euro & 20 euro deposit which I go back on the last day). I think people need to remember that this is a 3 star hotel and ultimately you only sleep in your room.

We also paid 2 euro for an extra key which we left in the slot 24hrs a day and this allowed the air / con to stay on all the time and meant the whole apartment stayed nice and cool. If you haven't been to Cyprus before then in July and August it averages 35 degrees in the day.

Regarding food, I can't comment as we stayed self catering and not all inclusive so we eat out each night.

The pools were good sized and cleaned everyday although not the cleanest to be honest. We also never once had to get down early for a sunbed - there was always beds available no matter what time of the day you needed them.

There is also good entertainment day and night for both children and adults. The entertainments team (Kelly & Danny) work so hard even though there is only two of them
- really need at least one more to help out as they seemed to work from approx. 11am to 12am everyday.

There is a beach approx a 5min walk - Marlita beach but is quite small and rocky but great for snorkelling and watersports. There is also a great water part in the Anastacia Hotel which is a 5min walk.

Many pubs and places to eat on the doorstep if you didn't want to venture into Pernera or Protaras. The Station, The Spectrum (where I watched all the sports), Only Fools & Horses and Marlito.

There is also a boardwalk which runs along the beach which goes all the way into Protaras and a leisurely stroll will get you there in around 15 ~ 20mins. This boardwalk also has a selection of bars and resturants along it.

Main places to eat in Protaras - Only Fools and Horses, Red Indian, Flintstones.
Main places for good entertainment in Protaras - Ghetto Bar, Sphinx
Main acts to catch - Outrageous Misfits, Abba, Elvis and Micheal Jackson.
Main Places to eat in Pernera - The Spectrum, The Station, Windmills, Speedy Gonzales (Mexican)

All in all a great holiday with everything you need on your doorstep.

Craig, our rep was fantastic, very helpful and knowledgeable.

Things to do - Water Park in Anastasia, Trip to Farmagusta (all day) and hire a car.
We hired a Jeep from Platon at 34 euro a day and visited the Troodos mountains, Fig Tree Bay, Nissi Beach and many others including the church under ground.

The Papantonia was a great base and I would certainly recommend it.

Regards from the Hughes Family (Cardiff)

Room Tip: Email hotel prior to arriving and request higher room with pool view. If you are on the 3rd floor yo...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
7  Thank SunTan_14
Reviewed 23 August 2011

Only returned after spending 2 weeks,travelling with my husband and 2 children 13 and 12. I have to say that when we arrived we were given our room key (232) which is looking out over the car park, we were not one bit happy. We went back down to reception and said I was not taking this room and wanted another and I was told that I would have to wait and see the manager in the morning. First thing next morning I spoke to the manager and he said that their wasn't any more room available but when my husband went down all of a sudden there was one ready, which moved us to a pool view on the ground floor. I never take a room on the ground floor I would rather be up a little higher but we were told that all the other rooms were in use, but I got that very hard to believe. We had to pay €25 to change.This is mainly for the maids to clean the room again. The room we changed to was (007) it was very clean, and the view was good. You do not get enough storage space in the bedroom. Its €28 for the safe box for 2 weeks and €15 for one week. The maid we had she was good but had bad mornings she would go round banging doors and some times she would only make our bed and would not make the kids beds. Our welcome meeting went very well and one thing I have to say that Craig was very good in all the information he gave. The entertainers were fantastic Danny and Kelly, its not fair that there is only 2 of them there should be a lot more they did the best they could. Danny is very good at the break dancing. There is no need in getting up early for a sunbed as thier is plenty for everyone. The supermarket is very close and there is also a good pub right beside it called The Station Bar, it has very good acts on every night eg, The Outragious Missfits, The Blues Brothers, Drag acts, Micheal Jackson and followed by karako that goes on until 1.30am. I would recommend the Fools and Horses for the Sunday roast dinners in beef or chicken only €7. I would also recommend another very nice restaurant called "Oscar" across from McDonalds sign in Protaras. The Ripples Cocktails Bar and snacks is also another lovery place to eat. I would say that a trip to the Waterpark in a must for everyone its very good. We booked this trought Craig because you were colledcted and dropped off without any bother. We also booked The Black Pearl Pirate Boat, now this was very good and well worth it.

Room Tip: When checking in ask for a pool view.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family