All reviews owners were friendly hotel is perfectly situated four poster excellent hosts quiet location the leeds liverpool canal stayed recently welcomes pets nice view of the garden yorkshire dales music festival friendly hotel full english hospitality tray on arrival rooms are clean great place to stay
Reviewed August 7, 2011

We have just returned from a two night stay at this family run hotel and were very impressed with the friendly helpful service we received. We ate in the restaurant and the food was excellent and deserves the AA Rosette status it has been awarded.

Date of stay: August 2011
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank montmerency
fiverise5, Owner at Five Rise Locks Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2011

Dear montmerency

We are really pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and the Food. Many Thanks for the review and we hope to see you soon.

Richard, Margaret and all the Family

Reviewed July 2, 2011

I joined some friends for a meal at this restaurant and hotel last night. It has a very picturesque setting with ample parking. The dining room was very smartly set out and not over crowded. There was an excellent choice of dishes on the menu. We all had something different and really enjoyed it. Exceptional value for money. The staff were very welcoming and helpful. The service was quick. I would certainly recommend giving it a try and will be visiting again soon.

Thank you for a very enjoyable experience.

Date of stay: July 2011
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank bridget71
Stoylee, Owner at Five Rise Locks Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 5, 2011

Hi Bridget 71
We are really pleased you enjoyed your meal with us
Hope to see you again soom

Reviewed June 29, 2011

I received a friendly greeting from the owner and the Basset Hounds room was small but ample size for one. The one issue that I had was that the morning sun was shining in which woke me a little too early. Breakfast was very good too.

Date of stay: June 2011
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
Stoylee, Owner at Five Rise Locks Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2011

Thank you very much for taking the time to review our Hotel. We are delighted you were comfortable and enjoyed your stay. We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Richard and Margaret ( and Ruby and Tilly (the Bassetts))

Reviewed May 29, 2011

My partner and I stayed here for one night to attend a masquerade at St. Ives Golf Club just 5 minutes away. The hotel is a great place and provides good service. They happily reserved a taxi for us on check in. The hotel has a relaxed and smart atmosphere. The breakfast was excellent and very quickly served. The room was quite big and clean, but was looking a little dated and would benefit from renovation. The room looked out onto pleasant gardens and all in all was a great place to stay!

Date of stay: May 2011
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed March 28, 2011

Upon pulling in to the car park I was not impressed, the photos on the website are very deceptive. Entering the hotel the first thing to greet me was a damp, musty smell. The way to the reception desk was unclear and check in was far from slick, having to ring a bell and wait to get attention, which is not wanted after an 8 hour drive. At first it was unclear if the woman who came to the desk actually worked at the hotel as she wasnt wearing a uniform, at no point in my stay did i see any uniforms. On the way to the room was when we first noticed the heat! The hotel was constantly too hot, uncomfortably so, especially when trying to sleep.
The room I was in was small even for a single, the bathroom tiny making showering difficult, the cover on the bed was stained, the whole room was in need of a good deep clean and was finished to the same low standard as the rest of the hotel, as if it was a DIY job. On the website it mentions free wifi, there was no mention of this anywhere and I did not pick up any networks on my phone.
After a disturbed nights sleep due to the heat, and my mum and sister being awoken by the owns dogs barking we headed down to breakfast, served between 8.30 and 9.30 on the weekend, even Sundays. I found this too early and rather a short space of time seen as we were out quite late both nights. The cold buffet was poor, 4 types of cereal, some tinned grapefruit segments, unpitted prunes, grapefruit juice, orange juice that certainly wasnt fresh and on Sunday mornign they manage to stretch to some apple juice. The cooked breakfast was good with 2 exceptions, the sausage was of very poor quality and the plate looked greasy with big thumb prints round the edge, very off putting. The newspapers they provided were The News of The World or The Times, not a great selection.
Check out was again not great,again having to wait as we had to disturb the family breakfast in the public dining room (an uncomfortable feeling) unless the 2 basset hounds behind the desk were going to check us out.
Overall the hotel is far from its boutique claims on its website and more or less a family run bed and breakfast, scruffy with a poor finish through out and not as clean as we felt it should be.

Date of stay: March 2011
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank 271zackb055
fiverise5, Owner at Five Rise Locks Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 29, 2011

Dear Its me again,
Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay with us here at Five Rise Locks Hotel. We are disappointed that you didn’t enjoy your stay with us here. Having read through your comments I find that some of the issues could have been resolved if you had mentioned them to a member of the family. We don’t wear uniforms at this hotel as we are a family run business and feel that the “corporate” feel of uniforms is not what we are trying to offer to our guests. The wifi is free and a code can be accessed from any member of staff for you to use. However, I have also found that some of the comments are actually incorrect. If you would like to discuss this further with a member of the family then we would love to talk to you about your experiences.

Many Thanks