“Spoiled Rotten and Loved It!!!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Melia Buenavista

Melia Buenavista
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Cayo Santa Maria
Richmond Hill, ON
“Spoiled Rotten and Loved It!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2012

Got back from MBV on Friday and can't stop thinking about the awesome time we had. I'm not going to rehash the same thing everyone's already said. I am going to say that we were spoiled rotten, treated like royalty, and loved every minute of it. I can't imagine ever going back to a "normal" all-inclusive resort again.

We had intended to branch out and explore but after settling in, we found that the resort offered us everything we needed to unwind and just relax for one week. We did not leave the resort until the bus picked us up to go back to the airport. The people are great, the food is decent, the rooms are gorgeous, and the beaches will leave you speechless. Guess it also helped that we had perfect weather every single day.

The only thing that makes me sad is that once this place catches on (which it seems to be doing quite quickly), the prices will skyrocket making it prohibitively expensive. I'm just glad I had the chance to experience this fine resort.

Hope you have a great time too!

2 Thank Goldendaisy
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write of your recent experiences at our hotel. On behalf of our staff, I thank you for your kind words of appreciation.

We take pride in ensuring that all of our guests receive top-notch service. Serving our guests and making them happy at Hotel Melia Buenavista is the very essence of our resort. We remain dedicated to doing our utmost to meet your needs.

I look forward to welcoming you again at our beautiful tropical resort.

Best regards,

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (528)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2012

My girl friend and I stayed at the Melia Buenavista from Feb-8 to 15th, the service was was beyond expectations, the food and drinks were exceptional, the hotel grounds are beautiful and kept up by incredible gardeners , the management and the employees are all true professionals and really do care about their guests. We will return again and again.

Maria and Jacinto

Room Tip: 2322 great room with a full ocean view
1 Thank jbicda
Dear Valued Guest,

Our goal is to make our guests, repeat guests. I really appreciate your concise review and I am delighted to know this experience was spectacular in every sense. Congratulations!

okanagan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2012

My wife and I just returned from a fantastic vacation at this remarkable resort.
All the praise that the Melia Buenavista has received is well deserved.
After flying all night on the red eye check-in was quick painless and the supplied wet face cloth was a nice touch. Unfortunately arriving at 8 ;30 am means not having a room ready to check in to for a few hrs. (we were by this time oh so ready for a shower). So we had to put our luggage in the lobby storage area and change in the bathrooms. That's the way it is when arrive before check-in time
When we got to our room we were very impressed, large and spacious with a beautiful ocean view over looking the sunset beach.
The maids kept the room spotless everyday and there is a turn down service nightly( oddly our balcony never got swept during our stay,we pushed the sand from our snorkelling gear off the deck with our towels)
Our outdoor shower was very private unlike some of the previous reviews, it looks like they have placed more slats in the open slots. An outdoor shower, was something that have never had before, I think would a real treat to experience, if you had hot water. Unfortunately we never did. Tepid, but never hot. We let out butlers know, and they had somebody look at it everyday, and one day we did have hot water for five minutes and it was wonderful, but it didn't last. They did their best to fix-it but, in Cuba things sometimes take awhile to fix. We know that.
The food was excellent, the best we have had in Cuba ( this is our 4th trip, third to Cayo Santa Marie) The service was excellent ( except one al-carte meal, it took 2.5 hrs. to eat, a bit too long, lots of waiting between courses) and the musicians in the restaurants and lobby are just amazingly gifted. They were so good that one night at the lobby bar they were called back to for encore at the end of the night. I have never seen that before. Often when musicians are done or take a break, it is a bit relief, not having to talk over them so to speak. Not these guys, they are so good, I don't think anyone wanted them to quit. Really you have to hear them.
Speaking of superstars, the guys at the pool bar are just that. Norge,Oreste and Noe are far away the best bar guys we have ever had pleasure the meeting on our eight Caribbean all- inclusive vacations. It seems to me that in most resorts, bar position is a bit of a senior position and the guys who get it are often older and maybe a bit jaded. Think about it, theses guys deal with all kinds of vacationers in various state of inebriation, that think this is once in a lifetime experience, I imagine yourself in their position, dealing with that many people can get old very fast. But these guys make everyone feel so special and I think they really do like meeting and serving people. rare and special folk indeed. A bouquet to them for sure.
Our butlers Edel and Ernesto were excellent. The concept of having a butler to take care of the little things that enviably pop up from time to time is excellent. Things that normally would have to go to reception for is more personally handled, we liked it.
In fact all the staff is outstanding, never had one person give us substandard service the whole week.
One thing thing that we found interesting was all the staff spoke English, some better than other of course, but everyone spoke some. It has been our experience that often the maids and gardeners speak only Spanish, it was really being able to talk to everyone, and the gardeners are super friendly always giving flowers to the women in the mornings, nice touch.
The three beaches are all great and have there own charm.
The main beach has incredible snorkelling, we have gone on many snorkelling excursions that have taken us to places that have far less fish than this spot that you just walk in to water to in front the beach bar. Amazing. Our last day the water was red flagged but most days the sea was fairly gentle with two flat calm days. Prefect bliss.
This a very small resort that excels because of an outstanding staff, they are the ones that make the difference. We will have a hard time going anywhere else now, I fear that we have been too spoiled.

