“Never again!”

Hotel Palazzuolo
london
“Never again!”
Reviewed 16 June 2011

The only downside of an otherwise wonderful holiday in Italy was the week I spent at this hotel with an organised walking group. (The walking was wonderful)! The bedroom was adequate although the bedding - including a rather unpleasant brown blanket - had seen better days, and the bathroom was very good. That is the end of the good news. Breakfast was just about adequate but the one type of cheese and ham on offer was very "plastic" and cheap. Apparently some tepid brown liquid in thermos flasks was coffee. Dinner was worse and reminded me of a works canteen meal. The restaurant was charmless, there was no choice whatsoever and five poorly cooked courses were doled out onto the plate infront of me. Infact there was a choice, one spoonful or two. I stuck with one. After dinner coffee was another thermos flask of tepid brown liquid. The owner of the hotel had the same lack of charm as her restaurant and her deputy was equally surly and uncommunicative. One evening I had to ask for another bar of soap at reception. The owner gave me one. The next night I found that whoever had cleaned my room had still not left me with a new bar. I went again to reception. This time the owner reacted to my request by saying "but you've got soap!" Although our group was full-board I actually ate dinner out on three of the seven nights and several times went into town in the morning to have an expresso and patisserie. Why go to Italy and not be able to enjoy some decent food - and coffee - even if it did cost me extra. I felt - and of course this is my personal opinion - that the owner of the hotel was trying to get away with cutting corners where possible and benefitted from the fact that most guests were on organised walking and cycling tours and she was therefore not directly responsible for complaints. Several other small clues reinforced this impression. Although the television in my room had CNN news it did not have BBC news. This was the third, 3-star hotel I stayed in during my trip and the only one where this ws the case. There were also no tissues in the bathroom and a mishmash of cheap wire and plastic hangers in the cupboard. Lastly, in the carpark at the rear of the hotel, ws an overturned and overflowing dustbin that stayed like that during the entire week and a pile of plastic chairs and some rusting bits of furniture. It is obvious from my review that I would not recommend this hotel to anyone especially if one looks forward to enjoying some good Italian food and a pleasant atmosphere.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank backhand

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
San Francisco
Reviewed 28 May 2011

I reviewed this establishment 5 years ago and was none too impressed at the time. I returned for a 4-day visit to the Val d'Orcia this spring and am pleased to say things have improved significantly at the Palazzuolo. The staff was friendly and efficient. Breakfast selections were excellent and ample, and the sleeping experience was very good. The hotel could use some TLC on the exterior -- possibly some yard work, paint and other refinements. But all things considered, it's in decent shape and is a pleasant enough home base for your visit to one of the best parts of Italy. I believe they're adjusted their prices a bit, as well -- at least the off-season rates. I believe I was charged less than 60E/day for a single use double during Easter week. Pretty good price/value comparison, I'd say.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank BagnoCaldo
Hong Kong
Reviewed 14 October 2010

We spent two nights here as part of a walking holiday in the area. The hotel was a fairly standard Italian 3-star, with decent-sized room and bathroom. The afternoon/evening lady spoke good English and was helpful; the girl on duty in the mornings was less forthcoming. Our package included dinner, which was quite good but overwhelming -- five courses plus a salad buffet. It's a 10-min walk into the centre of San Quirico d'Orcia, which is a charming old town. The Palazzuola has a pool but it was closed when we stayed there.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank meigingtoi
Surrey
Reviewed 28 September 2010

