“This place is a very good holiday base for cycling”

Club Med Opio Provence
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Opio
GreenLeadersBronze level
Manchester, United Kingdom
“This place is a very good holiday base for cycling”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2012

We are seasoned Club Med users, but we have never a) been here as a couple (usually with 3 or 4 kids) and b) this early in the season (end-March). We wanted a week away cycling and so we picked this resort due to the proximity to a number of good road bike routes - coast and mountains.
By the way - on this note alone - its a great base - lots of rides in the 500-1000m climbing and 40-70 miles length - perfect for a 10am start and a 2-3pm finish.
The rooms were better than we normally got (4T vs 3T - our "usual" was a big upgrade) but the rest was the same - great food with a french passion for quality, silly evening shows and good service - not the sycophantic type - the "we are equal" type which i appreciate very much.
Transfers were excellent with a top of range E class Merc estate that gobbled up 2 bike bags and a couple of suitcases and then whisked us up the hill to Opio in 20 minutes.
Practical help/assistance was very good - we kept a racing tandem bike in their staff room all week with no complaints and every day a couple of the GOs wanted to know "how far today" when we returned.
Great to have the golf restaurant open until 4pm for lunch - sometimes the climbs back took a bit longer than we expected.
I admit to being biased - i really love Club Med, because they care about the things i really care about - food, drink and adventure.
In fairness i am writing this to sort of balance some hideous reviews i have read - whilst they are no doubt true in their eyes, perhaps Club Med is not everyone's cup of tea and so read between the lines and ask yourself what is it you are looking for.

Room Tip: I think that the balcony rooms look very nice and perhaps we should have splashed out a bit more and...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Nonayama
ClubMedUK_official, Manager at Club Med Opio Provence, responded to this review, 2 May 2012
Dear Great Member,

We would like to thank you for your loyalty to Club Med, and also for writing this great review on Trip Advisor after your stay in our Opio en Provence Resort. We are glad to see that you and your partner enjoyed your week cycling and enjoying the quality of the food, the comfort of your room and our staff dedication and friendliness.

We are also glad to read that you share the same values as Club Med, and we hope to see you again soon in one of our Resorts – with or without children!

Your Club Med UK Team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Canterbury, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2012

This is not an intimate or even large resort but a conference centre with over 40 weeks of bookings a year, and a resort attached.

You are only as important here as your cheque book......

We are here 'Right Now' that is last week of March 2012, and are a couple with three children, (twins nearly four), and another nearly two.

The rooms are small, contain glass and ashtrays our rooms, a view of an office with staff working so you cannot open the window.

There is no air conditioning as we are told its not school holidays for France so they are not going to switch it on. Great except its 23c all week here, and our boys are melting.

No mini bar if you wanted one, nor an ability to buy newspapers or such unless you have a car (we do).

On that note you have to walk down about 50-60 (about a 100 metre descent in total for the whole trek) cement steps to get to the car park, and get given aggro by security when saying you want to drive up to the top to pick up your children. Disabled - forget it.

If you like to booze and play golf and have no kids and are not disabled then party on.

The main restaurant is basically a canteen of c400 seats surrounding a buffet and with the army regimented timings here, forces everyone to get food in the same 2 hour window. Small children - beware. Intimate - no way. Charming - yes if you are blind.

If you give your children glasses and adult sized forks and knives age 2/3 then ok, otherwise accept the inevitable! (they have no other options for you bar 6month old baby food and plastic spoons, even in the kids restaurant).

Want ice cream? No its not the French school holidays - the first time I have ever heard that one. We drove to the Carrefour in Opio, and bought magnum ice creams after offering to pay for electricity to run a freezer. You must remember there is a flavour of 'mean' or 'cheap' here, and the overriding 'the Conference people get it, you live with it'

Want a swim at 5.30pm, forget it, pool closed.

Want to teach tennis, forget it for children, its not the school holidays.