1 Thank Tim D
Dear Valued Guest,

On behalf of Melia Buenavista Team, we wish to thank you for taking the time to share such gracious comments about your stay with us, and especially about our staff and musicians.

Oreste, Norge and all our team will be very glad to know that their effort and genuine care for our guests is recognized.

Thank you once again for sharing your experience with others, and I look forward to welcoming you back to Melia Buenavista soon.

Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2012

Just back from 14 days at the Melia Buenavista. In a single word it was “FABULOUS”!
This was our 7th trip to Cuba and 3rd in this region. We have stayed at the RHE and Melia Cayo Santa Maria but this was the best. Most of what I have to say has been reported in recent reviews of this hotel. However, I’ll take the time to share our experience with you. Our stay was 10-24 Feb 2012. The weather cooperated for the most part with only a couple of days that were cooler with stiffer winds. The rain that we incurred lasted a few minutes and was only sprinkles not enough to move us from our sun-beds.
The staff was the friendliest we have encounter any resort we have been to. Everyone normally single out the pool bar staff. One of my favorite staff members was Armando, a hulk of a man, yet a gentle and very polite gardener. Always a friendly greeting and after I got to know him a firm handshake. This man is truly a big part of why this resort is so beautiful.
Our concierge was Aylin. She took great care of us from the moment we arrived. This included a fresh fruit tray and a bottle of champagne upon our arrival in our room. She also arranged for an in room dinner that included some live music. While the Alma trio preformed a few songs, Aylin filled the soaker tub with a bubble bath for my wife.

All meals were on the resort. Our favorite restaurant was Los Caribes for dinner. On Valentines Day we had late dinner at Los Marinos. The service and the food were not good. Everyone with 8:30 dinner reservations were served each course as a collective rather than table by table. If you skipped a course you were required to wait for the next with everyone else. The servers seemed more interested in setting tables for breakfast the next morning. We had stuffed chicken as our main course. It was barely warmed when it was served. Beyond this one incident, we were happy with all other meals.

During our stay there were 4 consecutive days that no clean beach towels are available. A staff member informed us that this problem was due to transportation problems from the laundry back to the resort. This hotel needs to have contingency plans in place to correct this type of problem. If a vehicle is broken down, hire another. If need be se several smaller vehicles if required.

The outdoor shower was great. Our shower had been enclosed using plywood. I also noticed that the resort had crews installing wood in the openings for the showers.

I fully recommend this resort. Many we talked to say they selected the resort, as it was adults only!
We selected this resort for a quiet relaxing vacation. That is precisely what we got.

To Mark and Rennada from Lagoon City Ontario and Peter and Fionna from the UK we really enjoyed meeting you, It was great.

Rick & Arlene

1 Thank doneworken
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for your feedback on our hotel. Please be assured that your comments make a difference and that we will continue to refine the services we offer our esteemed guests. We remain dedicated to continued refinement as we craft Cuba’s finest five-star resort.

Alberta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2012

I just got back from our holiday and had a great time

The staff at the pool bar were amazing. Thank you Orestes, noe, Jorge and osmany. The service you provided was first class.

The bar staff at the ocean were not as friendly. Wish I could remember names cause you were very rude

Thank you to our consieurs Mikael and Xavier you were amazing.

Beware that it is not wise to feed the fish bread. I was snorkeling and got bit by fish and I was not feeding them. My finger was bleeding and the staff at beach bar wouldn't even help me. I had to go to main pool bar for a bandaid.

If you are looking for a quiet resort and enjoy touristy excursions this is place for you. If you are wanting to see culture and countryside do not go here.

I enjoyed the resort but I wanted to see the Cuban culture.

• Stayed February 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank winterwonderland00
Dear Valued Guest,

We are pleased that you have selected the Melia Buenavista hotel. It is nice to hear that you had a great stay and that you took advantage of the magnificent natural sites of this area.

Thank you for sharing your impressions with us.

However I want to apologize on behalf of the beach bar staff for not providing you with a band aid.

We do look forward to have the opportunity to welcome you back to this Sanctuary of the Senses.

Best Wishes,

Markham, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2012

Just got back from Melia Benavista and had a wonderful time. The room was outstanding, the weather perfect and the service was as good as it gets. If you are looking for a holiday to just relax, then this is the place to go. The resort is very small and that makes it really nice, as no matter what room you get, you are close to everything. The staff, from the gardener to the butler, were very pleasant and always had an "Ola" for you. And speaking about butler - Lucas is exceptional.

