“One Small Drawback”

Ranked #9 of 24 Hotels in Scheveningen
South of England
“One Small Drawback”
Reviewed 6 October 2008

I concur with the other reviewers; this is a nice hotel in a handy position for the Zwarte Pad tram terminus. I was particularly impressed by the evening food, which was outstandingly good value, and the general welcome that I received.

My room (223) looked out of the back, which was no particular problem, but my second night confirmed my suspicion from the first - the bed had bugs in it.

I told the young lady when I checked out. She was suitably apologetic (you could see one of the bites on my hand) but did not offer any recompense.

If I could be assured of a bug-free night, I would gladly go back.

• Liked — Value
  • Disliked — Bugs
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled solo
2 Thank MrOrganist

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Overijssel
Reviewed 16 September 2008

The hotel was good to reach with public transfer from The Hague. Just a minute walk from the tram terminus at 'Zwarte Pad'. The first thing we saw was the beautiful sea. And right there was the hotel! Just across the street. We had a (small) room with a double bed (2 separate beds). We didn't liked the bed so much, it's always nice to sleep in your own bed again ;) In the room was also a table with 2 chairs, a desk, a minibar, tv, phone and radio/clock. There was a small built-in wardrobe behind the door. Our room had a (recent renovated?) bathroom with a shower/bath (little small for 2 persons), washbasin and a toilet.

The staff was friendly and so was the breakfast. We had lunch on the pier, pancakes and poffertjes (?) and at Lekker! (across Sealife) We had our dinner at the italian 'La bamba' down on the promenade and at the mexican Tex Mex in front of the Kurhaus.

The hotel was just a minute away from the promenade with the restaurants, shops, beach, the pier and the beautiful sunset.
We had a great time and in spite of the not so great weather there was enough to do in the area. For example, you can go to Sealife, there's a cinema, a boulevard train and you can go bowling.

• Liked — The view
  • Disliked — The bed
  • Stayed August 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank le0nietje
Paris
Reviewed 8 September 2008

Good-size single room (with double bed (140x190cm), 2 nice chairs, table, desk, wall-mounted flat-screen TV & small built-in wardrobe) & small newly-renovated bathroom with shower, washbasin & WC (no shelf for toiletries in the shower). The room (no. 127) was recently renovated with a comfortable bed and good-quality sheets. The hotel is handy for the sea-front and promenade and the room was ready when I arrived at 3pm. The room was at the back of the hotel so I didn't hear any noise from the bars on the sea-front but as mentioned by other guests, the walls are very thin and you can hear noise from adjacent rooms and the corridor. In conclusion, I think the newly-decorated room with en-suite bathroom is good value for 65 EUR a night.

• Liked — Cleanliness
  • Disliked — Noise from adjacent rooms & corridor
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 March 2008

SITUATION: On the sea front, a stone’s throw from the tram terminus at Zwarte Pad and within spitting distance of about a million sea-front restaurants. The restaurant has a wonderful view of the pier and the setting sun in the evening.

VFM: When the firm's paying, I always stay in the Aquarius, as they practically give the rooms away. It’s European 3* (UK 2 ½*) but punches above its weight.

ACCOMMODATION: The rooms themselves are clean and adequate. You're not going to spend THAT much time in them, so if they are a bit small it really doesn't matter. If you pay a little extra you can have a sea view. Definitely worth it.

CHARACTER: it occupies a number of sea front houses, each with its own front door. It also offers self-catering as well as normal hotel accommodation. The restaurant theme is New Orleans jazz. Delightfully non-PC.

STAFF: I have always found the staff to be fine. They all speak English (and German and French...) but are patiently appreciative of one’s painful efforts at Dutch. They cope well in a full restaurant and always have a smile, which makes a difference.

CATERING: In addition to being both a hotel and apartments the Aquarius is it also a very good restaurant. I don't usually eat in the hotel where I'm staying but the last time I was working in The Hague, I stayed at the Aquarius and ate there every night. We visited Scheveningen on holiday this Easter and decided to have dinner at the Aquarius on the Saturday. As ever, the meal was first rate. I had an enormous (I mean VAST) seafood platter for my starter and then had ostrich for my main course. Both were excellent.

• Liked — The view
  • Disliked — The steep (typically Dutch) stairs
  • Stayed March 2006, travelled on business
1 Thank Victor_Ludorum
Washington, DC
Reviewed 10 November 2007

I was in this area to see The Hague, and somehow didn't realize that this hotel wasn't really in The Hague until I got there. So I was a bit grumpy when I learned I had to take a 20-minute tram ride from the train station, and was pessimistic about finding the hotel after I got off at the end of the line in a seemingly desolate area. Fortunately, I was pleasantly surprised. The hotel is right around the corner from the tram stop, and RIGHT across from the beach. The staff was friendly & helpful, and my room was quite large and had a great sea view. The next morning was sunny and not too cold, and I took a nice, long watch along the wide beach. Just wonderful.

• Stayed October 2007, travelled solo
2 Thank AG1
Also consider these accommodations in or near Scheveningen
0.1 km away
0.9 km away
Hotel Mimosa
Hotel Mimosa
#3 of 24 in Scheveningen

Been to Aquarius Hotel? Share your experiences!