Phillip Island Nature Parks - Penguin Parade

from US$32.40
from US$105.90
from US$62.10
4,281 results
All reviews penguin parade penguins coming no photography viewing area phillip island general viewing penguins walk cute penguins general admission taking photos every night front row seats arrive early warm clothes ultimate adventure guided ranger tour long wait
Reviewed April 4, 2018

I was so excited to see the Penguins I remember coming here as a child....I was really disapointed at the amount of people the Parade vendors literally squashed in to this event....(thought it was about the Penguins not a money making exercise) the tourists were asked time and time again to stay away from certain places and not to take fotos but that was never heeded.....such disrespect !!
There were far to many people literally 1,000's for it to be really enjoyable....every time a raft of cute penguins came into shore the rude tourists would immediatly stand up thus blocking the views for the rest of us....we came early thinking to secure a good spot..which was really silly in hindsight as the late comers just squashed in where they felt like or where the "Rangers" ushered them ....very annoying to get there so early only to have a ranger plonk hundreds of people in front of u ...so rude ..when u finally do get to see the Penguins they are so far away and it's so dark u can barley see them....I recommend to bring binoculars and rug up as it was freezing !!!.
They stress it's all about preserving the Penguins ....it's not its all about the money ......
On the upside it was a beautiful place thru the day as we went there too ...good amenities and easy access walk to the viewing area....
Penguin Parade u really need to take a look at how many people u stuff into one viewing ....it really was far too many people to be enjoyable ....we left very early and disapointed.

Date of experience: April 2018
Reviewed April 4, 2018 via mobile

Went on an organised half day excursion through viator and we opted for the additional ranger talk as well as the normal visit. Our guide (Therese)was lovely and answered all of our questions with ease and good humour.
We had a walk with her for about half an hour and then headed to our viewing spot, armed with binoculars supplied by the rangers.
You hear the penguins before you see them, they're not called little penguins for no reason!! Some of them got spooked by people still taking photos when there are signs literally everywhere not to, but with a crowd as big as you get there, it's difficult to police (if that makes sense).
It was an amazing experience and a definite highlight of our trip to Australia.

Date of experience: March 2018
Reviewed April 3, 2018

Excellent facilities and a wonderful experience to watch the Penguins come from the ocean on time and walk up the beach to their nests superb experience

Date of experience: May 2017
Reviewed April 2, 2018

Hubby and I paid to go behind the scenes with the Ultimate Adventure Experience and to be honest, I walked away so very disappointed.

We were taken behind the scenes for some added information and to be suited up and taken to the beach on the other side of the island. We were given a fold out seat and night googles to watch the penguins walk up the beach.

However I spent most of my time wondering where the penguins were and when I did see them it was looking at blurry black/ grey spots waddle up the beach mainly in the distance. The only time I could see them was when someone else shone their night vision scope at the exact same place and I was sitting the closest to the creek bed where they were meant to be walking to.

I think I saw maybe 15-20 penguins that I could see enough to say they were penguins, the others were black blurs in the distance.

On the way back to the main building we came across a couple on the side of the road but we weren't meant to stop and look at them as to not disturb them.

Maybe I should have researched the options better but I would have much preferred to be with the crowds and actually see the little penguins waddle up the beach with some kind of lights on.

I feel so disappointed, I'd been looking forward to this experience for years.

Date of experience: April 2018
1  Thank KimHindmarsh
Reviewed April 2, 2018 via mobile

We took the kids to see the penguin parade recently and paid general admission tickets thinking it would be ok. Wrong! I definitely should have paid for premium guided tickets. I was expecting that, being an eco-tourism activity that there would be strong restrictions on the number of people allowed. There were literally thousands of disrespectful tourists there. While the site does have signs requesting no photography band this is reiterated by the rangers (too few given the numbers of tourists) so many people were completely disregarding the advice and turning on their torches on their phones or taking photos, especially up near the boardwalk. The operators need to a) make this a much more exclusive event and decrease numbers allowed dramatically and more urgently b) have multilingual warnings and signage about photos and torches. Like a few of the other reviews have stated, I cannot believe that this in any way promotes long term conservation of the little penguins, it seems purely like an exercise in making money despite their not-for-profit claims.

Date of experience: March 2018