Special mention here goes to Oreste who served drinks by the poolside. He was attentive, smiling and efficient. I was very impressed! As well, it appeared that he got great assistance from Noe and Norge at the bar.

The sax player is really good and combine his sounds with the champagne and orange juice at each sunset, it makes for a special evening.

The snorkeling is excellent and the resort provides you with fins, goggles, and snorkel at no cost. Just be sure to ask for them early as they go fast.

Only one caveat - take some bug spray and use it. I didn't and got lots of bites from the 'noseeums'.

Room Tip: Strongly recommend the ones on the west side so as to get a sunset view. (Blocks 06, 07)
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank dbc2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Comments like yours are definitively nice to read and thank you for letting us to know that our hard work achieved our goals.

Our goal is to make our guests, repeat guests. I really appreciate your review and I am delighted to know this experience was spectacular in every sense. Congratulations!

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2012

My fiance and parents visited Melia Buenavista between February 17- February 24. We had an amazing time at this resort and had nothing to complain about. The resort is truly a hidden gem with a beautiful location, luxurious looking buildings, elegant music, gourmet food, some of the best snorkeling in Cuba right off the beach and five star service to top it off.

Unfortunately, there have been some previous reviews that aren't quite up to par with what this resort truly is like. One of the easiest things to do in life is to complain. There is always little things you can pick out at any resort and I mean ANY resort. Stop worrying about the little things people and look at the big picture. Overall, this resort is definitely a five star resort for Cuban standards and even compared to some North American hotels. If you are looking for beautiful beaches, clean large beautiful rooms, romantic scenery, top notch restaurants and exclusive personalized service, this is the place to go. If your main concerns are whether the ketchup tastes the same as home or that the bed might be slightly too hard, just stay home next time.

I find it very upsetting to hear people complaining about these small little things after driving through the little cities on our way to the resort and seeing the conditions the poor Cuban people live in compared to our unnecessary luxurious lives. We should be more grateful for what we have instead of complaining about the small meaningless things in life. I mean, isn't that the point of a vacation, to relax and not worry?!

I have had had my fair share of traveling around the world including Turks & Caicos, Bermuda, Dominican Republic, Playa Del Carmen, Mayan Riviera, Cuba, Copenhagen (DenmarK), Beirut (Lebanon), New York City, Chicago, Montreal. I would put Melia Buenavista as my second favourite resort out of all the locations I have visited with first place being Turks & Caicos which cost approximately three times the price per person.

The workers at Melia Buenavista work extremely hard which truly impresses myself and my family. We had the joy of having Lucas and Edel as our personal butlers during our trip. They both did a great job and Lucas even arranged a dinner in our room with live musicians one evening. Edel surprised us with fresh flowers in our room one day and always made sure we had clean towels. Both of them did such a great job and our vacation wouldn't have been as nice without them.

The guys at the pool bar worked extremely hard. Oreste, Norge and Noe were all extremely hard workers. Oreste would run drinks to people in the hot sun all day long and always made sure to top up our drinks when they were running low. The hotel is always looking for ways to upgrade the experience for their guests. One day, my fiance and I were lounging on one of the pool beds and Oreste and the manager stopped by to bring us our drinks on a brand new wooden tray they had constructed in order to give us somewhere to place our drinks. They were very excited about this as we were the first ones to use the tray and they didn't know that I had been watching them for the last twenty minutes testing it on one of the other empty sun beds before bringing it to us. It was really nice to see that they truly care about their guests. (I have added a picture of this try to my review)

Overall, we had an amazing time and we will definitely go back. Thank you Melia Buenavista for a great vacation!!!

I will try and add some updated pictures of the resort to the their Facebook page as well.

Room Tip: -Great for a quiet relaxing vacation (Not a party resort) -Try the snorkeling at the middle beach a...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank B12Toronto
Dear Valued Guest,

We thank you immensely for taking the time to share your detailed experience with others and for your nice comments about our resort, food, and service.

It is very satisfactory to know that we became the scenery of a family vacation. It´s always nice to travel with the family.

I am overjoyed to read that your visit to Melia Buenavista was a dream trip and that our staff made you feels welcomed and loved. We will keep on working hard to provide the best of all ourselves. Our goal is always to exceed our guests´ expectations.

Our main commitment is to maintain the high standards you have experienced through consistency training to our staff; of whom we are very proud and believe is the finest in Cayo Santa María.

Thank you for your kind remarks about your butler Edel and Lucas. They will be very happy and pleased to read throughout your review. Comments like yours encourage our staff to be better.

If you would like to plan your 1st anniversary with us, please contact me. I look for forward to welcoming you back to Melia Buenavista very soon.

Best regards,

#5 of 62 in Varadero
4.5 of 5 bubbles 4,961 reviews
217.8 km away
Paradisus Princesa del Mar Resort & Spa

Been to Melia Buenavista? Share your experiences!