Want to use a open air playground, with three items, not even a swing, on stoney ground, and feel you would have been better off going to your local park - come here.

As there was not many bookings for the clubs - guess what - they took the option best suited to saving them money - they merged 4month old upyewards clubs with children hitting four years old. Not working for us - we pulled out twin boys out.

There was also no children in the clubs when we were there being taken swimming. Why - its not French school holidays.

Read the brochure that petit club is 9-5.30 and 7.30-9, perhaps but you pay extra for the latter times.

Want a diet coke at the buffet (your struggling with three young ones) - nope 'self sir' aka go get it. Which is fine, but its a near 100 metre walk there and back, and no trays given!!! I hope you have five hands.

The baby section if a microwave, a fridge, and some 6month olds food, in a corrider - ignore the lies in the literature. Also no pyjama club.

Want to talk to the hotel manager - tried that, he neither talked to me, returned my calls, or even had a person come to ask us about our concerns. Still awaiting a refund on the cancelled petit club – even though we have a signed and stamped document, apparently more red tape needed.
Is the food good as everyone says – well bread and cakes standard for the location (basically its what you get from 85% of French bakeries/ not a Paul’s pattiserie or a Laduree by any stretch of the imagination!!!) Rest is nice yes but you can do better of course and not Michelin rated. Breakfast is usual fare in a large place, however if its not on show, don’t waste time asking here, we did for poached eggs… As the canteen is so huge is it intimidating for small children, especially as there are many adults from conferences walking around.
There is no family only area – so want to eat/drink near the pool, expect smoking in your childs face. Remember the conference people forget it’s a family resort as well its is after all there jolly.
Mountain bikes a cost.
Sauna and stream room is about 150 metres from the pool, up two floors, and decked out like a brother explains why not used when we were there.. Every hotel I can remember (EVER) has it all together – simply weird.
Most other parents we met were not enjoying this place, one left this morning. y
The room for reference think Travelodge in the UK, and your near the mark - 3 star at best. No mini bar as an extra point.
A positive – SFR 3g coverage everywhere – ignore what else you here, and so much cheaper than the pay for wifi internet – as of course no computers to use on site.
I could go on, but I want some sleep. Want to visit Nice, rent a hotel, and eat there or out, and use the hotel babysitting – will work out so much better. (P.S. babysitters not linked to the hotel, so something bad happens, don’t ask clubmed to take responsibilitity).
Overall if we came here, with no children I would still hate the ‘canteen’ style restaurant they are pretending is 2 restaurants, the parking staffs’ attitude, the manager’s cowardice to talk to me, the ‘NO its not on this week attitude’. Have these people not heard THE CUSTOMER IS ALWAYS RIGHT, or at least PRETEND HE IS , DON”T RUB IT IN EVERY DAY.

Room Tip: phone Sofitel!
Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
7 Thank andrew f
ClubMedUK_official, Manager at Club Med Opio Provence, responded to this review, 24 May 2012
Dear Club Med Customer,

First, we would like to thank you for taking the time to put your comments on Trip Advisor regarding your holiday experience in our Opio Resort. It is only with constructive criticism such as yours that Club Med will be able to monitor and improve if necessary, the standards and quality of services offered in all its Resorts worldwide.

We are very sorry that the services you received in that particular Resort did not meet your expectations.

We understand that you had the impression that our Opio en Provence was a Resort more reserved to MICE clients. We have been advised that exceptionally, at the time of your stay, it was a busy period for corporate events. However, kindly note that as per our brochure this Resort is a family friendly Resort with Kids Club Med available for babies, young children and also teenagers.

We have noted your comments with regards to the size of the rooms and the view. Taking into consideration the fact that you and your family were in interconnecting rooms, it is unfortunately the view available for that room category and you were advised of that fact by our Chef de Village on site.

We understand your concerns with regards to the absence of air-conditioning and the fact that it is turned only at certain times of the year. As we previously said in the letter we sent to you, the Resort Management has full control over the heating/air-conditioning around the Resort.

