“Best Place on earth to go diving”

Ocean Quest Adventure Resort
More attraction details
Owner description: Newfoundland's only one stop Scuba and Adventure Shop! Ocean Quest consists of a Retail Shop, Bed and Breakfast, a breathtaking view of Conception Bay and ocean inspired spa. It is a 5 Star PADI Scuba Training facility with a pool on site, and we offer many different Scuba packages. Ocean Quest Adventures offers public and private boat charters of Conception Bay, kayaking tours, historic tours, whale watching tours, as well as the opportunity to snorkel with humpback whales!
Reviewed 4 March 2015

It’s about time I wrote a review for Ocean Quest Adventures. This will be a long review, but will answer most of your questions about whether you should go with Ocean Quest Adventures. If you want the short answer, you should go with them without a doubt. You will not regret it. You will leave with a lifetime of great memories.

The main reason I wanted to go was in order to dive the icebergs. Even though my wife and I came in the middle of the night, Rick Stanley, the owner, came and picked us up. He was way nice to us. He treated us like family, even though it was 1:00am in the morning. Even the airport personnel were really nice. They found Rick’s number for us, which we had misplaced.

When we came the first time, they had us stay in a nice room called the Rose Castle. The room had a hot tub (the diving is cold, so it made life nice), and it was very nice. Every morning a lady would make us breakfast. I’m talking about bacon, moose sausage, bread, or whatever we asked for. She spoiled us rotten with her amazing food. If we had to leave early, breakfast would be there. The owners invited over for dinner at least three times with amazing food on our first visit.

On my second trip there, they converted the lodge for another business venture and provided lodging at their house. My room was great. I could see the sights. Debby made me a great breakfast each morning. One dinner, I showed up with a TV dinner. That very night they made steaks and invited me to eat with them because of my pathetic dinner. I’ve never been full eating steaks till that trip. I ate scallions with them, spaghetti, and other great meals that second trip. I felt so much at home, I felt I should do the dishes! (but I didn’t).

Rick even drove me to town to see the sights and picked me up. When we came the first time, the icebergs did not show up. Because he knew I was really disappointed about that, Rick took my wife and me on a snorkeling tour for free. It felt that they did everything to make the trip amazing. People in Newfoundland are amazing. We went to a local church, and the members had us over playing Doctor Mario and eating salmon. Another member took us on a tour of Signal Hill and took us to the best place to get fish and chips.

We dove several different dives in Newfoundland. You really can’t miss. On my second trip to Newfoundland, I did dive the icebergs. The shipwrecks are amazing. Don’t miss out on the non-wreck dives like the whale bones, old whaling ship, shore dives, Bell Island, and the clapper. On those dives, you can see a lot of flounder and stingrays. The visibility is incredible for the ship wrecks and they are well intact. You can see old Marconi radios to bullets to an anchor that flew on the deck of one of the ships. The icebergs are the star of the show. It’s like seeing a skyscraper worth of ice in the water. You can watch the saltwater and freshwater mix. Ocean Quest also took pictures for me on all of my dives.
The crew is professional and nice. The people are the nicest people on earth. The scenery is amazing. How often can you say that you saw a whale, dove the whale bones, dove icebergs, and dove World War 2 wrecks all in one trip? Plus, Mountain Dew (which I now call “Mountain Berg”) tastes better when you use iceberg chunks as ice. You’ll leave with a lifetime of great memories.

5  Thank Boomliggen
There are newer reviews for Ocean Quest Adventure Resort

Reviewed 14 September 2014

We stayed with Deb & Rick at their B&B and we couldn't be happier. They treated us like family and their home is extremely comfortable and clean. Great breakfast and they have a full dive center with an amazing staff!

The snorkeling trip was a once in a lifetime experience! The team are top notch with your safety and that of the whales their primary concern. First rate equipment is available for rent and the team work very hard to make sure you have an amazing experience. Great people, amazing setting and an extremely unique experience.

1  Thank Patrick J
Reviewed 25 August 2014

Amazing day spent with Ocean Quest. We explored two WWII ship wrecks. The crew were extremely friendly and informative. They gave a great history of the wrecks and did everything possible to ensure a safe and fun excursion!

Reviewed 23 August 2014

My fiancé and I had an amazing time with ocean quest. The weather on the day of our tour was looking pretty awful but upon arrival at ocean quest, the entire crew of workers were nothing but upbeat and did a great job at pumping us up for the tour. So glad we went on this spectacular snorkelling adventure through some incredible sea caves. The views were breathtaking! We went to the very end of one of the caves and my boyfriend took out a ring and proposed. What a fantastic place for such a thing! Beyond all this excitement, it's imperative to mention how accommodating and helpful the captain and crew member were. They helped orchestrate the entire thing. Extremely welcoming, happy go lucky guys. The captain was nothing but pleasant and made you feel 100% safe at all times. The crew member was friendly and was more than willing to share his multitude of knowledge of the land. Could not have asked for a better way to spend a few hours. Thanks for everything! If ever in Newfoundland again we will definitely be coming back to Ocean Quest.

2  Thank amers17
Reviewed 10 August 2014

We had booked a tour early July with Ocean Quest but due to bad weather it was cancelled - fortunatly we were planning to stay in Newfoundland for a month so we could reschedule for August 1st.

Upon arrival we were greeted by the crew and our snorkeling gear was made available. Thick (I believe 5mm) wetsuits, boots, gloves and a hood were readily available and the team explained everything very well.

After boarding the Zodiac we got a good briefing on security and were told to mainly have fun (and obey the skipper always).

After leaving the harbour the crew spotted some whales very quickly, but decided to find some that were more 'in the mood' and after some time a pair of humpbacks was found and we got into the water.

The water was not cold at all and very quickly we saw the whales .... what a sight! It is truely amazing to see these beautiful animals up close.

Our safety swimmer directed us to the right places in the path of the whales and we spend more than an hour in the water while the whales circled us and kept coming back.

The three of us, together with the other 7 snorkelers really got our money's worth.

Meanwhile the boat was keeping some distance so not to disturb the experience.

Together with our snorkeling adventure with sharks, sea lions and turtels, it was one of the best nature experiences ever and very professionally organized.

We would recommend this highly to everybody that can swim. Do not hesitate - just do it.

1  Thank Team_Panic