We stayed in this hotel for two nights as part of a walking tour of Tuscany. The other hotels we had stayed at were lovely and, really, Hotel Palazzuolo came as a shock to the system and it is difficult to describe our disappointment.
To start at the beginning - our arrival. We were 'greeted' (!) by a person who turned out to be the hotel manager. At first he was reluctant to stop reading his newspaper, eventually he looked at us and raised his eyebrows in question. We immediately christened him Basil but really Basil Fawlty had some charm and charisma this man had none. Check in was accomplished with very little spoken communication, he waved his arm firstly in the direct of where our cases had been left and then in the direction of where our rooms might be found! The rooms - badly decorated and poorly furnished with an extra chair/singlebed taking up much needed space but it was reasonably clean which is more than can be said for the shower room. The public rooms were not much better. The restaurant had all the appeal of a school canteen. The bar was large but only had two sofas so far apart that conversation was difficult. Bar staff were thin on the ground as they doubled up to wait at table, which brings me to THE FOOD. There was some sort of attempt at genuine Tuscan cuisine but I think it was sacrificed to the cost of ingredients. Dinner was a set menu, antipasti, a soup course, first course, second course and dessert. Menu planning was non existent. At one meal we had a pasta course with a beef sauce followed by beef stew. Most courses were served lukewarm and on our second night the pasta was so cold that we sent it back. The re-heated serving was almost inedible. The desserts were definitely from a school canteen menu. Breakfast was slightly better but there was a very large walking group staying in the hotel as well and there wasn't too much left for our small group when we went to breakfast.
The hotel is situated on the edge of a housing estate which made it quite difficult to find .
The swimming pool and surrounding gardens were good but the pool temperature seemed to be kept at sub zero and far too cold to even paddle in the shallow end.
We had walked about 20kms on the day we arrived at this hotel, our longest day's walk, and it is difficult to describe the disappointment we felt about this hotel. 'Basil' was just as uncommunitive at checkout as on our arrival.
Our rep was aware of the deficiencies of this hotel and said the company were trying to find an alternative.
The only thing nice to say about this hotel is that the staff (apart from the manager) were very friendly and helpful and worked hard in what seemed to us very trying circumstances.
...........and finally. To anyone who has stayed there earlier on this year - NO - the air con hasn't been repaired yet.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends
7 Thank Smithy87
Roeselare
Reviewed 4 February 2009

We stayed 6 days at this hotel and had a really good time there. The rooms are rather simple but very clean. The swimming pool is also clean and certainly big enough. Breakfast had not great quality, but the supper was really very good and the sight from "la terrazza" was fantastic. From this hotel you can visit a lot of beautifull cities (Siena, Montalcino, Montepulciano, Pienza...)

• Liked — Supper, swimming pool
  • Disliked — Breakfast
  • Stayed July 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank goldflute
San Francisco
Reviewed 18 May 2006

My wife and I have stayed at the Palazzuolo three times in the last four years. The hotel is well-situated, has clean rooms and a decent restaurant. However, it's hardly a bargain for this area at ~110E for a double. In addition, the front desk staff is aloof and they stand idly by as older English hike/bike tours run roughshod over other guests. On multiple occasions, we've been (alternatively) told by their guides that we needed to vacate our table in the restaurant to make room for tour members (false) and that the breakfast buffet was for the exclusive benefit of the tour (false). We can more or less rely that tour members will bull rush the buffet and subject other guests to some of the rudest most boorish behavior I have witnessed in my 20 years traveling in Central Italy. To make matters worse, tours coalesce in and physically block the lobby between 8-10am. Kind requests to move aside are met with cold stares and non-compliance. We have considerable experience in this area and can attest there are many less expensive and more hospitable establishments. We've been a little hard-headed about the Palazzuolo due to its very central location. This is no longer enough for us, and we won't be back.

• Stayed May 2006
7 Thank BagnoCaldo
Also consider these accommodations in or near San Quirico d'Orcia
0.7 km away
Hotel Palazzo del Capitano Exclusive Wellness & Relais
Hotel Palazzo del Capitano Exclu...
#2 of 4 in San Quirico d'Orcia
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,146 reviews
1.1 km away
Casanova Wellness Center - Hotel Residence SPA & Beauty Farm
Casanova Wellness Center - Hotel...
#3 of 4 in San Quirico d'Orcia
Albergo Le Terme
#2 of 3 in Bagno Vignoni
6.9 km away
Il Chiostro di Pienza

Been to Hotel Palazzuolo? Share your experiences!