We understand your comments about the absence of a fridge in your room. Kindly note that we do not have fridges in the room category you booked but they are available in ‘suites’. Unlimited cold beverages are available around the Resort.

With regards to the availability of newspapers on site, we understand your comments and have now forwarded them to the relevant departments in our organisation for their attention.

We also have duly noted your comments with regards to the main restaurant being very busy. However, please note as mentioned in our letter to you that the Resort was functioning at a high occupancy level which caused facilities such as the restaurant to be busier, than normal.

With regards to your comments about the Petit Club Med, it was not closed. However, on the Monday, the Petit Club Med manager on site took the initiative to gather the children from 20 months old to 3 years in a room in the Baby Club Med area since there were not that many children registered. Furthermore, the Petit Club Med was to be reopened on the following day as new children were supposed to arrive.

We can assure you that all your comments have been taken most seriously and forwarded to the Senior Management in France for their attention so that improvements can be made if necessary.

On behalf of Club Med, please accept our renewed apologies for any inconvenience caused during your stay.

With regards to the declaration form that you’ve signed on site, for your information, we do clearly stipulate on all our declaration forms the following information:

‘ It is specified that this declaration form is to be completed by the GM identified above at his/her request and that under no circumstances may the signature of a Club Mediterranee representative on this declaration be considered as an agreement to make a refund of any kind whatsoever’.

Kindly note that there is no equivalence between the trident ratings and the star ratings used in the regular hospitality industry. The ambition of Club Med is not to sell the same product as our competition or as a classic hotel company but to actually stand out and offer something different to our guests.
Club Med is an experience. The concept of the trident ratings is one of the particularities that make Club Med what it is.

We can assure you that Club Med’s policy is to make sure that our guest received the best service as possible so that they can enjoy their stay as much as possible. We can confirm that your comments has been forwarded to the relevant departments in our organisation and to our Chef de Village on site for their attention.

On a more positive note, we are glad to say that this matter has been now settled and your wife accepted the offer that we maid i.e. a refund of the cost for Petit Club Med for the twins and an additional refund of 20% of your accommodation cost.

We appreciate your constructive feedback and we now hope that despite the issues that you have raised we will have the opportunity to restore your faith in our company during your forthcoming stay in our Valmorel Resort this Summer.

Your Club Med UK team
Wimborne, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2012

We arrived at Heathrow around 6.30am to be told that my family of four myself, my wife and my 3 & 4 year old sons were not booked on our flight to Nice. Club Meds offices did not open until 9.00am. I telephoned them and was told by an incompetent life form that someone would be back to me within a couple of hours!! Great anyone tried to keep two young children entertained in an airport for 5 hours?? No other flights available that day. After 4 or 5 phone calls from me (not Club Med keeping me informed) I was told I would be put up in The Sheraton Heathrow for the night, what a great way to start our holiday. I walked my kids around London spending cash left right and centre, including on insanely expensive parking. All of this when I should have been on an all inclusive holiday in the south of France, spending nothing.
Having got back to the Sheraton Heathrow and having possibly the worst meal in history we watched tv all night in our seperate rooms in the hope of going on holiday the next day. On check out I was given a bill for £331 for my stay, which I had to pay, icluding £17 parking, in a hotel that I should not have been in!
On my return and numerous complaint letters I was offered an £18 refund. Club Med had worked out that a day in Opio was worth £349 as I had enjoyed the hospitality of The Sheraton Heathrow at a cost of £331 they owed me £18. Of course they are comparing like for like, would anyone in their right mind book a family holiday in The Sheraton Heathrow??
The Resort; Met a family who had been booked Business flights on the next available flight out of Heatrow on our original day of travel. Met another English family who were driving home after one day as they hated Opio so much.
Kids Clubs are taken in French so great for 3 & 4 year old English children, ours left after one day! Rooms dark and dingy.
I wanted a bottel of water for my room, the spotty kid behind the bar informed me that wasn't allowed. I couldn't buy one either. I had to have a small plastic cup, pathetic.
If you are adults who want to be treated like children then this is a great resort. We came home early as we couldn't stand it any longer.
Club Med have never heard of customer service, they shouldn't be in business.
After five mails to their incompetent customer servives dept I was offered £18 compensation and a £250 voucher for when I book my next Club Med holiday, are they insane?? Would I ever want to put my family through another nightmare like this??
I gave them ample opportunity to recover their customer service, what did they do? Nothing? They never had the decency to mail me back. A truly shocking and disgusting experience, you have been warned!!!

Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
12 Thank sazza448
Dear Club Med Customer,

We understand that due to an oversight on our part, you and your family missed one night in the Resort.

As mentioned in the letter that was sent to you, on behalf of Club Med please accept our sincere apologies for the distress and inconvenience caused to you as a result.

We also understand your comments with regards to the rooms you were allocated. You got two interconnecting rooms as this is the room type that you booked and it does not include a balcony.

With regards to the lack of English in the Kids Clubs, as mentioned in the letter sent to you, our Kids Clubs are “English speaking” and there were three English speaking GOs at the time of your holiday for each one of these clubs. Indeed, even if the Resort is mostly occupied by French customers, it is only fair to say that we try to welcome a more multicultural clientele. However, we cannot guarantee that there will be a high percentage of English speaking children at the Kids Clubs.

With regards to the fact you and your family left the Resort earlier, as we were advised that you arrived in the Resort a day later due to our oversight, we decided to extend your stay for one day. We have also been advised that you decided not to use that one extra day for professional reasons.

On behalf of Club Med, please accept our renewed apologies for the distress and inconvenience caused on this occasion.

Furthermore, we realise that you were expecting a larger amount of compensation. It may help if we explain our approach to calculating and offering compensation. We paid for the night you spend at the Sheraton Heathrow, the restaurant bill in that same hotel, and the London Heathrow parking receipt. We extended your stay in the Resort for one day that you actually did not use. We therefore considered that it was fair to offer you a refund of the cost difference between the one night you missed in the Resort and the night you spent at the Sheraton hotel.

We also offered you a refund for the cost if the Petit Club and as a gesture of goodwill considering the distress and inconvenience caused to you and your family during your stay, we also offered you a £250 credit valid against a future Club Med holiday.

To date, we unfortunately have not received any response to the letter we sent to you.

We can assure you that Club Med’s policy is to make sure that our guest received the best service as possible so that they can enjoy their stay as much as possible. We can confirm that your comments have been forwarded to the relevant departments in our organisation and to our Chef de Village on site for their attention.

We appreciate your constructive feedback and we now hope that despite your misgivings we will have the opportunity to restore your faith in our company by welcoming you and your family again in one of our Resorts in the not too distant future .

Your Club Med UK team
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2011

Just returned after 9 nights at the Club Med in Opio en Provence. It was an incredible vacation.
The food is above any possible expectations. Every night there is a theme for the buffet: seafood, Spanish food, Italian, French/Provencal, World etc. There is also a dress code every night.
The variety of foods presented was mind-boggling. Everything was fresh and of great quality. I can't think of anything that I wanted and did not have there: unlimited raw oysters, escargots, mussles, smoked salmon, baked and grilled salmon (and many other kinds of fishes), frog legs, lamb (cooked several ways), lots of French cheeses (Mmmmm...), paella, maki, samosas, truffle ravioli, foie gras, caviar...It was a food festival at every meal...alcohol was included except for champagne, VSOP...On top of all this, a show every night...All the shows were very dinamic and entertaining...and then after every show there was a party!!! Can you beat that???
All kids activities are included. My son did archery for the most part, the pool was great too. For adults there was golf, tennis, darts, ping-pong.
There are daily walking tours which are also included. One of them takes you to an olive oil mill, they have you see the production process, teach you about the different kinds of olive oil, taste some olive oil samples and then you have an opportunity to buy some. It was very affordable in my opinion, so I got some.
Another nice thing was that the Club Med hosts (they call them G.O.) come and eat and talk to you on most days. It's very enriching to find out what young Europeans are up to.
Of course, things were not entirely perfect. I have requested in advance a ground floor room, because a person in my party had some knee issues and it was difficult for her to climb steps day in and day out.We were assigned on arrival a room on the 3rd floor ( no elevators!!). They were able to move us only 3 days later. The people who were transferring the luggage were also on the slow side. Towards the end of my trip, when I asked to have my boarding passes printed (there is no complimentary internet access), the receptionist seemed rather challenged, went to the back office and returned 30 min later w/ a printout that was NOT the boarding pass (just a check-in summary). I had to return after his shift was over to see another GO who completed the task in 5 min...
But overall these were small issues, and the food- drinks-entertainment- activities available surpassed my highest expectations...
Can't wait to book another vacation w/ Club Med...not necessarily in Opio...Florida sounds good too!

Room Tip: The room is pretty basic. We spent close to no time in the room so I did not care.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Helengrace2323
lake zurich
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2011

Went to this resourt on a Business Awards outing and was very disappointed...this property has seen its better day...run down and mold in the showers...front desk not very helpful or friendly and the property is out in the middle of no where...if your going to the South of France this is not a good reflection of what can be found there,,,very run down, dirty and the food was terrible...there was a smell in one part of the eating area that was horrific...later determined to be a storm sewer that was locted in the outdoor eating area..smelled like some one had been cleaning fish...

Room Tip: Find somewhere else to stay
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
7 Thank dhert
Singapore, Singapore
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2011

A very average Club Med to me, worst of all comparing to the club med in Asia. Service is very slow, staffs are not polite and welcoming. And the bloody aircon is not working at all! Was told by staffs that the aircon will only work on certain time of the day! This is bloody crazy!!! Some chalets in my own country better than this. And is really funny they don't serve breakfast till 0730 hours!! We were leaving at 7am to catch a flight and was told the breakfast will not be ready till 0730 hours! We left the place with empty stomach and disappointments...

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JSKF
Harrogate, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2011

Very happy with the holiday I had here at Opio, this is my fourth time at a Club Med and as they were all 4 trident I have to say that on facilities alone this was certainly the best! It’s amazingly clean and the even the economy room I has was really nice, light and airy. The Spa, Pools, Bars and Restaurants were wonderfully set out and the food surpassed all my expectations for choice and quality. My jeans feel very tight after 5 days there!

I booked the accommodation via the website and because of the poor choice of flights offered on the website, I booked my own. I then arranged my transfer to the resort direct with Club Med and was picked up by a top of the range car at both ends, so arranging to get there is no hassle at all. It does lack a little of the ambience of the other Club Meds (especially Da Balaia in Portugal) as it’s not costal and is a least twice the size of the others, but most of the GO’s are friendly enough and the shows were excellent as well as the Crazy Signs! Reception Staff need a bit of organizing though – they don’t appear to be organised and it was late in the season!

Only one area of improvement could be the excursions as they do not offer transportation with them – so a trip to Cannes will be a 100 euro cab fare if you can’t blag a lift, but is only a minor point, but it means that some of the excellent things offered like a catarman trip are not all that easy to get too.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
5 Thank Sara_bal
ClubMedUK_official, Manager at Club Med Opio Provence, responded to this review, 30 September 2011
Dear Great Member,

We thank you warmly for the time you took to write this review on Trip Advisor after your stay in our Opio en Provence Club Med Resort. We are really pleased to see you had good time there and you enjoyed the food quality and our G.O. commitment.

We hope to see you again soon in one of our resorts.

Best regards,

Your Club Med UK Team
Also consider these accommodations in or near Opio
2.2 km away
Hotel La Perouse
Hotel La Perouse
#4 of 204 in Nice
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,226 reviews

Been to Club Med Opio Provence? Share your experiences!